3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   New Member And A Few Questions (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/276644-new-member-few-questions.html)

Spiritman 02-28-2013 09:19 AM

New Member And A Few Questions

Hello folks.

Just joined up and have a few questions. But first just a little info because I can't be helped if people don't know my circumstances. The wife and I have been on IP for the last two weeks - her officially, myself following along. Due to my extreme sensitivity to soy and the digestive problems it causes me and the fact that her "coach" is an idiot and less than helpful - I didn't "officially" join thinking that why waste the money if I can't use the products.

Anyway through experimentation I have found that I do not react to the RTD shakes of the orange, peach-mango, vanilla and the chicken soup. So this is what I have been consuming. So in the first week on plan I lost 15 pounds. Hot damn, it's true what they say about this plan is what I was thinking.

So today was the end of week two and I was ready for another drop in scale numbers - not as big as the first but something based on the average numbers for men I've read about.

Bingo-bango get on the scale and it registers a total loss of 0.0 pounds. WTF :?:

My question(s) is/are: Is this normal? I've followed the program to a tee - or so I think

Breakfast - RTD shake - peach-mango
Lunch - chicken soup packet or RTD vanilla shake - 2 cups of veggies - cucumbers/celery with lettuce and two tablespoons WF thousand island dressing
Dinner - 8 oz protein - lean red meat or pork (can't eat chicken - causes vomiting) 2 cups veggies - some form of asparagus/cauliflower/broccoli
snack in the evening is another RTD shake - orange drink

64+ oz of water are consumed daily and I only drink two cups of coffee in the morning - black

I take all the required vitamins and have not cheated once.

The only med I am on is 20 mg of Nexium

I haven't been exercising - just running to the bathroom to urinate every 45 minutes it seems - LOL

So....is my response typical? I am averaging 7.5 pounds lost per week which is great but I was quite shocked that there was nothing lost in week two. Just my naturally knee jerk response is WTF - as with every other diet I ever tried it has ended the same - 15 pounds lost - and nothing and then I lose motivation and return to old patterns.

As I've indicated I guess I'm looking for some direction - as I've indicated my wife's coach is an idiot imho and less than helpful so I've turned to this forum for help/support/reassurance or some direction.

Thanks for reading the novel and I look forward to being a part of the group.

Shawsy 02-28-2013 09:41 AM

Hi. I'm pretty new around here as well, but have been on IP for 3 months now. I have had weeks of big weight loss (not 15 pounds though) and others of only about 1 pound. I am down 49 pounds, so averaging 4 per week, but that is really all it is - an average.

Given the limited choices you have with your soy sensitivity, I don't know how you could follow the protocol any more closely. You may want to take some body measurements each week along with stepping on the scale. Sometimes when the scale doesn't move much, the tape measure tells a better story.

Best of luck to you and your wife on the plan.

M35A2 02-28-2013 09:55 AM

Welcome!

There are a variety of different issues that can affect the scale including water rentention and constipation for example. Give it a couple more weeks and as long as you are 100% OP the weight will come off. I'm just about to end week 5 and looking at zero this week myself.

Can you handle or tolerate fish? Might be a change for protein.

Also drop by the Men's forum: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...p-vol-4-a.html

zoesmom 02-28-2013 10:03 AM

Keep with it. I hit a 6 week plateau and am just now moving again.

Make sure you are following the men's plan and getting enough calories. As I found out last week...that was why I was in a 6 week plateau...I was not getting enough once I threw in exercise.

Averages are averages....that means you may have weeks were you lose nothing followed by weeks where you are losing insane amounts, but once you do the math, it averages out to whatever amount.

Take into consideration things like, age, starting weight, your body's actual metabolism, and so on.

If soy is a problem, look into alternatives, such as those found on diet direct....a lot of their products do not contain soy at all and many IPers have found them to be reasonable substitutes.

But stick with it. It does work. It helps to remember you did not put it on over night, it will not come off over night. It also helps to remember that the average person gains 10-15 pounds a year but usually looses 1-2 pounds a week...or 52-104 pounds a year...and you have *averaged* more than that to date :)

Oh---and a lot of people don't see any movement week two or sometimes week three. I've found that is usually people who had substantial loses on week one.

SylviesGirl 02-28-2013 10:07 AM

Hi and Welcome!

I am really too new to offer a whole lot of advice. There are people here who are very knowledgeable and, thankfully, they are very generous with their knowledge. I will leave the technical advice to them.

I just wanted to empathize with your fear that this plan just somehow, someway won't work for you. I am with you. I lost great the first week, this week was a small loss (and there are reasons for that for me), but due to all my past failures and disappointments, I live in fear that this plan, too, will mysteriously stop working. All I can offer is a hand of friendship and support as we all take this leap of faith together. Stick with it and look toward next week. :)

Spiritman 02-28-2013 10:17 AM

Thanks for the encouragement folks, just what I need now.

I can tolerate fish and should incorporate that into my diet - just don't tell my wife - then I'll have to admit that she was right. LOL

zoesmom - I didn't even think about making sure that I am getting enough calories - let alone a men's plan. Like I said the wife's coach is an idiot and only seemed interested in getting us signed up for the $$$ She was busy professing the wonders of IP and how she's been on it off on and on - considering she is bigger than I am I would say she has been off it more than on it - many times until she heard about my soy issues and then she lost all interest and nothing more to say or suggest. Talk about not knowing the product you are suppossed to be selling/endorsing.

M35A2 - So far I've had no problems with constipation and everything else seems fine. I guess it's a matter of being patient - staying on plan - and getting the support when I need it. I'll check out the men's thread as well. thanks for the heads up.

Spiritman 02-28-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SylviesGirl (Post 4649663)
Hi and Welcome!

I am really too new to offer a whole lot of advice. There are people here who are very knowledgeable and, thankfully, they are very generous with their knowledge. I will leave the technical advice to them.

I just wanted to empathize with your fear that this plan just somehow, someway won't work for you. I am with you. I lost great the first week, this week was a small loss (and there are reasons for that for me), but due to all my past failures and disappointments, I live in fear that this plan, too, will mysteriously stop working. All I can offer is a hand of friendship and support as we all take this leap of faith together. Stick with it and look toward next week. :)

I appreciate the welcome and the support.

ragdoll74 02-28-2013 10:21 AM

Everyone is different. Some people don't have big losses at all on the first couple week, and like you some don't have a loss at all on week 2.

You look like you are following the plan according to the phase 1 sheet, but I think most men actually do 4 packets. Check out the men on IP thread, and I'm sure you will get some great advice.

You should up your water for each cup of coffee you are drinking.

zoesmom 02-28-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritman (Post 4649681)
zoesmom - I didn't even think about making sure that I am getting enough calories - let alone a men's plan.

Consider this...without dieting, the FDA recommendation is women between 1800-2000 and men at 2000-2500. Dieting drops that. IP drops it more. I am on a plan very similar to IP and on my plan, women get 1000-1200 calories a day and men get 1200-1500 a day. IP tends to run about 100 calories less than that. If you do not consume enough calories, your body hits "starvation mode" and holds onto every little thing it can out of fear it won't get what it needs to be efficient. Our bodies are amazing in that they can adapt to things like that. If you are doing the exact same thing as your wife, and getting the same calories as your wife, up it by about 200-300 calories a day. I recommend reading some of Dr. Tran's work if you have not already...he's the founder of IP and has some awesome stuff up online and you can read his books via e-reader for free.

