Dr. Tran's book: "Ideal Protein...Because it's your Life"

• So I read his book yesterday. Not sure if you have had a chance to read it, but the beginning chapter is about psychology and dieting...how the relationship with food is closely tied to emotions. Thought this was worth stating:

"Patients must successfully apply the notions of understanding and compassion to themselves. To do this, they must be strong enough to ask the real questions. What happened in my career or personal life that is leading me to seek comfort in food? From what or from whom am I protecting myself by eating senselessly? What do I really need: food, chocolate, or something else...?"

If I get a desire to eat when I shouldnt be hungry I ask myself this question and usually come up with a good answer. Just my 2 cents. (:
  • I read it too and it was a good reminder that there's so much more to this that the simple matter of what packets we choose. Getting there is one thing - it's everything that happens later that will be the true measure of our success.
  • Today was my first true test with an URGE. I've always been a stress eater-since I was a kid.

Today was a truly BAD day, and as I was driving home, I really wanted to pull into any fast food place and buy French fries.

I did not.

I'm also an ex-smoker, so I have gone through this before and overcome...

It does make me re-evaluate what my triggers are, and today in general was one of them. Six months ago, I would have gotten a huge burger and huge fries to "make me feel better" about things.

I have not read his book, but I've gone through enough therapy to know that first you need to understand the problem before you can then change the mindset and deal with it.

I am feeling pretty good about making it home without getting fries tonight!
  • Well done Leanne! Each time you conquer the trigger/compulsion it will make you stronger for the next temptation.

Claygirl, thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware there was a book, and it's so easy to just focus on following the "rules". This thread is a good reminder to be thinking about the psychology/emotional aspect as well.
  • Well done, Leanne! I think we all know those days. We call them the 'I want to eat the everything!!!' days.

Another great book? http://www.amazon.ca/You-Are-WHY-Eat.../dp/0762782455 Highly recommended reading before phasing off.
  • Yes, great job Leanne! I know I have felt the same way..wanting to get rid of that feeling of being overwhelmed and stressed and wanting to turn to food for comfort! Good for you that you didn't give in!
  • This forum is great! Today was Day 1 for me...so far so good. I did have a bit of a headache this afternoon, but went away pretty quick as I remembered to drink, drink, drink my water. So for you expert losers here is what I consumed today...let me know how it could be better and/or what i did right.

Earl Grey Tea with 2 splenda and TBS of 2% milk
    RTD Chocolate
    2 c. Steamed veggies (went to a a restaurant)
    Earl Grey Tea- 1 Splenda
    RTD Strawbery-Bannana IP
    7oz Roast Beef- made in a dutch oven in the oven
    2c. Celery cooked with the roast beef
    Earl Grey Tea- 3 splendas 1TBS 2% milk
    RTD Chocolate

Thanks for any advice and being here for us newbies!
  • Quote: So I read his book yesterday. Not sure if you have had a chance to read it, but the beginning chapter is about psychology and dieting...how the relationship with food is closely tied to emotions. Thought this was worth stating:

"Patients must successfully apply the notions of understanding and compassion to themselves. To do this, they must be strong enough to ask the real questions. What happened in my career or personal life that is leading me to seek comfort in food? From what or from whom am I protecting myself by eating senselessly? What do I really need: food, chocolate, or something else...?"

If I get a desire to eat when I shouldnt be hungry I ask myself this question and usually come up with a good answer. Just my 2 cents. (:
    Where do you find this book? I don't see it on amazon or his website...
  • Quote: Today was my first true test with an URGE. I've always been a stress eater-since I was a kid.

Today was a truly BAD day, and as I was driving home, I really wanted to pull into any fast food place and buy French fries.

I did not.

It does make me re-evaluate what my triggers are, and today in general was one of them. Six months ago, I would have gotten a huge burger and huge fries to "make me feel better" about things.

I have not read his book, but I've gone through enough therapy to know that first you need to understand the problem before you can then change the mindset and deal with it.

That is awesome! Good for you I hope today is a better day than yesterday!
  • Quote: Today was my first true test with an URGE. I've always been a stress eater-since I was a kid.

I did not.

The whole day was not a bad day.
    You flexed the willpower muscle and strengthened it!
    I'm a stress eater/food fixes everything girl, too so I KNOW what it takes to get thru tough times without heading straight to old behaviors.
    Here's hoping yesterday is over and today is much better
    YOU get to move forward knowing you made the best choice for your health! yay!

Quote: This forum is great! Today was Day 1 for me...so far so good. I did have a bit of a headache this afternoon, but went away pretty quick as I remembered to drink, drink, drink my water. So for you expert losers here is what I consumed today...let me know how it could be better and/or what i did right.

Earl Grey Tea with 2 splenda and TBS of 2% milk
    RTD Chocolate
    2 c. Steamed veggies (went to a a restaurant)
    Earl Grey Tea- 1 Splenda
    RTD Strawbery-Bannana IP
    7oz Roast Beef- made in a dutch oven in the oven
    2c. Celery cooked with the roast beef
    Earl Grey Tea- 3 splendas 1TBS 2% milk
    RTD Chocolate
    Deb: This is a great question for the daily thread (now weekend) . There is a new one every day. We usually post topic-related issues within threads. The daily is for chat and general questions.
    You'll probably get the answers you're looking for there.
    Welcome!

Quote: Where do you find this book? I don't see it on amazon or his website...
    The book is available at IP clinics (my coach ordered it for me and now has several copies)
    I also found it on this website
    http://idealproteinnova.blogspot.com...l-protein.html
  • My coach gave me the book. Not sure from where though...but I can ask Monday.
  • The book is available at IP clinics (my coach ordered it for me and now has several copies)
    I also found it on this website
    http://idealproteinnova.blogspot.com...l-protein.html[/QUOTE]

Thank you
  • I thought this was a nice progression to keep in mind if it rings true for you...it does for me.

"When you're overweight, you don't like what you see in the mirror. You reject your body, which has become unrecognizable or was never accepted. After dieting for a few weeks and dropping about 10 pounds, a patient can stand herself, buoyed by the initial signs of success. Then, eventually she accepts herself by making the most of her new-found body." -dr tran

Not bad for a guy to understand! (:
  • There is also another Dr Tran book that is a free PDF online. It is the bases behind what he developed into IP. It helped me understand what is going on with my body.
    http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/IMG...re_Dr_Tran.pdf
  • The PDF version was his first book. As with anyone I've followed in the lowcarb world, they "tweak" things as they learn & grow. (Dr Eades & Dr Atkins both did, to name two). There are updates in the new book.