Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #76  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ72 View Post
I feel bad I even mentioned the whole cheat thing. Sorry if it upset people. !
No apology needed.

Those of us who have been on IP a while will always try to talk someone out of cheating. There will always be some interesting posts after the mention of a planned cheat. It's all good though because someone will read the posts and take something positive away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Oh my friend-- I KNEW you were the Little Red Hen! You grind your own wheat AND make your own butter?? Plus the homemade yogurt?.... I'm thinkin' of you as our own little Martha Stewart here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramommynine View Post
Isn't hindsight always 20/20? I wish I had foresight! Then maybe I would have stuck to something years ago and lost it all by now! Oh how I remember the days when I was 180 and thought I was HUGE. What I would do to be starting at 180 now! If I only I had known! Oh well. At least this time, when I get to 180, I'll have a lot more respect for it

One thing I can work on today, regardless of what I weigh is enjoying the body that I have now and being grateful for everything it does for me! I've been bad at this in the past. I'm not just going to be good to myself once I'm thin, I'm going to be good to myself right now. I need to remember that my body will treat me better if I take good care of it instead of poisoning it with junk food that makes me feel miserable emotionally and physically.
Love this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle595 View Post
Hi there. I'm new to the whole online thing but must say reading everyone's posts about so many aspects of IP is great - thanks! Would really appreciate any thoughts on the surgery subject as it's adding to the stress of the whole thing that'set for next week. I can't get my mind off this! I've been without a solid coach almost from day 1. Clinic's coach was nice but never really helped me or reviewed my journal for suggestions. Most weighs (only had 4 with clinic since start in Nov - didn't do well and cheated a lot, stopped during Dec, then picked up in Jan) I felt like it was all about the $$$ and not overall well-being. Since the clinic wasn't helping me lose I started reading 3FChicks, made my own changes with suggestions from all of you, got my food from the clinic, and just started working hard on my own since 1/14/2013. I'm 5'0, 46 yrs old, started at 126.9 down to 111.1 as of today. I'm expecting weight gain due to IV and meds, maybe a bit of constipation - but if I stick OP and drink plenty of water it will come off right? Surgery expected to take 4-6 hours but after recovery I should be good to go home. Having capsulectomy removal both breasts with immediate reconstruction. Dr. is aware I'm on IP and not worried. I was aiming for 110 by surgery and I'm so close. I know I can stay OP after surgery and once cleared for walking on treadmill will feel better. Of course I'll follow dr.'s orders with meds and all, but would like to hear what others have experienced with IP issues after surgical procedures. Saw some posts regarding knee surgery, aving a baby, body lifts, etc. - all good info but I'm a worrier and caved in and had to ask. Thank you in advance for any thoughts! Have a great day!
I've never had surgery so these are just suggestions. If you don't want to phase off, then make sure you prep some food for the first several days. Chop veggies and out them in portioned containers. Pre-cook some proteins and put them in the freezer/fridge so you can just warm them up later. Maybe make a pot of soup that will have your veggies and protein in it so you have some comfort food.
Good luck with your surgery.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #77  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
My boys had tacos for lunch so I took the meat (spiced with a bit o spice and a bit of salsa as they like it plainer than spicy) and am now having my "big mac in the bowl" except it's a "big taco salad" in the bowl! LOL I was gonna put some southwest puffs on top for a spicy crunch, but used them all to make breading for my pork the other day -- that was yummy too!
Taco salads are my fav! I like em better than the Big Mac Bowl. More flavor.

Quote:
Hi there. I'm new to the whole online thing but must say reading everyone's posts about so many aspects of IP is great - thanks! Would really appreciate any thoughts on the surgery subject as it's adding to the stress of the whole thing that'set for next week. I can't get my mind off this! I've been without a solid coach almost from day 1. Clinic's coach was nice but never really helped me or reviewed my journal for suggestions. Most weighs (only had 4 with clinic since start in Nov - didn't do well and cheated a lot, stopped during Dec, then picked up in Jan) I felt like it was all about the $$$ and not overall well-being. Since the clinic wasn't helping me lose I started reading 3FChicks, made my own changes with suggestions from all of you, got my food from the clinic, and just started working hard on my own since 1/14/2013. I'm 5'0, 46 yrs old, started at 126.9 down to 111.1 as of today. I'm expecting weight gain due to IV and meds, maybe a bit of constipation - but if I stick OP and drink plenty of water it will come off right? Surgery expected to take 4-6 hours but after recovery I should be good to go home. Having capsulectomy removal both breasts with immediate reconstruction. Dr. is aware I'm on IP and not worried. I was aiming for 110 by surgery and I'm so close. I know I can stay OP after surgery and once cleared for walking on treadmill will feel better. Of course I'll follow dr.'s orders with meds and all, but would like to hear what others have experienced with IP issues after surgical procedures. Saw some posts regarding knee surgery, aving a baby, body lifts, etc. - all good info but I'm a worrier and caved in and had to ask. Thank you in advance for any thoughts! Have a great day!
Inflammation also causes weight gain or stalls so stay off the scale for a while, unless you can just observe neutrally. You got great suggestions for prepping beforehand. You need EASY to grab items while you're dealing with the pain of recovery. I had a breast reduction in 99. My recent foot surgery was right BEFORE I started IP.

Asking isn't caving, it is preparing!

Just know any weight gain isn't FAT gain. It'll be water and any constipation. It'll come off as you heal and inflammation decreases. Focus on recovery and not the scale. Much luck to you!

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-17-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 126.9/111.1/105

Height: 5'0

Thank you so MUCH! Just getting responses makes me feel better already! I packed an overnight bag just in case they make me stay and I put my IP food in there - probably tastier than hospital! lol Went grocery shopping yesterday and am doing a lot of prep food today and freezing it. You all really are the best!!! I feel like finally there's someone listening and helping! I don't want to mess up IP. Have been on so many diets since my early 20's and this is the one I've felt best on. Did HCG this summer, lost it all with injections, only to regain all back and then some because, again,there was no real help at the center I was at. There's a lot to say for being able to talk with and listen to people who are there and have been there. Thank you
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 279/223.5/150

Height: 5.5'

I think I dodged a bullet on day 3..I had to meet my son 3 hours away to bring him home for reading week. I planned my trip well I thought, I took 3 bottles of water and 1/2 cup of cauliflower from my lunch for a mid afternoon snack.
Along the way I stopped at Tim hortons (thanks to the water) and bought my mom a French vanilla coffee and for myself a cup of apple cinnamon tea..a small victory for me.
After getting to the meet spot, my son was late..not just a little late but an hour plus late. I had planned to be home for supper but now it was getting late..I started to panic on the inside(omg, day 3 and I have to eat out). I drove by restaurant after restaurant trying to think what I could possibly order..finally I stopped at subway. I had a lettuce salad with green peppers and a chicken breast no dressing because I didn't have a clue what to get..I think I stayed on track but holy that was one crappy supper..lol.
What do you all do if unexpectedly you're stuck eating out? What restaurants are plan friendly and what do you usually order?
I'm on day four now and my scale shows 10 lbs down..yippee!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 198/184.4/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of the Groom View Post
I think I dodged a bullet on day 3..I had to meet my son 3 hours away to bring him home for reading week. I planned my trip well I thought, I took 3 bottles of water and 1/2 cup of cauliflower from my lunch for a mid afternoon snack.
Along the way I stopped at Tim hortons (thanks to the water) and bought my mom a French vanilla coffee and for myself a cup of apple cinnamon tea..a small victory for me.
After getting to the meet spot, my son was late..not just a little late but an hour plus late. I had planned to be home for supper but now it was getting late..I started to panic on the inside(omg, day 3 and I have to eat out). I drove by restaurant after restaurant trying to think what I could possibly order..finally I stopped at subway. I had a lettuce salad with green peppers and a chicken breast no dressing because I didn't have a clue what to get..I think I stayed on track but holy that was one crappy supper..lol.
What do you all do if unexpectedly you're stuck eating out? What restaurants are plan friendly and what do you usually order?
I'm on day four now and my scale shows 10 lbs down..yippee!
We went skiing the other day and met some friends up there for lunch. I had the same thought. OMG what am I going to eat...I ended up ordering a burger no bun with a side salad with lemon. I lost 4 pounds that week. I think you did great!! Heading to a funeral in NJ on Thursday and I am really worried being at someone's house. Not sure how this is going to work. Going to bring packets but not sure how to handle dinner...they are Italian..I know there will be lots of pasta and bread!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 174/174/125

Height: 5' 2"

Has anyone eaten boiled crawfish while on IP?
I had some Friday. I think it made me gain some water weight but it was sooo good!!!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #82  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna really try View Post
With the aroma of hot dogs, taco meat, hot ham and cheese and then all those home made treats, i didnt even sample a crumb. Hope my weigh in tomorrow is reflects my will.

Jac
Great NSV!

Quote:
Thank you so MUCH! Just getting responses makes me feel better already! I packed an overnight bag just in case they make me stay and I put my IP food in there - probably tastier than hospital! lol Went grocery shopping yesterday and am doing a lot of prep food today and freezing it. You all really are the best!!! I feel like finally there's someone listening and helping! I don't want to mess up IP. Have been on so many diets since my early 20's and this is the one I've felt best on. Did HCG this summer, lost it all with injections, only to regain all back and then some because, again,there was no real help at the center I was at. There's a lot to say for being able to talk with and listen to people who are there and have been there. Thank you
I know you want to stay phase I during recovery, but don't beat yourself up if you feel like you can't stick to it. Your surgery sounds like a big procedure. Focus on recovery and try to make healthy choices if you need to go off plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danif View Post
We went skiing the other day and met some friends up there for lunch. I had the same thought. OMG what am I going to eat...I ended up ordering a burger no bun with a side salad with lemon. I lost 4 pounds that week. I think you did great!! Heading to a funeral in NJ on Thursday and I am really worried being at someone's house. Not sure how this is going to work. Going to bring packets but not sure how to handle dinner...they are Italian..I know there will be lots of pasta and bread!!!
I've been in this situation before. Had my shake in the car during the drive from the cemetery to the luncheon. I ended up eating a few raw veggies at the luncheon and after we left got a salad at subway. We had a 4 hour drive to get home, so stopped had a steak at a restaurant on the way home.

You can always switch your lunch and dinner so that you aren't wondering if there will be anything OP at the dinner. At dinner you can just have a salad then.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #83  

I find I can eat just about anywhere.

The places I find the least to eat are "dive bars" because I can usually get the salad (only iceburg lettuce mostly) and protein (chicken or I order a burger with no bun) but not usually the veggies. Not only that, but nothing tastes all that good (kinda like the Subway experience...not one of my favorites, esp after reading this: Is Subway Real Food?). If I find myself stuck, I make due & either try to grab some veggies later or chalk it up to having done my best. My coach is in agreement with that attitude, as long as the instances are infrequent.

DH & I are pretty picky about the sources of our foods. At home, we eat mostly organics and locally sourced grass-fed meats/free range eggs. We have personal relationships with farmers. Some of our local farmer's markets have smaller-scale winter operations, as well where I can get colder weather veggies & greens from their greenhouses.

I know we get some of the less-quality food any time we eat in restaurants, unless we eat in a local restaurant that sources their food organically and locally ($$$). We do the best we can and the more we read/learn about the food supply and the choke-hold some of the chemical companies have on it, the more we feel our health depends on it. We do not, however, go to the extreme of avoiding all restaurants. I can't tell you the last time we ate fast food, tho. Oh wait. We stopped at one while on the road traveling with someone else last summer.

