IP Daily Chat Thursday 8/22/2013

You're on Page 4 of 6
Go to
  • Quote: How long have you been back and what has your weight loss been since then?

I'm curious because I'm going to Austria and Turkey in November for 12 days and I'm terrified that I'll stop losing weight when I return.
    I have been back almost a month. I landed late on 7/27 and restarted on 7/29, as I needed a day to restock my veggies! I lost around 4 lbs during my 2 week mini phase off. I came back up 2.5 lbs from before I left and I have lost 12 lbs since then, including the 2.5 I had gained. I hope those numbers make sense. If not:
    -July 4 (day 1 of phase 2): 208
    -July 11 (day 1 of phase 3): 206.0
    -July 17 (day before leaving for vacation): 204.2
    -July 29 (day 1 back on phase 1): 206 and change (I don't remember exactly)
    -Today: 194.0

My whole theory was that I was going to Paris and London and I wanted to enjoy the culture, including the food, in both places. My coach encouraged this, as long as I could get right back on when I got home, which I did. I must admit, it wasn't as easy to get back on plan having indulged in croissants, wine, and cheese for 10 days abroad, but I knew this is what I had to do.

I hope that is helpful!
  • Quote: Howdy folks! Good to see everyone is doing so well! Me? I am hungry! Not sure what's different this time around but I am finding myself feeling very, very hungry! I keep forgetting to check my blood levels for ketosis in the morning but I can't imagine why I wouldn't be. I'm staying OP and I will power thru this! Will be adding an extra unrestricted today and a huge bowl of lettuce when I get home!!! Nom, nom, nom! (You know you're hungry when your mouth waters for lettuce!)
    This just made LOL! I agree, you *know* you're hungry when what you're really dying to have is lettuce!! I find myself day dreaming at work about a huge lettuce bowl as soon as get home!

Good for us though, for not craving/dreaming about chocolate or other junk food instead!!

~theresa~
  • Quote: This just made LOL! I agree, you *know* you're hungry when what you're really dying to have is lettuce!! I find myself day dreaming at work about a huge lettuce bowl as soon as get home!

Good for us though, for not craving/dreaming about chocolate or other junk food instead!!

~theresa~
    Some have found that hunger precedes a visit from the whoosh fairy! Good luck!
  • Welcome! It sounds like you are doing great!
    Quote: Good afternoon. This is my very first post. I've been lurking and educating for a while. Thanks for the inspiration.

I'm on Day 9 of IP. No bad symptoms and I think I am even sleeping better? (generally chronic insomnia)

My first few days were awesome, seeing a couple of pounds a day, but then I hit a wall. Days 7, 8 and 9 no loss at all. (One could say I don't need to weigh every day but I find that right now, I need the incentive and motivation) I'm a little freaked out but my clinic/coach said that according to the fat loss test, i'm in ketosis (my first WI was on Day 4 and I had a 2 lb loss but her starting weight was lower than I was when I actually started).

I'm trying to stay positive and i'm staying on plan. I did sort out that TOM may be arriving (early) and I have felt bloated. Will hope that is the issue and see how it goes on Saturday at WI # 2.

I, like others, tend to have some constipation issues so the clinic has me taking the Calm product twice a day. I "think" it is helping.

Eeeks - TMI.

I'm not generally a "share-er" but thought I'd give this a try since everyone here seems so supportive and helpful.

Thanks to all who post such encouraging and educating items! Happy to join the group.
  • Quote: I love the zucchini/potato rolls. Since I try for savory, rather than sweet and restrict soy protein, the potato rolls have become a lifesaver!

The EAS does freeze but you can't let it freeze solid (same with an IP RTD). Just pour it into a different container (like the bowl you'll eat it from), and put it in the freezer for a couple of hours. You might want to check it occasionally & stir it until you get the soft-serve consistency...one of those tiny ice cream makers would work too, but this works....its just not a put & forget kind of thing.
    I will definitely be adding the zucchini next time! I lean heavily on sweet IP products but I need to lay off like you guys were saying yesterday. With the RTD: I put it in a bowl in the freezer and left it, when I came back it was frozen solid! My mistake was just leaving it! Thanks for the tips

Art3mis - Don't know if you're gonna check back in today but wanted to thank you for the tip on my kale smoothie on Tuesday! I tried again today leaving out the stems and it was world of difference. It was just as good as my spinach but with a little more of a "bite" from the kale... and zero chunks!
  • Good afternoon all. I am still slammed at work but miss you all.
  • Quote:
    I would have phased off for a trip like that, as well. Too many variables you just cannot control for. I've done lots of domestic vacations & stayed OP but leaving the country is a whole different animal.

Accept that this is "maintenance practice". Instead of being scared, re-frame and start calling it maintenance practice. Consider it a mental and physical break from the super-restrictive diet but don't consider yourself off-plan. Consider it a challenge to maintain! We have to learn about that too. It isn't too early to start learning. It IS possible to have a vacation without a weight gain. Can you do it?

