3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Baby Shower Advice (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/277211-baby-shower-advice.html)

lumielumes 03-08-2013 10:40 AM

Baby Shower Advice

I have a baby shower coming up in a few weeks and I am very anxious about it as it is my first "event" since I started IP in Jan. The baby shower is on a Sat and at 11:00am. I normally eat my breakfast at 11am so I will have to eat that early as I have an hour drive to get there. I don't know what to do about lunch. Do I ask what type of food they will have there? Do I bring my own like a protein drink or make a whole meal like veggies and an omelet and bring it? I don't do salads. So I am looking for some advice on what I can do to make the situation easy and not too uncomfortable if I am not eating their food. Thanks so much! :?:

Wheresmychin 03-08-2013 10:45 AM

The first event is always the hardest. I would say eat before and take something with for during and after.

The last thing you want is to feel deprived.

In my past life, I would have been soo good before and during the event, and then would fall completely off the wagon on the long drive home.

Good luck and go prepared to succeed!

ragdoll74 03-08-2013 10:46 AM

I usually eat before I go to anything like this, and also bring my snack. Most baby showers I go to are buffet style, and I typically just fill my plate with the raw veggies.

If you don't want people to know that you are on a diet, you can put small amounts of other stuff on your plate. Then just move it around with your fork so it looks like you were eating it.

When it comes to desert, I always say it looks delicious but I am stuffed and can't eat another bite.

scorbett1103 03-08-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumielumes (Post 4660011)
I have a baby shower coming up in a few weeks and I am very anxious about it as it is my first "event" since I started IP in Jan. The baby shower is on a Sat and at 11:00am. I normally eat my breakfast at 11am so I will have to eat that early as I have an hour drive to get there. I don't know what to do about lunch. Do I ask what type of food they will have there? Do I bring my own like a protein drink or make a whole meal like veggies and an omelet and bring it? I don't do salads. So I am looking for some advice on what I can do to make the situation easy and not too uncomfortable if I am not eating their food. Thanks so much! :?:

There's nothing wrong with calling ahead to ask what will be served - tell them you have dietary restrictions and see if there will be anything "safe" to eat - you can always "borrow" 4oz of protein from dinner and have that as your lunch, or swap lunch and dinner completely, if there is a plain meat offering. I usually just make it easy and tell people I have a dairy and gluten allergy, that seems to register better than explaining the diet.

If there won't be any plain meat and veggies available, then you can have your usual breakfast, bring bagged chopped veggies to snack on, and use a restricted bar for lunch -that would give you something "sweet" to have while everyone is eating cake :)

And one thing I learned from attending MANY events while on Phase 1 - YOU are more worried about how it looks eating differently than anyone else is. Most people don't notice or care what you're eating, and only make a big deal about it if you do.

You will do great! Just plan ahead and stay in control :)

leannekarella 03-08-2013 11:20 AM

I learned this from my niece who was on the diet last year, long before I started. We had a huge family gathering that ran from early in the day till late in the night. She ate the protein and veggies that was allowed off the buffet, and then brought her shaker bottle and made a drink in the bathroom, then poured it into a Solo cup (so it looked like a mixed drink). Later that night, she made up one of her puddings, but by then she didn't care, and just ate it out of the shaker cup.

Scorbett is right, no one really cares what you're eating. It's just that you're self-conscious about it.

Only reason I knew what she was doing was that I was very curious about the diet! No one else really noticed at all.

I always have a bar or two in my purse for 'emergencies' in case I'm somewhere that I cannot eat what's being served. Plan ahead. Even take something in a small cooler and leave it in the car to snack on the way home.

Halfagain 03-08-2013 11:39 AM

You will do fine. You're planning and concern over this is a great sign that you are sticking to plan already rather than finding an excuse to not stay on board. I'm proud of you!

If I'm reading this correctly, the concern is about eating ahead of schedule and facing a buffet once there. You want to be satisfied and not hungry for the duration of the event. If you drive yourself there, what I would do is pack my RTD shake or equivalent (2 of them!) and some veggies in a cooler for the trip. I would find a place to stop a few miles before you get there and drink a shake, eat some veggies. It's so much easier to stay strong when you are not hungry. Eating celery sticks or broccoli while driving helps me for long trips (to my folks is a 3 hour drive). That second shake is for on the way home if needed (to feed the gremlins if they start to talk to you - even if you don't need/drink it - you have it to hush them up). If it comes down to cheating or having an extra shake for the day - take the extra shake. I am just amazed how much protein curbs my appetite.

You might consider taking a nice looking coffee/water bottle so you have a "drink" in your hand - without having to carry around a punch cup or something like that people think you need refilled. Hey if it's solid or dark colored nobody needs to know it's just water :-) or it's some wonderful herbal tea mix. Oh reminds me, I pack herbal tea in my purse too.

As others have said, you can eat what is on plan there - if they have sandwich makings have some of your night protein that way, or veggies if they are there. I bet they do some healthly foods - after all, got to feed the baby :-) for the guest of honor there.

In general travel tips - for long trips, I pack a WF salad dressing packet in my purse. McDonald's side salad without their dressing works well for only $1.00 and sometimes I get a water or coffee too. There's a couple cherry tomatoes, up to you if you eat them or toss them (they are on the restricted veggie list), and I pick around any carrots. My area Wal-Marts carry small celery stick packets (4 sticks or so) in their veggie cooler. Washed and ready to eat, no dip or anything. They have been nice for a snack on long trips if you forget to pack something.

Lynnie63 03-08-2013 11:46 AM

You didn't say if it was at a home or restaurant. Either way, I'd call ahead and ask what's being served. If its at a home offer to bring something that OP to share.

I've asked for chicken or beef without the sauce and veg without butter. With all of the interest in food allergies, restaurants are more helpful than ever.

It is stressful dealing with events, but soon you'll become a pro and it will carry you past P1 to maintenance!

IdealProteinNewbie 03-08-2013 11:53 AM

I am soooo excited for you that you are thinking ahead. That is a great sign that you are committed and ready for this lifestyle change!

I think the above advice is great. I would definitely bring some kind of cooler with you so you have some food for the drive home. You'll be happy in case the shower runs late and you're hungry.

I've been at this for awhile and, honestly, no one is going to pay attention to what you're eating. They will only if you draw attention to yourself.

Relax, have fun, and be proud of yourself for anticipating the event and planning ahead!

lumielumes 03-08-2013 03:21 PM

Sorry that I didn't mention that it is at someone's home that I don't know very well. I did RSVP today with the sister and left her a message requesting a call back so I know what they will be having to eat. I feel a little uncomfortable asking but I really want to plan ahead. Thanks for all the advice I have already received. :hug:

EPAPRN 03-08-2013 04:02 PM

I went to a brunch bridal shower about a month after I started IP. It was a buffet and there was pretty much nothing IP appropriate...until I found the omelet station. I had an omelet with lots of veggies, no cheese and a side salad with no dressing. No one even noticed I wasn't eating the pasta and potatoes or cake!