Anyway, back to the original topic: I can usually find something to eat just about anywhere, whether it is optimal or not, I can make it work in a pinch. We have some friends that LOVE a certain dive bar. I swear I'm gonna start ordering a ceasar salad (basically a bed of romaine) and just bringing my own meat/veggies! The establishment probably wouldn't even notice! Its just one of those places

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #84  

I see a lot of people on Ideal Protein talking about proti bars...what is that?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
Great NSV!

I know you want to stay phase I during recovery, but don't beat yourself up if you feel like you can't stick to it. Your surgery sounds like a big procedure. Focus on recovery and try to make healthy choices if you need to go off plan.

I've been in this situation before. Had my shake in the car during the drive from the cemetery to the luncheon. I ended up eating a few raw veggies at the luncheon and after we left got a salad at subway. We had a 4 hour drive to get home, so stopped had a steak at a restaurant on the way home.

You can always switch your lunch and dinner so that you aren't wondering if there will be anything OP at the dinner. At dinner you can just have a salad then.
Yeah...I'm going to try my best. I'm flying from Utah to NJ and staying with the family of the deceased. It's going to be tough but I am committed. Not drinking is going to be the hardest for me I think.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #86  

S/C/G: 279/223.5/150

Height: 5.5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danif View Post
Thanks, It never even occurred to me to order a burger with no bun..bring along a rottini packet to sub as the pasta, I have no idea except will power for the breads(yikes). Good luck, will send positive thoughts your way Thursday.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #87  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

I went to Applebee's last night for dinner and had the garlic steak, sauteed garlic mushrooms and broccoli. It was great! I even resisted the urge to sneak a french frie off SIL's plate (she had crunchy shrimp, fries and cole slaw) It's really not that bad ordering at a restaurant...it def helps if you can look at the menu ahead of time.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 250/241/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ72 View Post
Ultramommynine.... You have exactly the right attitude! I thank God every day that I am healthy.... Pleasantly plump but healthy!

Yes, thank God! My body's been good to me for going on 29 years and 2 babies! God's handiwork deserves some respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylunk View Post
I think I might actually be multiquoting! Cool. IP43 always like hearing what you have to say.

Good to hear from you. Also like what you have to say. Taking care of our bodies what a concept. Are we maybe growing up??? Realizing we are not invincible anymore. I know it's about time for me. But have a long way to go to be really responsible for my body. Right now I am doing well on IP and stopped smoking a couple of months ago. One step at a time.

Right on! Same for me. Actually I feel very lucky that I am healthy. Have two sisters with medical issues, I am the one who abused my body the most and I luckily haven't had any medical issues yet......Knocking on wood
Good job quitting smoking! I picked up the habit when I started shift work about 8 years ago then had a boyfriend who smoked for years, and my husband smokes now too. It's so hard to quit when he still smokes! It's one of the things that we do together to just sit and take a break for a minute. The fact that I've always been dieting doesn't help either. I always say I'll quit once I lose weight. Ha. And here I sit I don't really enjoy it anymore just a bad habit that along with the bad eating habits HAS to stop

Well I caved and weighed myself this morning. Lol. Down 3 pounds in only 1 day! Yay! But I'm going to try REALLY hard to stay off the scale til next weekend. When the initial weight loss slows and starts to wobble a bit, I always get depressed. I think I might make my husband hide it for me. Either that or leave it at work.

My family get together went great last night! I didn't have any of the junk that was served and had a double protein shake, my veggies, and salad. I didn't have my chicken there and was going to skip it for the night but when we got home my husband made some stove top popcorn (which I love) for the FIrST time since I met him and on the FIRST day of my diet, he had a craving for popcorn lol. So I had to go ahead and make my chicken at 10:00 at night.

For the day that brings me to 4 protein shakes, 3 servings of vegetables, 2 salads, and the serving of chicken. I had to eyeball that cause my scale broke

I'm sure today will be easier since I'll get to be in the comfort of my own home with my own food!

I made a mocha by mixing my protein with a little cool water then adding hot coffee and Splenda this morning. Yum!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #89  
Reboot: 01/01/15

S/C/G: 167 / 151.0 / 125

Height: 5'3"

Good morning, everyone!

