Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
If this is accurate than at your goal weight would put you at around 10% body fat.
This is exactly what I was thinking. And the comments about weight are off-base. Muscle weighs more than fat so if you are trying to build muscle (and maintain that level of muscle) you might have a more difficult time maintaining a higher weight. It depends what your goals are. Measurements mean more than weight. And an accurate body fat measurement goes a long way also. The scale is one small piece of the puzzle.
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #47  

Ishbel

Last edited by lisa32989; 03-21-2013 at 10:11 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:19 AM   #48  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgal View Post
.....I always feel guilty commenting on maintenance since I gained back some of the weight after maintaining successfully for almost a year....BUT...I hope to give a little insight for new members.....
I phased out successfully "by the book" back in Fall of 2011. Like Ishbel I followed the protocol and separated carbs/fats as much as I could. I looked forward to my weekend "treat day", and always followed it with ONE DAY ON PHASE 1. I was doing so great!!! What happened? Not sure.....summer 2012....kids home, having fattening cocktails with friends in the aftn....the thought of my oldest going off to college in Sept......also having an Autistic child at home. WHO KNOWS!!! That's just life happening, and we ALL have "stuff" going on in our lives. I think I just got sloppy. As others have mentioned THIS IS A LIFE CHANGE. We can't go back to how we ate prior to IP (or prior to ANY diet for that matter). Just like brushing my teeth twice a day, I need to watch what I am putting into my mouth EVERY DAY. I'm sad that I gained some of the weight back, not to mention...umm....hello....when I was up 10 or even 20 why didn't I just get back on plan???? Guess 30 was the "number of disgust"! Grrr!! Oh well, I've since moved on and forward I shall go....
THIS time, now that I'm ALMOST at goal ( ok, so 14 lbs left to lose to me is almost goal lol), I pray that everything I have learned over the past couple of years will stay embedded in my memory for a lifetime!!!
This is an amazing plan.....a God send actually.
You should NOT feel guilty - you are a maintainer. Keeping all the WL off for over a year is no easy feat! You just fell down and are in the process of picking yourself back up! I enjoy reading your posts and not only have you inspired me, but countless others. After you hit goal, you will be that much stronger in your conviction to making maintenance work for you! Keep up the great job and hold that head high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomor View Post
I'm interested in this thread because I've been maintaining since the end of January.
I was a bit disheartened because the gal who inspired me by losing 100 pounds has gained quite a bit of it back.
Congrats on maintaining for the last 2 months. You can do it!
I'm so proud of you!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe you will have an opportunity to "help" the gal re-claim her WL. Do you know her well enough to meet her for coffee and see if you can do anything to assist her in refocusing her journey? Does she know about this site where she can get a lot of support?
I guess I'm just thinking if I was in her shoes, it might be nice if someone who is also doing IP went out of their way to see if they could help me get back on track (and to not gain the whole 100 lbs back and then some).
Just an idea.....
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #49  
started 2/22/11

S/C/G: 233/184/165

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
You should NOT feel guilty - you are a maintainer. Keeping all the WL off for over a year is no easy feat! You just fell down and are in the process of picking yourself back up! I enjoy reading your posts and not only have you inspired me, but countless others. After you hit goal, you will be that much stronger in your conviction to making maintenance work for you! Keep up the great job and hold that head high!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! It's only 5AM and you have already made my day!!
disgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #50  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I personally think that the primary goal all dieters should have while they're dieting is to figure out a way of eating (WOE) that they can live with forever that will allow them to restrict calories but also not make them feel too deprived.
I don't always agree with John but this one is spot on!

Before IP I never thought about how I was going to maintain. This time (with IP) I felt like I was in training for maintenance. Since December 2012 I've maintained my weight within a 4 lb range at around 8 lbs below my goal. Other than walking occasionally, I still haven't added exercise.

What do I do? Most days look like Phase 3 except I add cheese to my salad and use regular dressing. I still have a snack or two everyday. And I don't do "cheat days" but rather "cheat meals" two or three times per week.
This will not work for everyone but this is what works for me.
cbl70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #51  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexiChanel1 View Post
All that understood, its still crazy that the three out of three I personally know that lost on IP gained it back I just fear I will be added to that stat.
So given that information...what will you do differently to ensure that it won't happen to you?

I'm figuring out that this is probably how I am going to need to eat FOREVER if I am to keep the weight off FOREVER. Minus the packets, but replacing them with high quality lean protein, protein shakes, lots of veggies, etc. Keep my protein up, my calories down....and incorporate more exercise. I too worry greatly about the future....but if it is to be different it is up to me. Because so many people on any diet gain their weight back shows difficult it can be to change ourselves. Difficult but not impossible. We have to expect and DO something different.

