IP Daily Chat Thursday 4/18/2013

You're on Page 2 of 7
Go to
  • Have a great day!
  • Quote: If you are weighing daily: changes aren't linear. The scale won't give you positive reinforcement every day. Some of us have learned to watch trends in a more "scientific mode".

If the scale is causing anxiety, STAY OFF THE SCALE between weigh ins! Put it away! The plan works. Stay on the plan and let it do its thing.
    Hi All, I don't post a lot, but read daily and sincerely share in all your victories and trials. Lisa is right (of course!), but I hope my comment will help those of you who can't seem to stop weighing daily and agonizing about the number. I'm a daily weigher and have made it work for me. My weigh in day is Wednesday, but I KNOW my lowest weight for the week is Friday or Saturday and seeing the lower number on one of those days keeps me plugging along when the scale is up a pound or sometimes 2 on Sunday or Monday (not due to any weekend "cheats" as I've been completely OP since I started). I've internalized the "weight loss is not linear" concept, but this article "Talking Back to the Scale" (posted originally by Maile in the maintainers thread where I also lurk... not because I'm even close, but because it's a very positive and self-affirming place).

http://www.alphabetsolution.com/?p=96

I think it completely explains scale issues. For me, the lines that stand out most are:

"Everyone’s body has it’s own rhythm. Some bodies operate on a regular circadian rhytm, while others are dependent upon meals and exercise."

I hope this helps... and if it doesn't then yes... STAY OFF THE SCALE!
  • Morning all, I went for a brisk walk yesterday and Did about 4 miles.. was feeling so energetic., but paying for it today.. so sore and tired! Guess I shouldn't have gone gung ho so fast.....
  • Rarebird: Thanks for the great article!

Quote: Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but I love making the flatbread with the IP Tomato soup packet. Many IP packet hacks use egg whites. Is there a reason you use the egg whites instead of the whole egg? Could you use the whole egg? I hate wasting the yolk and was curious if there was a reason.
    Thanks for anyone's help with this!
    This was a PERFECT place for such a question!
    I buy my egg whites in the cartons previously mentioned.

Quote: Was down with a migraine yesterday, but I am feeling so much better today, although still a bit headachy. I was up by 6 this morning. Showered, dressed, animals fed, drove son to work, picked up groceries and now I am just finishing breakfast. I will sit down in a minute with my morning coffee and go over my days schedule. Probably going to be a busy one.
    Ugh. I've had migraines my entire life (since childhood). I understand the lingering feeling the next day. Be well.
  • Quote: Good Morning! Congrats Spiritman - good story Peaches, I believe everything happens for a reason- did the tea leaves say you'll soon see changes in your body and health by any chance?
    Have a Great Day Everyone.
    oh, the tea leaves totally didn't need to tell me that - all the wonderful results of you ladies guarantee me that! :-)

yesterday someone mentioned 2 tilapia pieces were about 6 oz of protein. if i am going to use eggs to make up the difference in my daily protein, do i need 1 or 2 eggs?
  • Well, I was going to come on here and share that I am struggling a bit today for the first time since starting IP. Then I read the call for positivity, and I don't know where I am supposed to go with these thoughts and feelings. Isn't it okay and perhaps even helpful to share when we are struggling as well as when we are not? To be honest, it is just not my nature to always be positive even when that is not the way I feel. Sometimes it helps to "get it out." Am I alone in this? If not, am I missing a thread where this kind of expression is acceptable?
  • Quote: Morning all, I went for a brisk walk yesterday and Did about 4 miles.. was feeling so energetic., but paying for it today.. so sore and tired! Guess I shouldn't have gone gung ho so fast.....
    I know what you mean about the bursts of energy and acting upon them. During a session of closet cleaning last week, I kept going and going until it was nearly empty, reorganizing everything. Then I got the notion to paint my entire closet (since it was already mostly empty) . . . then I decided that, since I already had the primer out, I would paint the hutch in my kitchen. Now my house is torn apart, stuff is displaced everywhere, and I am tired! LOL (On the bright side, the closet should be finished today. The kitchen piece is still a process. Oy!) Hang in there!
  • Thank you!
    My NSV yesterday is that I stayed on plan even with my rough 3rd week. Thank you for all my IP friends you sent me encouragement and let me know that I was not alone out there. I have fun at the 31Bag Party and was also able to share my success with a gal that ironically enough will be taking the same CNA class this fall with me. Small town.
    I did step on my scale and I am up 0.2 lbs from Monday's weight in. I know the body weight can fluctuate, but I am trying to hold on that my next weight in will show another good loss. I have been struggling to get all four cups of veggies in each day and splitting them like I am supposed to. I know that having them all at once is not good, but I am not sure if it is better to skip them if I cannot get them in throughout the day. Any thoughts?
    I know that I need to come up with a better plan to prep my food for the whole week. I work full time, have a husband and 3 kids that I cook other food for, go to school part time, work with my quiliting guild in community projects, etc... Some people ask me if I ever sleep. I know there are very busy people out there who may be able to offer some tips and suggestions on how to improve my meal plan for the week. Thank you again! I am in total love with this site.
  • Quote: oh, the tea leaves totally didn't need to tell me that - all the wonderful results of you ladies guarantee me that! :-)

yesterday someone mentioned 2 tilapia pieces were about 6 oz of protein. if i am going to use eggs to make up the difference in my daily protein, do i need 1 or 2 eggs?
    1 whole egg is about equivalent to 2oz meat protein.

