Trying to find the courage to start all over again!

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I knew from day 1 that sticking to this plan 100% was not how I wanted to do it. I had a cheat day planned from the beginning, and when it was time to cheat, I did so in a very controlled way and didn't lose any ground when I did.

As I moved on, I also wanted to eat more real food. The packets just kind of weirded me out--although I was thankful to have used them during my detox from carbs!

After seeing JohnP's posts about Lyle McDonald's PSMF, I decided to give it a try. On a very basic level, it is phase 1-friendly real food at every meal except for two meals per week--when you can eat like a normal person. Then every couple of months or so, you take 2 weeks of break from the diet.

It is working really well for me so far. I don't know if I am still in ketosis but really don't care. I am losing weight, am not hungry, and have no problem resisting the foods I LOVE because I know I can have them in a few days. Also, I am not terribly worried about it if my weight loss slows somewhat. I was never terribly worried about how quickly I will reach a nonexistent finish line!

I still think IP is a great tool and can be followed 100% by people who choose to do so. I just think that it can be done in a more forgiving way for those of us who want to keep pizza in our lives. (So thanks JohnP!)

However, I feel like I shouldn't post here anymore now that I am not really OP, and I miss it. Lyle's message boards are informative but way less fun.
    Nice to hear an update from you. I am glad you are liking the path you have chosen. I might need to check out this Lyle's place when I am phased off as will need something to do when I am not on here everyday. First forum I have ever been on, but funny how it gets you. I barely go on facebook anymore. Will be back though. Have till Saturday on Phase 3. So hanging out until then and then we will see. I guess I can go to maintainers....Not really sure the rules. That's too bad about you posting, and I am sorry I don't know the "rules" around these things. John posts here though......
  • Second attempt
    Hey all - This is also my second attempt. I was OP last summer and fell off about 2-3 weeks in, as I did not stick to it and had cheats and was not seeing results.

I started up again at the end of Feb 2013. I've been on program for 5 weeks and have stuck to it pretty well 100%.... At my 4 week weigh in, I lost 19.3 pounds in the first month.

I will be sticking to this 100% for the next 3 months and phase off for summer, as I know it's not realistic for me during the summer months to be on program. I am doing this because I have struggled with weight my entire life. I'm so so so tired of it.

The first week was TERRIBLE but during that week I wrote myself a list of WHY i wanted to lose the weight and made small attainable goals. First 5 pounds, then the next, etc... as I often found myself getting discouraged of the long journey ahead. Every time I feel like cheating, I reread my list... it helps. I also have a weight loss jar and give myself 1$ for every pound lost. When I get to 50 lbs, I will buy myself something nice... new top?? I also have a calendar dedicated specifically to my IP weigh loss journey and every evening i get excited to cross off yet another day, completed...

If a family member is eating junk food, ex: chips (my biggest weakness) I found smelling the food helps get my "fix". This does not work for everyone!!! lol maybe I'm just a weirdo...

ONE DAY AT A TIME. SMALL GOALS. YOU'RE WORTH IT!!!!!!!!
  • Quote: JohnP can you explain how you went on phase one over 5 months with breaks? Did you enter into ketosis? I don't believe I can maintain IP as my lifestyle and am curious how you did this!

Thanks.
    I was following a program similar to the IP diet (Rapid Fat Loss). I stayed on it for a month, took a break, started again ... etc. One difference between the programs is that Rapid Fat Loss has breaks built in. So being off program is actually being on program.

While on program, I was definitely in ketosis. While off it I was practicing maintaining and in my case counting calories.
  • You have to find a reason to lose the weight. My thoughts on "why" probably sound a bit too oversimplified but since Jan 21st, 2013 the positives I've found from weight loss simply staggeringly outweigh the negatives!

Negatives: Once in a while I feel hungry

Positives: Clothes fit much better. Energy is way up. All those little "aches and pains" are gone. Getting lots of compliments. Self-confidence is way, way up. Happily take off shirt when getting some sun on vacation. I enjoy the "rituals" of IP (WI, myfitnesspal, 3FC). Like having my picture taken. Shop at Old Navy instead of the "big guy" stores. Can't wait for the golf and softball season to start. Enjoy being active. Like checking out my 3FC threads everyday.

...and I'm only half-way there.

IP rocks...251 feels way better than 285!!!
  • I am a daily reader of another blog (RunsForCookies) and she has a great post about motivation vs. determination which I often re-read (a bit of it is quoted below). Whether you choose IP or another plan, I think the key is to commit and carry it out, whether you feel like it or not.

