Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/147/125

Height: 5'6"

Default muscle gain, no weight loss, emotional, irregular periods

Wanted to get a second opinion after being scolded by my IP coach at weigh in today. ( I thought they were there to motivate?? ) If it makes a difference, I'd say this last week was the most strict I have been on the diet as I was trying to make my numbers move - I think that is why I am so frustrated. Here is my situation and would appreciate any insight/advice or if you have experienced anything similar.
  • Starting my 7th week on IP.
  • Lost only 9lbs so far (about 1lb/week). (As I understand it the first 5lbs dont count because you gain those back when you return carbs to your diet)
  • Started my period on 3rd week (not suppose to as I am on BC continuously so I dont have periods), lasted for 10 days, stopped for 5 days, started again & currently on the 7th day and still going.
  • I do strength training 2x/week for 45min (mostly for emotional stability) (I usually do 4-5x/week and cut down significantly for this diet) I eat an extra NR IP food on these days.
  • I've continued to lose fat, but gaining muscle in the last few weeks.
  • Inches coming down slowly, except for last week.
  • Have noticed a huge shift in my emotions during the last month or so. Always on the verge of tears or very irritable.
  • Using Ketostix every morning and have remained in ketosis since day 3 - if these measure correctly.

I have attached a detailed report of last week's food journal and my numbers.

Confessions:
I know there are foods in my journal that are not on the official diet list, however I feel I have chosen them carefully and eat them because I feel it prevents me from 'really' cheating. Also some avocado came on my salad - didn't realize it wasn't on the diet - whoops - now i know.

I'd like to know if anyone out there has had the same experience as me and how you solved your issues? Also, if you think anything on the food journal would derail the entire diet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg numbers.jpg (31.9 KB, 76 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Printable Nutrition Report.pdf (378.4 KB, 72 views)
sidewaysrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #2  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

I'm not sure what to tell you. My gut is to say that you need to stop the strength training. Hopefully Scorbett will see this thread. She knows a ton.
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #3  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

As for your period (sorry posted too soon before) Mine went whacky at first too and I'm on an IUD where I don't get it for months at a time. When you release fat, you release the estrogen stored in the fat. (Thats where the estrogen is kept.) It screws everything up. Hence, all the IP babies.
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #4  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

The slow weight loss could have something to do with the fact you don't have "that much" to lose. The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off.

The period and moods is because when you're in ketosis, your body is throwing off a lot of estrogen messing with hormones, mood, etc.

As for getting chewed out, this is not helpful, and you need to stand up for yourself with your coach if they're making you feel badly (in my opinion).

Technically you're not supposed to work out on this diet, because you do not consume enough calories for muscle gain. If there's something other than weight training you do (I walk...it's low impact, low stress on muscles) I think that would help.

Your calories are higher than they should be for IP, but I have to say they are similar to mine. I add extra protein to my day because I'm diabetic. On the other hand because you already weigh so much less than I do, I'm wondering if your calories are a little too high.

There are items on your foods lists that are totally off limits for phase 1, such as sunflower seeds and avocados. The fat levels are just too high. I would try to get back to basics if I were having your issues, and not add in the high fat items.

For this diet to work as it should, it has to be followed. I'm sorry things aren't working for you as is... I hope you can get on the right track.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

RE: your period and the emotions - women store estrogen in their fat cells. So when we lose weight it releases into our systems. That can cause extended PMS symptoms, irregular periods, AND it can make BCP less effective - also why you should use additional protection while on IP.

RE: slow losses - the strength training combined with the fact that you don't have as much to lose means you will have slower losses regardless. When you decide to exercise, especially with intensity, you have to understand that you will not see the bigger losses that are typical of IP. The calorie intake is too low. You should also be supplementing with an extra packet right after finishing any exercise to replace the calories. Also, with less to lose, there is a smaller difference between the calories you are eating and the calories your body needs - less of a calorie deficit means slower losses.

RE: off plan foods - you can't be surprised at the lower losses if you are knowingly not following the plan. Multiple deviations from the plan, no matter how calculated they are, can throw things off. I didn't read through your eating plan but if you know you are making changes to the plan that is the first thing you need to look at if you are concerned about the rate of losses. There is more to the IP diet than just calories and carbs, there is chemistry at work as well and a reason for the foods we are allowed to have, as well as the ones we can't.

