3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   college student (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/286562-college-student.html)

jojobananas 08-21-2013 11:38 AM

college student

Hi guys, I will be returning to school in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone (college students or not!) have any tips or tricks for surviving the first few months of this semester. The no drinking thing will be tough but I guess that is what sparkling water with lime is for :). I am not telling my friends I am doing the diet, any ideas on how to store food, interesting recipe/snack ideas, organization tips etc would be much appreciated!

Frenchy71 08-21-2013 11:43 AM

Just a question : Why are you tring to keep it as a "secret" ? Some friends might be encouraging you to keep up with the IP

5tropes 08-21-2013 11:50 AM

hi. i just told everyone who asked that i am on a "detox" through my acupuncturist. It detoxes my whole body, my liver, kidneys etc. I say it is a "detox fast." everyone is very supportive. I drink my drinks and eat salads at school. no problem.

jojobananas 08-21-2013 11:50 AM

I totally understand where you are coming from but for me it would be the exact opposite :( my boyfriend knows and he is really encouraging (although he would love me at any size) but I've found friends can get jealous despite themselves and dont always want you to succeed :( I'd rather not surround myself with the negativity, which is why I come to this forum, it is filled with such supportive kind people

WillowVee 08-21-2013 12:10 PM

Only a couple of people close to me know exactly what I'm doing. I don't blame you for keeping it close. There are strong opinions out there re. diet plans. Why expend energy having to explain yourself when the questions start? Regarding going back to school, meal planning will be key for you, imo. And make sure you have a bar or a snack with you in case you're caught somewhere.

coloradogirl 08-21-2013 12:46 PM

Totally understand! My friends are not necessarily UNsupportive but I definitely feel like a drag and get tired of explaining my healthy choices. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it to yourself. You'll probably have to say something, even if it's just that you're eating healthier.

Remember you can have your meat and veggies at any time of the day. If it's easier to eat two cups of veggies before school than it is during, have a spinach shake/salad/whatev for breakfast and keep IP bars in your backpack! Make it work for you!

When you eat with friends, try to make it your 8oz meat meal. A burger wrapped in lettuce draws far less attention than a dry salad with water. Eat an IP snack RIGHT before you go out so you aren't tempted to cheat. I have snuck my bar in the backseat of a friends car on the way to brewery. There are people on this thread that talk about taking their purse to the bathroom at a restaurant so they can eat their IP snack in peace! Ha ha.

Also... someone is probably going to get super pissed off at me for saying this - but I've had the occasional drink on IP! I used to be a daily drinker (couldn't wait to get off work and have my margi!)but I've really cut down to once every two weeks or so. And when I do drink, I make sure it's diet coke and whiskey. This drink has no carbs or sugar. However, I have had the worst hangovers of my life on IP so beware of that! Make sure you are drinking lots of extra water! I'm not encouraging you to drink but if you must, that's what has worked for me. I've have still lost on the day/day after drinking so it doesn't knock you out of keto. But that's being totally 100% OP other than the drinks. So take that as you will!

nolasmurf 08-21-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradogirl (Post 4821873)
Totally understand! My friends are not necessarily UNsupportive but I definitely feel like a drag and get tired of explaining my healthy choices. I don't blame you for wanting to keep it to yourself. You'll probably have to say something, even if it's just that you're eating healthier.

Remember you can have your meat and veggies at any time of the day. If it's easier to eat two cups of veggies before school than it is during, have a spinach shake/salad/whatev for breakfast and keep IP bars in your backpack! Make it work for you!

When you eat with friends, try to make it your 8oz meat meal. A burger wrapped in lettuce draws far less attention than a dry salad with water. Eat an IP snack RIGHT before you go out so you aren't tempted to cheat. I have snuck my bar in the backseat of a friends car on the way to brewery. There are people on this thread that talk about taking their purse to the bathroom at a restaurant so they can eat their IP snack in peace! Ha ha.

Also... someone is probably going to get super pissed off at me for saying this - but I've had the occasional drink on IP! I used to be a daily drinker (couldn't wait to get off work and have my margi!)but I've really cut down to once every two weeks or so. And when I do drink, I make sure it's diet coke and whiskey. This drink has no carbs or sugar. However, I have had the worst hangovers of my life on IP so beware of that! Make sure you are drinking lots of extra water! I'm not encouraging you to drink but if you must, that's what has worked for me. I've have still lost on the day/day after drinking so it doesn't knock you out of keto. But that's being totally 100% OP other than the drinks. So take that as you will!

Bless your sweet heart! You are the first that has admitted drinking and not acted like its a huge freakin deal. I'm a rum drinker so diet come and rum has always been my drink. Now I feel better about my beach vacation coming up. I will allow myself one drink and not feel bad!

coloradogirl 08-21-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolasmurf (Post 4821876)
Bless your sweet heart! You are the first that has admitted drinking and not acted like its a huge freakin deal. I'm a rum drinker so diet come and rum has always been my drink. Now I feel better about my beach vacation coming up. I will allow myself one drink and not feel bad!

Nice! Yes I am all for people enjoying themselves on vacation as long as they get back to business when they get home. And I also think if you make yourself miserable while on IP you are more likely to quit altogether. Slow losses are better than no losses if IP is what works for you. I know that opinion is not popular!

FrostyBobber 08-21-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradogirl (Post 4821881)
Nice! Yes I am all for people enjoying themselves on vacation as long as they get back to business when they get home. And I also think if you make yourself miserable while on IP you are more likely to quit altogether. Slow losses are better than no losses if IP is what works for you. I know that opinion is not popular!

Anyone know a no carb beer? lol

(I am also happy u addressed this :) )

lisa32989 08-21-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradogirl (Post 4821873)

Nobody is gonna get PO'd.

A lot of our social activities involve drinking, as well. We are huge craft beer lovers, foodies (with wine), and I love high-end tequilas and good vodka. That being said, IP is a no-alchocol protocol and I've managed every trip, weekend, tailgate, party, holiday, beach vacation, wedding, etc sans alcohol for over a year.
All of my friends keep asking me when I'll drink again. Since I've picked a date to phase off, I'm now telling them Halloween (15 months and 3 days, but who is keeping track? ;) )

Bottom line: it depends on how quickly you want to lose weight. IP is designed for quick weight loss. The same people who cheat are the ones who come in & complain about low weigh-ins, expecting sympathy, often leaving out the info about the cheat.

It cannot be both ways. With any knowledge of ketogenic diets, you learn you will burn alchohol before you burn fat. If you drink alcohol, you choose to put the fat loss on hold. I choose fat loss. The not-drinking is temporary. Sticking to protocol is completely up to you. Believe me, nobody is PO'd here. Do what you want. But at least be honest about it when reporting weight losses.

saskgirl 08-21-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4821964)
All of my friends keep asking me when I'll drink again. Since I've picked a date to phase off, I'm now telling them Halloween (15 months and 3 days, but who is keeping track? ;) )

Lol just think of what a cheap date you will be on Halloween!

You will either be under or dancing on the tables after one!