Motivation is the incentive or drive to do something and is often temporary. Determination, on the other hand, is "the act of deciding definitely and firmly". It's a DECISION that has no if's, and's, or but's. You make the decision to just do it, and you DO IT, motivation be damned...

you're not making the decision to just "get it done"; you're making the decision to do whatever it takes to get it done. This doesn't mean that you're not going to have setbacks along the way; but you will realize that they are just setbacks. You can keep right on going, because you already made the decision to do whatever it takes and not give up.
  • I am a restarter. I fell off the wagon a few weeks ago I didnt go carb crazy just stopped being accountable & not eating those 4 cups of veggies. I felt like I couldn't choke down any more. Today is my restart. I just put my hubby on the plane this am for a work assignment for a few months & I have already cleared the house of any carb products. I also find that when I come back to these boards & start reading about everyone else's experiences it does help motivate me & by keeping the daily food log. Good luck on your restart.
  • Quote: I still think IP is a great tool and can be followed 100% by people who choose to do so. However, I feel like I shouldn't post here anymore now that I am not really OP, and I miss it. Lyle's message boards are informative but way less fun.
    I'm also, glad to read an update about your journey.
    I think you have every right to post here on this site. Except of course the IP 100% OP Thread. I think it would just be fair if you disclosed your different course for WL when it's pertinent. I hope you continue to check-in and share. I wish you the best, always! Jen

Quote: So, I am now down to only taking 40mg Diovan and the Crestor, and my A1C is down to 6.2, which is only pre-diabetic, not even a diabetic diagnosis any more.
    My cardiologist (it is his clinic that does my IP program) says that 20% of overweight people have no metabolic problems caused by weight.
    Amazing to see how much you've been able to decrease or stop taking medications. 6.2 A1C (esp. considering what you started from) is phenomenal! I'm so impressed and so very proud of you. Keep up the great job! No one can take these successes away from you. Hopefully, you'll be able to spend the money you're saving on medications on a future clothes shopping trip. WOW! Jen

Quote: I think it is hardest for me to get into the lettuce & chicken mindset again.
    Good luck to us...we CAN & WILL do this!
    You should really go on the Recipe Threads. It can be very easy to want to quit if you're tired and bored with the food. Plus, remember that ultimately you're trying to make life changes and part of that is learning to cook/make the foods we know are healthy for us in different ways to keep it fresh and yummy! Good Luck!

Quote: If a family member is eating junk food, ex: chips (my biggest weakness) I found smelling the food helps get my "fix". This does not work for everyone!!! lol maybe I'm just a weirdo...
    I do this too, sometimes lol! Maybe we're both just weird, IDK! But it works; I just take this huge inhale over the item and pretend I'm tasting it.

Quote: I am a daily reader of another blog (RunsForCookies) and she has a great post about motivation vs. determination which I often re-read (a bit of it is quoted below).
    Motivation is the incentive or drive to do something and is often temporary. Determination, on the other hand, is "the act of deciding definitely and firmly". It's a DECISION that has no if's, and's, or but's. You make the decision to just do it, and you DO IT, motivation be damned...
    you're not making the decision to just "get it done"; you're making the decision to do whatever it takes to get it done. This doesn't mean that you're not going to have setbacks along the way; but you will realize that they are just setbacks. You can keep right on going, because you already made the decision to do whatever it takes and not give up.
    I was soo thrilled to read this and learn that I have been using the word "determined" in this WL pursuit and it is the primary word that comes to mind. I am DETERMINED! Thanks so much for sharing! Jen
  • Aww, thanks y'all. I am still lurking and will update from time to time. I just really don't want to cause anyone to stray from the program if they need the structure. Although I am not doing it anymore, I still think IP is a good program.
  • Quote: I am a daily reader of another blog (RunsForCookies) and she has a great post about motivation vs. determination which I often re-read (a bit of it is quoted below). Whether you choose IP or another plan, I think the key is to commit and carry it out, whether you feel like it or not.

THIS THIS THISSSSSSSSSS. It's where I have been since I started this diet. It's not enough to WANT to do it, you have to COMMIT to doing it and then move forward purposefully. That mindset has kept me on plan since Jan. 10.
  • Me too!
    I am on my 2nd retry of IP too...I know what's in store, but I know in my heart I have to do it! This is really the only diet that worked for me in the past, so I went back! I hope joining this blog will help me stay motivated and determined to say on this until I get to my goal. Then, I will switch to a healthier lifestyle to keep it off.

