3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Quest Bar as an alternative (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/276378-quest-bar-alternative.html)

lisa32989 04-13-2015 01:23 PM

Did you see my post that the S'mores flavor is high fat and would be a super-restricted (once/week) on IP P1?

Briael 04-13-2015 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaskanRN (Post 5152993)
I just started eating Quest bars to save money on my one box of restrictives, my thing is eating a S'Mores flavored one every morning with my coffee, I eat it super slow and I have a weird way I eat it, for some reason I really like to bite of tiny chunks with my front teeth, I dont know why it just feels good, lol. It keeps me stuffed for hours!!! Its been the best breakfast item for me and it has not affected my weight in a bad way, 4 net carbs in that flavor. Im working out A LOT lately too so the Quest bars seem to be a good pre-workout snack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 5153069)
Did you see my post that the S'mores flavor is high fat and would be a super-restricted (once/week) on IP P1?

Interesting conflicting opinions there. While I would agree 100% with Lisa on the super restriction based on the fat percentage, I'm also inclined to agree with AlaskanRN because it's part of a planned workout.

I know that on days when I am hungry I tend to have a lower fat macro rather than carb. On days when I increase my fat macro I have less hunger (oh, and this is GYM days, not regular ones).

While the body WILL process dietary fat as readily as carbs, it won't produce the insulin response at the same rate.

Alaskan - do you track your body fat percentage at all? I'd be interested to know what your WI to WI changes are on BF% to clarify, if you'd be willing to share. :)

Aria05 06-25-2016 10:05 PM

Hi everyone,
Trying to start ip on my own this time and i ordered a box of Double Choco Chunk quest bars!! Turns out they have changed their fat%. Does this mean I can't use them for phase 1 at all:( As restricted /day even?
Thank you!

canadjineh 06-27-2016 03:08 AM

Hiya, Aria05: The Quest bars are pretty high in fat now... although in Canada (at least my end of it, lol) they still haven't changed the fibre type to (non-GMO) corn that they were planning on/have done in the States.
The way to figure out if they are on plan for you is to multiply the fat grams by 9 to get calories and see what percentage of the total calorie count it is. It should not be more than 30%

Lemon Pie, Cinnamon Bun, and Coconut Cashew are probably in that OK range. Almost all of the others have double the amount of fat that those three do.
Quote from page one of "Quest Bar as an Alternative":
You go by net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber). 8g or less is unrestricted, 9g-16g is restricted, 17g is very restricted.

Alternatives should also be under 200 calories, less than 30% total calories from fat, and at least 12-15g protein.

Liana

Aria05 06-29-2016 02:59 AM

Thank you SO much for your reply, Liana! blah... i really really loved double chocolate chunk:( Guess I will be sticking to their Chips and protein shakes! I hope they have not messed with them !!!

garciam4 07-12-2016 10:28 PM

Thoughts on Invocare as an alternative for IP???

kkids 07-23-2016 12:08 AM

I saw an end cap at Wal Mart filled with Queste bars. I didn't check them out yet, though....I'll find out the price & flavors that are in stock & then I'll research to see if any will work for me. I'm trying to stay away from restricted items.

canadjineh 07-23-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkids (Post 5271688)
I saw an end cap at Wal Mart filled with Queste bars. I didn't check them out yet, though....I'll find out the price & flavors that are in stock & then I'll research to see if any will work for me. I'm trying to stay away from restricted items.

Just a bit of warning.... they have been reformulated with more fat and a different kind of fibre so there are few options that fit IP phases (except Maintenance of course, lol). The main thing to watch out for is the number of calories and the percentage of calories from fat. To be useful for IP weight loss phases they need to be LESS THAN 30% calories from fat.
Each fat gram is 9 calories so you can figure it out from there.
For instance Lemon Pie (you either hate this one or really like it) is 180 calories, 45 of which are from fat (25%) so it's a YES. On the other hand Vanilla Almond Crunch is 210 calories and 81 are from fat (39%), so NOPE.

Really watch out which formulation you get if you are in Canada as some have the new higher fat formula, but not in all areas. :mag:

In the US you have very few of their flavours as an allowed choice due to this new formula - supposedly to make the bars softer and more appealing.

Liana

reboottake1 08-11-2016 08:00 AM

Quest bars

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50harvest (Post 4679404)
Thanks for the alternative cheat sheet Lamberjules! It's good to have everything on one small sheet.

I purchased a Quest variety pack & so far haven't found a flavor I don't like. I treat all the Quest bars as restricted.

Hello! First post. I am in the middle of week three of my reboot using alternative products. I have been using Quest bars as my restricted item but only eating half....wondering if I could eat the whole thing? Would be awesome to have half in the afternoon and half at night. Is everyone losing while eating a whole quest bar a day? Thank you so much in advance!

IdealProteinNewbie 08-12-2016 07:08 AM

reboottake1: If it's the old formula bar that meets requirements you have to eat the entire bar otherwise you're shorting yourself protein. So, yes, eat half and half!