3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   muscle gain, no weight loss, emotional, irregular periods (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/277186-muscle-gain-no-weight-loss-emotional-irregular-periods.html)

sidewaysrevolution 03-09-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LexiChanel1 (Post 4660187)
Advice, and you seem to be very lean looking at your measurements. Thats like a size 2 body. I am currently a size 4 and your measurements much smaller than mine, and you are 6 inches taller. I would stop the diet.

Oh....LexiChanel1....I so wish you were right. I'm a jean size 8-10 and a M-L up top. I dont have much confidence in the body fat measurements at the clinic. I'd say I'm about 28-29%. Those are the numbers I really want to change, no matter what the weight looks like I'd like to get BF to around 22-23% at least. :0) trust me, I am no size 4. Measurements are different on different body's i guess. My waste is small compared to the rest of my body, but I got it goin' on in the trunk :0)

Thanks for your thoughts.

sidewaysrevolution 03-09-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueirid (Post 4660558)
This is my first post so hope I'm in the right thread. I've been on the IP diet since December 9th and have lost a total of 28 lbs. Once a month, my coach measures my body fat to lean muscle ratio with a monitor that I place both hands on and hold straight out from my body for about 45 seconds. I've not seen this mentioned by anyone else and am wondering about the accuracy of these measurements.

From my understanding there is no exact way to measure BF% except with sophisticated equipment in a lab setting. With that said, there are a few ways to estimate BF. I'd say the best would be Hydrostatic Weighing (+/-1.5% accuracy). You are submerged in water to get a reading. You probably have something like this at a university near you. Skin fold calipers are okay, but the measurements have to be done by a trained individual that knows exactly what they are doing.

My personal observation of the technique you are describing will give you a good reading within 5-10% of the true reading. But with me, when I hold the monitor to get a reading it is always lower than if I use a scale that you stand on that measures body fat. Those are always higher for me. My theory is that I carry more fat in my lower body than my upper body and the way they work is by sending an electronic current through your body and measuring the return rate. So through one arm and down the other. Or up one leg and down the other. I'm 26% BF on the monitor you hold and 32% BF on the one you stand on. So I just average it and go from there.

I think the most important take away is that if you are looking for a REAL number, go check out the hydrostatic weighing method. If you want a general number to start with to measure your progress, use the number they give you realizing that its not exact. Especially if you hold your weight either in your upper body or lower body.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps.

sidewaysrevolution 03-09-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4660627)
With all due respect, you're saying quite a bit more than she isn't following the diet as written. You're saying that if she followed the program as written that some of her problems would be solved.

My belief is that based on her specific circumstances, which I am calling conext, she shouldn't be on a PSMF type of diet for long periods of time.

I realize that you're trying to be helpful but you're probably completely wrong. I would have to see pictures of the OP but based on the height, weight, measurements, training history and symptoms the IP diet is not the correct diet, for her.

I really don't know how to explain it to you without writing out two pages but I'll simply tell you that when you're lean, and trying to get leaner, you need to lose it slowly and only intermittently ketogenic.

People toss the words "starvation mode" around all the time thinking that too few calories stops fat loss and this is a myth but there actually is such a thing as starvation mode and it is when the body starts to shut down non eseential functions and if I'm rigtht the OP is at the beginning phase of this.

I've seen it before to others around the net and I saw it happen in my wife. We didn't know what was happening and in the end it tooks months of eating at maintinence for everything to work itself out. That is why I'm suggesting the OP consider eating a couple weeks at maintinence and if she wants to return the the IP diet I'd suggest only 3-4 weeks of phase 1 at a time.

I talked to several personal trainers I have worked with in the past about the issues I've been having and and they have mentioned the same thing. I have found it hard to lose fat, but I'm excellent at gaining muscle and strength. I've done marathons and triathlons and strength training is the only thing that has helped change my shape and the only thing where I have seen any results. Plus it is an emotional happy drug for me. However, as I understand it, a diet like this might be good for a while to try to help lose the fat, but I shouldn't stay on it for long periods. On top of that with the hormonal issues I have been having, they said it might be a longer process to get to where I want to be as I will have to deal with the 2-steps forward 1-step back approach in order to keep my hormones from making me purchase a straitjacket.....which is literally where I felt I was a few days ago. I have since added a few more carbs back into my diet and have been feeling better the last few days.

