3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Acceptable protein question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/276381-acceptable-protein-question.html)

jeffiner 02-24-2013 05:31 PM

Acceptable protein question

I bought Oscar Meyer chicken and turkey hot dogs for the kids. Can I eat these?
The label says for one dog
Calories 110
Carbs 1 g
Total fat 9
Sat fat 3
Protein 5 g

As i dont know this info for the chicken/ beef/ turkey that I eat I have know idea if this is ok

Thanks

scorbett1103 02-24-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffiner (Post 4644820)
I bought Oscar Meyer chicken and turkey hot dogs for the kids. Can I eat these?
The label says for one dog
Calories 110
Carbs 1 g
Total fat 9
Sat fat 3
Protein 5 g

As i dont know this info for the chicken/ beef/ turkey that I eat I have know idea if this is ok

Thanks

Long story short, not really a good choice for IP.

Your dinner protein should be 40-50g protein. You would have to eat the ENTIRE PACKAGE of hot dogs to get the right amount of protein. That would also mean you were eating 800 calories.

Hot dogs in particular have a LOT of starch fillers. Really, the meat content is the least of your worries.

jeffiner 02-24-2013 05:36 PM

Ewwww..a whole package of hot dogs..yuck

Thanks..i thought it was worth a shot ;)

Calisto 02-24-2013 07:28 PM

I know, I am a huge hot dog fan and have been craving them when the kids have them but know I shouldn't lol

lisa32989 02-24-2013 08:32 PM

<sigh>
I've determined there are things I will need to give up if I am to maintain. Dogs the way I like em will be one of those things (to me, best in the nasty white bun or fried as corn dog).
Considering I've chosen gluten-free, the buns are gone. And no explanation needed about a fried corn dog.

Some things I need to view as items that I ate to get me in the predicament that brought me to IP....

FlooNimbus13127 02-24-2013 08:49 PM

Such a good topic!

What about chicken sausage once a week? I try to keep my protein as lean as possible, but have wondered if this is okay?

I know many chicken sausages are lower fat but can tend to be higher in carb because of the addition of apple/maple or tomato/cheese. But my butcher had a cilantro chicken sausage and I'm anxious to try it on a kabob with some veggies....

Thoughts?

scorbett1103 02-24-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlooNimbus13127 (Post 4645027)
Such a good topic!

What about chicken sausage once a week? I try to keep my protein as lean as possible, but have wondered if this is okay?

I know many chicken sausages are lower fat but can tend to be higher in carb because of the addition of apple/maple or tomato/cheese. But my butcher had a cilantro chicken sausage and I'm anxious to try it on a kabob with some veggies....

Thoughts?

I've posted about this before - sausage in general isn't necessarily a great idea because they use fillers and the not-so-lean parts of the animal. You want to make sure you get good nutritional information on what you are eating, to see what the ACTUAL protein content is. 8oz of sausage isn't going to have as much protein as 8oz of regular meat because of the fillers.

What you can do if you want the flavor of sausage is to use it as flavoring in a dish - use maybe 2oz sausage and 4-6oz of another lean whole meat.