3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Quest Bar as an alternative (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/276378-quest-bar-alternative.html)

scorbett1103 03-21-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bella73123 (Post 4676776)
I'm pretty sure they don't meet the guidelines, even for restricted. I've quoted Scorbett as a resource, but I know I've seen the info from others on here too.

The Quest Cookie Dough bars have the following nutritionally speaking:

190 calories
70 calories from fat

21g carb-17g dietary fiber = 4g net carbs
21 g protein

Because the fat calories are more than 30%, but the net carbs are "technically" in the unrestricted range, this can be used as a restricted item (kind of like the IP soy puffs or some of the wafer products).

The ones that are NOT compatible with IP are the ones that have more than 30% calories from fat AND high enough carbs to make them restricted. That's a double whammy you want to avoid.

lisa32989 03-21-2013 04:56 PM

Since most of the unrestricted IP products I eat are in the 100-calorie range (80-110) and my only IP restricted I eat (White Cheddar Crisps - everything else has soy or gluten) has 160 calories, I count ALL of the Quest bars as restricted and Quest Bar over 200 cals I wouldn't eat while on P1. This is just me. Not trying to debate what anyone else is doing. I'm still mostly using IP products but had to supplement with alts due to cutting out both soy and gluten.

IP Bars are restricted so it's easy for me to just count bars as restricted. I'm not a speedy loser so I'm probably better off managing my bars this way.

On another note: I had to banish the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bars. They set up crazy cravings in me. Anything that "tastes like more" needs to be severely restricted in my life to maintain sensible eating behaviors. I guess the only way I can have one is to order ONE. But why risk it?

djs06 03-21-2013 06:27 PM

I concur on the cookie dough bars. I think I might not be able to buy any more of those suckers... Sooooo good.

I had one for lunch, microwaved, and brought it to a meeting. My coworker said she was about to lunge across the table and grab it from me because it looked and smelled so good. Lol

IdealProteinNewbie 03-21-2013 07:22 PM

I also count all Quest bars as restricted.

Even though the net carbs are very low, the calories are higher than most IP non-restricted packets.

amberjules 03-22-2013 01:02 AM

http://www.lamberjules.com/wp-conten...ive-Food1.png#

I get asked quite often on how I pick my alternatives and how to decide if it's restricted or unrestricted so maybe this will help everyone. You an add it to your desktop or print it out.

ragdoll74 03-22-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4676972)
On another note: I had to banish the chocolate chip cookie dough Quest bars. They set up crazy cravings in me. Anything that "tastes like more" needs to be severely restricted in my life to maintain sensible eating behaviors. I guess the only way I can have one is to order ONE. But why risk it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by djs06 (Post 4677072)
I concur on the cookie dough bars. I think I might not be able to buy any more of those suckers... Sooooo good.

I had one for lunch, microwaved, and brought it to a meeting. My coworker said she was about to lunge across the table and grab it from me because it looked and smelled so good. Lol

I haven't tried the cookie dough bars and after your comments I think I will stay away from them.

DRegan 03-22-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4676972)
Since most of the unrestricted IP products I eat are in the 100-calorie range (80-110) and my only IP restricted I eat (White Cheddar Crisps - everything else has soy or gluten) has 160 calories, I count ALL of the Quest bars as restricted and Quest Bar over 200 cals I wouldn't eat while on P1. This is just me. Not trying to debate what anyone else is doing. I'm still mostly using IP products but had to supplement with alts due to cutting out both soy and gluten.

IP Bars are restricted so it's easy for me to just count bars as restricted. I'm not a speedy loser so I'm probably better off managing my bars this way.

I agree, I stick with the lower cal quest bars and have one with
2 cups veggies everyday for lunch at work, I never know if Im gonna have a
ten minute lunch or a half hour, so i need to bring something I can eat and will keep me satisfied till dinner, which they do. Thankfully!!

have a great OP day!
D

BrittStar027 03-22-2013 09:14 AM

Just ordered a Natural sample box from Quest. Can't wait until they come in to try them!

benice 03-22-2013 09:47 AM

I'm sure you all saw this, but if you set up an auto-order (monthly or bi-monthly) you can get a 10% discount on whatever you order directly from Quest. Pretty rad.

aliboo723 03-23-2013 02:43 PM

Picked some up at GNC Wednesday. So far I have tried the apple pie (yum), cinnamon roll (yum yum), strawberry cheesecake (ok) and banana nut muffin (ok). I have not felt the need to eat more than what's in the package. I really don't have that urge with packaged things. I just eat what's in the package. This has gotten me in trouble before IP.....a bag of chips, a bag of cookies.....I guess having smaller packs is what I needed. Oh, and a detailed eating plan to follow. :)

50harvest 03-23-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amberjules (Post 4677464)
http://www.lamberjules.com/wp-conten...ive-Food1.png#

I get asked quite often on how I pick my alternatives and how to decide if it's restricted or unrestricted so maybe this will help everyone. You an add it to your desktop or print it out.

Thanks for the alternative cheat sheet Lamberjules! It's good to have everything on one small sheet.

I purchased a Quest variety pack & so far haven't found a flavor I don't like. I treat all the Quest bars as restricted.

ustasmom 03-29-2013 11:53 AM

Does anyone else find that they are particularly gassy after eating these? Not gassy, but GASSY!

I bought the chocolate brownie bars and I am killing my family. Do the natural ones do this too?

Jujubie 03-29-2013 12:20 PM

Nashuanutrition.com coupons code for free shipping on orders over $49 until Easter! Coupon code EASTER10:carrot:

benice 03-29-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ustasmom (Post 4686618)
Does anyone else find that they are particularly gassy after eating these? Not gassy, but GASSY!

I bought the chocolate brownie bars and I am killing my family. Do the natural ones do this too?

Interesting! I've not experienced this with the Quest bars, but I definitely have this experience with other bars that have fake sugars in them. YIKES! It can be terrible. Detour bars, for example, are a no-go for me.

lisa32989 03-29-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ustasmom (Post 4686618)

I've only been eating the 100% natural line. Sugar alcohols can do that tho