You don't have to accept this challenge but I thought it might help get you out of the fear you expressed.

I phased off for 6 weeks over the summer for health reasons, although I hadn't reached goal. I picked a "drop dead" date when I was returning to P1. I like your "wheels down" visual. I didn't gain weight and didn't weigh myself until I'd been home and back OP for a week. Maintenance was a success! As has been my return to weight loss.

We CAN do this!
    You are so right Lisa! We can do this. Your phase off has been my motivation for doing it for my trip, just needed to get over the fright. Yes, I can use these next few weeks for maintenance practice!
  • Quote: I hear ya! I phased off for my trip to Europe in July and I think it really helped me be successful after the trip. I continued to lose weight (noticeably less, though) during the phase off, and only gained 2.5lbs while on vacation (and didn't restrict myself at all). I felt like I was cheating with phase 3 breakfasts, though I sure did enjoy them while they lasted! I actually felt like I was cheating the entire time because I wasn't quite ready to be done with IP (does that make sense?), but I convinced myself that phasing off was actually the responsible thing to do. The day I got home I was back on phase 1 and it has been smooth sailing ever since. Good luck!
    Thanks for your update amt6. Your info along with Lisa's has been so helpful and encouraging. I'm so excited for my trip. I'm actually going to a french restaurant tonight as a prelude for next week. Looked at the menu to preplan. I'm actually surprised at myself that I'm not looking at this as a time to go crazy and eat everything. In the past, it would have been a free for all in the eating dept but not the new me!
  • Had WI today, and saw second largest weight loss since I started IP, down 6.6 lbs My coach and I were both crying tears of happiness .

This officially puts me to my "Hawaii" goal which was to loose half of me, so now I can start the fun part of shopping for best prices for my trip which I will take next year.

I encourage all of you to stick with the plan, whether you have a little or a lot to loose, IP works!
  • Quote: Had WI today, and saw second largest weight loss since I started IP, down 6.6 lbs My coach and I were both crying tears of happiness .

This officially puts me to my "Hawaii" goal which was to loose half of me, so now I can start the fun part of shopping for best prices for my trip which I will take next year.

I encourage all of you to stick with the plan, whether you have a little or a lot to loose, IP works!
    Congratulations ! Magnificent accomplishment...and wonderful example to everyone..Aloha!!!
  • Quote: Had WI today, and saw second largest weight loss since I started IP, down 6.6 lbs My coach and I were both crying tears of happiness .

Congrats!
  • Quote: Thanks Little Star!
    "I don't have the answer for you, but I wanted to say congratulations!!!!!
    If you don't get an answer tonight, post again tomorrow so more people will see your question. I know it's been discussed before."

Thanks Crazynette
    "Congrats!!! I think you should phase off properly following the protocols. Maybe only a week of phase 2, and a week of phase 3, but I think it's important to slowly reintroduce carbs back in. Otherwise you might end up getting sick. However being pregnant you might end of sick anyways!"

Thanks LizRR!
    "Immediately move to Phase 3 and congrats! I am having my little girl in 2 weeks...love to hear about the IP babies! Waiting for the brave IPer who names thir baby Tran."

Hehe! This won’t be happening! Congrats on your baby girl!

I am so happy to have been a part of this incredible site! This is what I considered my true coach. I stayed with my real coach for the accountability, but you guys are the ones who have coached me!

I will be moving into phase 3 and on into pregnancy!!!! I've been waiting for this for so long! We have been trying for 5 years. After two years we got pregnant, but I miscarried. It's been 3 years now and I'm so scared to miscarry again I am afraid to be excited. Keeping it to immediate family and my friends who are family to me right now, and you guys!

I will still be checking in and will be back on IP at some point.
    Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am very happy for you- and I felt the need to comment to you because trying to get pregnant is one of my main reasons for beginning IP. I had my first daughter easily- tried for 4 months only, but my cycles have always been irregular. So I thought after she was born meh I don't have PCOS or anything because she was easy to conceive! How wrong was I- this time around I have been trying for almost a year (10 months now) to conceive baby #2. Now I know that isn't even that long- I know others try much longer than that. But I started going to the OB-GYN and he kept on saying to me lose weight lose weight...and I would get so mad at him. But I guess he finally go through to me that the weight is my biggest barrier to conceiving. It took me about 5 months to finally get to the point where I realized I needed to get healthier. Another couple turn around points as well- my insulin levels are sky high- meaning I definitely have insulin dysfunction and insulin resistance, and signs of PCOS. And then during an abdominal ultrasound that I had to rule out any structural issues to infertility- they happened to find a "spot" on my liver. This was very scary. I was terrified that I had liver cancer for a few weeks. I ended up going for a CT scan of my liver and it was found that the "spot" was only an area of "sparing" of fatty liver disease. Meaning my liver is fatty with the one little area not being fatty which shows up on the ultrasound as a tumor-like spot. So I researched fatty liver disease and realized that it is caused by being overweight and that losing weight can reverse it. I think that is what really hit home for me. The weight was controlling me- it was preventing me from having my baby #2 and it has been harming my liver. That was it. I have had enough of the weight controlling me- time for me to control it!

