Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #16  

2- it doesn't matter WHEN you eat, as long as you get your 3 packets, 4 cups veggies, 8 oz meat in a day. Period. Eat when you need to eat or when it's convenient to you. Eat what you want to eat WHENEVER you want to eat it. Sometimes I have my protein for breakfast if it's a hectic day ahead and I need my snack foods that are portable the rest of the day. It does NOT matter.

Thank you so much for writing that! Question though as I am new to this. The logic my coach told me for the 3.5 to 4 hour rule was some sort of bodily functions happening in that specific window - like some fat breaking down or something or another?

I did find it silly the day I did not follow this strict time schedule because of my crazy *** schedule and had two cups of broccoli mid-day. For the timing of my broccoli consumption alone, she said I was "not" on the diet. That seemed a bit odd to me.

One final thing, do you HAVE to eat within one hour of waking? Or, is that a fallacy too?

Last edited by peaches17; 04-14-2013 at 08:06 AM.
peaches17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #17  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

peaches17 - I rarely eat within 1 hour of waking. I'm just not hungry that soon after waking up, and typically eat about 1.5-2 hours after I wake.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #18  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

Great info everyone!!!!!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'3"

[QUOTE=peaches17;4705405]Ruti - how did you know when you went into ketosis? I started IP on Thursday and don't know how I'd gauge that?/QUOTE]

Hi Peaches,

I guess I knew because this isn't my first time around with low carb diets...I feel very particular way, like totally wired when I begin Ketosis. I used to hate it when I was younger, but honestly I've been so depressed and tired that its truly a welcome change!

you can buy keto sticks at the drug store to check, they are a urine test. Alot of people get really bad breath...

It takes people 3-5 days, but I generally take longer with everything

Last edited by Ruti; 04-14-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Ruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #20  

I googled "signs of Ketosis"

Found some good lists. Here is one:

The early signs are visible after 2 days burning ketones in the body. These are exhibited about 3 to 4 days after the process begins within the body. Some of the symptoms that many people exhibit include the following:

Bad breath that is a bit fruity, as if one has consumed alcohol
Dizziness
Thirsty feeling always
Headache
A metallic taste in the mouth
Nausea
Stomach ache
Sleep disorder
Weakness
Tiredness
Fatigue
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 176/152/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi Peaches!

First of all welcome! My coach also told me to eat every 3 - 4 hours...some days it happened...others it did not. I work with income taxes so there were days when I didn't get a lunch or dinner hour. My eating patterns were way off but I always got my three packets, water, oil and salt in every day. It did not make a difference in my weight loss. I lost 12 lbs my first weigh in. Secondly, I started out having one packet of the restricted from day 1. I am still fairly new to the diet but my experience has been that it hasn't really mattered about when you eat, it's what you eat. Wishing you all the best!
musicsmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #22  

[QUOTE=Ruti;4705861]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches17 View Post
Ruti - how did you know when you went into ketosis? I started IP on Thursday and don't know how I'd gauge that?/QUOTE]

Hi Peaches,

I guess I knew because this isn't my first time around with low carb diets...I feel very particular way, like totally wired when I begin Ketosis. I used to hate it when I was younger, but honestly I've been so depressed and tired that its truly a welcome change!

you can buy keto sticks at the drug store to check, they are a urine test. Alot of people get really bad breath...

It takes people 3-5 days, but I generally take longer with everything
Thank you Ruti...I'm outside of NYC and almost chose to start at one of the clinics there - the UN place. Do you like whichever one you picked? The only reason I didn't go into the city was because I didn't know what to do with my puppy that day so found a place to go in CT instead. I didn't get a whole lot of good info there so far and my coach is on vacation already so am hunting and pecking trying to garner info and recipes online.

I'm gonna go buy those ketosis sticks today. Awesome! :-)

Last edited by peaches17; 04-14-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsmylife View Post
Hi Peaches!

First of all welcome! My coach also told me to eat every 3 - 4 hours...some days it happened...others it did not. I work with income taxes so there were days when I didn't get a lunch or dinner hour. My eating patterns were way off but I always got my three packets, water, oil and salt in every day. It did not make a difference in my weight loss. I lost 12 lbs my first weigh in. Secondly, I started out having one packet of the restricted from day 1. I am still fairly new to the diet but my experience has been that it hasn't really mattered about when you eat, it's what you eat. Wishing you all the best!
Thank you so much. Did your coach also tell you that you MUST eat within one hour of waking?

I'm glad to hear the staggered eating had no effect on the weight loss (as others have also commented on in here). I don't know if you saw my earlier comment but my coach actually said NOT following that time frame would kick you off the diet altogether.

12 pounds is so awesome - you (and everyone else) are total inspirations! Yeah! :-)

And, you know what else is awesome - your numbers almost specifically mirror mine!