(not ranting at you...this is mostly me telling me how it has to be!)
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #52  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl70 View Post
I don't always agree with John but this one is spot on!
You should always let me know when you don't agree. I rarely speculate so if I post something and you don't agree, one of us has an opportunity to learn something new. Hopefully, that person will be me. Not to be selfish but I'm always looking to learn.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #53  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbl70 View Post
Before IP I never thought about how I was going to maintain. This time (with IP) I felt like I was in training for maintenance. Since December 2012 I've maintained my weight within a 4 lb range at around 8 lbs below my goal. Other than walking occasionally, I still haven't added exercise.

What do I do? Most days look like Phase 3 except I add cheese to my salad and use regular dressing. I still have a snack or two everyday. And I don't do "cheat days" but rather "cheat meals" two or three times per week.
This will not work for everyone but this is what works for me.
Thank you so much for sharing. I have not started lurking in the Maintainers Thread yet, (too early - still a lot to lose) but I'm hoping there is a lot of real usable information there like this.
I really appreciate your insight. The statement "This time (with IP) I felt like I was in training for maintenance", really spoke to me. This is how I've been feeling, but you put it into words and said it perfectly. Also, I really love your input on having a few "cheat meals" (I will call them "free meals" instead of cheat - cheat has a negative connotation to me!) throughout the week rather than a "cheat day". This makes so much sense to me.... This whole time I've been struggling with how to handle the "cheat day". As others have stated, sometimes it's hard to decide when to do this if you have 2-3 potential functions for that week. So, rather than having a "cheat day" that week, I could partake in a couple of "cheat meals". Of course, all this while paying close attention to how my clothes are fitting and the allowable/reasonable range on the scale. And following the "cheat meals" up with some appropriate P1 time.
I'm just soo excited, my mind is really playing with this idea and I love it!

Thanks again. Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

Hi everyone, I'm baaaaack Since I lost pver 30 lbs in 2013, I've had a fourth baby boy, and I am back to IP. I currently weigh 141.1.

I re-read my posts and the responses... sorry if I offended anyone in the past.

Truthfully, almost everyone gains the weight back after doing IP.
I have seen it so many times. one person I know has kept it off, she spends most of the year following the IP plan and working out at three gyms. lol
You ask, why am I re-doing it. It's the only diet that works for me. My sister in law's wedding is in Florida, end of March. I'm not setting unrealistic expectations.

A friend of mine owns a clinic and she gave me an IP reset plan. It involves tons of cardio for the first three days and following IP with no restricted foods for 14 days. I'm on Day 1. Ill keep you updated on my losses.

I maintained successfully at 125 until I got pregnant. I reached 160 in my pregnancy. I worked out throughout. I am going to exercise while on IP, with an added Pre workout BCAA.

Ill post again this week.

Happy to be back
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi LexiChanel.... I beg to differ... the ones that gain it back know they do so because they decide to eat the Standard American Diet again, the way of eating that got them in trouble in the first place.

There are actually quite a few of us around that have maintained for years, some with over 100 lb losses. We just don't post as much anymore and have moved on to other interests in our lives. Maintenance is actually a range and not an exact number so if one has kept the weight off within 10 lbs or less depending on height, you are a successful maintainer.

You can definitely blame pregnancy for your weight gain, kids'll do that to ya', lol.

If anyone isn't sure how to eat in maintenance quite a few of us did up some Maintainers P4 What Are You Eating Today threads. Info listed there is from our MyFitnessPal food diaries. Some might find the ideas helpful. All the copy & paste got to be a bit of time consuming drudgery though, I think that's why we gave up on it; that and people tend to eat the same foods over and over again. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-2-a.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-part-3-a.html

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #56  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

I lost 75 pounds from 9/2010 until 2/2011 and kept it off until 8/2015. I have slowly regained 40 pounds of the 75 in the last 1.5 years. I thought I was over the hump after 4 years of keeping it off.

well tomorrow is day 7 of my reboot!
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #57  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi All!

I tend to agree that after the initial weight loss (for me, 81 pounds 2012-2013) my self image had changed. I still think of myself as a "thinner" person, and even though I've been up and down during these past 4 years, I consider myself an IP success story. There are still 40 pounds that have remained off and will stay off.

It's still a process, but I agree with Liana. I regain when I have these periods of "free fall eating." My particular body regains the weight easily. So I'm thankful that I have the tools to lose the extra weight (again). It's true, though, that I still have to find a great way to maintain. I know that I will, eventually.
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote