Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
I don't personally know that place but googled it. What about the mixed green salad, hold croutons (ask if they can add some extra P1 okay veggies) and hold dressing. Sweet talk them into adding some chicken.
...or bring a few hardboiled eggs from home to add!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #62  
Started IP 8/12/13

S/C/G: 226/183.6/150

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarita75 View Post
I don't personally know that place but googled it. What about the mixed green salad, hold croutons (ask if they can add some extra P1 okay veggies) and hold dressing. Sweet talk them into adding some chicken.
Thank u soo much! i'll look over the menu and try that!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #63  
Started IP 8/12/13

S/C/G: 226/183.6/150

Height: 5'1''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
...or bring a few hardboiled eggs from home to add!
Great idea ..!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
Never had the chicken patty, sorry I can't help you.

Yesterday had my health screening and had been really motivated about my weight. Last September when I was weighed for the screening I passed three out of the four categories. The weight I did not pas as I was 230 pounds and a BMI of 44.9. I just wasn't worried about anything else as I had a screening done in March after I had been on program for either seven or eight weeks and my cholesterol was down 50 points to a respectable 92.

I was shocked when my LDL cholesterol was back up to 143 , it didn't pass. It needs to be 140 or less. My weight was 149 though. That part is good as I made that for the first time since they started these screenings. But please I need help, I know there are a lot of you who will have some insight. I can re take the cholesterol screening before the end of September. Is there anything I can do to bring it down about 5 points? The pharmacist suggested niacin and oat bran muffins every day. I don't want the muffins but perhaps some plain oat bran wouldn't completely derail my IP ??? I would rather stay as close to on plan as I can, I love how I have felt and I don't want to stop now.

Please any and all suggestions are being not only asked for but begged for. Thanks in advance.
I experienced what you have when I did IP. The short version is that low carb diets affect the conversion of inactive T4 thyroid hormones to active
T3 in the liver. Over 2/3 of your active T3 is made there. When you are long-term on IP, you may become hypothyroid. This leads to increased LDL levels. I think this is the most plausible explanation.

There is also the possibility that your LDL particle size changed. I think low carb switch from dense to less dense. There are tests that differentiate. But since your levels first went down and then up, I think this is not the case.

I am not sure how rapidly you have to control LDL. I gave up IP and stuffed myself with carbs. Actually lost weight and stopped being hungry. So, I know I am getting back to normal thryoid function. I am not sure how long it takes for LDL to come down. I have not yet retested mine. You can take statins if there is a real urgency. I would consult with a doctor before doing that, however. There are natural statins in Red yeast rice, though the amount varies on the brand and you would need to take it with CoQ10 to avoid side effects. So, I would test some more, talk to a doctor and then decide.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

MntRose: Just saw end of September. That is plenty of time. Niacin will likely not do anything. You need carbs above 100g/day. Possibly some statins. If you have health insurance, go test LDL again including particle size and take a complete thyroid panel.

Here is some info:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/09...b-the-thyroid/

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/08...d-the-thyroid/

And I would not count on doctors knowing about this. Even most endocrinologists don't.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #66  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

Whoosh what a day! Had a job interview that lasted 2 1/2 hours.(good sign maybe) getting ready to attempt a dinner that makes the sweetie happy but sticks to plan. Pork tenderloin and stir fried veggies. Hope everyone's had a good day
Old 08-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #67  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Good luck...Do your Insurance rates hinge on this as an employee wellness initiative? If yes...and you are still not happy ...do go to your Dr and explain what happened..and that you are questioning since you KNOW you are in better health after the recent steps you have taken and that the results just don't make sense to you and can he explain or help you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3mis View Post
@MntRose i agree with 65X65 they might be messing up your tests. Go get a proper test done with your PCP if possible. from what you described it sounds like they are doing rapid tests which might not be as accurate as when they draw a vial of blood.
and here is some information on were you want your levels at:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cho...levels/CL00001

and then have a quick read of this:
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/09...b-the-thyroid/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I experienced what you have when I did IP. The short version is that low carb diets affect the conversion of inactive T4 thyroid hormones to active
T3 in the liver. Over 2/3 of your active T3 is made there. When you are long-term on IP, you may become hypothyroid. This leads to increased LDL levels. I think this is the most plausible explanation.

There is also the possibility that your LDL particle size changed. I think low carb switch from dense to less dense. There are tests that differentiate. But since your levels first went down and then up, I think this is not the case.

I am not sure how rapidly you have to control LDL. I gave up IP and stuffed myself with carbs. Actually lost weight and stopped being hungry. So, I know I am getting back to normal thryoid function. I am not sure how long it takes for LDL to come down. I have not yet retested mine. You can take statins if there is a real urgency. I would consult with a doctor before doing that, however. There are natural statins in Red yeast rice, though the amount varies on the brand and you would need to take it with CoQ10 to avoid side effects. So, I would test some more, talk to a doctor and then decide.

65x65 in a way yes, it affects how much the company contributes to my health savings account and which plan I can chose. If I understand it correctly.

Thanks Artemis for the links, looking at them now.

Thanks for all the info, Lolo. The information you share from your experience is really appreciated even if I may not have wanted to consider that possibility. But it makes more sense than just spiking back up for no apparent reason. Thank you

I stopped in to check at work to double check that I could have the test re done, and its a maybe. I have to wait at least 30 days, but the company it self is saying any employee retesting is not a priority and that even if a re test happens, there may not 'be enough time' to update results. It just sounds lazy to me. I am going to look into this more as I could have printed a form and taken it to my pcp if I had wanted. I am in no way happy with this attitude from the company (its not coming from the local store level)

I do thank everyone for the responses though and will be calling in the morning to get a complete work up from my doctor. I need to know what really is going on.

Last edited by MntRose; 08-14-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Hello everyone..... Happy Hump Day!!! Don't ya just love the commercial with the camel......I laugh every time!

7th WI today......finally a good weigh in, after a 0 week, and then two 1 lb weeks, today was 2.6lb down.........woot woot!! I started this week using half alternatives, I dont think that really made the difference I think it was just time my body changed a bit more. I was getting a bit discouraged, but still stuck with it.... IP works!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #69  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

Default Accidental Cheat - impact?

Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone who has met their goals and so many other encouraging posts today!

I've been lurking on the boards for about the past 3 weeks. So far, so good for me (down 10+ lbs, but no check in this week do to vacation conflicts).

Today I had an oops. I didn't pack a lunch like I usually do, so I had to get a salad near the office. Out of habit I got the olives on it, forgetting that they are not allowed on Phase 1.

This is the only cheat I've had, and I don't plan to do it again.

Any clue on how this may impact my progress?

Thanks,

Kelly
Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post

65x65 in a way yes, it affects how much the company contributes to my health savings account and which plan I can chose. If I understand it correctly.

Thanks Artemis for the links, looking at them now.

Thanks for all the info, Lolo. The information you share from your experience is really appreciated even if I may not have wanted to consider that possibility. But it makes more sense than just spiking back up for no apparent reason. Thank you

I stopped in to check at work to double check that I could have the test re done, and its a maybe. I have to wait at least 30 days, but the company it self is saying any employee retesting is not a priority and that even if a re test happens, there may not 'be enough time' to update results. It just sounds lazy to me. I am going to look into this more as I could have printed a form and taken it to my pcp if I had wanted. I am in no way happy with this attitude from the company (its not coming from the local store level)

I do thank everyone for the responses though and will be calling in the morning to get a complete work up from my doctor. I need to know what really is going on.

You may want to contact your PCP right away and ask if he can get a real lab test ordered STAT so you can get the result same day and if its favorable, ask HR if there is an appeal process. Very "innocently "....ask them what the state insurance commission stand on "no appeal" for this if no appeal or reconsideration is their answer......if that doesn't
Work.. Contact your local or state insurance commissioners office and talk to someone there. They may be quite interested in your story if the first result was actually problematic... And you are now being penalized. Good luck... Let us know what happens.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 249.4/180/WhenIFeelSexyNaked

Height: 5'eff all

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolasmurf View Post
Whoosh what a day! Had a job interview that lasted 2 1/2 hours.(good sign maybe) getting ready to attempt a dinner that makes the sweetie happy but sticks to plan. Pork tenderloin and stir fried veggies. Hope everyone's had a good day
Good luck with the new job!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #72  
sugar is the devil

mmm just made my lunch! Quite enjoy it. It's a pasta salad IP Rotini, WF ranch dressing mixed with white vinegar and dried dill, and 2 cups of veggies (broc, green & red pepper, red onion, celery).

Last edited by SweetScrumptious; 08-14-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berteau View Post
Hi everyone,

Congratulations to everyone who has met their goals and so many other encouraging posts today!

I've been lurking on the boards for about the past 3 weeks. So far, so good for me (down 10+ lbs, but no check in this week do to vacation conflicts).

Today I had an oops. I didn't pack a lunch like I usually do, so I had to get a salad near the office. Out of habit I got the olives on it, forgetting that they are not allowed on Phase 1.

This is the only cheat I've had, and I don't plan to do it again.

Any clue on how this may impact my progress?

Thanks,

Kelly
Probably no impact unless it was LOADED! Olives are higher in fat and sodium, but the few that might be on a salad are not enough to worry about for a one time Oooops!

Your penance is to drink an extra 8oz if water to flush out the extra sodium and then put it out of your mind!

Last edited by JLUS; 08-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #74  
IP start date 8/1/2013

S/C/G: 195/138.6/130

Height: 4'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskgirl View Post
Good luck with the new job!
Thanks!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #75  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Probably no impact unless it was LOADED! Olives are higher in fat and sodium, but the few that might be on a salad are not enough to worry about for a one time Oooops!

Your penance is to drink an extra 8oz if water to flush out the extra sodium and then put it out of your mind!
Thanks Laurie!

I will drink the extra H2O and stick to the rules.
Closed Thread