Old 02-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #1  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Has anybody seen my motivation? I've lost it!

OK, I'm in my 21st week and am SERIOUSLY losing steam. I can't seem to get back in the mindset that got me thru the first 18-19 weeks! I'm tired of feeling deprived, really sick of even the stuff I like to eat, and just want to feel "normal". (I'm sorry, I know I need a new "normal", but you know what I mean, right?) I'm tired of never being able to eat out with my family because nothing works with this diet in the world of restaurants. I keep fantasizing about just moving on to phase 2 and then phase 3, so I can go into maintenance. But I still have about 40 lbs to my goal weight. I've lost almost 60, and that's nothing to sneeze at, but it's getting harder for me instead of easier.

Sorry for the whine. I know my measly 21 weeks is nothing compared to some people on this site who have done IP for much, much longer. And I do like the results!

So if you see my motivation, could you please send it back to me?
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
OK, I'm in my 21st week and am SERIOUSLY losing steam. I can't seem to get back in the mindset that got me thru the first 18-19 weeks! I'm tired of feeling deprived, really sick of even the stuff I like to eat, and just want to feel "normal". (I'm sorry, I know I need a new "normal", but you know what I mean, right?) I'm tired of never being able to eat out with my family because nothing works with this diet in the world of restaurants. I keep fantasizing about just moving on to phase 2 and then phase 3, so I can go into maintenance. But I still have about 40 lbs to my goal weight. I've lost almost 60, and that's nothing to sneeze at, but it's getting harder for me instead of easier.

Sorry for the whine. I know my measly 21 weeks is nothing compared to some people on this site who have done IP for much, much longer. And I do like the results!

So if you see my motivation, could you please send it back to me?
I think you're doing pretty great ~ I have felt like that and I've only been on the program for 4 weeks! But then I think about all of the progress I've made & how I'm beginning to look & feel and I'm over it!
We're all entitled to whine a little now & then! LOL
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

You have to want it bad enough, sounds to me like you are focusing on what you CAN"T have rather than what you can. I have been on this program for 97 weeks...yes you read that right 97 weeks on Ideal Protein. I am not bored, I am always eating something different and this is my normal. I will NEVER go back to eating what I used to eat because that is what got me to where I was and I know I WILL NEVER EVER GO BACK THERE AGAIN. I don't know what kinda restaurants you go eat but there is never one that I have gone too that hasn't had something I can eat.

You have done well so far so stay focused!!

Getting to Phase 2, 3 then 4 is all good BUT from the sounds of your post you will go back to eating what you did before. You will NEVER eat "normal" as you say again, if you do then you have not learned anything. You need to focus on the NOW, not the past or the future but the right now. You have to dig deep down and figure out just how bad you want this. I have lost 236Lbs, Trust me you have to want it BAD!....I do not want you to think that I am trying to offend you and if I have I am sorry, I am just stating the facts as I know them from my own person experience.

Good luck in your jpurney
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 337/164/160

Height: 5' 6.5" ('cuz the .5 counts!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam67green View Post
....I'm tired of never being able to eat out with my family because nothing works with this diet in the world of restaurants. I keep fantasizing about just moving on to phase 2 and then phase 3, so I can go into maintenance.
I am sorry to hear the frustration in your voice. You have made great progress!!!

I have been on IP since October 2011 and if I couldn't eat in restaurants, I would have given up a long time ago as my husband and I travel over 30 weeks out of the year for business.

What restaurant do you want to eat at? IP should never make anyone a shut in. I now speak at my clinic's seminars and make a point of telling the attendees that you can eat at ANY restaurant including the carb-fest know as Olive Garden. You may not be able to eat what you ate prior to IP (not until fun day on P4), but there has never been a restaurant - chain or stand alone - that I could not have a great meal.

Please let us know what else we can do to help you over this hump. In the end though it is your choice and phasing off is ok too.
ptod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #5  

Hey wuv
I was looking for a thumbs up but a will have to do!

We needs some around here to remind people if it were always easy, everyone would do it! We are special and we are doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptod View Post
there has never been a restaurant - chain or stand alone - that I could not have a great meal
I've had some less-than -stellar meals "out" a couple of times but only when I didn't speak up about my friend's choice in "restaurants" (dive bar)

Al in all, I can ALWAYS find SOMETHING on the menu. It just might not be my fav.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-25-2013 at 05:49 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #6  
Started IP 01/31/13

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I found your motivation! Here....take it back.

Start going out to eat and figure out what you need to ask the restaurant for so that you can be there and still be on plan. I learned that lesson this weekend....I called ahead and asked an event coordinator what the menu was and they were willing to accommodate me and served me a special plate. I also carried some "rescue food" in my purse - MIO and a snack just in case. I ate a plain salad with vinegar and oil at a mexican restaurant last week for lunch and had the rest of my meal back at the office (I enjoyed being there with my work group).

You are going to need to ask for many of these same things from restaurants when you phase out. No more going back to the "old" normal. If you like to eat out and that is part of the "social fabric" of your family, figure it out. It is the social interaction that should be most important NOT the food.

And look how far you have come!! WOW!! It took a lot of courage and will power to get where you are today. And, you are whining in the right spot, where you can get support and ideas for staying with what you want most.

How about we talk specifics? What restaurant do you want to go to where it is hard to be on plan? Maybe others will chime in with ideas on what to do at that restaurant.

And...are you checking out all the recipe ideas for what to do with the packets? Is it time to vary what you are eating at your other meals?

Are you finding other ways of entertainment other than eating/food?

Now put your big girl panties on and start thing about how sassy you are going to be in 10, 20, or 30 less pounds!!! This is OUR year.
Msbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #7  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msbehaving View Post
I found your motivation! Here....take it back.

Start going out to eat and figure out what you need to ask the restaurant for so that you can be there and still be on plan. I learned that lesson this weekend....I called ahead and asked an event coordinator what the menu was and they were willing to accommodate me and served me a special plate. I also carried some "rescue food" in my purse - MIO and a snack just in case. I ate a plain salad with vinegar and oil at a mexican restaurant last week for lunch and had the rest of my meal back at the office (I enjoyed being there with my work group).

You are going to need to ask for many of these same things from restaurants when you phase out. No more going back to the "old" normal. If you like to eat out and that is part of the "social fabric" of your family, figure it out. It is the social interaction that should be most important NOT the food.

And look how far you have come!! WOW!! It took a lot of courage and will power to get where you are today. And, you are whining in the right spot, where you can get support and ideas for staying with what you want most.

How about we talk specifics? What restaurant do you want to go to where it is hard to be on plan? Maybe others will chime in with ideas on what to do at that restaurant.

And...are you checking out all the recipe ideas for what to do with the packets? Is it time to vary what you are eating at your other meals?

Are you finding other ways of entertainment other than eating/food?

Now put your big girl panties on and start thing about how sassy you are going to be in 10, 20, or 30 less pounds!!! This is OUR year.
How about I put on my smaller girl panties and deal with it? Don't need the huge ones anymore.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the input. For some reason, these last 2 weeks have been really hard, so I just felt the need to whine. I really think that part of it is the "end of winter" blahs. Winter completely bums me out.

Yes Wuv, I guess I am now focusing too much on what I can't have. No offense taken, you are absolutely right--and the undisputed queen of IP! And that's not my usual mind set, so maybe my little whine fest and subsequent "tough love" from you guys will be kick in the rear end that I need.

BTW, I am proud to say that my son and DH have asked for California Tortilla for dinner tonight, but I have a plan to stay OP. (This is sort of a tradition, we always used to go there after my son's karate class on Monday night, and don't do it anymore). We will get it to go, and I will come home and have a tuna salad (IP style) and my veggies while they eat their "bad" Mexican food. I don't mind that. Part of the restaurant issue is that I'm terribly cheap. I really hate going to restaurants and paying big $$ for a plain salad--I can eat that at home, for much less money!

OK, smaller girl panties are back on, chin is up, tough love taken and appreciated. I WILL do this! Thanks again, everyone!
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

I had to go off IP due to difficulties with TOM. I did this about 3 weeks ago. I have to admit, I did not bother about phasing off, I just started doubling my carb intake, which stopped the 3 months bleeding I went through.

Since then, I have not counted any calories and I ate what I liked. Which was mostly yoghurt, fruit, veggies and some meat. I had bread rarely. I also went out to restaurants and found that my meals at a cajun place and at a sushi restaurant were quite in tune with low carb. So, you should be able to still eat IP meals with some planning ahead.

As to my experience with an IP break, I gained 8 pounds in the first 10 days and now lost them all again. So, overall I was maintaining my weight without a problem. I have to say I really enjoyed eating fruit, cheese and even some bread, but have done it in moderation. I eat differently now than I did before. I also feel the break was refreshing, although I would have preferred to continue dieting. I will give IP another try soon to loose the rest.

Perhaps you need to consider whether you really need a break from eating in such a restricted manner and whether you will be able and willing to maintain your weight loss and to go back dieting. As the others said, you will gain it all back if you go back to eating the old way. I think it is a very personal decision. For me it is relatively easy to go off, maintain, and then go back because I now found the tools to loose my weight and to maintain the results.

You will have to decide whether your determination will falter or strengthen by going off the diet. I think it is easier mentally to stay on, because there is a hurdle to overcome in order to start again. Even if you are motivated.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #9  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I took a "break" and now am kicking my own butt because it is HARD to get back on once you stop. PLUS I know where I could have been by now if I'd kept going. You're bored and whatever but just dig deep and "get 'er done".
If you REALLY needed a change, maybe ask your coach about doing the diabetic plan for a week or two as you get a few more choices there, but it's still OP?? Just a thought. Good luck and lovin' the "big girl panties" talk -- we haven't heard that around here in awhile
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #10  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

You can do this! Try shaking things up a little...test out some new recipes, go out to eat at a new restaurant, try some different packets & snacks.

Push through this and your going to be at goal before you know it.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

I found some new motivation everytime I tried a new veggie or a new way to cook or spice meat and veggies. This week I am trying fennel.

rofl306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl306 View Post
I found some new motivation everytime I tried a new veggie or a new way to cook or spice meat and veggies. This week I am trying fennel.

New foods
Different recipes
Works wonders!
So true!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM   #13  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Plus can I just add that P3 and maintenance are NOT a cakewalk???

Yeah, you have more food options. The problem is, you have more food options.

I am thankful to have made it to goal and phasing off - but man, do I miss the simplicity of Phase 1!!! I do a LOT more mental gymnastics now every time I have to think about shopping, or cooking a meal than I ever did in P1.

The point is - P3 and beyond are NOT easy - so you don't want to go into them driven by frustration with P1. That's a one-way ticket back to emotionally justified eating.

Enjoy your smaller girl panties while they still fit, stick to P1 till you're REALLY ready, and keep kicking butt!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Plus can I just add that P3 and maintenance are NOT a cakewalk???

Yeah, you have more food options. The problem is, you have more food options.

I am thankful to have made it to goal and phasing off - but man, do I miss the simplicity of Phase 1!!! I do a LOT more mental gymnastics now every time I have to think about shopping, or cooking a meal than I ever did in P1.

The point is - P3 and beyond are NOT easy - so you don't want to go into them driven by frustration with P1. That's a one-way ticket back to emotionally justified eating.

Enjoy your smaller girl panties while they still fit, stick to P1 till you're REALLY ready, and keep kicking butt!
Can i be completely and blatantly honest? I'm TERRIFIED of maintenance. While i know i will never let myself get back to this point, and i'm only in the very beginning of my journey, i'm so afraid of messing it up! In Phase 4, there is so much more freedom compared to Phase 1. I love phase 1 for its structure. I know what i can and can't have, stick with it and the weight comes off. Love that!

I never made it to maintenance before (i was only 20 lbs from my goal weight when i fell off the wagon) because i self-sabotaged. I refuse to let myself fail in this, but the prospect of being in maintenance is a little daunting... Thank goodness for this forum in that regard. I'm going to need all the help anyone is willing to offer!

Felt the need to vent/share. Thanks for reading.
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #15  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittStar027 View Post
Can i be completely and blatantly honest? I'm TERRIFIED of maintenance. While i know i will never let myself get back to this point, and i'm only in the very beginning of my journey, i'm so afraid of messing it up! In Phase 4, there is so much more freedom compared to Phase 1. I love phase 1 for its structure. I know what i can and can't have, stick with it and the weight comes off. Love that!

I never made it to maintenance before (i was only 20 lbs from my goal weight when i fell off the wagon) because i self-sabotaged. I refuse to let myself fail in this, but the prospect of being in maintenance is a little daunting... Thank goodness for this forum in that regard. I'm going to need all the help anyone is willing to offer!

Felt the need to vent/share. Thanks for reading.
Amen to that. I am glad that I really took the mental preparation aspect of Phase 1 seriously - the closer I got to goal the more thought I put into how I wanted to handle P3 and maintenance. That time was INVALUABLE. The structure of P1 really gives you that time to think through phasing off and making sure your HEAD is as ready to fly free as your BODY
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote