3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Quest Bar as an alternative (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/276378-quest-bar-alternative.html)

kcandponies 09-27-2013 03:08 PM

My coach gave me a sheet with the nutritional value of all the products. I don't pay much attention right now, I know the % matters more in the later phases. The restricted foods seem to be those higher in carbs, not fat, but I know the more fat you take in, then less you will burn.

High fat items;
BBQ soy nuts 140 cals/60 from fat
Chocolate soy snacks 150 cals/60 from fat
Choc drink UHT 100 cals/35 from fat
Dill pickle zippers 190 cals/70 from fat
Garlic soy nuts 140cals/60 from fat
Peanut butter protein bar 170 clas/60 from fat
Peanut soy puffs 160 cals/60 from fat
Vanill a drink UHT 100 cals/35 from fat

Princess Peacock 09-27-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcandponies (Post 4850116)
My coach gave me a sheet with the nutritional value of all the products. I don't pay much attention right now, I know the % matters more in the later phases. The restricted foods seem to be those higher in carbs, not fat, but I know the more fat you take in, then less you will burn.

High fat items;

Wow! I was right - not products I use, but good to know! Thanks!

psjones 09-27-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Peacock (Post 4850080)
I am not familiar with any IP products that have that much fat. Maybe they are not any of the products I use regularly. Would you mind sharing which IP products you are referring to, that have 30-40% fat? I want to avoid those in the future - Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcandponies (Post 4850116)

High fat items;

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Peacock (Post 4850126)
Wow! I was right - not products I use, but good to know! Thanks!

KC's list has most of them. Wafers and the caramel nut bar are two more. The BBQ soy nuts are the highest.

amt6 10-13-2013 11:59 AM

Hi all -- I started running 2 weeks ago and my coach said I need an extra packet on days I run. It's only 3 days per week (following C25k), so I figured Quest bars would be a good addition to my otherwise all-IP protocol, and because I'm burning calories running, I can use them as this "extra" packet.

I have read through this thread and wanted to make sure I am on the right page. The following bars can be used as an extra because they are less than 30% calories from fat and all the other criteria:
-Chocolate Brownie
-Strawberry Cheesecake
-Cinnamon Roll
-Apple Pie
-Chocolate Peanut Butter
-Lemon Cream Pie

The following are no good:
-Double Chocolate Chunk (too many carbs)
-Cookie Dough
-Peanut Butter Supreme
-Coconut Cashew
-White Chocolate Raspberry
-Vanilla Almond Crunch
-Mixed Berry
-PB&J
-Banana Nut Muffin (too many carbs)

I hope this list is helpful for someone, and also that I'm doing the math correctly. Please correct me if I'm not!! Have a great Sunday :)

lisa32989 10-13-2013 01:23 PM

I'm traveling & on my phone.
Will update later when on my computer & referencing multiple screens at one
I listed good bars to choose a while back
The new double chocolate chunk is a good one for IP

Most of the ones that don't work as well, it is due to fat content.

I count all as restricted (remember IP isn't only calories, only carbs, or only fat)
There are only 2 I would consider as nonrestricted due to carb/fat content but cals are higher than I like my non restricted to be (especially for a 4th packet)
One is the strawberry cheesecake.
I'll have to look up the other when I'm home this evening

Meeshellee 10-13-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4861460)
I'm traveling & on my phone.
Will update later when on my computer & referencing multiple screens at one
I listed good bars to choose a while back
The new double chocolate chunk is a good one for IP

Most if the ones that don't work as well, it is due to fat content.

I count all as restricted (remember IP isn't only calories, only carbs, or only fat)
There are only 2 I would consider as nonestricted due to carb/fat content but cals are higher than I like my non restricted to be (especially for a 4th packet)
One is the strawberry cheesecake.
I'll have to look up the other when I'm home this evening

I believe the other one is the chocolate peanut butter.