Also, RE: the ketostix - If you are registering ketones on them, you likely aren't drinking enough water. Ketosis does not put high levels of ketones in your system, and if you are well hydrated they are diluted enough that they barely register, if at all, on the stix.

Hope that helps!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 144/138.0/118

Height: 5'0"

Looking at your measurements, you are pretty darn thin. I am higher than you on all measurements and hips so small, Geez you are lucky. Mine are 37 1/2, and I am 5 feet tall. I think your workouts are really helping you, but i would honestly eat on plan. When you are working out have the bar 10 minutes before you work out and protien after. Seriously your measurements are awesome, keep up the workouts And remember no cheating, have more meat or an egg if you are hungry.
LexiChanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/147/125

Default super helpful

Thank you all who have responded. I really appreciate your time and help. I think I might switch coaches to this forum!! And thanks for the encouragement. I really think that is just want I needed as I think my emotions/hormones are whacked-out and seritonin levels are teetering on something thin.

My dr. called me in today for a gyn checkup because she said something else could be going on that might be more serious. So I'll update if I find out anything new.

Are there any books out there that anyone could recommend as to the chemistry of how a diet like this works? Would it just be a book on ketosis or is there something else I should be looking for?
sidewaysrevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #8  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

google PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) and you will find the info you want.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #9  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Honestly, I think you need to go back and look at the P1 sheet again...I keep seeing tomatoes and green beans, both of which are restricted veggies, meaning only once a week. Then there are the sunflower seeds, avocado, pecans, bacon bits...none of which are OP. Also keep in mind that if you are eating rotisserie chicken from a store or restaurant, they inject them with chemicals, sugar, salt, etc...so that will add up. I don't know what the lupe tortillas are but if they are store/restaurant made then they might have the same additives. Also cooked onions are not allowed (apparently cooking causes them to have higher sugar) and lastly my coach told me no creamer. She didn't give me a reason but I haven't heard of anyone on here using it. I use my protein drink as a creamer...
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It is very likely that if you've been lifting for a while it's extremely unlikely that you're gaining muscle. The bioimpedance montiors are not accurate, even under the best of conditions and certainly not when used at and IP coaches office under less than ideal conditions. (Ideal would be first thing in the morning after waking up and using restroom to try and normalize hydration)

Also, I would have to see pictures but it is very unlikely if you've been lifting for a while that your goal weight makes any sense from an IP perspective.

I would not advise you to stop lifting, I would advise you to get better advice specific to your situation. If you're as lean as I suspect you are now, continuing on with phase 1 of IP is probably not the best idea and could very well be a bad idea.

You're probably not insulin resistant, at all. Assuming I am right you could lose faster on a diet with a moderate amount of carbs and that would take care of the irritability problem as well. After seven weeks of such a restrictive diet my personal advise would be to take a diet break for a couple weeks and attempt to eat maintinence calories to normalize your hormones and then decide what to do from there.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

I also see many items in your food log that aren't on Phase 1 (sunflower seeds, nuts, bacon bits, CoffeeMate, cooked onions in the fajitas).

Not to be harsh, but set aside your exercise and hormonal issues for a minute and realize that you're not following the protocol all that closely.

I think if you stick to it the way it's written some of your issues may resolve themselves.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #12  

John gave you good avice.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #13  

Advice, and you seem to be very lean looking at your measurements. Thats like a size 2 body. I am currently a size 4 and your measurements much smaller than mine, and you are 6 inches taller. I would stop the diet.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #14  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I also see many items in your food log that aren't on Phase 1 (sunflower seeds, nuts, bacon bits, CoffeeMate, cooked onions in the fajitas).

Not to be harsh, but set aside your exercise and hormonal issues for a minute and realize that you're not following the protocol all that closely.

I think if you stick to it the way it's written some of your issues may resolve themselves.
Context matters. In the context of the OP, you're incorrect. People who are already lean should not be on an extended PSMF plan.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Context matters. In the context of the OP, you're incorrect. People who are already lean should not be on an extended PSMF plan.
I didn't say anything about her being lean, I think this was meant to be directed toward Lexi.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote