Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #16  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Lolo, just to add some anecdotal evidence to the mix...

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's hypothyroid 3 and a half years ago, after my youngest was born. I had been symptomatic but untreated (thanks to doctors who at the time didn't understand that a slightly elevated TSH could be a BIG problem if your patient's therapeutic level is naturally low) for almost NINE years before that.

I started IP at the end of July last year, and never once experienced issues as you have described. I followed the Phase 1 protocol closely - my daily calories were right in the 650-900 range, my daily net carbs between 30 and 40. The program didn't heighten my thyroid issues or cause rash/skin irritation.

I actually feel BETTER when I am lower in carbs, even in maintenance. One of my symptoms from the thyroid was a slower digestive process (when I'd eat, hours later it would feel like a bowling ball was sitting in my guts, no matter how small the meal). Low carb seems to reduce that symptom in particular for me. So I'm not sure what (if any) correlation exists.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 221/163/130

Height: 5'2"

I am not sure what happened in my weight loss journey. I was steadily losing from October 2012 to mid February. I lost 60 pounds & then it stopped. I didn't gain or lose. Was losing my hair pretty steady too. So I phased thru the steps & gained thru phase 2-4. During phase one I was averaging 750 calories, 25-35 carbs & 30 gr fat. I am now eating 11oo calories, staying low carb 30-40 carbs & 40-50 gr fat. I am making healthy choices, still no fruit or starchy veggies etc. no junk food & I am still slowly gaining. The only good news is that my hair is coming back. So I am not sure what happened & have wondered if my body decided it was starving or something. I had my thyroid checked & it's fine. I didn't change anything, wasn't cheating & didn't exercise.

Now I am concerned about how many calories to eat as I am still slowly gaining. I wasn't finished my journey! My goal was 135.

Last edited by Wild wire; 06-11-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Wild wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #18  
Ideal protein user!

S/C/G: 179/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches17
Interesting info Grazi - thank you so much.

I know I have been poking along in my losses lately and it's nice to think about options available to switch things up.

My personal trainer lady with 14% body fat just today suggested how to deal with stalls. She mentioned tricking the body at times and changing things up either with different exercise or nutritional patterns can prompt changes. So, your info comes in Divine Timing.

I've always suspected a slow thyroid but never went for testing. How do they do it? If blood testing, I'm out.
---
Thank you.
No problem!
and yes I had mine done with blood testing. It's not that bad, you can handle it!
grazi393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild wire View Post
I am not sure what happened in my weight loss journey. I was steadily losing from October 2012 to mid February. I lost 60 pounds & then it stopped. I didn't gain or lose. Was losing my hair pretty steady too. So I phased thru the steps & gained thru phase 2-4. During phase one I was averaging 750 calories, 25-35 carbs & 30 gr fat. I am now eating 11oo calories, staying low carb 30-40 carbs & 40-50 gr fat. I am making healthy choices, still no fruit or starchy veggies etc. no junk food & I am still slowly gaining. The only good news is that my hair is coming back. So I am not sure what happened & have wondered if my body decided it was starving or something. I had my thyroid checked & it's fine. I didn't change anything, wasn't cheating & didn't exercise.

Now I am concerned about how many calories to eat as I am still slowly gaining. I wasn't finished my journey! My goal was 135.
How did they check your thyroid? TSH only or thyroid panel?
A complete panel often reveals more.
If it were me & I was struggling & gaining at this level, I'd get my adrenals checked. Most MDs don't do this so you usually need to find a naturopathic physician (ND). Goofed up cortisol or leptin or many other factors could be responsible. SOMETHING is definitely affecting metabolism. I'd find someone to help me get to the bottom of it (actually, I've just found a new doc)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

it was on an ideal protein blog. Disease started with an a. It said the doctor suspected it was due to being on IP for a prolonged period. I'm not knocking this diet. Trust me, I look awesome, I went from 154 to 105. I'm maintaining within 3 lbs, with allot of struggle of course. I am suspect that being in ketosis cannot be in any way good fir you, judging from how I felt the last few weeks I was on the diet. I felt pretty terrible I was on it for about 14 weeks. Soooo just speaking from experiences I had, and research I did online after the fact. I do think that I wouldn't have lost the weight if I didn't do this diet, so thankful for how great I look and feel, I don't condone doing it again for 4 months, that's it really.
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

Amyloidosis inability of the liver to break down protein. I'm not saying that its true, just something to think about the dangers of prolonged ketosis and how it negatively affects the liver kidneys is all over the Internet especially on bodybuilding websites, that's why bodybuilder a only go into ketosis for short stints of 8 to 12 weeks
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #22  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiChanel1 View Post
... that's why bodybuilder a only go into ketosis for short stints of 8 to 12 weeks
That's not why bodybuilders do it. They do it because while they're dieting down they're attempting to keep as much muscle as possible.

8-12 weeks is not going to cause most people problems if they're otherwise healthy.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Lexi. Seems to be a rare disease indeed. I found ketosis is the only way for me to effectively lose weight. But obviously a break may be needed. That is why it is important to look out for irregularities and symptoms. I have now increased carbs for a bit over a week and find my xanthelasma is decreasing. I feel like taking medical school classes doing this diet. Real on the job training.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
Concur with Lisa. If you are gaining at such low calories, I'd go and see the doctor. It could be fluid retention. I would also give your body a vacation. You may want to increase carbs above 100g for a while even if you thyroid panels (test them all incl antibodies) come back normal. I actually lost weight when doing this, presumably because I accumulated water. Low thyroid and increased cortisol can do that. I believe aldosterone is also in the circle of hormones that are influenced by thyroid/sex hormone levels, both of which can be affected by low carb diets. The 160s seem to be cursed pounds anyways that test your resolve.

I am having the same difficulty, having to eat extremely low cal and slowly but steadily gaining. I have just increased my carbs to around a 100g per day because I am starting to think my problem is very low fibre in my food. So I am making soups with lots of veggies buat also lots of beans. I am also adding a bit more fruit in the form of high fibre berries.I will try this for a week and see how it goes.
Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote