Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalaroo View Post
This thought is whole reason I have never kept weight off in the past. I would diet then revert back to eating all the junk that put the weight on in the first place. But I've finally had it and I am determined to change. And since I have so much to lose (140lbs) this time around, I NEVER want to have to lose this much weight again so I had to change the way I think about not just food but also weight gain.

This way of thinking is what helps me when I'm scared of gaining the weight back. I've realized that I will never truly be off IP. When I hit maintenance, I will do my best to follow phase 4 for the rest of my life, but I will inevitably stray and put on a few pounds. I know this and I accept this. The old me would just get upset but would never do anything to lose the weight. The new me will take action! I will monitor my weight and set a maximum weight gain limit (when the clothes get tight), then I will add in Ph 1, Ph 2 and Ph 3 into my eating habits as needed to shed any excess pounds right away.

I wish you the best of luck losing your remaining weight and I hope you can find a way that works for you!
Wishing all maintainers that .... have not reached maintenance yet myself...but will prob phase off after labor day and so have begun thinking about it all.

Have begun the dialog with my coach about the pitfalls of the rest of my life...her advice based on her most successful clients is to "know" your BMR...and approx daily caloric needs. Keep track MOST days. When you have multiple days or a biggie food event party weekend...vacation etc....plan on a week or 10 days of P1/P2 eating to balance things out. This is something I think I should automatically do .... and mentally, get myself back on track before the scale is screaming at me. Of course theory and reality ...do ever the two meet? In the best of worlds....I hope....which I shall enter by fall.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmod View Post
I've been doing the "poor peoples" version of IP from the start, so I am 100% alternative. Just discovered Shirataki noodles - 0 calories, gluten/soy free, 0 carbs, 0 protein...basically a "nothing" food, BUT it adds bulk so it is filling, making those mid meal cravings much easier to handle. So far I've added it to my lunch time soup and protein/veggie dinner. Try as I might, I can't find a valid reason NOT to use this on IP
To you IP pros - am I missing something or does this seem OK?
IF OK - I just got mine thru a Groupon.com offer...24 variety pack - 6 each of angel hiair, rice, fettuccinni, ziti.
I promoise I have no affiliation with Groupon.
Looking forward to reply.
IP is more than just calories/fat/carbs
It is also an alkaline diet
I have no idea how the noodles fit there...
I DO know they are not part of the protocol

Last edited by lisa32989; 07-26-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #18  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I've never read any blood pressure probs with coconut oil but it CAN help clear out a candida overgrowth, which could cause temporary headaches.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking perhaps the coconut oil was linked to the headaches rather than the BP. The candida overgrowth is intriguing. I will read up on that. You amaze me with knowledge you have gleaned.

Art3mis: i am almost 10 weeks OP and really should see my GP as a precaution. I have heard that thyroid issues can creep up on IP, so I will keep an eye on BP and headaches. If things don't resolve I will make an appt.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #19  

Thank you for the info - Your posts are always so helpful.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #20  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Lisa: omg! I just read up on candida overgrowth. I had surgery a few months ago and was on IV antibiotics. I have had a lot of stress in the last few months and broke out in hives. I am exhausted, have trouble concentrating, and have the bowel symptoms. Although I no longer have the digestion issues; constant heartburn, since starting IP. I think I had every symptom and cause listed. Who knew I was accidentally eating something that would help!? And it says that a diet high in refined carbs contributes. Well...that used to be me. :-)

Yet another benefit of changing to a healthier lifestyle! I am so happy I decided to do IP.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
Lisa: omg! I just read up on candida overgrowth. I had surgery a few months ago and was on IV antibiotics. I have had a lot of stress in the last few months and broke out in hives. I am exhausted, have trouble concentrating, and have the bowel symptoms. Although I no longer have the digestion issues; constant heartburn, since starting IP. I think I had every symptom and cause listed. Who knew I was accidentally eating something that would help!? And it says that a diet high in refined carbs contributes. Well...that used to be me. :-)

Yet another benefit of changing to a healthier lifestyle! I am so happy I decided to do IP.
I'm glad it was helpful. Yet another thing most MD/DO (PCP) won't address b/c it doesn't fit their narrow scope. I sooo wish they would work more with the Naturopaths but the big money isn't there...big money is in keeping people sick and dependent on pharmaceuticals and medical procedures, not in seeking cures and health. It is just the way the system is set up. Natural health providers are made to look like quacks by the big money medical machine. But there is so much health and healing to be found if we look outside the box.

I'm not totally dissing the medical community. If we have an infectious disease, traumatic injury, acute illness, or true need for surgery, these are the go-to people. I'm just saying they aren't the final authority for wellness. They're also great at symptom reduction but I had to look outside to actually find a way OFF meds.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 262/231.5/180

Physicians do not have a narrow scope, we deal with thousands of conditions and train for at least 11 years. I essentially gave up my young adult life and the time to enjoy a marriage and the chance to have children for hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans, going days with no sleep, all to take care of people who are suffering. Your comments are very inflammatory towards the those of us who have given up so much to help people. Yes, we do not study natural medicine, because that is not our scope, there are schools that teach that to other people. We focus on the pathophysiology of the human body, and treating it with western medications. Of course there are other options, but you can't expect one individual to know everything. You wouldn't expect an accountant, to know the same information as a Wall Street broker, they both work with numbers, but different aspects.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 262/231.5/180

And honestly, the "big money pharmeceutical" comment makes me laugh. No physician I know gets any money from pharmeceutical companies. Maybe in the past that was an issue, and maybe with some physicians with looser morals, but since I have been in medicine, it's a no-no. We don't ever allow reps into our hospital. I haven't even spoken to one in about 5 years. You are really misinformed. The biggest issue is that patients WANT drugs, even if they don't need them. I have to spend 4 times the amount of time trying to explain why drugs aren't always the answer. Maybe you should spend some time thinking about "not totally dissing" my profession before doing it. I work long, long hours, and I love my job and patients, but it must be nice to have so much free time to be online all day long...
Old 07-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 229.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5

EEEEPPP!! I get to pick up my new SUV tomorrow. Almost this means heading out of town. I've been planning.