You can always just weigh out your tilapia before cooking it - meat should be weighed raw anyhow and 8oz is 8oz no matter how you slice it

Quote: Well, I was going to come on here and share that I am struggling a bit today for the first time since starting IP. Then I read the call for positivity, and I don't know where I am supposed to go with these thoughts and feelings. Isn't it okay and perhaps even helpful to share when we are struggling as well as when we are not? To be honest, it is just not my nature to always be positive even when that is not the way I feel. Sometimes it helps to "get it out." Am I alone in this? If not, am I missing a thread where this kind of expression is acceptable?
    I didn't read through yesterday's daily thread, so I'm not sure what was going around, but there's no reason not to share things you're struggling with here. I suppose (not knowing yesterday's posts) the best advice I can give is to post honestly, and remain receptive to the responses. You may not get what you were seeking, but you may get exactly what you need
  • All, Please forgive me if my question has been asked and answered before, but I can't find an answer anywhere on the forum. I started IP this morning, and my paperwork from the coach says red tuna is allowed 1 time a week. Does that mean ALL tuna is only allowed 1 time a week? I have some light tuna in water (in a pouch) that has no carbs and only 1 fat gram. I am wondering if this is allowed more than once a week. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
  • Quote: Well, I was going to come on here and share that I am struggling a bit today for the first time since starting IP. Then I read the call for positivity, and I don't know where I am supposed to go with these thoughts and feelings. Isn't it okay and perhaps even helpful to share when we are struggling as well as when we are not? To be honest, it is just not my nature to always be positive even when that is not the way I feel. Sometimes it helps to "get it out." Am I alone in this? If not, am I missing a thread where this kind of expression is acceptable?
    I think this thread is exactly where you should post how your feeling/doing for the day. It is the IP Daily Chat after all. I post if I am having a bad day or stuggling with something on here. I usually get encouragement, tips, hear a funny story, or something to help me through whatever I am dealing with.
    We cannot be expected to be positive everyday especially if that is not what your are feeling. Now that does not mean we get to pout and mope like my kids can do, but I think putting your feelings down in words here will help a person work through what they are feeling and hopefully find a friend who will reach out and lift them up. In turn when you are having a positive and great day you should also post it here to lift someone up and when you see someone is struggling pass the help that was given to you.
    I am wishing you a better day and sending hugs your way. Let me know if you would like to talk more about what your struggle is.
  • Good morning all.
    Thank you Lisa for the great first post. It is so helpful to have a reminder to focus on the bright side because it makes it soooo much easier to feel good about Phase 1 when I think about all the positives of being on Phase 1 vs. not.
    My list of things to be thankful for on Phase 1...
    1. I am moving in the right direction
    2. I gain confidence with each time I utter the word 'no'
    3. More energy during the day... and a better sleep at night
    4. Feeling in control of my eating, rather than feeling my eating is controlling me
    5. Learning new and healthier ways to eat... all those yummy veggie recipes!
  • Quote: I didn't read through yesterday's daily thread, so I'm not sure what was going around, but there's no reason not to share things you're struggling with here. I suppose (not knowing yesterday's posts) the best advice I can give is to post honestly, and remain receptive to the responses. You may not get what you were seeking, but you may get exactly what you need
    Well, I just have to say, I read through yesterday's thread, and it didn't strike me as negative at all. Perhaps there were a couple people lamenting the scale and I reported an unexpected gain (and that I know it couldn't have been fat, etc.), but I consider that natural discourse among dieters. There are ups and downs, good days and bad. I was surprised to read this this morning and found it inhibiting.

I was just going to share that I am a bit surprised to have thoughts of cheating and of dissatisfaction with what I am eating move in so quickly after one disappointing WI. I am loving how I am feeling on IP and can feel that it is much better for my body. I wouldn't go back to eating my old way for anything -- but, that said, I now see that there is still this little voice in my head that waited for a vulnerable time and has now set to work. I won't give in, but I have a whole new respect for those who stay with it and push through a prolonged (real) plateau.
  • I went to www.plainprotein.com to order a couple of boxes and the shipping was over $13.00. I don't remember paying that much in the past. Does anyone know whats going on?
  • Quote: I went to www.plainprotein.com to order a couple of boxes and the shipping was over $13.00. I don't remember paying that much in the past. Does anyone know whats going on?
    I know. And beware to anyone waiting until the last minute. I ordered on Saturday, had to pay $11 for their 2 - 3 day shipping and, according to my shipping notification yesterday, I will be lucky to receive these by Friday (that is 6 days by my count). They first put them in the mail yesterday. Not good.