Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #31  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrm View Post
Officially done one week and down 13.5 lbs. I have some big work/family events coming up, so I'm trying to get myself in the right mindset to tackle them without slipping.
Plan everything ahead! Have a plan B as well. That has gotten me through MANY events over the past year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmomma78 View Post
Okay ladies, I would love to say that I am a clean eater but let's face it, I am not. I could always do better! I try to eat as clean as possible. I am worried about all of the ingredients in the processed foods (IP or alternatives) Is anyone else worried about this? I know that the foods are just for a short time but I still worry. Any comments would be great!
Yup. I worried about the same thing. But you know what? I didn't get to 260 eating clean all of the time. When I finally "gave in" and decided to try IP, I viewed the highly processed nature of the foods as temporary. In addition, I was concerned about soy. From a paleo prospective, soy is nnot good for humans.

As I have moved through my IP journey, I have cut products with soy & gluten. I find the cleanest alternatives I can find. I use Quest Bars - only the natural line sweetened with stevia. I have cut way back on my use of Mio & bought some Sweet Leaf stevia drops to use. I use Syntrax Nectar and wish they had more choices in their naturals line. No need for the food coloring!

So, yes, short story long , I did worry about the processed nature of the IP or alt food but being close to normal BMI has made it all worthwhile. I've gone from a BMI of 42.6 (morbidly obese) to a BMI of 27.6 (overweight). I have 2.3 more index points to go to a normal BMI. I have gone from size 24W to a normal size 12.

When I get to goal, I will follow a primarily paleo/primal lifestyle. IP is preparing me for that by forcing me to cook at home more and use more "real" foods, rather than prepared. We don't get carry-out anymore at all. We don't eat fast food unless in an emergency situation. Yesterday we smoked some meat and I cooked up some rhubarb. Tonite I'll be cooking some veggie stir fry. I always make extras for re-heating!

IP has been worth it to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellimomo3 View Post
Today's the big day for me! I sign up and weigh in at 5:00. Any suggestions on IP food I should be sure to grab on my first week? My coach does sell individual packets!! Today is my last day of the food I have been eating forever!!! Really worried about what I will do for breakfast tomorrow.....
I knew I'd only be able to do this plan if I got creative. I explored all of the recipe, packet hack, and puree threads. I rarely eat a packet "as is". The potato puree is a huge go-to for me b/c I can make so many breadlike things from it.
Since I don't consume soy, most of the most convenient foods are off-limits for me. I have to make my own!
I have a pudding smoothie M-F for breakfast before work. On the weekends I do omelets and pancakes (I use pudding packets for the pancakes b/c there is no soy). I typically have one restricted/day but mine are all alternative b/c of soy/gluten in IP.

My coach started with a "starter kit" so I could try a bit of everything. I returned a few items that did not appeal to me at all (example: I don't like ANY tomato soup)
Pick what sounds best but know if you don't like it, there are a zillion ways to jazz things up.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMomster View Post
Had a pool/barbecue party last night with my family and it went really well. My sister had brought potato salad but I stayed away and had a lettuce burger with a big salad and some homemade salsa, yum! They were having dessert slices that my mom brought for dessert, I had a strawberry wafer, lol!

I'm off to hit some thrift stores today - went through my closet last night and I have a grand total of 2 skirts that fit me for work. And since I'm not back to work for a little over 2 weeks, those might not even fit me It was nice giving that pile of clothes away to my sister and niece last night though.
It is really nice to see someone talking about how to do it without cheating. Congratulations!

Thrift and consignment shops have been my go-to as I've gone from a size 24W to a size 12. We have several higher-end charitable stores in our area where I can find designer brands. It has been a lifesaver for clothing for work. Last Thursday, I found my "new" winter coat...a wool Talbot's brand for $30. I have 2 winter coats that need to be donated. I'm still on the hunt for another one...in our area most of the winter is mild but I need a coat for those more severe weather days, as well. Basically one is more "dressy" and one is more utilitarian.

Good luck poppin tags!
Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post

On WW I actually gained weight being 100% compliant...several tries. Same result. They told me I was cheating...No one who knows me would ever have said that to me...and they made a personal enemy of me for life. I have nothing good to say about them because of the humiliation they put me through. I need a low glycemic diet. It matters where my calories come from.
I had the same experience with WW - would totally follow their plan and loose nothing - and I really had to question when they made fruit totally "free" (ummm great idea for a bunch of overweight pre-diabetic women)

The only time it worked for me was when they had the one plan that you ate only from the specific list of foods (shocking - all lean meats veggies and good carbs...)
Old 08-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #34  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

I think WW would be a great way to maintain weight loss achieved from doing IP. It focuses on portion sizes mainly I think. I have had some small successes with WW in the past (10-20lbs) and totally agree that it doesn't work as well as IP...but I just may do WW after IP. IP is just too strict to stay on forever. WW is more lifestyle friendly in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default unpopular comments...everyone may not want to read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
It is really nice to see someone talking about how to do it without cheating. Congratulations!

I'd just like to say I think there is no such thing as a planned cheat...you are On Plan or Off Plan. The daily chat when I first joined 3FC was a highly energized thread where people were doing their best to stay on...had questions that were legit and shared frustrations in the way of comments from peers and their reactions and answers, and really shared a lot of personal victories in slaying the dragons that possess us all. New people saw clearly the range of experience in the posters and that for the most part that there was a lot of hard work to keep to the plan, but it was doable and there were rewards, big and small for doing it. Part of the reward was feeling like the poster was where they belonged and part of the group just trying to learn and hang on day by day.

While it's not anyone's place to beat someone else up for zigging when they should zag...it also is not our purpose to condone the way the recent thread has been so focused on why or how off plan occurrences happened. I think those occasions deserve their own thread with readers who can give what is being asked for. I'd like to see some thought given to what is needed by new people who are sincere and giving it their all from day one as was done for me. Paying it forward as Lisa said in another recent post. However, I think the experience is deserting this thread and new folks
1) will not get the right mix of posters answering questions, and
2) will have the idea cheating works on this diet OK.
Cheaters can get validation a lot of places in this world. I really hate seeing it be part of the daily chat.

Although, admittedly cheating does happen this is not a diet for cheaters....and any thought for newcomers that they can play this game, cheat and still win is setting IP up to make a lot of money and many un-warry IPers to have yet one more failure.

Like I said..you were warned this was not going to be well received by everyone. I wish all fellow IPers nothing but success. We are here for support in keeping to the plan and these are just my impressions over the last month. Many if not most IP sites provide inconsistent info...this was THE place. It doesn't feel like this is a reasonable or safe place for newbies unless the direction changes. Not safe at all. I am not sure what I'd have thought about this as a newbie. I'd probably be winging it on my own. I'm probably going to get kicked off this forum for saying this, but I had to. Why are you here? I got my support and if I am asked to leave, I know I can finish this on my own. I'd love to be able to pay it forward. I'm so happy with what previous posters have given me. Tools and patience, plus confidence and example the diet works by staying the course.

Last edited by 65X65; 08-19-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 197.6/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm having a frustrating week. Of course my own fault! I'm not loosing weight this week. I had been eating 1/2 an extra bar because it seemed that I needed it. But of course over a few weeks 1/2 became a whole and sometimes even 2 extra! Of course that adds up and does not add up to weight loss.
It's gotten harder as I've gotten to my previous stopping weight. I was this weight when I quit IP last time. I do think part of me is worried I won't get to 140 and as is so often the case for me, if I'm afraid I'll fail, I quit trying. Terrible. The truth is, for everything else, if I want it, nothing will stop me from getting it or making it happen. I need to see weight loss the same way.

It's not that accurate but I did look at the BMR and it says that right now for me it's about 1400 so if calories are around 900-1100 on the plan, (give or take depending on what you eat) and I'm eating an extra 160 or more, of course I'm not losing weight! It's an equal amount of in/out. Now I realize that the BMR doesn't take activity and burning calories with things other than just being alive but I needed to see that I'm not going to lose if I keep this up. And really, if I'm eating extra because I want it, I'm not learning good habits. It really makes you see what a food addict you are!

So, today starts 100%. I'm drinking all my water, eating everything I'm supposed to eat and nothing more. I want to be as close to goal as possible by September 21st. I'm tired of being the fat chick. I want to take my kids to the pool next summer and not be afraid of being in a swimsuit!!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #37  

April: I SO appreciate the honesty with the focus on moving forward & sticking to plan.