Today I did a small trial run. I went to subway for lunch. I never thought I'd ever order a salad before I've been getting my veggies for the past four weeks as purees or spinach in my morning shake. I'm currently eating the salad and it's tolerable. Mini-NSV! My fingers are crossed this mean my taste buds are changing and I'll finally be able to eat veggies normally.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #25  
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/145

Height: 5ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
One week down; 7 lbs gone. Mentally ready to do this; as mentioned above, that is the BIGGEST factor. Realizing how many activities revolve around food: church gatherings, fairs, television commercials. I have had to turn off the TV! Have brought out the knitting and crochet to keep my hands busy in the evenings.
Yes, our social gatherings do tend to revolve around (or at least include) food! I am so thankful that on this diet I really am not hungry so don't feel deprived -- it makes it SO much easier to stay OP! I keep an "emergency" IP bar and packets of WF salad dressings in my purse in case I'm ever at an event where the food is not IP-friendly. I attended a church potluck last Sunday, and was honestly content to watch my friends eat while I enjoyed an IP peanut crunch bar and tea.

Congratulations, 7 lbs down in your first week is great!!! And it DOES get easier and easier.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #26  

Height: 5'5"

Hi All! Had my official weigh-in yesterday, I'm down 6 lbs and 6 inches! Wahoo! I am back to where I was (on paper) when I quit IP last year. In other news - tried my first spinach-choco smoothie (I use muscle milk) and YUM! What a great way to get in my veggies! I get sick of them so quickly. I also tried rutabaga fries for the first time and I am so happy I found that recipe! What a treat!!! YUM! I find the longer I am on IP the better everything OP seems to taste. I thought the rutabaga fries were better than any real french fry I'd ever had. Going to try to cook them longer next time to get them crispy. Any tips on that, anyone?

Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmod View Post
I've been doing the "poor peoples" version of IP from the start, so I am 100% alternative. Just discovered Shirataki noodles - 0 calories, gluten/soy free, 0 carbs, 0 protein...basically a "nothing" food, BUT it adds bulk so it is filling, making those mid meal cravings much easier to handle. So far I've added it to my lunch time soup and protein/veggie dinner. Try as I might, I can't find a valid reason NOT to use this on IP
To you IP pros - am I missing something or does this seem OK?
IF OK - I just got mine thru a Groupon.com offer...24 variety pack - 6 each of angel hiair, rice, fettuccinni, ziti.
I promoise I have no affiliation with Groupon.
Looking forward to reply.
I have also been using the shiritaki noodles/"miracle noodles". I count them as a vegetable since they are made from mushrooms. Not sure if that's correct but it hasn't been hurting me! I used the the first time I did IP Last december and I still lost regularly. However, I don't think I used them more than once a week. If you like them, they're filling and you're still losing, then I see no reason why not! Personally I really like them and will be checking out that groupon! Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #27  

Yah Miracle Noddles should be okay i would think as they are all soluble fiber from a vegetable source. You may or may not have to count it towards your veggies i dunno

Serving Size: 3 oz
Servings Per Container: 2.3
Amount Per Serving
Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0g 0%
Protein 0g 0%
Protein <1g 0%
Sugar 0g 0%
Carbohydrate <1g - only fiber
Zero Net Carbs, Zero Calories, Zero Glycemic Index

Ingredients: Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium additive.

No soy, gluten, or wheat!

Manufactured in a facility that also processes soy product

Last edited by Art3mis; 07-26-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Height: 5'4"

mmmmmmmmm just made Miracle noodles, stirfry with tofu, red peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, low sodium soy sauce.. it was so good. I made chicken chow mein for hubby and then my own dinner. Its pretty much always that way, but I cook so that there are left overs for the next night.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #29  

First time posting here...Looking for some Phase 3 help as I am just about to enter that phase. I get migraines so I will not be able to eat stuff like bacon and processed meats (which seem sort of a staple for breakfast) and only the "soft" cheeses (cream, cottage, etc.) I cannot eat eggs every day; for some reason they bother my stomach. Also no artificial sweeteners allowed. I know this is going to be difficult but I have a new doctor who is really trying to get my migraines under control...Can you'all help me balance my Phase 3 breakfasts with variety please? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #30  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylew View Post
Good morning! I started IP in July of 2010, and lost 55 pounds by December of that year, going from 178 to 123.

The weight has crept back on, due to lack of self control. I restarted IP using alternative products on July 22nd.

I'm happy to be back OP!
Hi Amylew!! I remember you!! We did IP together in 2010! My weight has found me again, as well, and I started on July 11 using alternatives.
Closed Thread