Also...if your coach has been off and on the program many times, get a new coach. She doens't know how to properly use the program and maintain afterwards, much less teach you. Lead by example, not by words. If a new coach is not easily found, you CAN do the IP program without IP products... :yikes: ...Dr. Tran gives you ALL the information you need on how to properly and safely do this diet...I do recommend however, that you get with a doctor, or preferably a nutritionist. They can help make sure things such as blood work aren't all wonkie...and in my case, adjust your diet to have properly consumed calores for maximum weight loss. Remember, a lot of coachs are in this as a business, which means they really are not actually interested in your health but instead, on your wallet (not all, just a lot.)

Check out some alternatives to the soy...they are out there...and they do work. Many IP-ers use them and swear by them...and I personally use them exclusively :) (cheaper)

scorbett1103 02-28-2013 12:31 PM

There isn't a separate men's plan if you are following the Ideal Protein protocol. We have an entire thread dedicated to the men who follow IP, you may want to consider popping in there!

Given your starting weight, you may actually want to add 1 extra packet per day - the extra calories will do you good, just make sure it is an unrestricted packet.

Otherwise, you are following the program perfectly! You had a HUGE drop the first week, so your body will need to adjust along the way. It's VERY common to have low/no losses in the 2nd week or after a big drop. Is your coach also taking measurements? You may have lost inches instead of pounds - that's still a loss!

Spiritman 02-28-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorbett1103 (Post 4649869)
You had a HUGE drop the first week, so your body will need to adjust along the way. It's VERY common to have low/no losses in the 2nd week or after a big drop. Is your coach also taking measurements? You may have lost inches instead of pounds - that's still a loss!

You are correct - I shouldn't lose sight of the fact that a lot of weight was lost. As well, I have no coach, my wife does - the woman isn't much of a coach and being in such a small center there is extremely limited choices when it comes to coaches, like she is the only one - so that's one of the reasons I've turned to the forum. You are also probably correct that I have lost inches - my clothes are fitting better. While it may be a NSV it is a victory nonetheless and I will take it as such and celebrate it as such.

JenRem 02-28-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritman (Post 4650021)
You are correct - I shouldn't lose sight of the fact that a lot of weight was lost. As well, I have no coach, my wife does - the woman isn't much of a coach and being in such a small center there is extremely limited choices when it comes to coaches, like she is the only one - so that's one of the reasons I've turned to the forum. You are also probably correct that I have lost inches - my clothes are fitting better. While it may be a NSV it is a victory nonetheless and I will take it as such and celebrate it as such.

Great Attitude, Spiritman!

Stick with it - after you get the routine down the plan is very simple and easy to follow. Just remember to plan ahead and do some prep work of the veggies when you have time. If you plan to go to a restaurant, you can stay 100% OP. Call ahead and see what they can do to accomodate you. IPeeps will buy individual packets of WF salad dressings and take them to the restaurant with them. You can ask for extra steam veggies instead of the potato portion of the meal. If you have to do any traveling, there are some threads called "road warriors", IPers who travel a lot on business and stay 100% OP. Remember, where there's a will, there's a way! You can do it.

Welcome and great job getting past the second week and not quitting when the scale read zero. Yes, you had other NSV's. You will be so GLAD you continued on!

And continue to come here to 3FC with questions/support. The IP group is very knowledgable and unlike some coaches have lived/breathed the IP plan. FYI, one of the best threads to ask questions and receive quick responses is the Daily Thread. We look forward to getting to know you and your wife better. :D Jen

Tziri 02-28-2013 06:51 PM

Welcome and Congrats on your loss so far! Everyone already gave great advice. I've had a 0 week or "slower" weeks but I've lost inches most of those. Hope everything works out for you!

jeffiner 02-28-2013 07:00 PM

Don't lose faith now! This program is absolutely going to work..in the next few weeks you will be amazed at how easy it becomes and the weight just starts sliding away.

My husband and I are doing IP together also...its great to have a partner with this. The two of you will discover new recipes, new vegetables ( wait until you try rutabaga fries) and a new hope! Enjoy every minute.

Spiritman 02-28-2013 07:02 PM

Thank you so much for the support it is greatly appreciated. This forum is an excellent support.