3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Maintainers Vol 11 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/279007-maintainers-vol-11-a.html)

DRegan 05-17-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joysh (Post 4744015)
Hi All!

Just checking in to say hi! I'm a couple of weeks into maintenance and I'm doing fine. Holding my own. I finally had the " adjustment weight gain" of 2 pounds, then lost one of those 2 pounds the second week of maintenance. I had continued to lose in p2 and p3, so I was well under my goal and still am.

I'm in Houston watching the twins, so that's wonderful fun.

Today I bought two dresses. I needed a dress to wear at a wedding on Sat. I knew what I wanted and got it: a bright-colored, big painted flowers (dark pink, bright orange, green leaves open a white background), hourglass-shaped, fitted sleeveless dress. It's a little short, but will be fine. The craziest, weirdest part is the size. Never in my life did I think I'd wear ths size: 4 petite!! I'm still reeling from it!

This afternoon I had lunch at a friend's house who started IP last week. I showed her how to make cauliflower rice and she made a salad with salmon and a
shrimp dish. It was fun to share these things with her!

I know this has been a "me post," but I just wanted to check in and share. The view is certainly different from here, from maintenance. I know it's an ongoing journey, but I'm having a blast right now.

Ishbel, I love the sandals!

Hi to All!

Thats so great you are doing so well! Nice to share your recipes with your friend I'm sure! :hug:

I too am a couple weeks into maintence and lost a few more in phase 3.
My son is home from college he is like "you're so little", LOL! love that!

But he's also like "theres no food in the pantry!, which I call the "Carb Closet" now, so I had to buy some things that I havent had in the house since Feb.
I just stay clear of the "Carb closet", go for the fridge for veggies or fruit bowl if I really want something! My fitnessPal app keeps me accountable for everything I eat and this forum is such a great support! Thanks everyone!

I agree is it is crazy to wear size 4, I'm mostly there too. I keep thinking
"are they making the clothes bigger these days?", LOL!!:dizzy:

Enjoy the twins!:hug:

Have a great day everyone!! Finally gonna get some flowers planted this weekend, cant wait!:)

D:)

Ishbel 05-17-2013 10:30 AM

EPAPRN I don't have much advice for you, I just chomp on fresh veggies. I think scorbette started a maintenance recipe thread. I actually have deleted most of the carbs from even my supper. If I want popcorn I have it (ie last night) so there was no carbs at supper and there will be none tonight.

mom2c I lost .3 of an inch off my ankles with 141 lb loss (or if you go from my known highest 150 lbs. My sisters are the same build as me (two of us have told people we were twins and they've believed us). We always looked at magazines and 'sniffed' "well, we have skinny ankles at least!" and then had a 'minaical laugh'. I'm sure SURE you're feet aren't what you think they are.

Et al I'm very torn by the shoes but it will be one of those pairs. Perhaps one of them will be what I wear for my rehearsal. I'm leaning heavily towards the pink ones because I want some pink (blush/pale pink is my colour). My bridesmaids are in soft pink and my flowergirl has a cute little girl party dress that's full of flowers. She's so cute and my neice (first girl in the family after me lol) and 7 1/2, she's old enough to be a junior bridesmaid but she loves that's she's going to be a 'flowergirl' so that's what we'll say she is :)

I'm old enough to have MANY kids come to my wedding and I think that's where I have the most fun (all around ages 6-10). They are SO excited and it makes me smile to hear how excited some of them are...even some of the boys are getting excited lol.

I am hesitating showing you guys my dress only because I have friends (and people I just 'know') that lurk on these boards and I don't want my 'dress' to get out before the wedding LOL It's a strapless, full oyster/alabaster satin with asymmetrical bodice and a corseted back. That gives enough maybe?

The white ones were what I bought first (I like them a lot - they sparkle), I wish they were pink and then they'd be my #1. I was originally looking for flats and the whole mutted flower pallet...if the flats felt better on my feet (the toe that had the staph infection is still bothering me - apparently it takes months for those to heal after they are 'not a wound' anymore) they would be higher on the list.

Who knew looking for wedding shoes would be more difficult for me then a wedding dress...like who's going to see my SHOES! lol

thanks for all the beef ideas!!! ...looking forward to my steak tonight!

LizRR 05-17-2013 07:56 PM

Howdy Everyone...yes, I've been on a looooong hiatus. Everything is still going strong here in Texas - I am 24 weeks along now and boy is this baby girl growing! It's been REALLY busy here, my son (2y9m old) was diagnosed with Autism a while back so I have been not only trying to stay up on pregnancy stuff but been doing a lot of research as well as evaluations and therapies for my little guy. He is doing WONDERFULLY since we switched him to a gluten-free/casein-free diet 2 weeks ago...30+ new words and counting, this is HUGE since he was completely nonverbal before. Just wanted to do a quick update - I'm still healthy, not a lot of time to spend on the boards though. Things should get a little more smooth once September rolls around (although that's when I'm due!), since my son will have a streamlined plan when his preschool program starts.

I'll try to do a quick run through the thread while my son is napping, I stayed home with him today as he was sick last night/this morning.

Maile 05-18-2013 09:19 AM

Lizr: That is wonderful that the gluten free diet is helping your son! I think that Wheat Belly diet mentions something about that. There has been so much development in therapy for autism. I hope you get some good help and information. I am happy that you and baby are doing well!

Ishbel: You dress sounds beautiful. We are waiting to see the wedding pictures after the big event.

Epaprn: I don't have any great snack ideas. I stick to nuts.

Dregan: I have two sons returning home for the summer and will be doing the same..adding foods I normally do not keep around here.

Joysh: What a fun dress for the wedding. I remember last summer my sister told me to try on petite clothes. I was surprised they fit.

I am off for a long drive and then helping my son move out of his apartment.

Lizzy63 05-18-2013 09:41 AM

Ishbel - Here's a thought - one pair for the rehearsal, one for the ceremony, and one for dancing at the reception - that way you can wear all of them! And a girl can never have too many shoes, right?

EPAPRN - I am a big snacker... bowl of yogurt with fruit, apple (love Granny Smiths), protein bar, celery with hummus... Afternoons for me, it's usually an apple.

LizRR - glad to hear you and the baby are doing well. Fantastic news about your son - that's really amazing that he has shown so much improvement so quickly!

EPAPRN 05-18-2013 12:17 PM

Thanks for the input. My coach told me not to snack on fruit due to the carbs...also she told me hummus should be saved for a fun day since it is technically a fat/carb combo with the beans and oil. Plain popcorn should be saved for a fun day as well. I remember Scorbett said she does weight watchers style snacks - what does that mean? Right now I am doing almonds, string cheese or an IP packet or bar.

sunnymae 05-18-2013 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=EPAPRN;4744127]What do you guys eat for snacks? I need some ideas for that witching hour before dinner is ready. I usually have a string cheese or some almonds, but if I am having a carby dinner, I don't want to have those snacks so close to dinner since they are considered fats. I wish there was a 'maintenance meal thread'. I email my journal to my coach weekly and she says I am doing fine, but I have gained about 8 lbs back since going into maintenance and my clothes are a little bit tighter than they were when I

Well...there is that 3-5lbs glycogen restoration weight that comes back on after you phase out of ketosis. I'm sure your coach told you about that. Some of us reboot to go below our original loss to include the weight you are guaranteed to put back on, and some of us have just gotten comfortable at the weight we kind of settle into and can realistically maintain. It's really a personal decision and sometimes exercise for toning really does the trick even at the weight you ultimately settle into.

But...back to snacks :0) In addition to the usual carrot/celery/jicama sticks with some hummus and/or a few olives. I still order the protein chips from nashua. Here's an example: http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store...gar-1-bag.html
I'll have half a bag for crunch and saltiness along with cut veggies. That has saved my butt on numerous occasions. Hope that helps a bit. Have a great weekend.

scorbett1103 05-18-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPAPRN (Post 4745422)
I remember Scorbett said she does weight watchers style snacks - what does that mean? Right now I am doing almonds, string cheese or an IP packet or bar.

It means that I don't entirely follow the fat/carb separation rule, particularly with snacks. I aim for healthy combinations of snacks that are under 200 calories - sometimes that is fruit with either ricotta, cottage cheese or yogurt; mini wheat bagels with a little laughing cow cheese; popcorn; carrots and almond butter; apples or grapes and cheese. It's not going to work for everyone, but it seems to work ok for me.

I do try to stay in the fat/carb separation mindset for my bigger meals, not that I eliminate carbs completely from my fat meal (I will often use low carb flax pitas or wraps) or that I eliminate fats from dinner, I just try to build meals that lean more to one side or the other while still being within my calorie requirements.

bubbleblower 05-18-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2cs (Post 4743250)
Cheeky skeeter
We must be about the same size. I also am usually a 6, occasionally a 4.
I have tried in the past to really get to a size 4, but generally I find I am too tall for the clothes!

I went to Macy's yesterday and tried on lots of different jeans. At the beginning it was hard to not take size 8s into the dressing room with me just in case the 4s and the Gap were flukes. ;) I found that Calvin Klein makes jeans in different lengths so I was able to get size 4 in a 32 inch length. Otherwise I often run into the same issue with length.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPAPRN (Post 4744127)
What do you guys eat for snacks? I need some ideas for that witching hour before dinner is ready. I usually have a string cheese or some almonds, but if I am having a carby dinner, I don't want to have those snacks so close to dinner since they are considered fats. I wish there was a 'maintenance meal thread'. I email my journal to my coach weekly and she says I am doing fine, but I have gained about 8 lbs back since going into maintenance and my clothes are a little bit tighter than they were when I transitioned.

I snack primarily on veggies, almonds and protein bars. Ever since starting with the big breakfast in P3, I find I don't snack as much as I used to though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizRR (Post 4744895)
Howdy Everyone...yes, I've been on a looooong hiatus. Everything is still going strong here in Texas - I am 24 weeks along now and boy is this baby girl growing! It's been REALLY busy here, my son (2y9m old) was diagnosed with Autism a while back so I have been not only trying to stay up on pregnancy stuff but been doing a lot of research as well as evaluations and therapies for my little guy. He is doing WONDERFULLY since we switched him to a gluten-free/casein-free diet 2 weeks ago...30+ new words and counting, this is HUGE since he was completely nonverbal before. Just wanted to do a quick update - I'm still healthy, not a lot of time to spend on the boards though. Things should get a little more smooth once September rolls around (although that's when I'm due!), since my son will have a streamlined plan when his preschool program starts.

Good to hear all is going well, Liz. You've certainly got your hands full!

Well, it's been a lazy Saturday so far here ... Guess it's time to get moving and go food shopping. Hope you all have a great weekend.

evepet 05-18-2013 06:52 PM

Hi everyone. Just checking in to say 'Hi' to everyone here.

I've been a little concerned a couple of times this past couple of weeks, when my weight has crept up to 150.2 - 150.4 range. I've always been able to get it back down by a lb or two, just by eating a bit lower carb and watching the sodium intake for a day or two... but I find I have to be very mindful. Definitely have to weight myself regularly, and record what I'm eating/drinking regularly. I can see where if I left these habits behind, it would be easy to have the weight creep back up again.

I also find (and I think this has a lot to do with being in my early 60s) that now that I'm eating more fat and carbs again (and not necessarily together), I'm 'spongier' through the middle. It's not registering much on the scale, but definitely showing on the waist again. I don't know whether it's gluten-related... maybe sodium causing water retention... just carbs in general... or some combination of all of these things. Guess the only way I'll know for sure is to experiment and keep careful note. It makes me think that one of these days I may do week of low carb again, just to get rid of that sponginess again. I liked that 'sleek' thin feeling that I had in my final days on P1 - I miss it!

I made the mistake of bringing home a box of ginger slices today with my groceries. It's another item that having a few just makes me want to overindulge in them. Anybody have any tips or tricks for how to make yourself happy with one serving size of something like ginger slices, almonds, etc.... and keep the rest in the cupboard for future use without driving yourself nuts being tempted to go back for more? I hate the idea that I can't discipline myself better with foods like this. My *solution* has been to only buy items that have just 1 or 2 serving sizes in them, so that I avoid the issue. But there has to be a type of behavour modification for this, so that I get over this whole issue? It makes me feel weak to think that a box of ginger slices is getting the upper hand over my self control and common sense. These things are LOADEd with sugar. Of course, this is the first I've had of them in more than a year so I suppose I really shouldn't beat myself over it. And I don't think I'll buy them again anyway, since even 1 normal serving size has too much sugar. So today is pretty much an anomoly - and it IS my Fun Day - but still...... the scenario irritates me. Grrr. :)

Today was also balcony garden day... getting things all set up, soil amended, plants transplanted and seeds sown, etc. And I pretty much got everything done - now everything just has to settle in and grow. I'm so grateful that we finally have some beautiful, sunny, warm weather. It's gorgeous today, and we're to enjoy this same beautiful weather the whole long Victoria Day weekend.

Ishbel - Re the shoes? I also prefer the middle, silvery sparkly ones. :) But then I'm not a 'pink' girl. All of them are very cute though. I liked Lizzy63's suggestion of wearing each pair for part of your wedding day festivities. :)

LizRR and Maille LizRR, sorry to hear about the autism, but it sounds like your son is already making significant progress. And I agree with Maille - I've got Wheat Belly (the book I mean - although if I eat wheat I literally do get a 'wheat belly' LOL)... and I'm sure that it refers to gluten-free diets being used on autistic children with good results. BTW - it seems like just yesterday that you shared with us that you were pregnant... I can hardly believe that you're due in September! The time is going to fly by.

