Vitamin D deficient?

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: So it would be best to take my Vitamin D at the same time as I take an IP Multi-Vitamin?
    Yes. And keep in mind that A, D, and K vitamins are fat soluble. So, they are best absorbed when eating something fatty. Instead of a multi-vitamin, you can resort to liver. But I guess liver is not something most Americans eat.
  • Quote: Yes. And keep in mind that A, D, and K vitamins are fat soluble. So, they are best absorbed when eating something fatty. Instead of a multi-vitamin, you can resort to liver. But I guess liver is not something most Americans eat.
    Not this American, anyway.

Thanks, Lolo70, that is very helpful!
  • Breakofday, I knew even before I looked that you would be in Washington!!

I grew up in southeastern Virginia and lived in Los Angeles for 10 years before moving to Seattle in 2010. After moving here, I developed a vitamin D deficiency and didn't realize it until I broke my foot. I'd never broken a bone in my entire life, and I don't jog or play sports, but I managed 2 stress fractures in my left foot just from a lot of waitressing. This prompted my doc to check my vitamin D levels, and sure enough - it was only 17. She said low vitamin D is a very common problem for Seattleites. For the past year, I've been taking 2000 IUs of vitamin D a day (on top of any multivitamins or whatever), and by the time I started IP last month my level was up from 17 to 52. As long as I live in Seattle, I'll be taking my vitamin D every day!
  • I had to smile at your post undrwelmd, as yes I do live in Wasington, but I am from the desert side of the state with the sand, sage brush, and tumbleweeds, along with the 100+ degree summers. I did ask my dr the last time I saw her about it, and she said that because I was fair skinned, blond haired, blue eyed, I was prone to the deficiency. Oh we'll.
  • Quote: Breakofday, I knew even before I looked that you would be in Washington!!

I grew up in southeastern Virginia and lived in Los Angeles for 10 years before moving to Seattle in 2010. After moving here, I developed a vitamin D deficiency and didn't realize it until I broke my foot. I'd never broken a bone in my entire life, and I don't jog or play sports, but I managed 2 stress fractures in my left foot just from a lot of waitressing. This prompted my doc to check my vitamin D levels, and sure enough - it was only 17. She said low vitamin D is a very common problem for Seattleites. For the past year, I've been taking 2000 IUs of vitamin D a day (on top of any multivitamins or whatever), and by the time I started IP last month my level was up from 17 to 52. As long as I live in Seattle, I'll be taking my vitamin D every day!
    Yep, very common for those of us in the Seattle area.
  • Quote: Breakofday: I'm also in Washington State, over on the west side where sunlight is a rare commodity and I tested as severely deficient on Vit D. My doctor put me on 50,000 units once a week for 12 weeks and then recommended 2,000 units a day after that. She's going to keep checking it but said it's probably a long-term issue but one that is easily remedied.
    I am doing the exact same thing. Where we live in NY gets about as much sun as Seatle WA, some reports we get even less. I was severe (7) when I started a few years ago, I am up in the 30's, which isn't great, but much better. I take 50K/wk