Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Just wanted to post my simple afternoon coffee pick-me-up for when I want to save my snack for after dinner.

Make a cup of coffee (I use decaf so I don't have to drink extra water) and add 1 tablespoon WF chocolate syrup and 1 tablespoon Torani sugar-free hazelnut syrup, enjoy!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 160/160/125

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Not Miracle Noodles - that brand is made with plant fibers and counts solely as an "extra". There are brands of Shiritaki noodles made with tofu, but they do not contain enough protein to count as part of your meat portion and they also contain carbs.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #93  
IP start Aug 2012

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
I have had migraines for many years and over the last 2 years they have become increasingly debilitating. Last October I went to a neurologist, convinced I must have a brain tumor! Along with the headaches I also have periods of dizziness and have even had episodes of falling down after a "jolt" like sensation in my head. The neurologist could find no cause for the headaches and dizziness.

In January I went to my gyno and she suggested my symptoms could be related to menopause. I began taking estrogen around the same time I started IP.

I too have noticed my headaches have stopped, with the exception of the first week. After many years suffering with these terrible headaches, wouldn't it be something if it is related to what I was eating!? I would NEVER have believed that could be possible. After reading that a few others are experiencing relief from headaches, it seems plausible. I have been reluctant to hope that this will continue, but I sure hope it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onmyway1014 View Post
dak1lls - interesting about the estrogen - my ob/gyn refused to even consider me for estrogen for menopause symtoms because of my history migraines. I wonder if now that they are gone I should ask again. I also would get the visual migraines and basically be seeing sparkly light and blank spots in my line of sight with the headaches, and then of course came the nausea and vomiting.....

It has been WONDERFUL to be without them.

Half again - I'm glad your headaches are gone too and your skin is better.

I do think there is something we are not eating on IP that is the cuplrit. We should keep eachother informed as we add foods back in in P3 and beyond to see if we can help eachother figure it out.
Wow. My docs never even let me use "the pill" or other hormone-containing birth control, due to migraines.
I've had migraines since childhood.
A few years ago they became very debilitating & I started on topomax to reduce the frequency.

After reading/learning from naturopathic medical & functional medicine practitioners, it doesn't surprise me at all that headaches are reduced OP. The reduction in sugars and grains is probably a huge contributing factor.

Speaking of my natural health folks, I just listened to a very good webinar that will only be free until Monday (tomorrow) morning. Lots of info about hormones and fat loss (click link to check it out)
Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #94  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleNP View Post
I use the House Foods Tofu Shirataki noodles as they are MUCH better than the miracle noodles (IMO). They have 20 calories and 3 carbs per serving (1/2 the bag). I was told that I could count them as 1/2 cup of veggies, which is helpful when making meal that already includes protein and veggies.
That's sort of a curious substitution, since tofu doesn't have a comparable nutritional content to veggies. Sounds like a "house rule".
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
That's sort of a curious substitution, since tofu doesn't have a comparable nutritional content to veggies. Sounds like a "house rule".
There is not much tofu in them, but they contain glucomannan which is from plant root and is actually a fiber. They have 20 calories and 3 carbs so they don't make the 0/0/0 rule. You have to count them as something. They are too low in protein to count toward your 8 oz. So . . . veggie seems the most logical place to count (or subtract actually) them.

But they have other benefits besides just satisfying a pasta craving. According to Dr. Oz "What is Glucomannan?
Glucomannan is a sugar made from the root of the konjac plant that has been used for centuries in traditional Japanese cooking as a thickener or gelling agent. It's so renowned in Japan that it even has it's own nickname--"the broom of the intestines" -- which gives you a pretty good idea of how it works. For just a few calories, glucomannan creates a sense of fullness by absorbing water and expanding to form a bulky fiber in your stomach.

"When consumed, glucomannan “sponges” up water in the digestive tract, reducing the absorption of carbs and cholesterol and thus supporting weight loss. [...] This supplement also makes you feel full without leaving you gassy or bloated..."

Last edited by SeattleNP; 06-02-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

House Foods Tofu Noodles - thanks for the great info about these! Just tried them tonight. I made an Asian dressing with low sodium soy, rice wine vinegar, couple drops of sesame oil, fresh grated ginger and Splenda. Rinsed the noodles and mixed w/dressing. Chilled. I also julienned cucumber (w/the recommended Julienne scraper tool I saw somewhere on here and bought at BBB today). I added red peppers and onion and then doused the whole thing w/the pickle juice from no sugar added Vlasic pickles. (I just KNEW I could find a use for the liquid after the pickles were gone!!)

I had the two cold Asian salads with some grilled pork chops... YUMMERS!!!
Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #97  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgirl231 View Post
OMG, me too. I've been divorced for over 20 years and the crazy sex dreams that I'm having with my ex are insane. Whew.
Your having Sex dreams? ? ? OMG!!!!!! . . . no wait, thank goodness mine don't include anything like that (see my mother was right, it can always get worse! lmao)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Wow. My docs never even let me use "the pill" or other hormone-containing birth control, due to migraines.
I've had migraines since childhood.
A few years ago they became very debilitating & I started on topomax to reduce the frequency.

After reading/learning from naturopathic medical & functional medicine practitioners, it doesn't surprise me at all that headaches are reduced OP. The reduction in sugars and grains is probably a huge contributing factor.

Speaking of my natural health folks, I just listened to a very good webinar that will only be free until Monday (tomorrow) morning. Lots of info about hormones and fat loss (click link to check it out)
Honestly have had terrible migraines since I was a teen. My first two weeks were filled with them so much that I could not eat all my food and the Doctor overseeing the cases wanted me to either stop the diet or get extensive testing. Thankfully that's when I hit the days that most people hit on day 4 or 5. I haven't had a bad headache or worse since (not counting today, but 1 in 4 months? I will take those improvements.) I have decided a month or so ago to not go back to eating wheat. There is nothing I crave from that food group. I know there is a possibility that it is something else but I will be open to that. Since I track everything I eat now on My Fitness Pal it will be much easier to see.

Tomi~ I know you have probably heard enough about your Friday night, but thought I would let you know that while some people can get away with drinking while on a ketogenic diet, the hangovers are made much worse because of being in ketosis. So the two bud lights combined with the worst day of the diet (for most people) could have in fact really messed you up that bad. Please don't just lash out at people here, as we all give help in our own ways. Some people are very patient and kind as others can be very matter of fact and to the point. In my opinion it really is best to have a mix of all types so you get a better overall 'picture'. . . then you can always pick and chose what you want to use in any given situation. This is a forum, when you ask, your asking us all. Also reading things in type I have found means we read in context when none was given (meaning ie: if I am in a foul mood, I normally take things way to personally and don't stop to think what really was said or meant) It takes a lot of practice at being a good forum reader, and much more to be able to post perfectly so no one ever misunderstands.

Just think we all need a reminder of this last point. I do hope your feeling better by now

Last edited by MntRose; 06-02-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #98  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleNP View Post
There is not much tofu in them, but they contain glucomannan which is from plant root and is actually a fiber. They have 20 calories and 3 carbs so they don't make the 0/0/0 rule. You have to count them as something. They are too low in protein to count toward your 8 oz. So . . . veggie seems the most logical place to count (or subtract actually) them.

But they have other benefits besides just satisfying a pasta craving. According to Dr. Oz "What is Glucomannan?
Glucomannan is a sugar made from the root of the konjac plant that has been used for centuries in traditional Japanese cooking as a thickener or gelling agent. It's so renowned in Japan that it even has it's own nickname--"the broom of the intestines" -- which gives you a pretty good idea of how it works. For just a few calories, glucomannan creates a sense of fullness by absorbing water and expanding to form a bulky fiber in your stomach.

"When consumed, glucomannan “sponges” up water in the digestive tract, reducing the absorption of carbs and cholesterol and thus supporting weight loss. [...] This supplement also makes you feel full without leaving you gassy or bloated..."
I get what you're saying - but if we are talking about IP rules versus something your coach has decided to allow, Miracle Noodles meet the rule while other tofu based noodles would not be allowed (and isn't considered a substitute for vegetables). There are lots of things that may be ok for the body but that doesn't necessarily mean they are IP appropriate. I referred to it as an individual coach's "house rules" because some coaches do "tweak" or change the IP rules on foods for one reason or another. Just want to make sure the new folks don't get confused about what is IP protocol versus what an individual clinic has decided to do.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
Some people are very patient and kind as others can be very matter of fact and to the point. In my opinion it really is best to have a mix of all types so you get a better overall 'picture'. . . then you can always pick and chose what you want to use in any given situation. This is a forum, when you ask, your asking us all. Also reading things in type I have found means we read in context when none was given (meaning ie: if I am in a foul mood, I normally take things way to personally and don't stop to think what really was said or meant) It takes a lot of practice at being a good forum reader, and much more to be able to post perfectly so no one ever misunderstands.

Just think we all need a reminder of this last point. I do hope your feeling better by now
This was nicely said MntRose. Forums are like real life, we're going to be drawn to some folks more than others and some will completely rub us wrong. It's just how it goes. Toss in the fact it is primarily women who's hormones are jacked and they haven't had the happy carbs in a while...yea, step away from the keyboard ! That said, I appreciate all the info and good cheer. I wouldn't have been as successful without it!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #100  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Interesting that so many have had the same experience re headaches. It is reaffirming to know that it is likely diet related. Who knew!!

Speaking of food. Oh my goodness. I just made IP Buffalo Chicken and it was phenomenal! Ate it on a bed of arugula and spinach with celery on the side. My boyfriend is so jealous :-)
Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #101  
To be fit and FLY....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilH3 View Post
I made it through the party! No cheats at all! I go home in the am.
EXCELLENT! It is such an accomplishment ... Huh? BRAVO
Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #102  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Poles1Girl View Post
This was nicely said MntRose. Forums are like real life, we're going to be drawn to some folks more than others and some will completely rub us wrong. It's just how it goes. Toss in the fact it is primarily women who's hormones are jacked and they haven't had the happy carbs in a while...yea, step away from the keyboard ! That said, I appreciate all the info and good cheer. I wouldn't have been as successful without it!
Haven't really thought about it this way before, but it is so true.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #103  
Started IP 5/29/13

S/C/G: 192/179/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
Your having Sex dreams? ? ? OMG!!!!!! . . . no wait, thank goodness mine don't include anything like that (see my mother was right, it can always get worse! lmao)

Honestly have had terrible migraines since I was a teen. My first two weeks were filled with them so much that I could not eat all my food and the Doctor overseeing the cases wanted me to either stop the diet or get extensive testing. Thankfully that's when I hit the days that most people hit on day 4 or 5. I haven't had a bad headache or worse since (not counting today, but 1 in 4 months? I will take those improvements.) I have decided a month or so ago to not go back to eating wheat. There is nothing I crave from that food group. I know there is a possibility that it

Tomi~ I know you have probably heard enough about your Friday night, but thought I would let you know that while some people can get away with drinking while on a ketogenic diet, the hangovers are made much worse because of being in ketosis. So the two bud lights combined with the worst day of the diet (for most people) could have in fact really messed you up that bad. Please don't just lash out at people here, as we all give help in our own ways. Some people are very patient and kind as others can be very matter of fact and to the point. In my opinion it really is best to have a mix of all types so you get a better overall 'picture'. . . then you can always pick and chose what you want to use in any given situation. This is a forum, when you ask, your asking us all. Also reading things in type I have found means we read in context when none was given (meaning ie: if I am in a foul mood, I normally take things way to personally and don't stop to think what really was said or meant) It takes a lot of practice at being a good forum reader, and much more to be able to post perfectly so no one ever misunderstands.

Thanks MntRse, well said. I guess I had a feeling that me and my questions weren't particularly welcome? But perhaps that was my mistaken perception. I can also see that for people who've been here a long time, and rely on the forum for support and structure, having newbies crashing about is likely a bit irritating. (Likely to be more of us, as IP is becoming wildly popular).

I am feeling much better, thanks for asking!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #104  
To be fit and FLY....

My daughter is home from college for the summer and she says.......I have NEVER seen so much produce and veg in our refrigerator!

My son in high school says ... No carbs for him this Su,,Eric so don't buy chips and junk he says....OK BUDDY
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #105  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
I can also see that for people who've been here a long time, and rely on the forum for support and structure, having newbies crashing about is likely a bit irritating. (Likely to be more of us, as IP is becoming wildly popular).
Oh dear. I'm sorry this was your experience Tomi. I do hope no one is left feeling unwelcome, especially a new person seeking clarification. The beginning is so overwhelming and I think it's important to reach out. And read, read, read. There is mounds of info here ..starting with the stickies.

I'm glad you've stuck around . IP takes tenacity. Looks like you have a good dose about you .
Closed Thread