I have been on IP for 3 weeks tomorrow. I am happy to report I am down another 4lbs at my WI today! I am now down 15lbs and 15 inches in total. (230.4 to 215.4) I am very happy and proud of myself! I even battled a very bad respiratory illness this week and an eye infection to boot. I even stuck through making my toddler her "toddler foods" without sneaking a bite here or there. It is soooo worth it to see the scale move down!

It was also my Mom's 50th Birthday yesterday- and I didn't have cake! I have had three birthday celebrations since starting IP- and not once have I had cake. This is truly one of the biggest accomplishments of my life I have had so far and it's only been 3 weeks! I am very excited for the future! And I also have you girls on here to thank as well! I have gotten so much info and support from you all! THANK YOU! Feeling very blessed today!

Oh and I wanted to add - Shrinkingsusie- you are doing AMAZING! Congrat to you! Let's keep on truckin! I know we will both reach our goals in no time at all!

AMAZING AND ALOHA!!!

Quote: Some have found that hunger precedes a visit from the whoosh fairy! Good luck!
    Oooh! A whoosh would be awesome!!!

Quote: This just made LOL! I agree, you *know* you're hungry when what you're really dying to have is lettuce!! I find myself day dreaming at work about a huge lettuce bowl as soon as get home!

~theresa~
    Not that lettuce is my first choice but, as they say, if you aren't hungry for lettuce then chances are you aren't really hungry but maybe bored, stresed, etc.
  • Quote: Congratulations on your pregnancy! I am very happy for you- and I felt the need to comment to you because trying to get pregnant is one of my main reasons for beginning IP. I had my first daughter easily- tried for 4 months only, but my cycles have always been irregular. So I thought after she was born meh I don't have PCOS or anything because she was easy to conceive! How wrong was I- this time around I have been trying for almost a year (10 months now) to conceive baby #2. Now I know that isn't even that long- I know others try much longer than that. But I started going to the OB-GYN and he kept on saying to me lose weight lose weight...and I would get so mad at him. But I guess he finally go through to me that the weight is my biggest barrier to conceiving. It took me about 5 months to finally get to the point where I realized I needed to get healthier. Another couple turn around points as well- my insulin levels are sky high- meaning I definitely have insulin dysfunction and insulin resistance, and signs of PCOS. And then during an abdominal ultrasound that I had to rule out any structural issues to infertility- they happened to find a "spot" on my liver. This was very scary. I was terrified that I had liver cancer for a few weeks. I ended up going for a CT scan of my liver and it was found that the "spot" was only an area of "sparing" of fatty liver disease. Meaning my liver is fatty with the one little area not being fatty which shows up on the ultrasound as a tumor-like spot. So I researched fatty liver disease and realized that it is caused by being overweight and that losing weight can reverse it. I think that is what really hit home for me. The weight was controlling me- it was preventing me from having my baby #2 and it has been harming my liver. That was it. I have had enough of the weight controlling me- time for me to control it!

I have been on IP for 3 weeks tomorrow. I am happy to report I am down another 4lbs at my WI today! I am now down 15lbs and 15 inches in total. (230.4 to 215.4) I am very happy and proud of myself! I even battled a very bad respiratory illness this week and an eye infection to boot. I even stuck through making my toddler her "toddler foods" without sneaking a bite here or there. It is soooo worth it to see the scale move down!

It was also my Mom's 50th Birthday yesterday- and I didn't have cake! I have had three birthday celebrations since starting IP- and not once have I had cake. This is truly one of the biggest accomplishments of my life I have had so far and it's only been 3 weeks! I am very excited for the future! And I also have you girls on here to thank as well! I have gotten so much info and support from you all! THANK YOU! Feeling very blessed today!

Oh and I wanted to add - Shrinkingsusie- you are doing AMAZING! Congrat to you! Let's keep on truckin! I know we will both reach our goals in no time at all!
    Wow! Welcome! You are doing great! So glad you are taking your health seriously! I have heard rumors about IP babies being common so who knows? This diet might do the trick!
  • Quote: So today is day 2 of my mini phase off for vacation. The breakfasts are huge! LOL. Almost too much to eat since I have been having a shake and banana almost everyday for 5 months. (alternative plan) I debated not phasing out and staying on Ph1 until I left for France next thursday but decided against it. It's difficult to wrap my brain around eating more food for breakfast and it's scary to think that my losses will be nil for a few weeks. It's so amazing to me that I have incorporated this way of eating into my lifestyle after fighting weight issues for most of my life. I'm going to stick to my mini phase off and then back to phase 1 with gusto when the plane touches the ground on my return trip.
    Can you elaborate on how to do a mini phase off? I am thinking about doing this for a vacation coming up mid-September. Thanks!