Scale Phobia

• Before i originally started on IP July 2012 i haven't weighed myself in 2 years.. and when i stepped on the sscale i was in shock (well not so much since my clothes were clearly small on me) that i had gained 30 lbs.. but that was a necessary step as being part of the program
    i havent weighed myself since i lost the 30 lbs originally.. i know i probably gained most of it back .. (i started fresh this sunday) im in it to win it.. but this time im reluctant to get weighed i am soooo scared
    even for physicals i usually ask my doctor to not reveal the number to me and just let me know if im at a healthy weight or not
    my clinic allows me to purcahse food at night and i never see my 'IP lady' that way i avoid getting weighed..

does anyone else have that.. i am actually terrified of it.. it ruins my day looking at it .. unless it's a happy number ...

i dont kno what to do
    i feel like its an important part of the program
  • A friend of mine who did IP and is now in maintenance had the same phobia. She asked her coach to tell her the amount of weight and inches lost each week, but to not tell her the actual starting, weekly, and end weights. Rather than choosing a goal weight, her goal was to get to a size/shape where she felt healthy and comfortable....and that she felt she could maintain.
  • If you don't allow yourself to be weighed, then you are being unfair to yourself and denying yourself the right to be proud of what you are accomplishing. It is only part of the change you will make, there are inches that you will feel and see too, however once you get to actually see the numbers dropping it is very motivating. Don't be scared of the scale, just smile as you watch the numbers change
  • Also, the scale is necessary in maintenance too - I still weigh once a week (sometimes every couple of days) just to make sure I know where things are at. It allows me to take control and do a P1 day or two when the scale goes up too much. That is how you keep things from getting out of control, by keeping tabs on your weight along the way.

The trick is that you need to find a way to NOT get emotionally connected to the number on the scale. Remember that YOU are the one in control - if the number gets too high for your taste, you know exactly what you can do to get it back where it needs to be.
  • I used to hate getting weighed at the Doctors office or revealing my weight to anyone and would only weigh myself once in a blue moon at home. Since starting IP I'm not afraid of the scale any more. I know it's not recommended but I weigh myself every day but if it's up I don't let it get to me as I know the scale fluctuates. Part of my reason for weighing myself every day is I don't want to get to where I was again. I don't want to step on the scale and think holy where did that come from. This is going to help me to maintain where I am now.
  • Quote: I used to hate getting weighed at the Doctors office or revealing my weight to anyone and would only weigh myself once in a blue moon at home. Since starting IP I'm not afraid of the scale any more. I know it's not recommended but I weigh myself every day but if it's up I don't let it get to me as I know the scale fluctuates. Part of my reason for weighing myself every day is I don't want to get to where I was again. I don't want to step on the scale and think holy where did that come from. This is going to help me to maintain where I am now.
    100% agree! I'm a daily weigh-in person. It goes up, it goes down, and I've learned to take those in stride. I also know that this diet is teaching me what I need to do to maintain when I hit my goal. My scale is now my buddy I look forward to jumping on every morning to see what's going on.