Old 07-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #16  
Start IP 6/6/2013

S/C/G: 199/153/120

Height: 5ft

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I was like that for about 10 months! Gradually I started to feel like I could actually maintain a lower weight, healthier lifestyle, which includes monitoring my food intake and my exercise.
Then I knew phasing off wouldn't be so scary. My Fitness Pal has been a huge help with that!

Excessive heat is just one more reason why the scale doesn't tell the whole story of our weight loss journey. Lets make sure we're not falling prey to worshiping the scale. It is ONE tool on this fantastic journey.

I haven't been on the scale in 3 weeks (away from home. Every scale is different). I put on some jeans last nite (heat wave ended here) and they were definitely bigger than last time I wore them. Still headed in the right direction, scale or no scale, heat or no heat, P1 or P3!

Thanks Lisa for the encouragement! I agree that I need to back off the scale a bit. IP has actually worked for me already even though I feel bloated most of the time. I think taking the enzymes helps that a bit. I thought it might be due to too much sodium but I don't use a lot of salt beyond what is recommended. I think it is just how my body responds to protein shakes. My coach does not seem concerned.

Congratulations on your continued success! It is so inspirational to hear the wisdom that comes from this site!!
Goodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #17  

Lolo70...would you explain what health problems (not yours per say) but what the commercial leaves out please. Did one of our members have a health issue because of IP? I would like to know more about this as I always feel, especially in the summer as if I am retaining water (rings tighter etc) also I would like to be aware of lo g term impacts etc someone please fill me in
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandc2006 View Post
Lolo70...would you explain what health problems (not yours per say) but what the commercial leaves out please. Did one of our members have a health issue because of IP? I would like to know more about this as I always feel, especially in the summer as if I am retaining water (rings tighter etc) also I would like to be aware of lo g term impacts etc someone please fill me in
Long-term low carb dieting can interfere with thyroid function. It may only affect a fraction of people. I was one of them. Glucose/carbs are necessary for the creation of active T3 thyroid hormone. This, in turn is also necessary for a proper estrogen/progesterone balance. You can get some information here:

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/d...-experts/15305

Chris Kresser also talks about it. Though the two sources differ somewhat in their opinion.

http://chriskresser.com/thyroid

Anyways, I was on a mildly ketogenic diet and lost at a slow and steady rate. But for some medical tests I needed to lose weight faster and switched to the more carb-restricted IP diet. It really worked great initially and I was happy. But within 6 weeks I realized problems emerging. I was always very hungry despite being in ketosis, my TOM went crazy, I became very depressed and after some more weeks my LDL levels were high and I started to observe cholesterol deposits around the eyes. I also started gaining weight. IP never mentioned those potential problems, but pushed their diet as being medically based. Many of the problems I mentioned above are claimed to be due temporary due to the "release of estrogen and other toxic compounds from the fat you loose". I knew this was b.. but it took me some time to find some explanation. What exactly happens on very low carb is still in the dark. Paleo diet forums have more people who have seen the same problems and some IPers have also experienced it. Again, some people - maybe with existing thyroid problems - seem to be more prone. Just be watchful for symptoms and don't ignore your body despite your desire to lose weight fast. I have been carb loading since, eat a lot more now and currently maintain without a problem at my lower weight until I figure out what to do next.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmomX2 View Post
A question about added salt-- my coach is very insistent on me adding the ideal salt to make certain I get the allotted amount per day. It's always bothered me a bit because I generally avoid adding salt to foods. 65x65, how do you get around this?

Thanks!
Hi sorry for delay in getting back to this thread... Travels and other time constraints.
First sodium sensitivity is as personal as our individual metabolisms. It's not "general". Your baseline is best determined with history and your Drs eval. That being said... There is a LOT of evidence salt intake should decrease with age, ESP after age 50. For me... That puts me in a pretty low suggested range. Some studies as low as 500 mg. Some of the foods I eat a lot of on this diet contain sodium. Spinach.. Celery... And animal proteins. When I calculate the daily intake from what is naturally occurring... I need to becareful what I add... As additional salt as well as looking at what sodium amts are in the processed protein from IP. When I don't pay attention ... I find it easy to exceed MY body's threshold, which is different today than it was at age 45!

Last edited by 65X65; 07-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 PM   #20  

Thanks for the explanations guys. I am super paranoid when it comes to health issues and I am always cautious. While I know IP is great, I have never doubted that it could have some adverse side effects that you don't often hear about. Scary stuff. Heres to staying healthy in more ways than just losing weight!
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #21  
Began IP January 17, 2013

S/C/G: 223/IP219.6/154.5/139

Height: 5'3

I need to get going on posting, so I can reach my 20! I enjoy all of your posts, ladies! Thanks!
SongofJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #22  
flubadub15

S/C/G: 152/137.5/135

Height: 5' 2"

I feel like i'm retaining water too. Seem to be stuck on 138 fluctuating up and down around that number. I drink lots of water and walk outside everyday but it is getting depressing.
flubadub15 is offline   Reply With Quote