IP Daily Chat Thursday 7/25/2013

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Phase 3 complete! Heading off to maintenance-land. It's a little daunting, but I CAN NOT WAIT to start exercising! My bike is all ready to go and my weights are very dusty. I just hope to lose those extra couple of pounds to get me to goal (and maybe beyond). If not, a short reboot is in my future, but not until summer is over. Yeeeeee dawgeee
  • Quote: Phase 3 complete! Heading off to maintenance-land. It's a little daunting, but I CAN NOT WAIT to start exercising! My bike is all ready to go and my weights are very dusty. I just hope to lose those extra couple of pounds to get me to goal (and maybe beyond). If not, a short reboot is in my future, but not until summer is over. Yeeeeee dawgeee
    Wow! Congratulations! What a great accomplishment and great way to usher in the second half of 2013!
  • I have read this entire thread this morning and I have a question as to what people were saying about kidney function. I have not felt good for a couple days and my lower back really hurts. It does not hurt when I urinate, sorry if that is TMI. I am wondering what a high protien diet can do to kidney function, kidney stones? It all may be completely unrelated but I have felt great 6 weeks, 7th week not so much, lol, thanks everyone.
  • Quote: Were you using the same batch of spinach in all of your shakes? If so, is it possible that your spinach is tainted? Salmonella could be a culprit. I've had it from other foods. Not fun and my symptoms were similar to yours.
    I was just going to suggest this as a possibility, too.

There was a bad round with spinach a year or two ago in Canada. Also, it is important to wash veggies really well (I use some fruit/veggie rinse.) Depending on country of origin, there are sometimes some nasty 'human waste' pollutants that are in the water used to irrigate crops.

And I have heard that green leafies are more prone to absorbing chemicals ... so if there is a chemical sensitivity developing, that might be something to check out.

Would be good to go see a doctor.
  • Quote: Phase 3 complete! Heading off to maintenance-land. It's a little daunting, but I CAN NOT WAIT to start exercising! My bike is all ready to go and my weights are very dusty. I just hope to lose those extra couple of pounds to get me to goal (and maybe beyond). If not, a short reboot is in my future, but not until summer is over. Yeeeeee dawgeee
    Wow! Congratulations and have fun exercising!
  • Snarfler WOW grats

trishthayer there is only one way to tell if your kidneys are being affected and that's to see your PCP and get some blood work done. If you're still voiding like you have been and drinking all your fluids the chance of it (stones/problems) is slim to none but...best to rule out kidney problems earlier rather than later.

as for the spinach being tainted, the GI upset would last all day long and more than likely not go away if that were the case...not just occur after drinking the shake.
  • It was 2 different batches of spinach, so I don't think it's that. I've been feeling iffy all day since the nausea/pains this morning subsided; I may attempt to try just the shake without the spinach this weekend to see if that's the issue...definitely do not want to go through this again at work.

Here's to hoping I make it through Bon Jovi tonight without spending the entire concert in the bathroom...
  • Quote: Just got back from PCP and all is fine. He said I was right to be concerned with those readings, but he thinks my home BP kit may be malfunctioning. That being said, my readings were still a little on the high side for me. The first was 145/90 and the second was 128/85. He felt much better after the second reading.

All in all, he congratulated me on the weight loss, warned me about not going back to my old eating ways, and gave me a mini-lecture of "crash diets." He didn't know anything about IP and although I tried to explain it, he said getting the weight off was good, but the trick is in maintaining it. I guess he's right and he's never had much of a bedside manner, so oh well. I know what I need to do and I'm sure he sees hundreds of patients yo-yo so his advice is warranted.

He didn't seem at all concerned with my dizzy spells. Hmmmm. Really? But I will just keep track of things on my end, be sure to up my salt intake and maybe invest in a new BP cuff.

So, thanks for all of your replies. Glad to hear it's nothing terrible to be concerned about.

Glad to hear the positive report. If the dizzy spells continue you may choose to get a second opinion. Good idea to keep track on your end of things. Good luck!
  • Hi, new here!
    I just started IP on 8/17 and had my first weigh in on Tuesday and I'm down 5.8 pounds! I've been through the mill with many different diets especially this past year and just haven't been able to loose an significant amount of weight so I am praying that this is finally the one for me!

I'm glad I found this forum as there is sooo much information I don't even know where to begin. I guess my biggest thing is looking for substitutes for things that will work that we do not have to buy from our coaches. I don't know what each of you are paying, but I'm paying A LOT and won't be able to afford it for long without finding some other options, so any help or pointers in the right direction would be helpful.
  • Quote: I just started IP on 8/17 and had my first weigh in on Tuesday and I'm down 5.8 pounds! I've been through the mill with many different diets especially this past year and just haven't been able to loose an significant amount of weight so I am praying that this is finally the one for me!

I'm glad I found this forum as there is sooo much information I don't even know where to begin. I guess my biggest thing is looking for substitutes for things that will work that we do not have to buy from our coaches. I don't know what each of you are paying, but I'm paying A LOT and won't be able to afford it for long without finding some other options, so any help or pointers in the right direction would be helpful.
    Hi And welcome! There is a great thread about Alternatives and we all have tried them ( or most of us). I personally recommend a couple of products if it helps though this is only my second week. I lost 7 lbs in the first week and on my way to a good loss this week:

Maple Grove Farms sugar free Pancake Mix- I do not follow the directions, I only mix it with water

Walden Farms Maple Syrup- yum

Walden Farms Chocolate sauce- I add this to the Yogurt drink from IP and it is really good but you could add it to anything

Muscle Milk Light - vanilla cream and chocolate- Great Ready to Drink shakes and I also use the vanilla in coffee in the AM- delicious

Quest bars- these are restricted but oh my... the chocolate chip cookie dough is to die for. Many people like the Cinnamon Bun and eat it for breakfast

All of these things can be ordered at www.netrition.com and I have literally gotten my order the next day with the basic shipping cost.

I also feel 3 egg whites plus 1 yolk is a good omelet but I believe Lisa knows the exact comparison to IP Omelets.

I advice adding spices to foods to enrich flavor.

Many people use EAS Ready to drink (RTD) shakes and like them. I haven't tried them yet. GNC makes a delicious shake- Lean something... and when they have a sale like right now that is a good price. I loved the strawberries and cream.

Hope this helps!
  • Thanks! This gives me a good place to start. I have to say that I am hesitant to try anything else from WF after trying the honey dijon dressing, yuck!! But I am bound and determined to find another salad dressing besides the Greek Lite, I'm sick of it already.

Has anyone used the Heinz low sugar ketchup? I haven't been able to see the whole label but it is supposed to be low to no carb too.
  • Phase 3 Heartburn - Anyone else have this issue?
    I also posted this question on an older phase 3 thread.

Background: I've been on IP almost one full year. I've been hovering at the same weight for about two months, so like a few others here, I decided to cycle off for a couple of months, maintain where I am and then come back to phase 1 to see if I can drop the last 15 lbs. I've lost 72 lbs and over 100 inches. I'm off all high blood pressure, cholesterol, acid reflux and diabetes medications -- that happened in the first 3 months of IP. Other than the headache/flu symptoms of the first few days, I've felt terrific on IP.

I had my first phase 3 breakfast this morning. Within 30 minutes I had severe heartburn/acid reflux. Prior to IP I was on Prilosec full time. Three weeks into the program I was able to stop using it. I was so uncomfortable today that I couldn't eat lunch and ended up taking a Pepcid Complete. My coach/Dr's office had no input for me other than to omit the fruit tomorrow.

Here's what I ate:
    2 slices of Udi's gluten free whole grain bread (20 g carbs)
    1 whole egg
    1 slice low fat cheese
    1 slice fat free ham
    1 cup mixed strawberries & blueberries (about 15 carbs)
    3 T. FF Greek yogurt

Anyone else have heartburn in phase 3? What the heck?? Maybe I can't eat fruit or even GF bread. I have to say that while I was eating it, this breakfast was amazing. The fruit alone was to die for -- after having had zero for a year. Then 30 minutes later I felt like I was, lol! Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Quote: I also posted this question on an older phase 3 thread.

Background: I've been on IP almost one full year. I've been hovering at the same weight for about two months, so like a few others here, I decided to cycle off for a couple of months, maintain where I am and then come back to phase 1 to see if I can drop the last 15 lbs. I've lost 72 lbs and over 100 inches. I'm off all high blood pressure, cholesterol, acid reflux and diabetes medications -- that happened in the first 3 months of IP. Other than the headache/flu symptoms of the first few days, I've felt terrific on IP.

I had my first phase 3 breakfast this morning. Within 30 minutes I had severe heartburn/acid reflux. Prior to IP I was on Prilosec full time. Three weeks into the program I was able to stop using it. I was so uncomfortable today that I couldn't eat lunch and ended up taking a Pepcid Complete. My coach/Dr's office had no input for me other than to omit the fruit tomorrow.

Here's what I ate:
    2 slices of Udi's gluten free whole grain bread (20 g carbs)
    1 whole egg
    1 slice low fat cheese
    1 slice fat free ham
    1 cup mixed strawberries & blueberries (about 15 carbs)
    3 T. FF Greek yogurt

Anyone else have heartburn in phase 3? What the heck?? Maybe I can't eat fruit or even GF bread. I have to say that while I was eating it, this breakfast was amazing. The fruit alone was to die for -- after having had zero for a year. Then 30 minutes later I felt like I was, lol! Thanks for any suggestions.

I haven't had regular heartburn since I started low carbing several years ago before IP. However, I used to find it was actually high carbs from breads/pastas that seemed to do it for me. I wonder if having 2 slices of bread was just a little heavy for your first breakfast. In P1-2 carbs from grains are pretty limited.

Try the same bfast w/1 slice or no slices and see. Maybe it isn't the fruit after all. You could try making up those carbs in another way (a little oatmeal?)

Let us know what you fibd out.
  • Cyclosporiasis outbreak causing abdominal/gastric misery...

http://www.examiner.com/article/stom...otect-yourself

Transmitted via fresh fruits, veggies and water
  • Has any one used powdered peanut butter? Could it be used as a restricted item? I am thinking about adding it to a vanilla or chocolate shake for a snack. 2 T, 45 cal, 5 g carb, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein, but does have 1 g sugar.
    Thoughts? not allowed because of sugar or a once a week add to a shake okay?