Well - gotta run. But it was nice catching up with you all again... hope that everyone is having a great weekend. Cheers for now.

Maile 05-19-2013 09:26 AM

Evepet: One of my favorite quotes is: "I have come too far to be defeated by a cookie." How about dividing up the slices into 100 calorie or small portions? I do that with nuts to keep me from overindulging. I am in my 60s also and notice that I gain weight around the middle.
Glad you are having nice weather. I am happy to see my first roses blooming.
After eating Ethiopian food yesterday, I am really low carbing today.

evepet 05-19-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4745973)
Evepet: One of my favorite quotes is: "I have come too far to be defeated by a cookie." How about dividing up the slices into 100 calorie or small portions? I do that with nuts to keep me from overindulging. I am in my 60s also and notice that I gain weight around the middle.
Glad you are having nice weather. I am happy to see my first roses blooming.
After eating Ethiopian food yesterday, I am really low carbing today.

Thx Maile. Yes, I'll try that... I have found that recently the almonds aren't tempting me as much... my tirade was mostly to do with yesterday's snaffu re the ginger slices. But at least I didn't eat the whole container full!! And they're not tempting me this am...

I just finished a nice leisurely scrambled egg breakfast... 1 egg & 1/4 cup egg whites scrambled with onions and celery and served on a warmed tortilla, along with a sprinkle of low fat mozzarella shreds and couple of tsps of salsa. Plus some chopped cherry tomatoes. Delicious, and filling.

When I woke this am and was just lazing in bed knowing that it was Sunday and I didn't have to hurry, I found myself feeling much more relaxed and 'in control' about the whole maintenance thing. I was thinking that 'the worst' that would happen if I put on a couple of extra lbs is that I go low carb for a few days - I did it for 1 year - a week would be a snap. So I"m not even sure why I got so riled up yesterday afternoon about the ginger slices, especially as they were on my Fun Day. And my total calorie intake yesterday was still only around 2000k... hardly exorbitant for a Fun Day. I think it was the idea of the sugar level that was getting to me. But I guess I'm allowed a 'freak out' on occasion. :D

I admire your adventurous outlook on cooking and eating... I don't think I've ever had Ethiopian food - I'm not even sure what it consists of?

My breakfast was P3ish today, but I'm planning to low carb for lunch and dinner. And making sure I drink lots and lots of water - that was also lacking yesterday.

Enjoy those roses! It's so nice to look out on my balcony and see green, growing things again.

Lizzy63 05-19-2013 10:51 AM

Evepet - ITA about getting spongier around the middle. I am in my 50s and I definitely think it's age related... While I am still in my 3 lb. range, I am nearer to the top end and every additional ounce has settled around my middle!

If you find the cure, please let me know... :)

Momto2cs 05-19-2013 07:56 PM

Age sucks. Even at 41 I need to keep things pretty clean to avoid the belly bloat!

joysh 05-19-2013 11:43 PM

Hi All!! Hope the weekend was great! I drove home and attended a wedding over the weekend, then drove back here to Houston to continue babysitting for the twins until Wednesday.

I wore my teeny tiny dress to the wedding!

I still seem to be eating as if I was on P3, although I allow myself a bit of cheese or avocado for lunch and a little potato or sweet potato for dinner.

My snack is usually a protein bar, either a Zone chocolate bar or a Nugo Slim bar from the health food store. That little bit of chocolate satisfies me and continues to be a real treat for me. If I go with the health food store bar, then I'm also getting some protein. Here's my question: does this keep me in the "dieting" mindset? I still feel that it's all so new (maintenance) and that I'm finding my new way of eating.

At the wedding reception I ate a few of those little meatballs and mini sausages, along with the fruit, but I passed on the wedding cake. I knew I could have a small piece, but I just didn't want it. It didn't seem worth the calories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRegan (Post 4744290)
I too am a couple weeks into maintence and lost a few more in phase 3. My son is home from college he is like "you're so little", LOL! love that!...I agree is it is crazy to wear size 4, I'm mostly there too. I keep thinking "are they making the clothes bigger these days?", LOL!!:dizzy: :)

DRegan, Looks like we are the same height and weight right now! Yes, I've also thought that about the clothes!! LOL

LizRR, great to hear from you! Glad all is going well with the pregnancy and your son.