3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ketosis sticks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/286647-ketosis-sticks.html)

Kellimomo3 08-23-2013 03:24 PM

Ketosis sticks

My friend just told me that pharmacies actually sell sticks to pee on that tell you if you are in ketosis! Is that true? Do you guys use them?

calibrate 08-23-2013 04:26 PM

Yes, most drug stores and super stores have them.

Art3mis 08-23-2013 04:38 PM

http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-s...-your-ketostix

i did use them briefly at the start of the diet, but they do eventually become unable to detect ketones in the urine. If you read the above article you will see why.

JLUS 08-23-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellimomo3 (Post 4823586)
My friend just told me that pharmacies actually sell sticks to pee on that tell you if you are in ketosis! Is that true? Do you guys use them?

Save your $$. Results are not particularly accurate (and read posted article). If you are following IP Protocol 100%, you will be in Ketosis within the week (some sooner, some later.) you can also search this forum for ketosis symptoms that are probably more accurate and free!!

dsjsmom23 08-23-2013 06:07 PM

That is true, you can buy them at a drug store. I used them, but they drive me crazy, so I don't use them anymore.
They are innacurate.

Frenchy71 08-23-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellimomo3 (Post 4823586)

No I do not use them at all - When I did the "Lindora" diet a long time ago, I bought them and they were driving me crazy because I never showed that I was in ketosis but I was losing weight...so in the trash they went !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art3mis (Post 4823620)
http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-s...-your-ketostix

i did use them briefly at the start of the diet, but they do eventually become unable to detect ketones in the urine. If you read the above article you will see why.

Thank you for the link - very informative

Kellimomo3 08-23-2013 06:57 PM

I am following IP 100% and I am in my first week so I am curious about ketosis. I feel better than I expected to feel during this detox. I might get some just to see what they say??

MidgieMoon 08-23-2013 07:02 PM

Ketostix

I am 2 weeks in and using the stix for now. I hit ketosis on day 3. I am down 13.4 pounds in 2 weeks, and am following the protocol exactly. So far so good, but I don't need the six anymore.

Good luck!

M.

Annik 08-23-2013 09:14 PM

I have a blood glucose meter that also measures ketones. The blood serum method is accurate whereas the pee sticks are not.

Annik 08-23-2013 09:19 PM

Also, following protocol does not necessarily guarantee ketosis. Some people who are very carb sensitive must eat fewer carbs than maximum protocol would provide.

jmanovich 08-23-2013 11:36 PM

I work in a pharmacy and yes we do sell a product called Ketostix. The purpose of them is for diabetics to monitor themselves for a serious complication called diabetic ketoacidosis. However, low carb dieters often do buy them to help tell us if we are in ketosis!

Being the inquisitive Pharmacist I am- I bought some and did my own little trial with them. I found that they certainly worked. I only did it for a day or two about 7-10 days into IP. I compared my results to my husbands. Poor guy had to pee on sticks for me! HAHA Mine were a completely different color than his- his being negative, and mine positive! wahoo! It was great confirmation that the diet was working!

I should really test again- I have fallen off the wagon (minimal little things) the past couple days so I would be curious to see if I am still in ketosis! I seem to be one that can play around with the IP protcol and still lose- so far anyway! That may change!!

HalfPass 08-24-2013 07:40 AM

I am a bit addicted to the sticks, it is really reinforcing for me to see that I am in Ketosis. They also give me an idea of how many carbs I can eat and remain in ketosis.

lisa32989 08-24-2013 08:14 AM

Just know that the stix will lose effectiveness over time, as the body becomes more efficient at processing ketones. It will actually burn them rather than sluff them off in the urine.

Annik 08-24-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmanovich (Post 4823813)

I should really test again- I have fallen off the wagon (minimal little things) the past couple days so I would be curious to see if I am still in ketosis! I seem to be one that can play around with the IP protcol and still lose- so far anyway! That may change!!

Once i understood what a powerful weapon ketosis is against weight loss, I could not understand how anyone would want to do things to jeopardize ketosis! It takes a while to get there and is so valuable that, from my humble point of view, is not worth squandering!

Good luck!

jmanovich 08-24-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annik (Post 4824022)
Once i understood what a powerful weapon ketosis is against weight loss, I could not understand how anyone would want to do things to jeopardize ketosis! It takes a while to get there and is so valuable that, from my humble point of view, is not worth squandering!

Good luck!

I am not doing things significant enough to knock me out of ketosis in my opinion. And also, the beauty of it all is- you don't have to be in ketosis to lose weight. (Although, I know everyone is different, this is just what I have discovered about myself so far) Case in point- the alternative plan for diabetics. Keeps you out of ketosis, but you still lose, albeit at a slower rate.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to add some extras (and by extras I mean non-carb, non-sugar things) that are technically not phase 1 compliant here and there and have still been losing 3-4lbs a week consistently so far. This may change as I am quite new to the plan yet, and I keep monitoring my situation closely. I believe its all about molding IP to work for you in your personal situation and for your unique body. :)