Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #1  

Default alternative products

people order from nashuanutrition.com. i can use these in place of IP products??

not sure how it works. i have 5 pounds to loose then i'm starting to phase off but healthy snacks will be good to have around as well.

can someone help me out please
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Check out the alternatives threads. This is one of them.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...s-vol-1-a.html
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/269/145

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnie View Post
people order from nashuanutrition.com. i can use these in place of IP products??

not sure how it works. i have 5 pounds to loose then i'm starting to phase off but healthy snacks will be good to have around as well.

can someone help me out please
Check out the ongoing alternatives thread. There is lots of infor there
charliebear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #4  

i find it easier to ask then scroll threw 500 messages.
marnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
That may be so, but many of us have spent a LOT of time reviewing products and sharing what we know in that thread. It is worth spending time there if you really want a good handle on how to find the right alternative products for you.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/269/145

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Well I like the Teras Whey shakes. I use plain because I don't like or can't have all artificial sweetners. But they do have several flavors that are sweetened with stevia. It is a smooth shake, not chalky.

You can buy these at Whole Foods or Amazon

Scroll though this last week's alternative threads. There was a lot of good info and it's def not that many messages
charliebear99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #7  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Also by going through the threads devoted to alternatives, you will also learn how to determine if a product is acceptable as a replacement. This is something that you will really need to know to still obtain the same results as you have been getting.

I would suggest reading a little at a time and possibly take notes.
MntRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 251/188/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
Also by going through the threads devoted to alternatives, you will also learn how to determine if a product is acceptable as a replacement. This is something that you will really need to know to still obtain the same results as you have been getting.

I would suggest reading a little at a time and possibly take notes.
This is great advice. I did this a few weeks ago when I decided to try alternatives. I learned so much. It was A LOT of reading and took me practically all day one day, but I sat there with my notebook and listed out all the likes from people, which company made it and where I could find it. I only added the stuff to the list I thought I may like. Now I have a go-to for myself of things I either want to order online or try to find at stores.
aliboo723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #9  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

I know it can be overwhelming, esp. when it's a really long Thread.
I usually start with the current page and work backwards.
There will be a ton of what people like and what people don't like. When I reviewed these Threads 3 months ago, I tried to make a list of what people loved and what people hated. Pay attention to the BRAND, because some of the companies have the same type of products.

If you are following P1: you are allowed 2 non-restricted and 1-restricted daily.

Restricted is anything with 9 grams of net carbs or more. To determine net carbs, take the total amount of carbs and subtract the dietary fiber. There is some debate about whether or not to also subtract sugar alcohols, but most IPer's don't - just the dietary fiber. This equals the net grams of carbs

Non-restricted 8 grams of net carbs or less.
Restricted 9 grams of net carbs or more.
**I think anything with 16-18 grams or net carbs is super-restrictive, only allowed twice per week and of course counts as your restricted for the day.

Regardless if something is restricted or non-restricted (regarding carbs) you also want the product to:
have 12-15 grams of protein
be 30% fat or less. To determine this take the amount of fat calories and multiply by 3. Whatever this equals should be less than the total calories of the product.

So, often something may be okay on the carbs, but not be acceptable to P1 because it's too high in fat (a lot of Adkins products) OR it doesn't have enough protein.

On Nashua's site, when you look at a product - you'll need to spend some time looking at the nutrition facts to determine whether it's acceptable to P1.
I then made a list of what is restricted vs. non-restricted.
In fact, when I received my order I wrote on the top of each box "R" or "NON", until I had them memorized.

Good Luck
~Jen

PS: my favorite is Prote-DIET Peanut Butter and Smooth Caramel Crisp (bar). It is actually non-restricted and I love it!

Last edited by JenRem; 04-08-2013 at 01:34 AM.
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #10  
IP start date: Feb 18/13

S/C/G: 247/212.7/180

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
I know it can be overwhelming, esp. when it's a really long Thread.
I usually start with the current page and work backwards.
There will be a ton of what people like and what people don't like. When I reviewed these Threads 3 months ago, I tried to make a list of what people loved and what people hated. Pay attention to the BRAND, because some of the companies have the same type of products.

If you are following P1: you are allowed 2 non-restriced and 1-restricted daily.

Restricted is anything with 9 grams of carbs or more. To determine, take the total amount of carbs and subtract the dietary fiber. There is some debate about whether or not to also subtract sugar alcohols, but most IPer's don't - just the dietary fiber. This equals the net grams of carbs

Non-restricted 8 grams of carbs or less.
Restricted 9 grams of carbs or more.
**I think anything with 16-18 grams or carbs is super-restrictive, only allowed twice per week and of course counts as your restricted for the day.

Regardless if something is restricted or non-restricted (regarding carbs) you also want the product to:
have 12-15 grams of protein
be 30% fat or less. To determine this take the amount of fat calories and multiply by 3. Whatever this equals should be less than the total calories of the product.

So, often something may be okay on the carbs, but not be acceptable to P1 because it's too high in fat (a lot of Adkins products) OR it doesn't have enough protein.
Thanks jen!!!! this is exactly the breakdown i've been looking for!!!!

Natalie
natsprat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #11  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsprat4 View Post
Thanks jen!!!! this is exactly the breakdown i've been looking for!!!!

Natalie
You are Welcome!
I know how frustrating it can be to maneuver around on this site!
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #12  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
In fact, when I received my order I wrote on the top of each box "R" or "NON", until I had them memorized.!
LOL!! That's what WE do too!!!
Quote:
PS: my favorite is Prote-DIET Peanut Butter and Smooth Caramel Crisp (bar). It is actually non-restricted and I love it!
Ditto!!! My FAVE!!!!!
disgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #13  
Healthy Living :)

S/C/G: 235/*see ticker*/155

Height: 5'5

Quote:

Question; I'm confused how it's unrestricted ~ it has 18g carbs. Can you please clarify.

Thanks so much
Ravenswood2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #14  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswood2012 View Post
Question; I'm confused how it's unrestricted ~ it has 18g carbs. Can you please clarify.

Thanks so much
It has 18g carbs but 10g dietary fiber. That means the bar has 8g NET carbs (dietary fiber is not absorbed by the body, it just passes through).

When checking products for carbs to determine unrestricted/restricted you should be looking at NET carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber).
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #15  
Healthy Living :)

S/C/G: 235/*see ticker*/155

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
It has 18g carbs but 10g dietary fiber. That means the bar has 8g NET carbs (dietary fiber is not absorbed by the body, it just passes through).

When checking products for carbs to determine unrestricted/restricted you should be looking at NET carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber).
Thanks so much!!!! Awesome Info!!
Ravenswood2012 is offline   Reply With Quote