Last edited by peaches17; 04-14-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #24  
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches17 View Post
4 times a day is understandable but mine gave me the hourly mandate - to eat every 3.5 to 4 hours throughout the day.

And, that if I stay up longer than 3.5 to 4 hours after I have had dinner, then I must have an IP packet before going to bed even if I am not hungry.

I simply have no idea if any of this is right as I am not seeing others talk about it?
My coach also mandates eating every 4 hours but never mentioned the eating of another packet at night if I'm up late. His reasons:
  • you're body may start using muscle if it needs energy and you don't have it available (via the food)
  • keeps the metabolism engine running

I don't know if the 1st bullet point is true. I haven't seen others post that their coaches require eating this way. I try to stick to the rule but I also don't sweat it if I don't. It actually works with my work schedule for the most part, so it's mainly difficult on the weekends when I'm running around.

ETA: Coach also said to eat within 1 hour of waking up, but this is not do-able at all for me. He hasn't pointed it out (that I'm not following that rule) since I started, so it must not be a deal-breaker.

Last edited by rubygirl05; 04-14-2013 at 10:54 AM.
rubygirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl05 View Post
My coach also mandates eating every 4 hours but never mentioned the eating of another packet at night if I'm up late. His reasons:
  • you're body may start using muscle if it needs energy and you don't have it available (via the food)

I don't know if the 1st bullet point is true. I haven't seen others post that their coaches require eating this way. I try to stick to the rule but I also don't sweat it if I don't. It actually works with my work schedule for the most part, so it's mainly difficult on the weekends when I'm running around.
Exactly what I was told on Point #1!!! And then if you ate after the four hour mark, something similar but not quite exact to that process happens.

I wonder if that stuff is true or not?

As for the late night packet yesterday, I totally didn't want it. I was full and forced myself to have it per the suggestion of the coach. I think her reasoning has to do with keeping the metabolism going. But really it made mine feel sluggish to have so much. Ick.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #26  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl05 View Post

I don't know if the 1st bullet point is true. I haven't seen others post that their coaches require eating this way.
Your body will start using fat for energy. That is the point of this type of diet, to keep muscle mass and lose fat.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 176/152/140

Height: 5'4"

Peaches:

My coach did not tell me to eat within one hour of waking. I am like others that I do not have a big appetite when I wake. Right now with the hours I keep, it is all about convenience with me. I usually grab a chocolate premix shake and have that on my way to work in the morning.

I have been reading a lot of posts on here and it sounds like some of the coaches are really strict, others not so much. I think it is important to realize that this is your weight loss journey. Your coach should be there to support you and help you through it. Everyone is different and you need to find what works for you with your specific lifestyle.
musicsmylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'3"

[QUOTE=peaches17;4705894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruti View Post

Thank you Ruti...I'm outside of NYC and almost chose to start at one of the clinics there - the UN place. Do you like whichever one you picked? The only reason I didn't go into the city was because I didn't know what to do with my puppy that day so found a place to go in CT instead. I didn't get a whole lot of good info there so far and my coach is on vacation already so am hunting and pecking trying to garner info and recipes online.

I'm gonna go buy those ketosis sticks today. Awesome! :-)
Hey,

I actually really don't recommend my coach, I go to Esprit Wellness in midtotwn. A lot of the coaches around here sort of give you the information packet, weigh and measure you, and sell you the food. They don't really "coach" you as such.

My aunt's coach is great and very into this, IP is her job. She gives you the videos etc. Her name is Dr. Gail Lauro. She practices on the UWS, but I think she also does it in CT, because my aunt said that she's only in the city on Wednesdays but sees patients in CT. You might call and check it out. She's the real deal...

Scoliosis System of Chiropractic LLP
1085Park Ave Ste 1E
New York (NY)

Contact info

Dr. Gail Lauro
1-914-764-8355, Cell 914-589-0363

in the meantime, I was so starved for info that I found everything I needed on here. I really recommend checking out the videos. I'll see if I can find the thread. they explain ALOT.
Ruti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #29  

Thank you Ruti! She might have a place in Westchester as I saw something with a similar name on the results inquiry.

Agree about totally being starved for information ( better than for food - lol! ). I like the Boards and also found several websites dedicated to IP with recipes, etc. I also like the stuff I am finding on Pinterest.

I bought the ketosis sticks yesterday per your suggestion. You know, it would have been nice to be told about them by my coach so I could gauge when I actually enter ketosis. I can't tell yet as the colors vacillate back and forth.

I appreciate your support. Something you may not know and I don't know if this is true everywhere in the city, but supposedly NY has a state law where only the boxes can be sold. In CT, you can buy the individual packets.

UPDATE: Ruti, talked to her & she rocks. The other location is in Pound Ridge. She'll discount normal start-up rate if you want to switch over to her.

Last edited by peaches17; 04-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.