3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Concerns about IP ingredients (GMO or non? organic? sucralose, soy): Anyone else? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/277511-concerns-about-ip-ingredients-gmo-non-organic-sucralose-soy-anyone-else.html)

Tailwinds 03-12-2013 03:47 PM

Concerns about IP ingredients (GMO or non? organic? sucralose, soy): Anyone else?

Being overweight poses risks to our health, both physical (e.g., heart disease, diabetes) and psychological (e.g., depression) and it is really important to get to a healthy weight. There are many ways to do that, each with varying degrees of complexity, speed and risks and choosing a weight loss program is an individual decision based on balancing the risks and rewards based on that individual's knowledge and willingness to assume risks.

I am only a little more than a month into IP so I am still learning. But I have come to realize that these foods contain, especially in aggregate, large amounts of soy and sucralose, both of which are known to pose serious health risks based on studies which are not sponsored by their manufacturers.

On a related note, I was told by the owner of my center that IP foods are non-GMO and organic. Yet there is no mention of this on their packaging or their web site. Given that these attributes provide HUGE marketing advantages, this stunned me and drove me to pursue more information. When I emailed the manufacturer, they said that their foods are non-GMO. When I asked whether they were organic, they referred me back to my center. In an email exchange, the owner said that she would give me the information provided by IP which shows that their foods are indeed organic and non-GMO. I am to get that information at my consult with my coach, a co-owner, tomorrow.

Due to chronic health problems (Chronic Lyme disease since 1975 undiagnosed until 2003), I have had to learn a lot about the things we put in and on our body. I have seen the FDA insist that things are safe while scientific studies say otherwise leading Europe and other countries to ban substances that we consume in abundance in the US. So I have become increasingly skeptical over the years. It can be a real challenge to know whom to believe anymore.

Does anyone else share my concerns? How do you deal with them? Is the program a way to start your weight loss journey and then transition to another ketosis diet or to some other weight loss plan? Or are you accepting the risks to get to goal and through Phase 4 using IP foods? Or something in-between?

TripSwitch 03-12-2013 04:10 PM

I'm not on IP... But there was a thread about this not that long ago... And if I remember correctly the IP foods weren't organic... And I think there was a whole debate about the non-GMO issue as part of that thread as well... Hopefully someone here can link to it for you...

Tailwinds 03-12-2013 04:18 PM

Thank you for taking the time to post.

I don't know if it was the same thread, but I did participate in a thread not long ago about non-GMO and organic claims by IP. At least in the one that I saw, there was no conclusion, only a lot of skepticism about the claims. I am wondering if anyone has conclusive information on the organic and GMO issues. I will post more information tomorrow after seeing what information my coach provides.

But I am also very interested in a discussion about assuming the risks of eating foods that are known to pose health risks, especially in these large amounts, and how people are dealing with it.

Ojenchilada 03-12-2013 04:51 PM

I share your concerns. Let's be honest...there's nothing natural about the IP foods. I certainly don't see this as a long-term solution to my weight problem, but I love how it has transitioned me into believing I don't need so many carbs to function. I don't know yet how or when I will transition to some other plan, but I consider IP to be a stepping stone.

scorbett1103 03-12-2013 05:01 PM

I believe in the previous thread, the only documented mention of IP products being non-GMO and organic came from one particular clinic's website. It wasn't the corporate website, just one clinic among many. If it were part of corporate literature, I am fairly certain that many more clinics would use it in their advertising, as the organic/non-GMO label is a HUGE draw for many people and would likely increase sales.

Momto2cs 03-12-2013 05:12 PM

In Canada sucralose is in all kinds of products-from diet pop to kids freezies.
You can avoid this in ip by using the soups, etc. instead of the sweet foods.

I don't think anyone expects a plan that has you eating out of food envelops would be organic...

tam67green 03-12-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ojenchilada (Post 4665498)
I share your concerns. Let's be honest...there's nothing natural about the IP foods. I certainly don't see this as a long-term solution to my weight problem, but I love how it has transitioned me into believing I don't need so many carbs to function. I don't know yet how or when I will transition to some other plan, but I consider IP to be a stepping stone.

Totally agree! That was well said!

JohnP 03-12-2013 05:26 PM

The IP diet is a PSMF diet. It relies heavily on pre-packaged food with many non organic ingredients.

If you want to follow a PSMF diet that uses organic only you have some options.

1) You can follow the IP protocol and use alternative products that are similar to IP products. For example - you can buy organic protein powder from True Protein.

2) You can follow another program, such as "Rapid Fat Loss" that has you only eating whole foods and you can buy organic. (Personally I believe this program is superior for many reasons primarily based on it's whole foods approach)

The downside to either one of these options is that you won't get the support of an IP coach for in person accountablity.

lisa32989 03-12-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailwinds (Post 4665398)
Being overweight poses risks to our health, both physical (e.g., heart disease, diabetes) and psychological (e.g., depression) and it is really important to get to a healthy weight. There are many ways to do that, each with varying degrees of complexity, speed and risks and choosing a weight loss program is an individual decision based on balancing the risks and rewards based on that individual's knowledge and willingness to assume risks.

I am only a little more than a month into IP so I am still learning. But I have come to realize that these foods contain, especially in aggregate, large amounts of soy and sucralose, both of which are known to pose serious health risks based on studies which are not sponsored by their manufacturers.