After the doc's tests, I'll be better able to assess what is going on.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.

sidewaysrevolution 03-09-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellyk1 (Post 4661394)
Please dont blast me I have done that already but I want to know if it is possible that you gain weight just because of cycle(Tom as you all call it on here) I had my 4 week weigh in and was doing awesome total of 17 lbs lost previous but 3 pound gain this week! Was very devistated but still very determined! Any tips to try and make sure there is not a gain the next cycle! Thanks for any input! :0) Shelly

The answer is 100% yes and no, there is not much you can do about it except run happy wild and free with the women in the feminine product commercials :0). I've had TOM issues since week 3 and as things progressed I started to experience the hormonal symptoms more and more. I'm currently on week 7 and the hormonal issues are a little too much for me to handle so I'm taking a different approach. However, I think my experience is not the norm on this diet. Don't be discouraged about not losing during your TOM and sometimes you might even see a bit of a gain. I'd say if you dont continue to lose in the weeks following then you should reassess what you are doing and readjust the diet to jumpstart the weight loss again. Always drink tons of water even if you are retaining, it helps.

sidewaysrevolution 03-10-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolo70 (Post 4660757)
What is perhaps wrong is the notion that close to goal and doing strength training a loss of ONLY 9 lbs in 7 weeks is something to be totally desperate about. I mean, are people so brainwashed by what IP coaches are promising? Like leaving out a creamer a day and you magically loose 5 lbs instead of 1.2? If anything, I would also tend towards eating more in general or eating more fat.

Lolo70, I think my frustration had more to do with the way I was feeling, getting a scolding from my coach for eating the few items not on the diet, and my coach not hearing the issues I was having on the diet, nor was she helping me solve any of them. I was constantly hearing from my coach that I'm not losing enough each week. Also the fact that you pay so much for a diet like this - my expectations in a coach would be to help and give good advice. So I turned to the forum for help and I am glad I did. Honestly, I've done marathons and triathlons and haven't lost this much weight. So even though its not a quick fix, I'm good with the weight loss now that I have decided not to listen to my coach. although first 5 lbs isn't really a loss as you gain that back right? eeek. :0)

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate them.

foreveryoung 03-10-2013 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewaysrevolution (Post 4659430)
Wanted to get a second opinion after being scolded by my IP coach at weigh in today. ( I thought they were there to motivate?? ) If it makes a difference, I'd say this last week was the most strict I have been on the diet as I was trying to make my numbers move - I think that is why I am so frustrated. Here is my situation and would appreciate any insight/advice or if you have experienced anything similar.
  • Starting my 7th week on IP.
  • Lost only 9lbs so far (about 1lb/week). (As I understand it the first 5lbs dont count because you gain those back when you return carbs to your diet)
  • Started my period on 3rd week (not suppose to as I am on BC continuously so I dont have periods), lasted for 10 days, stopped for 5 days, started again & currently on the 7th day and still going.
  • I do strength training 2x/week for 45min (mostly for emotional stability) (I usually do 4-5x/week and cut down significantly for this diet) I eat an extra NR IP food on these days.
  • I've continued to lose fat, but gaining muscle in the last few weeks.
  • Inches coming down slowly, except for last week.
  • Have noticed a huge shift in my emotions during the last month or so. Always on the verge of tears or very irritable.
  • Using Ketostix every morning and have remained in ketosis since day 3 - if these measure correctly.

I have attached a detailed report of last week's food journal and my numbers.

Confessions:
I know there are foods in my journal that are not on the official diet list, however I feel I have chosen them carefully and eat them because I feel it prevents me from 'really' cheating. Also some avocado came on my salad - didn't realize it wasn't on the diet - whoops - now i know.

I'd like to know if anyone out there has had the same experience as me and how you solved your issues? Also, if you think anything on the food journal would derail the entire diet?

Sorry to tell you this, if you don't follow the sheet your results will be way different than the rest of dieters that follow the sheet. The instructions stated very specifically : no exercise in phase 1... Also you have a list of what and what not to eat. Some coaches get frustrated when their client doesn't follow the program closely, that had happened to many of us, good luck to you.

JohnP 03-10-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewaysrevolution (Post 4661932)
After the doc's tests, I'll be better able to assess what is going on.

I doubt it. You'll be able to rule out any obvious medical conditions but your GP is not an endo and even an endo is trained to find and solve health problems.

You don't have a health problem. You have a dietary problem. You're trying to combine a ketatonic low calorie diet with some intense weight lifting for over 7 weeks now.

Round peg. Square hole.

I've not seen any pictures of you but I have an extremely hard time believing you're anywhere near 30% body fat.

If you want to get a relatively accurate estimate of your body fat percentage you can post an anonymous set of pictures over here.

Lolo70 03-10-2013 03:33 PM

Actually, in terms of fat loss and weight training, I have been following Precision Nutrition for a while. I like their coaching style, because it seems to be based on professional principles. I never subscribed to their program, but just read their free newsletter.

Tailwinds 03-10-2013 04:44 PM

What is meant by "OP"? I thought it stood for "On Plan/Program" but in this thread I saw it used in a way that seems to describe the dieter.

Thank you.

IntheEvening 03-10-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailwinds (Post 4662575)
What is meant by "OP"? I thought it stood for "On Plan/Program" but in this thread I saw it used in a way that seems to describe the dieter.

Thank you.

OP usually means Original Poster.

Tailwinds 03-10-2013 05:15 PM

Thank you!

claygirl 03-10-2013 10:53 PM

Pregnant? Hope not. But that's how I feel sometimes on the diet. Added a bit of carbs for emotional stability. Just a little but it helps.