Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Wow thanks for putting all that effort in to show me your experience with this. Your right about the denial, I have been so looking forward to my phase off and fun time and not thinking about the program for awhile. I know not the healthy way to do things, but how I wanted to....

I am figuring out how to proceed from here on in. I feel like I am not going to focus on figuring out these symptoms once I am gone and only have till Friday to actually get somewhere with it. So am really hoping my body just gets used to it again and forget about it until I redo this Phase 3 later and know to watch what I am adding in.

If its the foods you over ate most that can be the culprit for allergies then flour and sugar are going to be it I bet. Possibly that corn syrup like you. Isn't it weird what we ate most of, was what your body doesn't like? How can that even be when I would eat it everyday and feel fine? And now have this pain? I do know that if it keeps up I will be staying away from things as it's really no fun. It could actually be a good thing down the road if I know my body can't handle it. I guess it's not letting your body get used to it that is the key. Which I just don't want to let go of right now! Stomping my feet!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #47  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylunk View Post
Isn't it weird what we ate most of, was what your body doesn't like?
It IS strange but I've read it over & over again from many sources...
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #48  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylunk View Post
Isn't it weird what we ate most of, was what your body doesn't like? How can that even be when I would eat it everyday and feel fine?

I will use a word that some will agree/disagree with:
Addiction
I have never had an addiction to alcohol or tobacco or drugs.... so, I can't speak to how much more addicting these products might be more than food, but I'm a firm believer that a part of why some of us overeat isn't entirely (or at all) because we lack willpower or because we are pathetic. It's because there is something in those foods we love that trigger off the happy neurotransmitters (norephinephrine and dopamine) in our brain. And our brain LIKES them and LIKES being happy.

So, NO, I don't find it "weird" that we mostly ate what our body doesn't like (even though it might have been suffering some or all of those symptoms I shared earlier). When we have an "addiction" (wherever you want to put that word on the spectrum) our body craves/wants that item regardless of how much it effects our life/our body. We are all shocked at the drug addict who loses their family, home, job and is living off the street, etc. But it shows how hard the addiction can be for some and what the person will "give up" in order to get their "fix" that the brain demands.
And I don't think you felt "fine" everyday - I think that way of feeling had just become your "norm" and you accepted it either because you didn't want to give up those foods or you didn't know how to change. (I'm speaking to myself here as well!)
***When we do "test" a food for sensitvity/trigger after becoming "clean/detoxed", the symptom seems more pronounced because it's not competing with all the other symptoms that we feel when we've been eating like crap and feeling like crap for so long. So, it stands out like a red flad and you are able to recognize it so much easier/quicker because your body is in a place where it's functioning really well.

Yes, it makes us feel crappy to eat foods that we have sensitivities to. But I think "crappy" encompasses many symptoms all wrapped up in one. And when you've been eating that way (before IP) for a long time, the body gets tired of dealing with the inflammation and other symptoms and kind of gives up or only does the best it can which isn't enough. When we do something like IP and we start to "feel better" and have more "energy", it would be really hard to fully describe all those symptoms that we had and no longer suffer from when we remove the sensitivities/triggers (food) from our lives. We just know we like it and are happy to continue with feeling better (esp. if we aren't having cravings) and losing weight to boot.
***Actually, people do notice it, but don't understand the whole picture and don't put the realization in this perspective.
How many posts have you seen where people say: "I sleep so much better"(no longer have insomnia), "I haven't had to take my Zantac or Prilosec"(no longer have heartburn), "I have more energy"(no longer are fatigued), etc.

DENIAL - a tough one. We all have experienced it. Sometimes we are in "denial" and don't realize it, sometimes we are in "denial" and do realize it. Regardless, if our person is not willing to change when confronted with denial, I think there will be a time/place down the road where we are in a better mental/emotional state to deal with it. And I also think the brain holds onto the pertinent information and brings in back to light when we are ready to challenge whatever we were denying.

Good Luck! We're all in this together, Jen

Last edited by JenRem; 03-25-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
[I will use a word that some will agree/disagree with:
Addiction
Agreed!
Who loses 100 lbs and gains almost all of it back?
An addict! (pointing to myself!)

This is one of the reasons I've been so scared about maintenance but I know there will probably be foods I can NEVER allow back in. Right now gluten and soy-free is working. If I choose to attempt to re-introduce gluten, it will be very carefully controlled and a conscious decision. Otherwise, it is just acting-out food behavior.
Soy won't work and from my reading, perhaps legumes totally. Will I probably get some accidental exposures at restaurants from time-to-time? Sure. But my reasons for not eating soy and not eating gluten are different.
This is also why I didn't get started on IP bars. I know how I can be with certain foods. Some things I'm better off not having the first bite (kinda like the first drink...)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #50  
Started IP 1/25/13

S/C/G: started IP @210/194/150

Height: 5"1'

Had my weigh in today, a day early and late in the afternoon (Compared to first thing in the morning before I eat anything.) So drum roll please? Down 1.7 pounds, go me!!!

As a side note I had asked that I not do their scan/ BCA readings anymore and was told it is mandatory and that I had to pay the fee. So I tried to explain how her reactions to the results and questions like: did I really cheat, eat too much or too little, really bother me since there has to be some margin of error with this machine. She was calm about it but everything she said came down to I can't be so sensitive because she is just doing her job and its a very hard job to do since dieters tend to lie or hide what they are consuming.

Thinking about this on my way home, I have decided to just quit, and by that I mean fire her. So now more than ever I know I will need all of you here on the forum, so I can still have an official Weigh in every week and to not just get complacent and start slacking off.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:07 PM   #51  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
Had my weigh in today, a day early and late in the afternoon (Compared to first thing in the morning before I eat anything.) So drum roll please? Down 1.7 pounds, go me!!!

Thinking about this on my way home, I have decided to just quit, and by that I mean fire her. So now more than ever I know I will need all of you here on the forum, so I can still have an official Weigh in every week and to not just get complacent and start slacking off.
Bravo to both!

I would recommend investing in a tape measure so you can keep up with inches lost as well. That'll show you that things are still moving in case the scale isn't.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntRose View Post
So drum roll please? Down 1.7 pounds, go me!!!

As a side note I had asked that I not do their scan/ BCA readings anymore and was told it is mandatory and that I had to pay the fee. So I tried to explain how her reactions to the results and questions like: did I really cheat, eat too much or too little, really bother me since there has to be some margin of error with this machine. She was calm about it but everything she said came down to I can't be so sensitive because she is just doing her job and its a very hard job to do since dieters tend to lie or hide what they are consuming.

First off, Congrats on 1.7 loss! WTG!
Secondly, nothing like being given the benefit of the doubt (re: she said came down to I can't be so sensitive because she is just doing her job and its a very hard job to do since dieters tend to lie or hide what they are consuming.")
Thirdly and most important... You will have all the love and support and encouragement of the 3FC IP Family! You can do it! There are many, many who have gone before you and proved over and over how it can be done with no "stinkin' coach" lol!
I went to my clinic for about 2 months because I wanted the accountability of official WI. I have been just fine going solo. Just be sure to come on here often and stay plugged in - that means participate as well as lurking.

BTW. I think if you have the time and energy to write a letter to this coach and "cc" it to the regional IP office - I think that would be great. Just make sure the letter is written without coming across spiteful.

Most people order their IP food product and supplements from:
www.plainprotein.com

And you can always consider doing alternative food items to IP through:
www.nashuanutrition.com
They tend to be about 1/2 the price and there is more selection, esp on non-restricted items. There are specific Threads on Alternatives if you want/need more info.

Jen

Jen

Last edited by JenRem; 03-25-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #53  
Started IP Alt. 01/02/13

S/C/G: 193.4/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Good for you MntRose! I would not put up with that type of attitude either. FWIW, I have been doing it alone (with the support of this site) from day one and have done pretty darn well so far so I am sure you will do just fine :-)

Last edited by Psycht; 03-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycht View Post
FWIW, I have been doing it alone (with the support of this site) from day one and have done pretty darn well so far so I am sure you will do just fine :-)
I agree that you've "done pretty darn well so far"..... 32 lbs lost! WTG! Jen
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #55  
Started IP March 2013

S/C/G: 176/163/140

Height: 5'5"

Second WI, almost 3 weeks into IP and I lost another 4 pounds and a HUGE 6 inches! Yahoo...all while getting a visit from TOM! So excited!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 0/9/40

Height: 5' 1.25"

JenRem....thank you so much for the interesting post regarding food sensitivities. You explained it all very good..and should give us all some things to think about. Food sensitivities can be in so many forms and I do think cravings are for sure one that is so prevalent. Also some foods, grains are now modified that we should keep that in mind and be watchful for signs and symptoms that our bodies are not liking it.

Have a great evening everyone.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
I will use a word that some will agree/disagree with:
Addiction
I have never had an addiction to alcohol or tobacco or drugs.... so, I can't speak to how much more addicting these products might be more than food, but I'm a firm believer that a part of why some of us overeat isn't entirely (or at all) because we lack willpower or because we are pathetic. It's because there is something in those foods we love that trigger off the happy neurotransmitters (norephinephrine and dopamine) in our brain. And our brain LIKES them and LIKES being happy.

So, NO, I don't find it "weird" that we mostly ate what our body doesn't like (even though it might have been suffering some or all of those symptoms I shared earlier). When we have an "addiction" (wherever you want to put that word on the spectrum) our body craves/wants that item regardless of how much it effects our life/our body. We are all shocked at the drug addict who loses their family, home, job and is living off the street, etc. But it shows how hard the addiction can be for some and what the person will "give up" in order to get their "fix" that the brain demands.
And I don't think you felt "fine" everyday - I think that way of feeling had just become your "norm" and you accepted it either because you didn't want to give up those foods or you didn't know how to change. (I'm speaking to myself here as well!)
***When we do "test" a food for sensitvity/trigger after becoming "clean/detoxed", the symptom seems more pronounced because it's not competing with all the other symptoms that we feel when we've been eating like crap and feeling like crap for so long. So, it stands out like a red flad and you are able to recognize it so much easier/quicker because your body is in a place where it's functioning really well.

Yes, it makes us feel crappy to eat foods that we have sensitivities to. But I think "crappy" encompasses many symptoms all wrapped up in one. And when you've been eating that way (before IP) for a long time, the body gets tired of dealing with the inflammation and other symptoms and kind of gives up or only does the best it can which isn't enough. When we do something like IP and we start to "feel better" and have more "energy", it would be really hard to fully describe all those symptoms that we had and no longer suffer from when we remove the sensitivities/triggers (food) from our lives. We just know we like it and are happy to continue with feeling better (esp. if we aren't having cravings) and losing weight to boot.
***Actually, people do notice it, but don't understand the whole picture and don't put the realization in this perspective.
How many posts have you seen where people say: "I sleep so much better"(no longer have insomnia), "I haven't had to take my Zantac or Prilosec"(no longer have heartburn), "I have more energy"(no longer are fatigued), etc.

DENIAL - a tough one. We all have experienced it. Sometimes we are in "denial" and don't realize it, sometimes we are in "denial" and do realize it. Regardless, if our person is not willing to change when confronted with denial, I think there will be a time/place down the road where we are in a better mental/emotional state to deal with it. And I also think the brain holds onto the pertinent information and brings in back to light when we are ready to challenge whatever we were denying.

Good Luck! We're all in this together, Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Agreed!
Who loses 100 lbs and gains almost all of it back?
An addict! (pointing to myself!)

This is one of the reasons I've been so scared about maintenance but I know there will probably be foods I can NEVER allow back in. Right now gluten and soy-free is working. If I choose to attempt to re-introduce gluten, it will be very carefully controlled and a conscious decision. Otherwise, it is just acting-out food behavior.
Soy won't work and from my reading, perhaps legumes totally. Will I probably get some accidental exposures at restaurants from time-to-time? Sure. But my reasons for not eating soy and not eating gluten are different.
This is also why I didn't get started on IP bars. I know how I can be with certain foods. Some things I'm better off not having the first bite (kinda like the first drink...)
Thank you ladies for your insight on this. Lot's to digest and think over that is for sure. Once the kids are not demanding supper I will try to respond better.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #58  
IP start March 8th 2013

S/C/G: 217/206/160

First of all, congrats on the WI...don't stop posting those, I need them to keep me encouraged!
As for the mean coaches, wow, some people just have no people skills. I would totally write a letter to head office.
Not sure what happened to the NSV thread? But I have one!!
Oh, the dreaded staff room...today, not one, but TWO desserts and both my favorites, know what this girl did?? I sat as far away from them and savored every bite of my lunch without batting an eye. That.has.never.happened.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 277/268/135 - started 3/20/13

Height: 5'4"

I'm on day six and I'll see my coach tomorrow, but I've been having trouble sleeping due to muscle aches. I haven't exercised this week so it can't be from that. I'm assuming I need more potassium and salt. Has anyone else had this? What did you do?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #60  
iKande

S/C/G: 226.6/220.2/150

Height: 5'2

On day 4 and I feel GREAT! The past 3 days have been very tough. I'm
so glad I'm on the other side. All the stories about throwing out clothes are such an inspiration. I can't wait to buy a cute sundress.
Closed Thread