3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Maintainers Vol 11 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/279007-maintainers-vol-11-a.html)

bubbleblower 06-20-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joco (Post 4775663)
Thanks everyone. How many calories do you shoot for a day and not have to excersize?

I'm honestly not tracking anymore. I just eat sensibly and let myself have small splurges here or there. If I see my weight creeping up, I cut back the next day but have never gone back to P1. I give myself more flexibility on food choices when I'm exercising or if my weight drops, but still don't eat most of the "junk" I did pre-IP. I had my first bit of "real" chocolate yesterday and it was the fist time I was truly ravenous in the afternoon; think I'll go back to steering clear of sugar!

workingit50 06-20-2013 10:21 PM

Hi everyone,

I want to say hello and introduce myself on this board, I am in P3. Started IP 2/13/13 and to date lost 43 lbs. Tried to get below the 154 but just not happening right now so I am happy and content as I transition.

Now, I understand why people say that P1 is easier. I am struggling with my planning of breakfast and truthfully sick of eggs and meat proteins. I love my Quest bars.

Monday will be a week in P3 and coach said that is enough and I will go to P4. Have not read up on it much. Been super busy with my job, summer (kids out of school) social director, cooking, food shopping more. cleaning, ......honestly summer exhausts me and not because I have fun.

Cheekyskeeter 06-21-2013 08:27 AM

Hey everyone. I have posted much lately but still maintaining well. I don't use any more IP products ...think its time to clean out my IP cupboard as its still packed with stuff. I have a quest bar here and there but once I finish up the box I bought I won't buy any more. I haven't exercised a lot but plan to start running soon. I'm on holidays this week and had planned to start but then decided to tackle our yard. The previous owners let the half acre property just go and it was overgrown with weeds. Well I started yanking them out and it looks fabulous but I'm so beat. Lot of work but I must say the yard looks beautiful now. I've got one more yard of mulch coming today (already used 5 yards) and then I'm done so think I will hang out by our pool this afternoon. I have been riding my horse a lot but that's about it for exercise for me. I stopped tracking my food this week but only because I've been busy but think I will continue once I get back to work next week. My weight fluctuates between 146 and 148 (I still weigh myself every day). Honestly I'm pretty much eating whatever I want but much smaller portions then I used to eat and I make sure I have a big breakfast every day.....it is working for me. The only regret I have is I didn't find IP sooner!

Maile 06-21-2013 10:54 AM

Cheekyskeeter: I wish I had found IP sooner also. It is funny that the two people at work who introduced me to the program, both quit IP and regained all of their weight.
Workingit50: You can eat greek yogurt, berries, low carb cereal or bread, and nuts or peanut butter for breakfast..no eggs or meat needed. Welcome to maintenance.
Scorbette: Thanks for the info. I figured you would have the latest information as you work in the health field. Maybe it will be a good thing to offer treatments and support for obesity.
Bubbleblower: You seem to have a good eating plan for maintenance. By the way the ocean in Hawaii was on the cool side for swims!

Ishbel: Too exciting that your mom is coming. The big day is getting closer. Yes, I liked being able to cross my legs on the plane!

Joysh: I wonder if IP will be covered some day by insurance. My insurance pays for Weight Watchers!

No gain from my trip. Hooray. Back to basic eating again.

Determinedat47 06-21-2013 10:44 PM

Maile-
You are just lovely! So happy you have figured out maintenance. I continue to struggle and struggle.

Sansfilter 06-22-2013 09:22 AM

Good morning everyone!
I officially started P3 on Thursday, and I really like it. However, did anyone else struggle with the new-found "freedom" of reintroducing foods back into their diet? I'm not maintaining until July 4th, but I have found it difficult to stick to eating carbs only during breakfast. I know it's only a couple of weeks, but I'm concerned about how making little changes and allowances now might lead to reverting back to old habits in maintenance. In my head I know that those foods will always be there, but I catch myself thinking about the fresh baked bread that was good at breakfast and wanting more after dinner. I, like so many others, could live on carbs, and that is how I became insulin resistant and overweight (obese by my BMI). I've been logging my food and exercise into MFP (hooray, I can work out now), and I'm keeping my day well balanced. My coach said P3 would be 1800 calories, but I'm 5' tall, and that's just crazy talk. I'm keeping my day between 1000-1200 and tracking where I'm comfortable. I know that is low for maintaining, but I still want to lose another 2-3 pounds if possible. On the days I work out, that calorie allowance is adjusted based on the amount and type of exercise I do (Zumba is over 400 calories, so that's a 1400-1600 calorie day). Anyway, that's a lot of rambling. Sorry. I like my coach as a person, but she doesn't help much, so I rely a lot on all of you. Thanks.

joysh 06-22-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by workingit50 (Post 4776448)
Hi everyone, I want to say hello and introduce myself on this board, I am in P3. Started IP 2/13/13 and to date lost 43 lbs. Tried to get below the 154 but just not happening right now so I am happy and content as I transition...Now, I understand why people say that P1 is easier. I am struggling with my planning of breakfast and truthfully sick of eggs and meat proteins. I love my Quest bars...Monday will be a week in P3 and coach said that is enough and I will go to P4. Have not read up on it much. Been super busy with my job, summer (kids out of school) social director, cooking, food shopping more. cleaning, ......honestly summer exhausts me and not because I have fun.

