3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Weekend Chat Saturday 7/27 - Sunday 7/28/2013 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/285338-ip-weekend-chat-saturday-7-27-sunday-7-28-2013-a.html)

hlfoster9290 07-28-2013 04:44 PM

I lost my motivation... :(

I need some motivation and some serious tough love I think. I did so good on my first month on IP and then...I got lazy I guess. The tempation was just too much! The first month I dropped 17 lbs and was so freaking excited. Now I have gained 6 lbs this past month! It started as "just one bite" and now I have been off program for the last month and that scale is creeping back up. I know what it takes to get the weight off because when I did good it just came falling off, but I just dont have the determination and the self discipline to say no to those fattening treats that I love to hate so much. Everyday I tell myself (and my husband) that I am going to do this right, and that I am going to start over, but no sooner than lunch and Ive screwed up. Even if its just a little oops I turn the whole day into a big oops. :( Any suggestions on threads or tips for overcoming food addiction. My husband is actually a recovering drug addict and we have discussed the similarities of my feelings and actions with food to his battle with drug addiction. It truly is scary to look at it that way and see how similiar the addiction really is. That whole thought process of just having one more bite and not thinking about the consequences until after the fact, and then hating yourself for doing it. :( HELP ME!

shrinkingsusie 07-28-2013 04:54 PM

The last two years I have been on-again off-again. Finally I said enough is enough. I did it before and felt awesome, so why am I trying to sabotage myself? I started looking at people's before and after pictures and thought "I want that to be me!" So the day before I started I went grocery shopping and bought a bunch of veggies, and cut them up as soon as I got home. That way I knew there was no excuse about it being too hard or not having time. You CAN do this!

brelo 07-28-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlfoster9290 (Post 4802585)
I need some motivation and some serious tough love I think. I did so good on my first month on IP and then...I got lazy I guess. The tempation was just too much! The first month I dropped 17 lbs and was so freaking excited. Now I have gained 6 lbs this past month! It started as "just one bite" and now I have been off program for the last month and that scale is creeping back up. I know what it takes to get the weight off because when I did good it just came falling off, but I just dont have the determination and the self discipline to say no to those fattening treats that I love to hate so much. Everyday I tell myself (and my husband) that I am going to do this right, and that I am going to start over, but no sooner than lunch and Ive screwed up. Even if its just a little oops I turn the whole day into a big oops. :( Any suggestions on threads or tips for overcoming food addiction. My husband is actually a recovering drug addict and we have discussed the similarities of my feelings and actions with food to his battle with drug addiction. It truly is scary to look at it that way and see how similiar the addiction really is. That whole thought process of just having one more bite and not thinking about the consequences until after the fact, and then hating yourself for doing it. :( HELP ME!

All I can give you is to share my experience of IP. I am not expert, I am still just a learner with all of you. I really had to muscle my way through those first days of IP, and even long after I was in ketosis, temptations were still all around. IP, ketosis, etc, is not a cure for our food addictions, but I like to think of it as an extremely helpful tool. It really helps when faced with those carb addictions, but it doesn't do all of the work. I like to say it gave me a little extra "umph" when challenged with something I really wanted to eat. IP for me is as "auto pilot" as any diet for me has ever been. Indeed it is the only diet that worked! Weight loss surgery is now off of the table completely. But IP is not magic. You have to work with it a little. Sometimes, a lot! When you work with it, it works, and works amazingly well. There are a multitude of success stories that prove it. I work with several people that are doing IP, and it has never not worked as long as the protocol is followed.

I don't know if this is quite the advice you were looking for. But it was the answer that I had in my heart for you. I wish you the best. Be sure to log in often and read for motivation and encouragement. There is no shortage of that around here.

Balanced Life 07-28-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie (Post 4802573)
When I am tempted to cheat, I don't look at it as eating some off-protocol food with the possibility of gaining, it's about throwing yourself out of ketosis and wasting a good 3+ days getting back into it. Not worth enjoying 10 minutes of eating something off-protocol to waste the next 3+ days trying to make up for it. Maybe the scale didn't go up, but it didn't go down either, so did you really get away with it? Not trying to bring you down, just offering advice and a different viewpoint to help keep you on track. We are all here to succeed!! :)

:cp: well said SS! That is exactly how I've been trying to think. I have honestly not struggled too much with temptations....not sure why. I miss cheese, and thought for a nano second about popping a piece in my mouth when I was making my son's sandwich the other day and just realized that I want to stay in Ketosis. I stead I had a small piece of plain turkey. Not the best choice because I still gave in, but kept me on track. We can do this!:cheer:

laloli 07-28-2013 05:48 PM

Hi everyone,

Usually eat at my mom's on Sundays and she has been really good about putting me things aside. Today she made meat loaf and no meat aside for me. Of course I was starving today. So, I rinsed it off in a colander and ate my meat. But of course, I was sure it had some kind of filler, although I couldn't taste it. I asked her when she woke up, and she used a little oatmeal!!! I haven't had regular oatmeal in 9 weeks. Not going to stress. Going to press on. But still a little disappointed in myself.