This plan is NOT easy. We all know it. One BLT (bite, taste, lick) could turn into more if we are not careful. I've written over & over about how cravings drive me crazy. I'm learning how to let go a little at a time & this is how I will be able to maintain.

Thanks for sharing and being another example of how to focus on the positive & focus on moving forward!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Quote:
I'm probably going to get kicked off this forum for saying this, but I had to. Why are you here? I got my support and if I am asked to leave, I know I can finish this on my own. I'd love to be able to pay it forward. I'm so happy with what previous posters have given me. Tools and patience, plus confidence and example the diet works by staying the course.
Why would you get kicked off this forum for speaking your mind and being positive in a blunt way

A swift kick in the a$$ never hurt anyone.

And you are right - we need to focus on how to overcome and help each other overcome difficult situations/occasions that will NEVER go away - instead of using the "off program/cheat" cop out and whining about not getting results

Hopefully if mine is ever in need of kicking you will be around (and it will just be a smaller target!)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #39  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon everyone!! I am still trying to get caught up on everything I missed while being on a week of holidays, but I think it is impossible. So I would like to say hello to all the newbies, and congrats to everyone for their loses!!

While I enjoyed my week off and was a bit upset about having to return to work this morning, it is nice to be back home and have my routine back. I am proud that I managed to stay OP through our travels (I had one day of protein at lunch and dinner rather than a packet at lunch). Can't wait for my weigh-in on Thursday. I am feeling extra "skinny" today for some reason, and my husband keeps telling me my bum is smaller!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 187/138/140

Height: 5'3"

Today I tried my blended spinach chocolate drink with frozen spinach as I'd just use the last of our fresh spinach for my daughter's "popeye" (milk, spinach, cocoa). Well, it was early and I didn't spend a lot of time figuring out the math on frozen stuff figuring it would be similar. By the time it was blended and far greener than usual I wasn't so sure about that any more (very dark green rather than light green).

I just now did the math using the calories on the box rather than their serving size/total contents count. Apparently I just had 6 cups of spinach instead of my usually 1.5-2. No wonder I'm so dang full, at least the unintended "cheat" was with veg. :S Hope the full feeling lasts a while since I won't be having any veggie snacks later today.

Good news for those who are concerned about the taste of spinach in a blended drink - you still can't really taste the spinach, even with 6 cups blended in!!
Old 08-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Hello IPeeps,

Official weigh in today, down 2.6 lbs for week two! I am now only 1.8 lbs from my starting weight in my ticker. lol

65x65 & Rhondamarie : I never lost when compliant on WW. I was 100% OP for 5 months on IP in 2011 and lost overall average 1.75 lbs/week. but I lost. I chalk it up to age (post meno) & hypo thyroid. RhondaMarie just plug along, you will get there
Old 08-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #42  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
I'd just like to say I think there is no such thing as a planned cheat...you are On Plan or Off Plan. The daily chat when I first joined 3FC was a highly energized thread where people were doing their best to stay on...had questions that were legit and shared frustrations in the way of comments from peers and their reactions and answers, and really shared a lot of personal victories in slaying the dragons that possess us all. New people saw clearly the range of experience in the posters and that for the most part that there was a lot of hard work to keep to the plan, but it was doable and there were rewards, big and small for doing it. Part of the reward was feeling like the poster was where they belonged and part of the group just trying to learn and hang on day by day.

While it's not anyone's place to beat someone else up for zigging when they should zag...it also is not our purpose to condone the way the recent thread has been so focused on why or how off plan occurrences happened. I think those occasions deserve their own thread with readers who can give what is being asked for. I'd like to see some thought given to what is needed by new people who are sincere and giving it their all from day one as was done for me. Paying it forward as Lisa said in another recent post. However, I think the experience is deserting this thread and new folks
1) will not get the right mix of posters answering questions, and
2) will have the idea cheating works on this diet OK.
Cheaters can get validation a lot of places in this world. I really hate seeing it be part of the daily chat.

Although, admittedly cheating does happen this is not a diet for cheaters....and any thought for newcomers that they can play this game, cheat and still win is setting IP up to make a lot of money and many un-warry IPers to have yet one more failure.

Like I said..you were warned this was not going to be well received by everyone. I wish all fellow IPers nothing but success. We are here for support in keeping to the plan and these are just my impressions over the last month. Many if not most IP sites provide inconsistent info...this was THE place. It doesn't feel like this is a reasonable or safe place for newbies unless the direction changes. Not safe at all. I am not sure what I'd have thought about this as a newbie. I'd probably be winging it on my own. I'm probably going to get kicked off this forum for saying this, but I had to. Why are you here? I got my support and if I am asked to leave, I know I can finish this on my own. I'd love to be able to pay it forward. I'm so happy with what previous posters have given me. Tools and patience, plus confidence and example the diet works by staying the course.
Thank you!!!!! A million times, thank you!! I have been 100% OP since day one. It has not been easy, but it does get easier. This daily chat thread and the 100% thread are part of the reason. I really need support in seeing the efforts of others who have done this! I don't mean to be judgemental, but after reading several posts about planned cheating and "lesser of two evils" cheats, I am considering sticking to the 100% thread. For me, I need to see ways to do this or I will fail like I have in the past. I still consider myself a newbie even though I am just over 3 months on IP. I definitely figured out early on that this plan is maybe not for everyone. Believe me though.....it does get easier if you stick with it. Otherwise, each time you cheat it creates more cravings and is a vicious cycle.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #43  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

I am back and 100% on plan starting today! I was following phase 3 for a bit after vacatioin and then on to 4 and didn't gain but 3-5 lb more after vacation which I thought was good in 2 months but my walking slowed and I got busy with other things!

Now I am back to lose the weight I gained on vacation and rest of what I originally wanted to lose and also lowered my goal a bit more! So excited!! I am not going to the clinic and going to try this thing on my own for now, so glad to be back I feel better already! I can't believe how bloated I was getting/feeling.... Some was from the soda stream (crystal light and diet drinks in it) and the ICE water. When I am on IP I look at those as treats and don't drink them everyday... they do make me bloat!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilH3 View Post
I'm having a frustrating week. Of course my own fault! I'm not loosing weight this week. I had been eating 1/2 an extra bar because it seemed that I needed it. But of course over a few weeks 1/2 became a whole and sometimes even 2 extra! Of course that adds up and does not add up to weight loss.

<snipped>

It's not that accurate but I did look at the BMR and it says that right now for me it's about 1400 so if calories are around 900-1100 on the plan, (give or take depending on what you eat) and I'm eating an extra 160 or more, of course I'm not losing weight! It's an equal amount of in/out. Now I realize that the BMR doesn't take activity and burning calories with things other than just being alive but I needed to see that I'm not going to lose if I keep this up. And really, if I'm eating extra because I want it, I'm not learning good habits. It really makes you see what a food addict you are!
!
THIS is what makes the difference. Sure your additional food was "better than x,y,z" but it was still more calories than you are supposed to have. It's good that you recognized it, others who do the same need to as well. Cheating cheats yourself!

I will never be a part of the 100% thread but I don't try to fool myself that a nibble here or there will not affect my results. Be honest with yourself.

Last edited by tightwad; 08-19-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 301/290/180

Height: 5'10

Default Response to "Cheating"

So, I know I've mentioned cheating, and how difficult it is for me. And some others have mentioned they don't like the way things are turning on this thread. I definately consider myself a newbie. Both to this forum, and this diet. And it's HARD! Both of these things are hard. I certainly have no intention of bringing anyone down, but I also know that I come here to "confess my sins" and to ask for help and support. Not to tempt others, but to ask for help in avoiding temptation. I live with someone who seems pretty bent on sabotaging me and himself. It's friggin' hard!!! So, awesome! for those with really supportive friends and family. But please know, that some of us, don't have it that easy. And please know, that some of us, never PLAN on cheating, but rather, fall to temptation, struggle with it, and have IMMENSE guilt afterwads.

Maybe this isn't the right place for these types of conversations, but where is? Another thread? A lot of times, I see new threads get the response "Well, if you post this in the daily chat thread..." It's confusing, and frustrating to people who are here, just trying to find a place to fit in and get some help, sometimes, it's really really hard.
Closed Thread