IP Weekend Chat Sat 8/10 - Sun 8/11/2013

You're on Page 6 of 6
Go to
  • This morning hubby and I went for a motorcycle ride, which means I had to put jeans on, riding boots, yada yada yada.... the jeans used to be too tight I had out grown them but refused to go bigger. This morning, they are big!! They're baggy, I could use some smaller pants but I'm not ready to shop yet. Hubby said " you cant wear those granny pants"......lol I smiled, I liked that they were baggy in the seat and no longer snug!!!
  • Quote: Just hoping to do better in keeping up with this message board, so thought joining would be the best idea. Great day to look forward to. Have already lost 22 lbs!
    22 pounds is terrific! Keep up the good work! I am in the first week of a reboot and it's tough, tougher than it would have been if I had just stayed the course initially.

Quote: Ahh, just when you think you're making progress someone has to burst your bubble.

I was shopping for an event next weekend and asked the saleswoman at Macy's where the dress section was. She pointed me to the plus-size department and told me I would find what I was looking for there
    That was just cruel and insensitive on her part. Just imagine how horrible her life must be to go through it, being insensitive and ignorant. You are doing so well, an inspiration!

Quote: Epic Fail today... bad mood, tired.. fell WAY off the wagon... Had pizza today...boooooo.... but tomorrows another day and a fresh start...because if I didn't fall outta ketosis today.. I would be amazed!

Does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to jumpstart myself back into ketosis a little more quickly... yes, I know, don't cheat! lol
    I don't know of any way to speed up the beginning of ketosis, but do know for sure that eating too many carbs will delay it.

Quote: If you are ever wondering, I wonder if WF marshmallow cream will dissolve in my coffee and make it creamy and delicious... the answer is NO. It stays a gelatin-like clump of ultra sweet dissapointment. So far the only thing I like the marshmallow creme is i will throw a dollop in with some ice and spinach instead of musclemilk if I want to save my IP packet for later. Anyone else use it, and if so what on?
    COgirl,
    I like the idea of using a WF product to make a shake so I can save a packet for later. Very helpful! Will try this idea.

Quote: Rainbow has a recipe for Whoopie Pies using the Protidiet Chocolate Cake and the WF Marshmallow Cream as the filling. I have not heard good things about the cream but itsure looked good in the photos she posted in her volume 2 recipe thread. I am thinking I will order the cake next time from Nashua and make them. I tried her blueberry scones this morning and DH liked them. It was nice to bake something.
    It is nice to bake something. For my birthday last year, I used an IP compliant brownie mix (I use alternatives) and that was my birthday cake. http://www26.netrition.com/dixie_brownie_mix_page.html
    275-0008
    Dixie Diner
    Carb Counters Brownie Mix
    5 oz.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 2" X 2" Pc. (4.9g dry)
    Servings Per Container: 29

Show as Prepared Amount
    Per Serving % Daily
    Value*

Mix
    Total Calories 20
    Calories From Fat 9
    Total Fat 1 g 2%
    Saturated Fat 0 g 1%
    Cholesterol 2 mg 1%
    Sodium 31 mg 1%
    Potassium 28 mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrates 1 g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 2 g 3%

Quote: Happy weekend all! It's heartening to hear everyone's stories. I'm going back on phase I on Monday after having been on phase 4 for a while...moved and started a new job and my coach thought it would be better to focus on those things, maintain, and then start back on phase I.

I work fairly long shifts (12-14 hrs per day without any breaks to eat) so I'm a little nervous about how I'm going to be able to eat all my meals and not grab the fastest, closest thing the second I walk out the door from work. Here's hoping. Thanks to everyone for all your advice and support.

Be well,
    Claire
    Quote: Hi Coloradogirl,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply and good advice. I'm a medical resident, so we tend to work fairly ridiculous hours without breaks, unfortunately. On good days I can pee, and sometimes I can drink water, but very rarely can we take 10 minutes to eat. On good days I was thinking I might bring some almonds in my pocket to try to eat en route to the bathroom, or an IP bar to snack on in the stairway between floors. I know that almonds technically aren't allowed on phase I, but I wonder if that would be an appropriate compromise. Alternatively, I'll work on eating IP meals before and after, and trying for a bar during a shift. That's my current plan.

Cheers,
    Claire
    I agree that RTD shakes and bars might be your best bet. You can ingest them in 2 minutes or less. There are lots of protein bar options if you look at the alternatives (Nashua Nutrition HealthSmart are my favorites and IP compliant). The mere variety beyond IP choices might be helpful. HealthSmart has a variety pack I usually buy.

Quote: Good Morning! I keep reading about Nashua Nutrition on these blogs so I went to their website. They don't sell IP products, but I was wondering if there are comparable brands that they DO sell? Which item brand that they sell is closest to IP?
    Thanks!
    A lot of great info is available on alternatives and Nashua sells most of them. My favorites from them are HealthSmart and Proti-Diet and Proti-Thin. Check the nutritional stats carefully. I've mentioned HealthSmart twice and it's because the chocolate on their bars tastes much more like the real thing than either of the Proti products. Also check out netrition.com for Dixie Diner.
  • Alternatives
    Nevermind my previous posts. I saw the links by Wuv. Thanks!
  • "It is nice to bake something. For my birthday last year, I used an IP compliant brownie mix (I use alternatives) and that was my birthday cake. http://www26.netrition.com/dixie_brownie_mix_page.html
    275-0008
    Dixie Diner
    Carb Counters Brownie Mix
    5 oz."

What alternatives are you speaking of? In the mix.. or are you just refering to the mix itself? My BDay is coming in Novermer (40, yuk) and it would be great to pretend to have cake (and eat it too) for my BDay..
  • Quote: This morning hubby and I went for a motorcycle ride, which means I had to put jeans on, riding boots, yada yada yada.... the jeans used to be too tight I had out grown them but refused to go bigger. This morning, they are big!! They're baggy, I could use some smaller pants but I'm not ready to shop yet. Hubby said " you cant wear those granny pants"......lol I smiled, I liked that they were baggy in the seat and no longer snug!!!
    That's a great feeling! You earned it!! For my 2 cents..you also deserve some items that fit..!! You also earned that!

When you wear uniforms or scrubs for work, your mind is not wrapped around how good the clothes can make you feel. When I migrated to the business aspect of healthcare.. I discovered that. Do encourage everyone on this protocol to look and feel good on the way to goal. Don't underestimate the value of that...you ARE worth it! Don't forget the resale boutiques either...(they can be guilt free shopping to the hilt...) and perfect as we morph into the new body we are working for.
  • Quote: Happy weekend all! It's heartening to hear everyone's stories. I'm going back on phase I on Monday after having been on phase 4 for a while...moved and started a new job and my coach thought it would be better to focus on those things, maintain, and then start back on phase I.

I work fairly long shifts (12-14 hrs per day without any breaks to eat) so I'm a little nervous about how I'm going to be able to eat all my meals and not grab the fastest, closest thing the second I walk out the door from work. Here's hoping. Thanks to everyone for all your advice and support.

Be well,
    Claire
    Hey Claire, i feel your pain i also work 12+hour shifts...and some days i do not get to eat when i need or want to. I've found the ready made products are easiest at work....i try and sometimes eat my salad/protien before work..and then just have drinks RTE pudding or bars....the chips are super easy for work too...and you could keep those in your pocket of your jacket...
    Pre-mix some powdered drinks in water bottles at home..maybe spilt 1 packet b/t two small water bottle...it would look like you just put crystal light in your water bottle, you could also keep a small water bottle with you and just drink it throughout your shift (i've seen many a doc travelling with a water bottle in their lab coat pocket). Once you got yourself back into ketosis you may not want to eat all the crap you see around the hospital anyhow

i personally always try and watch out for my interns and residents cuz its a tough job and while it should be illegal many times i know they do not get the breaks they need or deserve. I hope you find a caring RN out there in your travels who keeps an eye out on their MD's and ensure they at least have coffee and water

best of luck to you
  • Hi all! Just wanted to stop in and say hello. I was away all weekend and tomorrow my husband and I are going to Watertown NY for the night to do some shopping. Hope everyone enjoys what is left of their weekend, and the next few days!!
  • I grew up in Haliburton and love the country.. I really hope to move back one day..
    Quote: Hi Art3mis,

I have the incredible luck of living at the lake! I live about 20 minutes outside of a small town in northwestern Ontario. So a vacation for me is staying home and going swimming, boating, jet skiing! I love it. The funny part is that people who live in town can't believe how far I live and how long my commute is! I used to live in Montreal and near Toronto, so 20 minutes is nothing. I guess it's all what we are used to.
  • I am a RN too, who works those long 12.5 hour shifts. I have found that either a bar or one of the "thin drinks" lemon tea, cranberry granada, or lemonade works best for me. Often when I walk past the mini kitchen on my unit I will grab a glass of water and add a little bit of a packet. I keep the packets in a zip-lock baggie in my pocket and I can access it easily.

It is definately a challenge...but worth figuring out a solution that works for you.

On another note, I had a NSV today that made me happy. I was at a classic car show all day, which only had non-approved foods available and I avoided the fried dough, kettle corn, frozen lemonade and ice cream, which are all trigger foods for me. I had a hamburger for lunch without the bun with a little mustard was satisfied. Losing the weight once and for all is more important to me than having junk food.
  • Quote: Losing the weight once and for all is more important to me than having junk food.
    Me too!
    I also think this whenever I see people complain that x, y, or z food isn't on the protocol. It doesn't matter if it isn't. Part of following IP for me has been learning to follow the rules, rather than make excuses why I don't have to.

Losing the weight (to me) is more important than an individual food.
  • Quote: Me too!
    I also think this whenever I see people complain that x, y, or z food isn't on the protocol. It doesn't matter if it isn't. Part of following IP for me has learning to follow the rules, rather than make excuses why I don't have to.

Losing the weight (to me) is more important than an individual food.
    Excellent point, Lisa!
  • Quote: I am a latte drinker. I LOVE milk in my coffee, but I don't like sugar or any kind of sweetness, so using syrup doesn't help me. Things you might want to try:

1. Cold brew your coffee overnight, it's much less bitter/acidic.
    2. Just add more hot water to weaken it.
    3. I just found yesterday a new flavor coffee that is wonderful (Texas Pecan). Some of the Dunkin Donut flavors seem to be much easier to drink black.
    Ohh...last weekend I discovered the most yummiest coffee ever. Doopio from starbucks in a venti cup, wf caramel sauce and a vanilla rtd heated up....sooo very good and very much like a latte. Wish I found this sooner.