My first thought before I ate, after acknowledging I was hungry was I deserved it. I was diagnosed with MS some years ago and just had to begin a regiment that I gained 10 pounds on before. But not this time!! Guess I was feeling a little sorry for myself, but I'm over it!

Have a good evening.

Electro 07-28-2013 05:54 PM

Any suggestions on threads or tips for overcoming food addiction.

Try the Beck Diet Solution, there is a support thread on the forum as well.

Jbhigdon 07-28-2013 05:55 PM

IP has been so much easier than anything else I've tried, and I think it's because of all the helpful hints on this site!!!! Loving my new jullienne peeler!!!! Jullienned broccoli stalks left over from steaming florets and sautéed in a little olive oil with a sprinkle of onion powder and salt!!! Yummy!!!!!

brelo 07-28-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro (Post 4802629)

I do remember a thread awhile back on food addiction. You may be able to find it doing a search.

I am also going to just throw this out there: professional counseling, maybe?
This is quite a complex issue, really. Both psychology and physiology are involved! Not things I have a strong grasp of, certainly difficult for me to articulate. There are some intelligent people on this forum that might chime in.

JLUS 07-28-2013 08:09 PM

MetroMint? Anyone?

Found this very interesting product yesterday. It is bottled water called MetroMint. It is plain water - not sparkling, not sweetened. BUT it has an amazing Mint flavor... Tastes like it is steeped with lovely mint leaves.

There is a peppermint and spearmint flavor (did not get those). I got one cherry mint and one chocolate mint. The cherry doesn't have as much essence of the cherry flavor but definitely is minty. The chocolate one definitely gives a clear chocolate and mint flavor.

It is a bit costly for regular use at $1.89 for 17 oz BUT it is so interesting, refreshing and pleasing, I will get more. I have enjoyed it a few sips at a time to break the monotony of water (and not always looking for sweet Mio waters either.) it is almost like a palate cleanser and SO minty fresh!!!

FYI - I got it at my Stop n Shop in NJ... In with all the various specialty waters.

Sonyasbug 07-28-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electro (Post 4802629)

There is also a good bool called woman food and God. Very insightful. I'd like to share w you and all others I guess, that after I lost 100lbs I decided to seek counseling. I know I had food issues, how else would I have gotten 160 lbs overweight. But my main focus was maintaining my lost. I love counseling for so many reasons and I continue to fight the good food fight! Almost at goal and I never thought that would be me. Lots of hugs!

thinnerJ 07-28-2013 09:26 PM

Nightmare return trip from weekend away: stuck in traffic, kid yelling for 30+ minutes, family's left over pizza wafting through the car, snacks everywhere, extreme desire to eat. Gah!!!!

brelo 07-29-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonyasbug (Post 4802739)
There is also a good bool called woman food and God. Very insightful. I'd like to share w you and all others I guess, that after I lost 100lbs I decided to seek counseling. I know I had food issues, how else would I have gotten 160 lbs overweight. But my main focus was maintaining my lost. I love counseling for so many reasons and I continue to fight the good food fight! Almost at goal and I never thought that would be me. Lots of hugs!

Sonyasbug I think this is a great thing you are doing! I have thought of it myself but I would have to pay it all out of pocket until my deductible was met. I have a very large friend who lost a couple hundred pounds through gastric bypass and who lost it and is keeping it off through counseling. Sounds like you have a great counselor too which is a real plus.

Although I will tell you that I went to a fitness resort last year and had 2 sessions with the life coach. I learned a lot about myself in those 2 hours. She basically had me tell her what my beliefs about myself were, then she challenged each one, and together we came up with what is the real truth.
That's kind of it a nutshell anyway. Very eye opening. I would love to see her again, but she is hundreds of miles away.

Keep it up, you have so much to be proud of. I am proud of you, too!