Old 08-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #1  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

Default My personal experiences with the IP Diet (analysis & results)

I am a newbie to 3FatChicks and just started the IP Diet 3 weeks ago -- and I wanted to share my experience and (perhaps somewhat scientific?) analysis of the IP Diet (Phase 1) at least on how I am responding to it.

First off I just wanted to say that this is from my own personal experience and information that I have gleaned from others including my doctors and nutritionist (as well as my IP representative). I am not a doctor myself, nor a nutritionist, nor an IP expert! And I am sure that everyone has their own different experiences and viewpoints.

My Meal Plan: What I am eating

Also I do realize that I tweaked the official Phase 1 IP diet a bit to better mesh with my body (reactions and allergies). I have a mild to moderate allergy to soy, so I stick with the few IP products that are Whey Protein (Milk Protein) based.

Also my body has never reacted well to large amounts of vegetables (it must be some sort of enzyme issue?), so I swapped the 4 cups of vegetables for 2 heaping teaspoons of Colon Cleaner mixed with water. This last tweak was done to remove the awful reaction I was getting to 4 cups of spinach a day AND to get my daily fiber intake up to 25 grams per day (a target given to me by my nutritionist). I just couldn't get my daily fiber numbers up high enough on 4 cups of vegetables. I do realize this does add a small amount of carbs to my daily total, but the fiber increase is substantial and I was willing to make that trade off.

Also being 6'4" tall, I thought I would max out the recommended meat serving to 8 oz per day. I also cut the DINNER meal into 2 separate smaller meals ... so I could eat something every 3 hours from 6AM to 9PM ... which has really kept me from getting too hungry and cheating.

The final little tweak I did was add 1/4 c. of non-fat lactose-free milk and 1 heaping tsp. of IP Chocolate Drink mix to my morning decaf coffee at 6AM. I wanted to get a bit of protein in me first thing in the morning.

That being said, here is a summary of my "meal plan" that I have been sticking to for 3 weeks.

Looking Closer at my Daily Food Intake Totals

I was curious how my body might react to this if I STUCK TO THIS RELIGIOUSLY with no deviations and no cheating. My first major concern when I totaled up my daily intake "numbers" in various categories (like fat, carbs, sugar, protein, calories, etc) was the EXTREMELY LOW reading of calories ... ONLY 840. I had been told for YEARS by both my doctors and nutritionist to never go below a daily intake of 1200 calories (for a woman) or 1500 calories (for a man). This is to prevent your body from going into "starvation mode" where you end up shutting down your body's metabolism.

This discrepancy was explained to me by my IP representative that my body will actually be burning (or eating) my own fat stores to get the extra calories it needs. I did run this by my nutritionist who didn't really respond to that specifically (I think her brain might have fried at hearing that), but only said that she has heard that people that get stomach stapling surgery are put on 800 calorie per day diets for a few months and that no long term health issues arise out of that. (Note that I personally did not get or have stomach stapling, she was just telling me about a study group that was on a very calorie restricted diet). She also thought that a super calorie-restricted diet is probably less of a health risk to me ... than me being 126 pounds overweight -- so that I should try it out and see if it works.

My Results on the IP Diet

I just wanted to say that the first few days on IP were HARD! And I got the headaches (day 2 and day 3) that some people seem to report. But by day 4 it got easier. Between day 5 and day 10 a lot of my carb and sugar addiction had passed and I was feeling better with fewer cravings -- and the diet became much easier as I settled into the "IP routine".

So here is my daily weight loss chart for the 3 weeks I have been on the IP Diet!

A Quick Analysis of my Weight Loss Chart

What struck me first was the big weight loss for the first week (first 4 days really). This (I am pretty sure) was mostly a "water dump" due to salt/sodium being restricted along with some fat loss. There is just no way the body will lose that much fat in a few days. Once the water dump was over on day 5, my weight loss settled into a nice 0.75 pounds per day loss rate (or about 5.25 pounds per week).

I think that my weight loss rate might be higher than some because 1.) I was so overweight 2.) I am 6'4" tall and might have a higher base metabolic rate 3.) I did not cheat at all (which some might).

In any case, my total weight loss from start to end (so far) is 17.25 pounds in 20 days!

Making Sense of the Numbers

It’s great when theory and reality meet up.

My 0.75 pound per day weight loss is exactly what I calculate that I should be losing according to a simple "calories in / calories out" sort of budget.

I know that the IP Diet theory says that the IP Diet is NOT a calorie counting diet, it's all about restricting carbs and sugar. That being said, it's clear that it's VERY CALORIE RESTRICTED! Being quite a bit under what most professionals consider to be optimal.

A few years ago, my resting metabolic rate was measured at 2500 calories per day. So my body needs 2500 calories a day to live … I am eating 800 … which leaves a 1700 calorie deficit per day.

Since one pound of body fat contains 3500 calories.

My body is "eating" or "burning" 1/2 a pound of fat per day to get the additional 1700 calories it needs to live.

(Also by eating over 100 grams of protein a day, it is hoped that my body wont burn any (or very little) muscle to reach its needs)

When you lose/burn FAT from the body … WATER weighing 1/2 the weight of that fat is lost at the same time (info from my Nutritionist).

So if I am losing/burning 1/2 a pound of fat a day, I am also losing 1/4 a pound of water a day.

So in theory my weight loss per day should be (1/2 pound fat) + (1/4 pounds water) = (3/4 pounds of total weight loss per day)

This is VERY CLOSE to what I am measuring on my weight loss chart (after the water dump period) ... in the steady "fat loss" part of the graph.

The science matched my empirical (measured) results almost perfectly!

I do think it makes sense that I as lose weight, and as my body "adjusts" to this new diet, my weight loss rate could and should shrink (especially if my base metabolic rate starts to adjust downward). I have seen some signs of perhaps a new less steep weight loss slope appearing over the past few days. It will be interesting to watch.

Can this be applied to others?

This I don't really know. As there are so many variables. And the question of cheating comes in -- which would throw everything off. Plus I made some adjustments to the strict Phase 1 IP Diet, which others probably won't be doing.

But I would think that if you are not cheating on the diet, that the only variable in all this when you apply to OTHERS is…. WHAT IS THEIR BASAL METABOLIC RATE (That is, how many calories do they burn (do they need to live) a day on average?)

For men (with more muscle), this tends to be higher. For very active people, this tends to be higher.

So if someones basal metabolic rate is more than 2500 calories a day, they will lose weight faster than 3/4 pounds per day. If their BMR is less, they will lose less.

Of course if they CHEAT … they will lose less too!

What I am showing for me … is the results for a 2500 calorie basal metabolic rate and sticking to the IP diet to the letter (eating only 800 calories per day or so). And with that input, I seem to be losing about 0.75 pounds per day or 5 pounds per week pretty steadily (so far at least).

I thought this was pretty interesting and wanted to share.

Please feel free to debunk anything I wrote or chime in with your own experiences.

This is only what worked for me and how the science of all this seems to work (at least from my limited perspective!)

And I don't mean to imply that any of this would apply to anyone else.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 08-19-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 262/231.5/180

Interesting! Love it! There is much to be said about the calories in/out, which will definitely work for most people, but there are lots of studies out there that show a definite metabolic advantage with a low carb diet...but whatever it is, it works!

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....icleid=1199154
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129158/

Congratulations!
Elgat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #3  
IP since 8-16-13

S/C/G: 240/225/175

Height: 5'6

Thanks for the info - interesting reading as I learn more about IP and the effects on my body. I'm only day 4 and following the plan to the letter and other than not sleeping great (which I usually don't) I've felt fine. Can't imagine eating 4 cups of spinach though....so many veggies my frig is bursting (I even riced cauliflower last night and it was yummy). Love the science information - hope you continue to share your experience.
Lj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #4  
Serial Dieter

Elgat8, yes I totally agree with you. The low carb diet aspect is really key with me ... what I forgot to mention is my blood sugars are totally normal now. And they got that way in 10 days on the IP Diet.

Previous to starting the IP Diet, I had a blood sugar anomaly called the "Dawn Effect" where I had high blood sugar readings right upon waking (of about 150 to 160) ... then it would fall off during to day to a low around 6pm around 110 or so.

After 10 days on the IP diet. My waking blood sugars are around 110 ... and they fall off to around 90 from afternoon to bedtime). So my average blood sugar is right around 100 (with a range of 90 to 110 or so).

Amazing for someone that weighs 308 pounds and with NO medication.

I think carbs and sugar will kill you (eventually)!

Oh that danged food pyramid I learned about in grade school (LOL). What a pile of bunk that was!
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #5  
Started IP 07/29/2013

S/C/G: 206.8/186/125

Height: 5'6"

OK... that is by far one of the coolest things I have seen someone do here. Loving the charts and the science!

How did you find out what your metabolic rate was? Is there a way to do that at home?

I am just starting week 4, and while I haven't had the crazy weight loss as others, I have definately lost inches. ( I partially blame my thyroid, and am having a hard time weening off soy, which I have read on this forum is not helping my already failing thyroid.)

Is there a program that you are plugging your numbers in? i.e. the chart and the food diary thingy...

Everything looks great!
FrostyBobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #6  
Serial Dieter

Lj14, Keep up the great work. If you are on day 4, you are through the tough part!! Seeing the weight fall off your bones is certainly motivating to keep going! We are all pulling for you!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 08-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #7  
Serial Dieter

FrostyBobber, I am also low thyroid. Thyroxin (0.22 mg per day) is the ONLY medication I am on (since 1989). I will upload a copy of my Food Inventory Table (which I formatted in MSWord format) to my webserver and post a link ... then you can download that and edit for your own info. Assuming you have MSWord on your computer. You will have to access the many online web resources to get the "numbers" for the meat and vegies you are eating.

This is a great free online resource for that info (i.e. the calories in various raw foods) http://nutritiondata.self.com/

The IP food info is on the boxes.

You will have to add up the columns by hand. I do think there is a way to "program" into MSWord the ability to SUM columns of numbers but I didn't do that.

The Weight Loss charts come from a VERY COOL Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet (in *.XLS format). I will upload that to my webserver as well today and post a link. But you will need a copy of MS Excel on your computer to edit that. It's pretty sophisticated and will track and plot trendlines (linear regression lines) for Weight Loss (and also track your Measurements Loss (and compute trendlines for those as well. I find it useful to see these sort of tracking charts to get a visual of what is happening.

I will try to get both of those things posted to my webserver later today and post links in this thread (so anyone may download).

If you are losing inches then you are on the RIGHT TRACK!!! Keep up the great work!

P.S. By Base Metabolic Rate was measured by my Nutritionist in her office a few years back. I can email her to get more info on that. I had to breathe into a machine and was hooked up to all kinds of electrodes (measuring BP and heart rate and body temp) ... She's the one that gave me my 2500 calories per day burn rate. I would guess that would tend to decline as you age.

There is also this very CRUDE estimator of Base Metabolic Rate on the web that is based just on weight, height, age, gender ...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

This will probably get you CLOSE

When I punched in my numbers into the BMR calculator above ... it gave this result ...

Your estimated BMR is: 2,333 calories/day

This is pretty close to my measured BMR at my nutritionists office a few years ago at 2500 calories per day.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 08-19-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #8  
Started IP 07/29/2013

My thyroid went to pot 10 yrs. ago after the birth of my 3rd child. It took 5 yrs. and 80+ lbs. to diagnose. I am currently on synthroid.

I find somedays my body craves more protein, so once or twice a week I will throw in an extra egg.

I think I am finally below the evil 200's this morning, but won't be able to do an official weighin or measurement because of my work schedule..

Thanks in advance for posting those spreadsheet! I am pretty sure I will be using them!

Last edited by FrostyBobber; 08-19-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #9  
Started IP 07/29/2013

So according to that my BMR (with my last WI weight) is around 1600 cal ... I noticed when I put my impending bday (Nov) in it lowered it by about 50-70 cal/day.. Interesting..

Last edited by FrostyBobber; 08-19-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #10  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

cals in v cals out.

It would seem to make sense. However, there are so many variables in the body that the theory does not account for. Hormones, satiety, doors of blood cells being 'stuck in the closed position' and therefore unable to take in nutrition because of 'sticky blood' that comes with diabetic conditions and insulin resistance... + many more.

If losing weight and good nutrition were as easy as calories in/cals out, obesity would not be the challenge it is for society today!