Tuscany123 10-13-2013 08:55 PM

I like the Quest bars. Sometimes though my local store has them and they are not as soft as they could be. Lisa suggested that ordering directly from the Quest site means they come in the best softest state possible. I searched for a coupon code online before ordering tonight and the code OnAQuest gave me free shipping! I thought I'd post it here in case someone else needs it.

lisa32989 10-13-2013 09:04 PM

Here is the list I made again. I added the new flavors. To specifically address amt6's question, the double chocolate chunk AND the banana nut muffin are fine. Neither have too many net carbs (or cals or fat) to be restricteds.

The Quest Bars that don't work (based on fat content) or would be Super Restricted (once/week):
Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,
White Chocolate Raspberry,
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g net carbs. I'd still personally them restricted, altho some use them as nonrestricted. Make your decisions carefully and determine what works based on WIs.

amt6 10-15-2013 10:10 AM

This is the first time I've been back on the site since asking my question. Just wanted to say thanks Lisa for taking the time to answer so thoroughly!

kkids 10-16-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4861723)
Here is the list I made again. I added the new flavors. To specifically address amt6's question, the double chocolate chunk AND the banana nut muffin are fine. Neither have too many net carbs (or cals or fat) to be restricteds.

The Quest Coconut Cashew bars don't fit our IP profile for alts (or maybe you could call them Super-restricted and limit to once/week). They have too much fat. Take fat calories (60) multiply by 3 (no more than 1/3 calories from fat) and you can see that there are too many calories from fat in this bar. You'd want no more than 56 calories from fat to be less than 1/3
The other Quest Bars that don't work (based on fat content) or would be Super Restricted:
Vanilla Almond Crunch,
Mixed Berry Bliss,
Peanut Butter Supreme,
Peanut Butter & Jelly,
White Chocolate Raspberry,
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

All of the other Quest bars would be restricted. There are two that fall right on the edge between restricted & non (Choc Peanut butter & Strawberry Cheesecake). Fat cals are under 1/3 (but not way under) and they both have 8 g net carbs. I'd still personally them restricted, altho some use them as nonrestricted. Make your decisions carefully and determine what works based on WIs.

Thanks for this list. My coach suggested Queste bars for DH since he wants to follow the IP program since I'm doing it, but I know he won't do the WI.

Balanced Life 10-17-2013 05:54 PM

Thanks, Lisa! The new double chocolate chunk are yummy and I respond better to stevia than to sucralose so this is great news! Www.netrition.com already has them and they ship overnight! The Quest website took over a week....

IdealProteinNewbie 10-29-2013 12:19 PM

I'm thinking the chocolate chip cookie dough shouldn't be considered a super-restricted based on fat content. It is 190 calories with 70 calories from fat.

IP's strawberry wafer which has no restrictions, other than no more than 1 per day, is 200 calories with 80 coming from fat.

lisa32989 10-29-2013 12:31 PM

YMMV on Quest Bars
I find my losses stall if i eat the higher calorie/fat ones.
But that could just be me...
I stick with the 160 calorie Strawberry Cheesecake and Peanut Butter Chocolate ones.

Yup. There are ones I like more but I seem to crave more when I eat them.

Just personal experience here.

IdealProteinNewbie 10-29-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4872531)
YMMV on Quest Bars
I find my losses stall if i eat the higher calorie/fat ones.
But that could just be me...
I stick with the 160 calorie Strawberry Cheesecake and Peanut Butter Chocolate ones.

Yup. There are ones I like more but I seem to crave more when I eat them.

Just personal experience here.

It is funny how certain foods cause cravings for some and not for others.

Personally I always feel so satisfied after a Quest bar (maybe because of the high fiber content) but wanting another IP peanut crunch bar which I have been avoiding for that very reason!

Figgypudding 10-29-2013 05:23 PM

I didn't know they were restricted. Yikes! I've had a couple days where i ate three of them - one for each IP meal. I'm so glad i saw this. I've had painful dental work done so now I'm just on pudding for a few days.