3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Homemad Salad Dressing Question?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/276868-homemad-salad-dressing-question.html)

JLUS 03-03-2013 06:25 PM

Homemad Salad Dressing Question??

I've made an Italian dressing with Olive Oil, vinegar and spices. Before when I have done this and kept it in the fridge, the oil becomes gloppy and very unappealing, even after remixing (last time it actually just about solidified when I mixed it!) Wondering if I need to keep it in the fridge... none of the ingredients are kept in the fridge when separate (well, I did add a little Dijon to this batch).

I am used to refrigerating store-bought dressing but I am thinking that is more because of the preservatives or other things they add.

Whatcha all think??

Lizzy63 03-03-2013 06:33 PM

I don't refrigerate mine and I mix up a batch about every week. I probably would not keep it more than a coupe of weeks.

fadedbluejeans 03-03-2013 06:46 PM

I mix a good seasons packet with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I don't refrigerate it, but its normally used up within 2 weeks or so.

ecmcnamee 03-03-2013 06:47 PM

I make the same dressing and I do not refrigerate it either

Debrasb 03-03-2013 07:30 PM

I make a big batch and blend it quickly with an immersion blender. It holds the emulsion better for me, and I do refrigerate. I use olive oil, lemon juice, dijon, tarragon, vinegar and salt/pepper.

JLUS 03-03-2013 07:40 PM

Thanks!

I didn't mix a big batch this time. I think I will keep it out of the fridge - it will definitely be gone in a few days. It's pretty tasty I must say!! :)

leannekarella 03-03-2013 08:24 PM

I use the Good Seasons mix, but do NOT put the oil in it. I mix it with vinegar and water (plus extra stuff if I want to change up the flavor) and a bit of xanthan gum to thicken it a little, and I keep that in the fridge, because I like cold dressing.

Then, when I make my salad, I put the oil directly on the veggies.

It's cleaner that way...no gloopy mess.

WebRover 03-03-2013 08:56 PM

I thought the sheet has only cider vinegar and white vinegar--no balsamic vinegar.

I do like the oil and vinegar well mixed which drizzling separately onto a salad doesn't accomplish. I like raw grated garlic in my dressing and I think that does need to be refrigerated. :idea: I think I could use your idea and mix the garlic with the vinegar. Then I could mix some of the mixture with oil just before adding to the salad. Then I wouldn't have to grate the garlic for each salad.

:chef:

leannekarella 03-04-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebRover (Post 4653912)
I thought the sheet has only cider vinegar and white vinegar--no balsamic vinegar.

I do like the oil and vinegar well mixed which drizzling separately onto a salad doesn't accomplish. I like raw grated garlic in my dressing and I think that does need to be refrigerated. :idea: I think I could use your idea and mix the garlic with the vinegar. Then I could mix some of the mixture with oil just before adding to the salad. Then I wouldn't have to grate the garlic for each salad.

:chef:

I don't use balsamic. Either white or cider. I like them both, and there's a nice difference, along with adding other seasonings/garlic/minced onion, etc... I hate eating the same dressing day after day. I have an immersion mixer and it works really well to emulsify (I think that's the right word) the oil into the vinegar. Mostly, it's much quicker to just sprinkle my oil right onto the salad then pour the vinegar mixture over it.

runnergrl7 03-04-2013 01:58 AM

All the Good Seasonings packets I've seen have sugar in the ingredients list. What flavor/ kind are you using?