I don't understand the science behind ketogenic nutrition yet well enough to have a conversation about it but there is definitely something more to it than calories in/calories out.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 PM   #11  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

The effort and intention is definitely there, unfortunately much of your information and analysis is severely flawed (out right incorrect?) ;-)

To begin with, the "2500 BMR" your nutritionist gave you a few years ago is a 2500 cal resting metabolic rate--> the amount of cals your body burns at rest/doing basic body functions....
I'm going to assume you move during the day? Perhaps walk to your car? cook dinner? Do your laundry? Type on a keyboard and chew your food? Even WITHOUT ANY formal exercise (ie, sedentary) at your size you are adding a minimum of 500 cals/day to your RMR/BMR, so now you are lookin at burning prob a minimum of 3000 cals per day) being generally sedentary and not very active.
Also, just by losing the weight you've already lost (from your high weight of 335) your RMR/BMR has dropped by well over 100 cals/day, depending on your personal stats, like AGE and gender.
And, most importantly, ALL of these numbers are just ESTIMATES... from your "RMR" to your caloric intake to your daily burn estimates. You have no way of knowing exactly how many cals you are actually consuming (FDA regulations-- packaged food can be off by as much as 20% either direction and still be "acceptable") and you have no way of knowing how many cals you are actually burning (I think the "cals burned" side of the equation is going to introduce alot more of the errors and uncertainty, especially in your case).
And one last factor you have NO WAY of measuring, and the decrease in metabolic rate from such a calorie restrictive diet. And yes, it WILL happen, it happens to anyone who creates a caloric deficit. The extent and degree however, is highly individual, and varys widely.
As an example, i personally know that for me, the MOMENT i enter into a ketogenic diet, my reproduction system shuts down immediately. How many calories does my body require to function throughout my menstrual cycle? I have no idea How many calories less per day am i burning when I'm suddenly colder all the time? I have no idea. Will you have any of these, or other, issues? Maybe not.

Anyways, those were my immediate thoughts!
But keep up the great work

Meghan
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #12  

This analysis is of an individualized diet, not IP
IP includes vegetables. There is more to be absorbed from veggies than just the fiber.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #13  
Serial Dieter

Yes, I agree ... it's hard to know what the numbers are REALLY! I honestly have no idea. But it's interesting what you can come up with just from ESTIMATES of numbers.

In any case, I didn't mean to offend anyone!

What's interesting to me is how hard it is to find consistent information on calories. I got the calories on the Ground Skinless Chicken Breast from the back of the package. But when I refer to online sources for those numbers they can be 30% to 40% higher. I suppose unless I worked in some sort of food lab, I will never really know exactly how many calories I am eating ... and unless I was god or something, would never really know how many calories I am burning. I will say this though, I do lead a very sedentary lifestyle I have two computer jobs and rarely move all day. The only exercise I get is on my exercise bike for 30 minutes in the AM, and that is telling me I am burning 150 to 180 calories.

In any case, I found my attempt to uncover the numbers behind my results kind of illuminating and interesting ... even if deeply flawed!

Bottom line is we are all just trying to lose weight here and improve our health and lives. And that is a noble effort! So cheers to everyone!

Last edited by Avalon1957; 08-19-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I think for someone new to this your information is quite good compared to most. A couple thoughts:

1) Water weight has more to do with muscle glycogen than salt being reduced. Glycogen is pretty cool, if you like science. Read up on it.

2) The caloric floor has to do with nutrients, not starvation mode. Your body has micro nutrient needs. Getting them met at low caloric levels is difficult, hence the artificial floor people hear about. Starvation mode as most people understand it is a myth. Yes, the body slows down it's metabolism but it can only do so by a small amount. Your BMR has to do with keeping you alive.

3) Speaking of nutrients, for a short period your lack of veggies will probably not make any difference. Long haul - there are consequences to not getting your body the micronutrients it needs. I suggest you use your time on IP to figure out why you can't eat veggies. Frankly, I've never heard of such a thing. If you need to, start taking a pro-biotic.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #15  
Serial Dieter

Hey John,

Thanks for your positive words and support. I will research all the new topics you brought up. Sounds like some meaty topics!

I forgot to mention that my waist measurement is down 3.25" in 20 days!! That is some serious fat loss -- and I feel GREAT.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 08-19-2013 at 02:16 PM.