I am now officially diagnosed with diabetes. I had gestational with all of my kids, so I knew it was coming. It depresses me that this is my life now, and will always be struggling with weight and sugars. Sigh...
  • Quote: Aww, thanks y'all. I am still lurking and will update from time to time. I just really don't want to cause anyone to stray from the program if they need the structure. Although I am not doing it anymore, I still think IP is a good program.
    Hey, are you still doing weekly WI's, even if they are unofficial? I see you have the date below your ticker when you started the different program. Will you also chart your WL numbers weekly on the new program? Might be interesting to compare!!! Thanks
  • Its a Mental thing, you have to wrap your head around it. As of tomorrow it will be 100 weeks on IP without cheating! My way of looking at things now is I NEED food to survive, Its not a WANT any longer. I used to WANT food cuz it taste good, now I NEED it to live. I know how all of the food taste that is what was causing me to WANT IT but now I have changed my focus to what I need instead of want. This has kept me focused with a success of losing 239lbs. If you want it bad enough you will not let anything, anyone, any smell get in your way. I did not WANT to be in a wheelchair so I NEEDED to make a lifestyle change and focus on what I NEEDED to do to stay out of it. That was changing my way of thinking and eating!....IP is a great tool to have and learn from for future use once you hit goal. It has taught me a lot about how I looked at food which doesn't control me any longer. I have control of MYSELF, even though I always did have control of what went into my mouth now it is different. I can talk myself out of the temptation because NOTHING taste as good as this FEELS!....take it one day at a time....no matter how long it takes, you will get there....NEVER GIVE UP!!
  • Quote: John does not follow the Ideal Protein diet, but he often pops in here to offer insight into weight loss based on his research and experiences.

IP is NOT a lifestyle. It is a temporary measure to lose weight quickly. Phase 1 of IP is designed so that MOST of the work of counting calories (and carbs, fats, etc) is done for you. Those who are most successful on IP use their time in Phase 1 to conquer some of their mental challenges - cravings, food addictions, weaknesses - and figure out how they want to eat for the rest of their life.

Reality check - once the weight is gone, you can't expect to go back to your old eating habits and keep the weight off. No matter WHAT diet plan you choose, you need to make real, lasting changes in your attitude towards food and your plan for eating in order to avoid gaining it all back.
    Excellent response, Scorbett. I recall reading your earlier posts about how phase 1 is the easy part, maintaining is difficult. I was struggling from about week 6-10 and then something clicked. I agree with what you wrote 100%. When you follow phase 1 exactly, then it is easy. There is nothing to think about (except added sweeteners and alternative products). This is a great time to figure out your trigger foods and your binge triggers and work through them before maintenance. No one wants to go back to their original weight (or worse, more), but it happens for the very reasons you mentioned.

To the original poster of the thread: whatever you decide to do, stick with it and use the time to work through your food issues. if you aren't ready to commit 100%, then wait until you are. The forum is an excellent place to come and gather strength and advice.
  • Wow! Allot I'd great advice. Wuv your post is awesome as always
  • [QUOTE=iwiggy58;4680375I love the weight loss but I hate not eating the foods I love. How do most of you successful IPers make up your mind that you love this diet more than you love food? I have enough packets of IP food to last me several weeks![/QUOTE]

Well the thing is, you have to weigh (yes weigh) your future in general. Would you rather keep eating the foods you love now, and get bigger then have more work to do later, or would you rather do what you need to do NOW before it has the chance to grow into more problems? The older you get the more susceptible you will be to health problems in regards to weight and worse.

In my opinion, it's not about STOPPING eating the foods you love, but learning ration control. You need to eat to be satisfied, not to to be full. Like your favorite food... No matter how much of it you eat, it will taste the same for most of it, then it's all gone. Wouldn't you have tasted the same flavor in 1 bite than 20 bites? Well break that 20 bites in half for starters... do 10 bites. Or maybe 1 bite now, another later, etc. and make it last each time. You know... just eat enough to get the sensation, chew slow, and bask in it's flavor. Don't just gobble it down or you'll feel like you didn't get much.

Also, drink nothing but ice cold water. Not water... ICE COLD water. Your body will work harder to warm it up which causes you to lose weight in itself by burning a few extra calories. Also, you want to stop looking at your scale. Look at your BODY... not the scale. Who cares about the weight, get to the size and shape you want, let that be your goal and it's much easier to stay focused because you won't be getting whiny about a few pounds which are going to fluctuate daily anyway.