Yogi Tea Recipe

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey y'all,

I thought I would post this recipe since some people have been asking me just what yogi tea is. I am not speaking of the bagged tea you can buy in the store. This yogi tea has many benefits, including blood sugar regulation and detoxification and has been used for hundreds of years in ridding the body of disease.. It tastes a lot like chia tea and can replace coffee as well. If you're having 1 tbsp of creamer in your coffee, you can add it to this tea as well. And yes, the tea is zero everything. I brew it in my crock pot.

The benefits of Yogi tea:

-Aids in diabetes both by stimulating pancreas cells and by lowering lipids (cholesterol, triglycerides) in the blood.

-Aids digestion and assimilation generally, relieves cold spasms and cramps, and promotes menstruation

-Has pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory, and antispasmodic effects

-Lowers triglycerides and blood sugar

-Promotes fluid flow in the lymph system

-Increases the release of carcinogens through the liver, reducing cancer

-Reduces free radicals. It is antioxidant, and prevents the depletion of glutathione. It also prevents the destruction of other antioxidants, such as vitamin A.

-Promotes circulation in the lungs and the stomach

-Acts as an excellent digestive enhancer

-Enhances the flow of blood through the body

-Increases general vitality, warms and energizes the body as a whole, counteracts congestion, stops diarrhea, improves digestion, relieves abdominal spasms, is anti-rheumatic and aids the peripheral blood circulation

-High calcium and iron content

-Used exclusively for a good systemic flush and has an immediate energizing effect

RECIPE:

1 Gallon Water
    30 cloves
    30 whole green cardamom pods
    30 whole black peppercorns
    1 lg finger of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
    5 sticks cinnamon
    4 teabags, Black Tea- natural/organic only (no Lipton)

1. Bring water to boil.
    2. Add all spices except black tea bag. Boil 30 -45 min. Longer is stronger.
    3. Finally, add black tea bag and boil another 5 min.

**The black tea is added last because it amalgamates the spices and sort of seals them. Also the tannins help assimilate the spices into the body. This is optional

If you find that it is hard on the stomach, you can dilute it with water as well.
  • Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to trying.
  • I have water and tea bags...just need to get the other stuff! My "yogi tea" right now would just be called Twinnings or Red Rose or something

I like the idea of making a big batch in the crock pot. May have to see if I can find the other spices next time I'm out. Thanks for sharing the great info tho!
  • Thanks for posting! I am familiar with this tea as well as one made with cumin seeds and lemon that promotes weight loss I can post that one when I get home. I completely forgot about these...do you notice a difference?
  • Quote: I have water and tea bags...just need to get the other stuff! My "yogi tea" right now would just be called Twinnings or Red Rose or something

I like the idea of making a big batch in the crock pot. May have to see if I can find the other spices next time I'm out. Thanks for sharing the great info tho!
    Go to an Indian store to buy the spices in bulk-it's way cheaper
  • I actually go to Whole Foods (if you have one next to you) and can buy enough spices for 4 batches for under $10 in the bulk baking department.

I do notice a significant difference, especially in sugar cravings and keep my system clean. My BMs are very regular and I'm losing most of my inches from my stomach and hips due to the warming spices and keeping the colon clean.
  • Quote: I actually go to Whole Foods (if you have one next to you) and can buy enough spices for 4 batches for under $10 in the bulk baking department.

I do notice a significant difference, especially in sugar cravings and keep my system clean. My BMs are very regular and I'm losing most of my inches from my stomach and hips due to the warming spices and keeping the colon clean.
    Good to know; thanks! This is Yogi Bhajan's recipe...do you practice Kundalini?
  • Weight Loss Tea (recipe from a Kundalini Yoga book)

Dissolves fatty tissue, improves beauty, youthfulness of the skin, cleanses the mucous membrane of the colon and is an excellent source of vitamin C.

1/4-1/3 cup fresh or dried mint leaves
    2 cups of cumin seeds
    1/4 tsp black salt
    4 lemons quartered
    1/2 TBSP black pepper
    3 quarts water
    Optional-1 TBSP tamarind (I would not use this as it adds carbs)

Black salt can be found at Indian grocery stores-smells like sulfur but tastes fine.
  • This sounds amazing! I'm totally going to try it, I have everything except the ginger.

Question though, I'm not a huge fan of cloves (although love chai). Does 30 cloves make it really clove-y or is it just right? Can I add less?
  • Quote: This sounds amazing! I'm totally going to try it, I have everything except the ginger.

Question though, I'm not a huge fan of cloves (although love chai). Does 30 cloves make it really clove-y or is it just right? Can I add less?
    Of course you can add less to suit your taste. I can't handle too many cloves either, my mouth gets numb.
  • Quote: Good to know; thanks! This is Yogi Bhajan's recipe...do you practice Kundalini?
    No. I'm not sure what that is
  • Quote: This sounds amazing! I'm totally going to try it, I have everything except the ginger.

I notice the cinnamon more than the cloves. Because you're brewing a gallon at a time, all of the spices really compliment each other. You can also dilute with water after brewing as well.
  • This sounds so yummy....I'm definitely stocking up on my next Whole Foods trip!
  • Having some now with an epsom salt bath to relax after a busy day.... ahh!
  • I'm brewing some right now and my kitchen smells fantastic! Thanks again for sharing!