Workingit50, Welcome to P3!! I think someone else already mentioned yogurt and fruit for breakfast. I usually have Greek yogurt, fruit, and granola. Sometimes I add an egg with a half oz of cheese on it. Sometimes I have less granola and eat the egg and cheese on a piece of folded-over bread. I have not yet tried the breakfast muffins (See Phase 3 breakfast thread) but I think that I might do that in the fall when I have to be at work early.

Sansfilter, Welcome to P3!! I'm 5'1' and 1800 cal seems like a lot. I'm with Ishbel and keep it to around 1400 when not exercising, 1600 when exercising. I use MFP to keep me in check. You might consider eating that second piece of bread at dinner as your dinner carb when you get to maintenance. I have found that there are still some foods I'm learning to control, so I don't always have them in the house - or I try to have limited amounts. Examples are those 100-cal packets of nuts, not a whole bag. I love my freshly ground almond butter and can only get it when I'm at a special store out of town. I buy just a little bit, so if it gets out of control it's gone sooner. Then I have a week or 2 without it and that's just fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbleblower (Post 4776071)
I I had my first bit of "real" chocolate yesterday and it was the first time I was truly ravenous in the afternoon; think I'll go back to steering clear of sugar!

I have a Nugu Slim (health food store) protein bar with Real Chocolate or a Zone protein bar in the late afternoon for my snack. I haven't yet had a regular chocolate yet, but these bars satisfy the chocolate craving and I really, really enjoy them.

Maile, how great that you maintained on your vacation!

Ishbel, the big day is coming soon! How exciting and wonderful!

I'm off on another trip today. This one is a short one, with a couple of camping days tacked on for Monday and Tuesday. Should be fun.

I've been increasing my swimming. Yesterday I did 3/8 mile. I know a half mile is coming soon! I increase just a little bit each time and it's getting easier to swim for longer periods. I love it, although it doesn't work for me to do it every day, especially when traveling. :swim:

I gained 1 pound during my last trip and then came home, had 2 days of P3, with one swimming day, and I'm back down to where I need to be. I really feel I can keep it up, and that's a wonderful feeling! Got rid of 2 more bags of fat clothes last weekend. My closet is now filled with clothes that fit my new body! :)

Have a great day, everyone!

workingit50 06-22-2013 10:47 AM

Good morning and thanks for the breakfast suggestions of yogurt, fruit and such. That is much more to my style and enjoyment at this point. I am sticking to the L and D protocol and adding Quest bars to my day as needed. I have been sneaking some nuts but once I start, OMG....I want more. I asked coach, she thought I was craving carbs.

Wishing everyone a GREAT Saturday!

Sansfilter 06-22-2013 01:14 PM

Joysh- thanks so much!

evepet 06-22-2013 04:50 PM

Hi everyone! I just posted this in the '50+ thread' but I'm putting it here as well. I've fallen slightly off the IP-style healthy eating wagon ... weight is up by about 7lbs total (5 above my 'maintenance ceiling') and my eating has gone a bit out of control. In particular, I've allowed myself to fall victim to ice cream cravings... and it has to stop! It's time to go back to P1 and reinforce my good intentions again. I was doing fine until I got sick a few weeks ago and started eating convenience foods (rather than cooking from scratch) because I was feeling sick and sorry for myself - not a good idea. The scale has jumped up about 4 lbs since then - I predict that a significant amount of it is water retention... but even so, it's still showing on the scale, and I need to reign myself in before it gets worse.

SO... I'm back to P1-P2 style eating for at least 1 week or probably longer... as long as it takes to get back down to 150 lbs again ( or slightly below again) . I'll pop in consistently now and get back to regular posting in order to support my good intentions.

Maile 06-23-2013 11:29 AM

Evepet: I am sorry you were sick. It really is hard to handle the work of healthy eating when you don't feel well. I am glad you are feeling better and are ready to go on P1/2. We have all worked on up pounds..Fortunately, P1/2 works and gives us a tool to use. Hang in there.

Sansfilter: I was very cautious about adding more carbs so I did not go wild with the new freedom. I really need to stay away from trigger foods, so I did not return to my old eating habits. Hope you do well with experimenting on what works for you.

Determined: You are so sweet and supportive. I Hope you are finding a maintenance life that is easier for you. It definitely is a daily effort to stay focused and on track. Hugs.

Joysh: Have fun on your next camping trip. That is great that you are back at goal weight after your last trip. I still have some clothes in the basement that are too big. I may have to get rid of them this summer.

I am enjoying a cool summer day and off to do strength training at the gym.

The National Weight Control Registry offered to have Better Homes and Garden Magazine interview me. I am not interested in having an article. Posting here is enough support.

evepet 06-24-2013 09:10 AM

Maille - thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. That offer to have Better Homes and Garden Maggazine interview you is interesting. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. :) I agree 100% though, that this forum is a great support - I thank my lucky stars that I stumbled across it when I first started the IP protocol. The support of everyone here has kept me going many times, and continues now in maintenance.

Today is Day 3 of my reboot, and things are going pretty well. My mind seems to be in the right place to tackle this, and I'm sticking with it... today's weigh-in showed me -3 lbs... no doubt water weight... but it's moving in the right direction again. And those bad impulses have been curbed.

Last night I still wanted something 'ice-creamy' but made my protein powder/almond milk version of ice cream in my Cuisinart ice cream maker instead of succumbing to the store bought high fat/sugar/carbs variety. Tasty, and soooo much healthier. I made it my before bed snack.

With the humidex today, it's going to feel like 100 degrees Fahrenheit - phew! Really hot and steamy - and this is to last until the end of the week. One good thing... it makes me want to drink LOTS of water! And the heat and humidity also curbs any desire for heavier foods. Probably a good time to be on P1/P2 again. :)

Cheers everyone. Have a great day.

canic 06-24-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evepet (Post 4778398)
Last night I still wanted something 'ice-creamy' but made my protein powder/almond milk version of ice cream in my Cuisinart ice cream maker instead of succumbing to the store bought high fat/sugar/carbs variety. Tasty, and soooo much healthier. I made it my before bed snack.

That sounds yummy, can you post the recipe?

I'm back from my vacation overseas. I went on maintenance just before I left, which wasn't great timing as I hadn't worked out how to introduce carbs. It was also my mother's cooking! I did my best, restricted portions and made good choices when I could. It did show me that it's easy to slip back into bad eating habits. I still need to be conscious of my eating until it becomes a habit.

I'm 6 lbs up, and some of that could be the bit you put on when have carbs again. I'm going away again in a few weeks, so I'm eating phase 3 and exercising. I'll go back to Phase 1 after that vacation if I need to do so (should be easier vacation for eating). I don't want to yo-yo too much between the phases and I'll be able to ease into maintenance if do Phase 1 after vacation as nothing on the calendar to interfere with it.

evepet 06-24-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canic (Post 4778885)
That sounds yummy, can you post the recipe?

I'm back from my vacation overseas. I went on maintenance just before I left, which wasn't great timing as I hadn't worked out how to introduce carbs. It was also my mother's cooking! I did my best, restricted portions and made good choices when I could. It did show me that it's easy to slip back into bad eating habits. I still need to be conscious of my eating until it becomes a habit.

I'm 6 lbs up, and some of that could be the bit you put on when have carbs again. I'm going away again in a few weeks, so I'm eating phase 3 and exercising. I'll go back to Phase 1 after that vacation if I need to do so (should be easier vacation for eating). I don't want to yo-yo too much between the phases and I'll be able to ease into maintenance if do Phase 1 after vacation as nothing on the calendar to interfere with it.

It isn't strictly speaking OP for the dieting phases of IP, but certainly a healthy alternative to store bought ice cream while on maintenance.

I take 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk + 1/4 cup of light coconut milk + a serving of one of my protein powders + about 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum per cup of liquid. Put it all together in blender and blend well. Then pour into the ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. My Cuisinart produces a soft-service consistency ice cream in about 15 minutes. I've been using ChocoRite protein powders - the Cappucino, Chocolate Deluxe, and French Vanilla flavors all have a strong enough flavor to make a tasty ice cream. I sometimes also add a dash of vanilla extract (or occasionally a sugar-free coffee liqueur flavored extract) for extra flavor. There's a bit of fat in the light coconut milk, but I count it towards my daily allowed fat intake while following P1.

bubbleblower 06-25-2013 04:40 AM

Maile: Yeah, it's still probably a little early for the ocean to be warming in HI. We would usually go in July but I still needed a 5mm wetsuit for diving. It's so pretty there, though, that we didn't mind! Great that you didn't gain on the trip!!

Ishbel: You've got to be getting really excited!! It's getting close!

Sansfilter: I'm still trying to fine tune my diet, and I've decided it's always going to be a process. My weight will fluctuate from 130 to 134, and the key is keeping an eye on it and immediately making adjustments if I find I'm overdoing it in either direction. I, too, am very leery of adding carbs back in, and so far this seems to be working so I'm not anxious to get too adventurous!

Joysh: The swimming sounds like fun. I keep telling myself I need to get in the pool but it seems to always start storming in the afternoons here lately. Great job on maintaining and the new wardrobe! I need to clean out my own closet and get rid of the final fat clothes.

evepet: Great job with the reboot! I think the key is catching it before things get so out of hand that it's a major effort to get back on track. You've obviously got that down! The ice cream sounds great!

On this end, life continues to be entertaining. I'm still up north for work for now, but will head down to see DH and my new house over the 4th. He's been sending me pics on a daily basis so I can see the progress. It's getting close! We'll close at the end of the month, and then move in during late August, once the house is completely ready. (We have some contractors doing additional work first.) I'm still looking for a job so I can avoid the long distance commute, but there's more and more talk that they'll be offering early retirement at work. Fingers crossed!