On a related note, I was told by the owner of my center that IP foods are non-GMO and organic. Yet there is no mention of this on their packaging or their web site. Given that these attributes provide HUGE marketing advantages, this stunned me and drove me to pursue more information. When I emailed the manufacturer, they said that their foods are non-GMO. When I asked whether they were organic, they referred me back to my center. In an email exchange, the owner said that she would give me the information provided by IP which shows that their foods are indeed organic and non-GMO. I am to get that information at my consult with my coach, a co-owner, tomorrow.

Due to chronic health problems (Chronic Lyme disease since 1975 undiagnosed until 2003), I have had to learn a lot about the things we put in and on our body. I have seen the FDA insist that things are safe while scientific studies say otherwise leading Europe and other countries to ban substances that we consume in abundance in the US. So I have become increasingly skeptical over the years. It can be a real challenge to know whom to believe anymore.

Does anyone else share my concerns? How do you deal with them? Is the program a way to start your weight loss journey and then transition to another ketosis diet or to some other weight loss plan? Or are you accepting the risks to get to goal and through Phase 4 using IP foods? Or something in-between?

I had very similar concerns.
First, I decided that the health benefits of losing over 100 lbs outweighed my concerns and I would look at the processed foods as temporary.

Soy is one of the worst of the GMO products (most widespread, etc)
I developed hypothyroid problems after starting on IP, and soy can be traced as a culprit. I have since gone soy and gluten-free (I've read a LOT about gluten-free being very important for Hashimotos and other hypothyroid issues)
So, cutting soy cut out much of the GMO concerns that I had. Do I know the sources of the milk for the whey protein? No. Could they be from cows treated wtih BGH? sure.
Again, I'm looking at it as temporary.

I'm gradually scaling back on products with sucralose and replacing with stevia. I'm now making my own soups with plain protein powder and veggies purees. I buy the Quest bars sweetened with stevia. I use the Simply brand protein chips (soy and gluten-free). I'm about 63% to goal. For maintenance P1 days, I'll get to be much pickier about products used.

One thing IP has done is re-ignite my sweet tooth. I was pretty much sweetener-free prior to IP. I'll have to move toward that again. One step at a time. Again, temporary to get the weight off. That is the first goal. There were a LOT of unhealthy foods I was eating to get to be the weight I was. I can "clean it up" more when I get to maintenance.

Until then, much of the produce I buy is organic or from local farm sources. This time of year in the Midwest, I'm stuck with what is trucked in (thank goodness for that!) We have some local farmers with greenhouses who are selling items once per month at indoor farmers markets locations thru the winter.

Tailwinds 03-12-2013 07:08 PM

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I am glad to know that I am not the only one with these concerns. Jennifer, yes, well said.

scorbett, we are in total agreement which is why I am eager to see what information my center provides. I will post here when I get it and will be interested to see what others think.

JohnP., thank you. I really like your suggestions. Is the Rapid Fat Loss program you refer to from "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook: A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting" by Lyle McDonald? The cheapest offer on Amazon is $80 something... I will check out True Protein powder. I think I want to keep my coaching accountability for a while longer, but I know from past experience that I will be able to stop at some point and continue to lose weight without that. It is good to have some options to consider in advance of that transition.

Lisa: I have asked for the ingredients in each food which I am to get tomorrow, too. I am hoping to avoid or at least minimize use of the foods with soy. From information in another thread, I have ordered Quest bars from the All Natural Line because they are sweetened with Stevia. Are you talking about chips from Simply Choices by Wellness Foods? Are you using any IP foods at this point?

Tailwinds 03-12-2013 07:16 PM

I see True Protein has vegan powders. That makes me very happy.

JohnP 03-12-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailwinds (Post 4665687)
JohnP., thank you. I really like your suggestions. Is the Rapid Fat Loss program you refer to from "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook: A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting" by Lyle McDonald? The cheapest offer on Amazon is $80 something... I will check out True Protein powder. I think I want to keep my coaching accountability for a while longer, but I know from past experience that I will be able to stop at some point and continue to lose weight without that. It is good to have some options to consider in advance of that transition.

Yea - that's the book but I wouldn't buy it from Amazon. Pretty weird that someone would be selling a used copy for more than double what a new one is. Buy it here. The E-Book is $29.95. Also, you can google up a pdf version but I would urge you to buy it if you find it valuable to support the author.

Ojenchilada 03-12-2013 08:49 PM

Great thread. In all these weeks, my coach has only been at the office twice. So I don't see much of a point to sticking with IP any longer. I really like the whole foods PSMF option. And Lisa, I am with you--this program has super charged my sweet tooth.

Desafinado 03-12-2013 09:10 PM

I weighed the risks and considered that I was eating like **** before starting IP and decided it was worth it for me since it wouldn't be a lifetime thing.

Tailwinds 03-12-2013 09:21 PM

JohnP, thank you and sorry for the delay in telling you. I've been reading at Lyle's web site!

Jennifer, I'm really glad this thread turned into something helpful for you, thanks to JohnP.

I have to learn more about whether this is the right way for me because I am committed to a vegetarian and ultimately a vegan lifestyle, neither of which is possible on IP and, per Lyle, not on his program, either. He specifically says you have to be willing to eat some chicken and fish.