Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs down week two and having some problems, help please!

I'm on week two of ip and Ive lost 8.5 in my first week.. However, the past 3/4 days the scale hasn't budged and I actually gained a lb. I've been sticking to the plan and drinking plenty of water. Its not the time of the month either . I really cannot figure out what is going on! Any suggestions or help! Im getting discouraged
jojobananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5'5"

Dont' let yourself get spoiled by your first week's loss. The first week is almost always the most dramatic loss, the rest of the time is usually between 1-3. If you can't handle not seeing a loss everyday, do not weigh yourself everyday! Wait until you don't lose for at least 2 weeks before you panic.
coloradogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #3  

Consider:
constipation?? if you've noticed a different bowel routine since starting IP maybe time to get some senna or a helpful tea?!

could just be water retention from the heat?!

the scale will go up and down and up and down and up again....if you insist on daily weighings or more frequent WI @ home then you must tell yourself that number isn't the end of the world.
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobananas View Post
I'm on week two of ip and Ive lost 8.5 in my first week.. However, the past 3/4 days the scale hasn't budged and I actually gained a lb. I've been sticking to the plan and drinking plenty of water. Its not the time of the month either . I really cannot figure out what is going on! Any suggestions or help! Im getting discouraged
It's hard not to get discouraged. You have to trust the plan and if you follow it it will work. I had 2 #s gained one week and another in another week..don't know exactly what caused it and I finally started losing. Now I look at my losses as a whole and not week to week...

I did ask on here for suggestions as to what would cause it and got the normal responses such as 1. TOM, 2. too much salt, and 3. The Big C. I did get a #4 which was water retention due to the excessive heat we've been having in the Northeast. So, it could be a lot of things...Don't stress it too much. Everything will work out in the end and the losses will happen.

Keep in mind you lost 8.5 already!!! THAT'S AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobananas View Post
Dont lose your kool as the rest have said. The nature of this beast is not well defined or follows a straight line! Do you get measured? Any change there??
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

If you are following the plan as given to you, then you really can't do it wrong! What you are doing "wrong" is weighing in between official weigh in days and expecting to see consistent declines!! Weight loss is not a daily incremental decline but rather a downward trend over time.

The scale can vary up to 4-6 pounds up or down in one day!! Yes that's right, weight goes up and down all day long. The purpose of weekly weigh-ins (preferably at the same time of day and wearing the same thing) is to see a trend week after week, not day after day.

Stay dedicated to the plan and stay off the scale OR if you want to weigh, be sure you both understand the expected ups and downs and can handle seeing it in real numbers without getting discouraged or worrying! (BTW - did you know worry and stress can make your weight go up?)

Keep on keeping on... On Plan that is!!!!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #7  

Hey Jojobananas. You and I share the same starting stats...including height. Anyways, I hear you on being discouraged...it's a grueling diet and it definitely takes a toll especially when the scale stops moving. However, I don't think what is happening is abnormal or cause for concern and here is why.
1. First week you had a huge loss!!!! Way to go!!!!!! I lost 7lbs my first week and only 1.2 at my second weigh in. Furthermore, whenever I went in for weigh-ins (which was Friday morning) I would notice the scale tip down a lb or two on Sunday usually.
2. Like others have said, it would be great to loose that much weight every week but its unlikely. However, even if you loose only 1 lb this week you are still averaging 9lbs in two weeks which is incredible. Some people (and bless their hearts because I would have been sooo disappointed) only loose very little their first week.

I did IP phase 1 for about a month and a half October 2012-mid November 2012 and lost nearly 30lbs. I am doing a reboot to loose 5lbs and hopefully finally get to 130.

IP works...but its not without some mental anguish. To try and buffer that, take a day or two break from the scale, focus on all the healthy foods you are feeding your body, watch a funny movie, get on here and write, take a bath, or do anything that will make you feel good.

I felt as you are feeling now many times and felt like giving up at points too. However, you are getting closer to goal and when you arrive, you will not only weigh less but you will have a mental strength and stamina that you didn't before. You can do this. We are all here cheering you on!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #8  

It's probably just a water balance thing. I saw my scale go up on day 4 then it held in that pound for 2 more days. Just as quickly as it came on, it went off. Woke up and was magically down 2.5 lbs. Don't panic. It's not a clean downward line on a chart- it's going to have some blips. If the blips freak you out, you NEED to stop weighing daily.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:56 AM   #9  
Started IP 6/21/2013

S/C/G: 246/219/165

Height: 5'6"

As everyone has said, the easiest solution is to stop weighing yourself. You WILL lose weight, just stick with it.

When I started I gave myself a time to commit to the diet, regardless of the weight lost. This took the pressure off of quick weight loss, and put the focus on committing full time to my health for 8 weeks. You might want to consider doing the same.
lauran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Just wanted to thank everyone for the support.. bathroom issues might actually have something to do with it. I have always have issues with that and have been taking senna since before I started the diet, but this past week it hasnt worked for me at all (maybe my body is still adjusting to the change). You guys are right about not weighing myself everyday. I really appreciate the kind words of support, I am private about these types of things and some people can be so negative, it is really nice to have such a warm and helpful community to give some words of encouragement. YOU are all really inspirational! Thank you!! :
jojobananas is offline   Reply With Quote