I, too, tend to be a lurker. I tried posting often for awhile, but decided to sit back and live through the regulars on here. It's sort of like my own personal soap opera minus the bon bons.

Anyway, I just had to share that this morning I saw the scale drop below 140. This is huge for me, as after losing lots of baby weight, I truly hit a 19-week plateau over the summer. A REAL ONE. Not a "Oh, the scale hasn't moved in a week! What do I do?!" I was eating 1200 calories, working out five days a week, sometimes twice a day, running miles and miles. The scale and inches didn't move... for 19 weeks. I literally finished once of my circuit training group classes in tears because I was so frustrated on that measurment day.

Anyway, I had ben hovering around 153-156 for months. Found IP and started up (no coach/clinic, all researched on my own, using alternatives and some IP products) at the first of December. Around the holidays, I fell of the wagon while we were visiting family. Not bad, just enough to make it harder to get back OP when I got home. But I did, and the scale thanked me.

Then... I would find myself doing a few cheats here and there. Tastes. Nibbles. Part of my kiddos PBJ crusts. The scale didn't seems to mind, so of course I belived that I could include those and still be successful.

So I did.

My cheats kept getting a little worse and a little worse. When I would have a bad cheat, I would think to myself, "Well, I guess I'll go ahead and make it realy bad and then be perfect starting tomorrow." That never really happened. The end of January was tough. I saw my weight creep up, and knowing it wasn't actual fat just made me realize it was actually worse - just bloating and glycogen storage from all the sugar/carbs I was eating. I couldn't get a handle on it.

I am going to phase off for our Spring Break vacation in mid-March. I am not at goal, but want to be able to make whole food choices while I'm there. I decided that the beginning of March I will move to my two weeks at Phase 3 and that will lead me right into our trip for 'maintainence' for a week. That gave me motivation to really do well during February. And I have.

But... watching the scale move quickly down (I am a daily weigher, and can do so analytically, so I'm okay with it) has been an eye-opener about those little cheats here and there. My body is responding perfectly now being OP (I do include a little more straight fat right now, and my body seems to appreciate that) and it has been amazing to see the journey in these short months. I have not seen the 130s in who knows how long (certainly not since I was pregnant with my first kiddo almost seven years ago) so this is emotional, just like those reaching onederland!

I really don't care who cheats with what on their own diet journey. I sometimes feel like people post about their cheats to get the "oh, it's okay, get back up and start anew!" pat-on-the-back. I wonder if that just makes it easier for them to slip backwards the next time... and the next time. But it's their journey.

Some of us have very real drives for needing to do this, needing to finish this, and needing to do it as quickly as possible. Some of us maybe don't have that drive. If they feel like they are doing the best they can, and are okay with spreading it out longer than necessary, then they should do what works for them. It's their journey.

I personally love the 'tough-love' AT TIMES. It just gives me that reminder that this isn't forever - that the real test comes with maintenance. I don't belive we'll see some of these tough-lovers back saying, "ack! I lost it all and gained it back... and then some!!". They will be continuing into Maintenance Vol. 3500!

Anyway... my scale today brough a big smile to me face. Today is a huge test - snowboarding all day with my family. We can't take all our littles out at the same time, so we hunker down in the lodge and take turns getting runs in. Spending lots of time sitting at the table with my kids snacking and eating has been the hardest on this journey, and these are my mess-up days! I am determined not to blow my streak, as I want to see 138 tomorrow morning!

Have a great day!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #90  
Restart 3/1/15

S/C/G: 307.4/270/200

Hi everyone been off the boards for a week. Just got power, etc where I live in Mass after the storm. I can say you dont want to drink water when you are cold. The whole week was a wash out for me trying to stay on IP without power & heat. The good thing is I only gained 1/2 a pound. Today is a new day an back on track. I see I have a lot of reading to do on the boards but glad to be back.. =)
Closed Thread