Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #121  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Not much time today, but wanted to check in.

All is well - reboot still going strong. I did however end up with a higher sodium day again yesterday, so I know I'm still retaining water. Going to pay special attention today so that I get rid of it tomorrow - asparagus is on the menu! LOL - it helps me flush that sodium out.

Exercised this am right after I woke up, as per new schedule. I did Leslie Sansome's 'Muscle Walk' again with light weights, so I'm hoping this helps me gain extra muscle as well as getting the aerobic benefits. It certainly does help energize me. Hopefully if I keep up this schedule for enough days, it will become a habit....

I did use my Cuisinart icecream maker to indulge in my alternative icecream treat last night, and it hit the spot. I 'fudged' slightly by putting some almond milk and unsweetened cocoa powder in with the water & chocolate protein powder mixture - tasty, and I was still well within the day's nutritional requirements. (well... everything but my total day sodium count, which I do try to keep at or below 1500mg).

Think that's all for now - hope you are all having a good day.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #122  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Hi everyone! I haven't been around much in the last few weeks with so much going on with closing on the new house. Right now we're dealing with contractors doing crown molding, custom closets, outdoor kitchen, etc. My husband is actually coordinating most of that, and I'll get involved again when it's actually time to move everything from the temporary rental house to the new place at the end of the month. At work I'm just waiting for word that the agency request for early retirement authority has been approved, and then I'm outta there! Thank goodness we downsized - in both size and financial terms! - at the right time so retiring is actually an option. In the meantime all of the traveling back and forth is getting old.

I have a question for y'all ... I'm one of those who has long suspected gluten sensitivity, and although I've limited pasta, bread products, cereals, etc. as I moved into maintenance, I've been having increasingly significant intestinal distress lately. This morning I've been in the bathroom about every 30 minutes (I had an egg sandwich with a thin bagel and strawberries and yogurt). I just downloaded the gluten version of Fooducate and plan to start using it right away. Anyone else dealing with Celiac disease or something similar? The list of symptoms really amazed me since I have so many that I thought were totally unrelated (e.g., stomach cramping, skin rashes, muscle spasms/twitching, burning tongue and brain fog). I'm almost afraid to put anything in my mouth these days as it seems to trigger an almost immediate reaction.

Hope everyone is doing well. I'll try to take some time today to catch up with all of you.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #123  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

I apparently haven't learned my lesson yet. We were having a minor "fun day" today and I had very small portion of banana pudding that had whipped topping on it. I'm not sure if it was the dairy or the sugar but about 1/2 hour later I had a serious upset stomach. I really haven't had dairy since January since we migrated to Paleo after P3 so I suspect it was that but the only sweetener we've had since January has been agave that I add when cooking oatmeal. Could be either one so best just to leave them both alone. The pudding wasn't worth the upset stomach that's for sure.

Good news is after 3 full weeks on maintenance still holding steady. Tomorrow will be a P1 day just because and then back at it on Monday.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #124  
Started IP 12/6/12

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I spent most of mine getting my system back in order but feel pretty good now that I've once again eliminated gluten from my diet. My weight has been holding pretty steady although I'm on the low end right now due to the intestinal issues this week.

The more I read about Celiac disease and gluten intolerance, the more I'm amazed at the wide range of symptoms they can cause. In just a couple of days, all the weird twitchiness in my legs has ceased, and I'm feeling a lot more normal.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 213/201/185

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
I am enjoying CrossFit. I go 4 days a week, Mon, Tue, Wed, and Fri. I go to the earliest class, 6am, so I have a full day in front of me. I have never been one to enjoy exercise, one of the reasons I needed IP, but this has been a lot of fun and I've met some great people. I never played sports in school but I would imagine the group feeling is likely the same
I am the same way. I have never enjoyed exercise. I am getting up early and running these days. It is getting more tolerable as I get into better shape. I am try to trick myself into enjoying it.

I find when I work out in the morning, my appetite is huge the rest of the day. I eat more, but don't gain anything.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #126  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Mdloser: I work out in the am also and think the increased metabolism, helps me not to gain. I did not like working out at first, but it does get easier the longer you do it. Right now I actually enjoy ST and seeing the weights change.

Bubbleblower: My son was just diagnosed with gluten intolerance, but not celiac disease.He can get cramps, diarrhea,and an upset stomach. His doctor told him to eliminate dairy as well. He gets a reaction to cream and sour cream immediately. Are you getting any reactions to yogurt or diary?
My friend who has celiac gets immediate nausea...severe.
Have you read the wheat belly diet? He deals with this subject.
I am glad you are feeling better..corn meal and corn flour help for substitutes.
Your new house is exciting.

M35A: That is too bad about the pudding...great job on the 3 weeks of staying
at goal weight.

Evepet: Your reboot is going well!!! That is interesting about asparagus and sodium.. I may experiment. Finding a healthy icecream is a great way to treat yourself and stay on track.

Well, I had an awful weekend looking for Apts in Seattle with my son. It really is hard to find a good apt at a reasonable price.
The good news is that my weight stayed the same, even though I went to a sushi bar..loved the sushi and tried not to think about the rice carbs.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #127  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

I second Maile on the Wheat Belly Diet. If you get the Wheat Belly Cook Book it has most of the information from the original book plus recipes. He has a lot of good arguments pointing to wheat really affecting autoimmune diseases so we'll see if cutting wheat affects my MS.

I've been having good luck with almond flour but haven't ventured out much beyond making muffins. I'm planning to try some waffles this week for breakfast as that's the only meal we're not doing Paleo at the moment. If I can get something that can pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast it'd make it easier.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #128  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Bubbleblower: My son was just diagnosed with gluten intolerance, but not celiac disease.He can get cramps, diarrhea,and an upset stomach. His doctor told him to eliminate dairy as well. He gets a reaction to cream and sour cream immediately. Are you getting any reactions to yogurt or diary?
My friend who has celiac gets immediate nausea...severe.
Have you read the wheat belly diet? He deals with this subject.
I am glad you are feeling better..corn meal and corn flour help for substitutes.
Your new house is exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35A2 View Post
I second Maile on the Wheat Belly Diet. If you get the Wheat Belly Cook Book it has most of the information from the original book plus recipes. He has a lot of good arguments pointing to wheat really affecting autoimmune diseases so we'll see if cutting wheat affects my MS.

I've been having good luck with almond flour but haven't ventured out much beyond making muffins. I'm planning to try some waffles this week for breakfast as that's the only meal we're not doing Paleo at the moment. If I can get something that can pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast it'd make it easier.
I haven't read the Wheat Belly Diet. I'll have to check it out. I'm not sure about dairy, but I've been sticking pretty much to almond milk since I moved to maintenance, and the last couple of days I've cut out the yogurt I had been having in the mornings in my quest to straighten out my system. I had been getting a lot of nausea and cramps, and also neurological symptoms that made my GP want to rule out MS (it was). But everything fits with celiac disease. I see a GE tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see... I'm feeling better but still not 100%.

Sorry for the all about me posts, but it hard to focus on much when you're not feeling well ... I can't believe how much time I've wasted in bed and in the bathroom lately! Hope you all are doing great!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
I haven't read the Wheat Belly Diet. I'll have to check it out. I'm not sure about dairy, but I've been sticking pretty much to almond milk since I moved to maintenance, and the last couple of days I've cut out the yogurt I had been having in the mornings in my quest to straighten out my system. I had been getting a lot of nausea and cramps, and also neurological symptoms that made my GP want to rule out MS (it was). But everything fits with celiac disease. I see a GE tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see... I'm feeling better but still not 100%.

Sorry for the all about me posts, but it hard to focus on much when you're not feeling well ... I can't believe how much time I've wasted in bed and in the bathroom lately! Hope you all are doing great!
I'm a lurker, as I still have a ways to go before maintenance.

I'm so glad you're investigating this. My mom, uncle and brother all have celiac. My uncle had symptoms, (awful stomach pain, constant BM's, headaches, etc.) while my brother gets very lethargic and my mom experienced no symptoms at all. She only got tested because celiac can be hereditary.

However, even without symptoms, celiac is dangerous to your health if not treated as the gluten eats away at your intestines and makes you more prone to cancer.

Glad you are on the path to recovery!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #130  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I'm a lurker, as I still have a ways to go before maintenance.

I'm so glad you're investigating this. My mom, uncle and brother all have celiac. My uncle had symptoms, (awful stomach pain, constant BM's, headaches, etc.) while my brother gets very lethargic and my mom experienced no symptoms at all. She only got tested because celiac can be hereditary.

However, even without symptoms, celiac is dangerous to your health if not treated as the gluten eats away at your intestines and makes you more prone to cancer.

Glad you are on the path to recovery!
Thank you! I really have been trying to figure this out for awhile and it was only when the GI problems got really bad that I finally started putting two and two together in terms of celiac disease. And yes, it's really the long term damage I'm concerned about - although the short-term 'allergic' reactions are no fun at all!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Hi everyone! After several months off, I'm back! Had some serious health issues that took me out of the game for a while, but I'm close to having those resolved (I think, fingers crossed!) I"m gonna get myself over to the reboot thread, as I did pick up some weight with the illness. I'm setting a goal to lose 10 lbs, not too bad, but I have to do a modified IP from here out due to health concerns. It's good to be back, looking forward to catching up with everyone!
Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #132  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Nolawhodatchick: welcome back. I hope your health issues are better. Working on getting up pounds off is something everyone in maintenance goes through. Good luck on the reboot and your modified IP.

Bubbleblower: I am sorry you are not feeling well. I really hope your doctor can help you. They tested my son and he did not test celiac, but still gets reactions. South Beach diet also has a new gluten free approach. Hope you feel better.

I am enjoying my precious days of freedom before I work full time.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #133  

Height: 5' 7"

I thought I'd check in. I finished my first week of CrossFit. Although I'm very sore, I enjoyed the workout. I'm having to learn a new way of eating so I don't crash and burn on the gym floor

I'm still maintaining my weight at around 165 but I know that as I build muscle that will go up. I'm not worried as long as my waist continues to stay the same or get smaller

I hope everyone is doing well...!!!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #134  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi, all! Glad to see the thread is staying busy.

Haven't been around in more than a week - just busy. Had jury duty this week - in addition to the stress of making a decision that will change someone's life in a big way, there was no healthy food available in the jury room. I brought some carrots and a protein bar the second day, but did not expect to be there in to the afternoon... Oh well - I had to eat. What's done is done.

Maile - where do you find this healthy ice cream?

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #135  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Hi, all! Glad to see the thread is staying busy.

Haven't been around in more than a week - just busy. Had jury duty this week - in addition to the stress of making a decision that will change someone's life in a big way, there was no healthy food available in the jury room. I brought some carrots and a protein bar the second day, but did not expect to be there in to the afternoon... Oh well - I had to eat. What's done is done.

Maile - where do you find this healthy ice cream?

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Hi Lizzy,

It seems like you are doing great!
Closed Thread