Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/191/140

Height: 5'5

Default Slow weight loss after a quick results in the beginning

I've been on IP for 2 months now and at first the weight was coming off very quickly- 4#s a week...now its only 1-2, if that. I still have 54#s to go. Should the weight loss each week decrease this much when I still have 50 to go? I am following the program exactly as my doctor told me to. Did anyone else have trouble losing weight after a while ? It's starting to discourage me and no want to continue..HELP !

JLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #2  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Don't get discouraged...look at posts by some of the people who have been here the longest. Many of them have their weekly WI's in their signature line like I do...you'll see that there are some weeks we lose a lot and some weeks people have even gained a bit but overall, the trend is a downward one. Stick with it and you'll lose it! I find keeping track of my loss in my signature helps me keep perspective when the voice in my head insists that it's not working...I can see that it is! Hang in there!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLauren View Post
I've been on IP for 2 months now and at first the weight was coming off very quickly- 4#s a week...now its only 1-2, if that. I still have 54#s to go. Should the weight loss each week decrease this much when I still have 50 to go? I am following the program exactly as my doctor told me to. Did anyone else have trouble losing weight after a while ? It's starting to discourage me and no want to continue..HELP !

If I did my math correctly you are losing an average of 2.375 pounds a week (19 lbs / 8 weeks) A healthy weight lost is 1-3 so you are going about it the right way. I you look at my signature line you'll see that mine is about 2 lbs a week. Keep strong and set mini goals for yourself. It helps.
A1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #4  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Oh yeah...I forgot about mini goals! That helps so much! My next mini goal is to reach 162.0 cause that will mean 25 lbs lost! Then it'll prolly be 159 cause that will mean the first time below 160 in so many years!! So try that see if it helps you too!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #5  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

JLauren -
Remember, some weeks you may not see any or little change on the scale, but you will be losing inches or your body can be reconfiguring it's shape. Are your clothes feeling looser? Are you less tired/winded walking up those stairs that used to be really difficult? Do you have more energy? Do you feel like those carb loaded foods don't have control over you any longer? Look for other positive changes that are happening in your life since you've started IP.

Try - I mean REALLY try to not get boggled down by what the scale says. I know it's tough, but what is important is that the numbers on the scale are going the correct direction - down! *The weight we put on didn't happen overnight, nor will the weight we take off. It just takes time and it happens at different speeds for different people for many different reasons. As Americans, I feel we live in a society of "wanting it NOW!" And unfortunately, life just doesn't always happen that way. So, try to look at this as a journey - not a race, and most importantly ENJOY the RIDE! Do yourself a huge favor.... try not to do the "If I lose x pounds/week, then I should weigh this amount by this date" thought process. When we set timelines for weight loss, we very well may be disappointed if we don't reach that number by such and such date. Instead, just choose to celebrate hitting your goal, WHEN you actually hit it. Whatever day on the calendar it ends up being will be a GREAT day, right?

Hang in there - you CAN do it! This 3FC site is a testament to that. Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #6  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Also, someone pointed out that the first place you put it on is the last place it will come off. My GUT is still looking pretty "jelly belly" to me, but I know I'm losing -- in my toes, fingers, face.... Oh great, now I'll be known as "skinny toes" ... You are losing in places you can't even tell -- and most importantly, those places might be around your heart and around your liver... you get the point!
IP stopped advertising the "3-5 lb a week" claim for a reason. The start is GREAT but the rest will just be a journey, with the occasional visit from the "whoosh wench" (I don't call her a fairy anymore!! LOL) to give you a bit o' a boost.

Last edited by IP43; 02-11-2013 at 04:14 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/191/140

Height: 5'5

Thanks for all the support everyone..you're all right.it's not going to happen overnight or as quickly as I want. It took years to put on this weight and its not going to just come off in a few short months... I have noticed the weight loss in areas like my face and fingers (im actually down a ring size!).

As long as the numbers go down I'll be happy regardless of how long it may take to reach my long term goal . The mini goals are definitely a good idea. Thanks again everyone!

...some times all we need is a little reinforcement from others to help us see clearly again and keep going.
JLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #8  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Oh, now I gotta break into song for you Lauren! "I can see clearly now the rain is gone.... I can see all obstacles in my way... Gone are the dark clouds (of all the insecurities about my weight) ... It's gonna be a bright, bright, bright, sunshiny day!"
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Height: 5'5"

Yep, another approximately 2 lb a weeker here too. I love setting mini-goals for myself, it's really helped. Keep going, it WILL come off!
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #10  

Same here- 2lbs a week for the past couple months. Slow and steady wins the race. Good advice about mini goals- it makes it much easier.
markhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #11  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Don't see it as a failure. My GP pointed out to me today that my resting metabolic rate is about 1100 calories per day, and my current caloric input on IP is about 700-800 calories per day. With a ~300 calorie deficit (maybe more if I move around a bit), it's reasonable to lose less than a pound per week. It can be more than that because ketosis has a diuretic effect, but it's moving in the right direction! So there is no "only." Stick to it, and you'll get there.

I don't think it's particularly helpful for IP to say typical loss is X pounds per week. Some of us have slower metabolisms, so it might take a little longer. It's still far superior to any other plan I've done.
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/202/150

Height: 5'3

I've had two weeks with a 2lb weight loss and it is very discouraging after a 5 or 6lb loss. But remember this, any other time wouldn't you be ecstatic to lose 2lb?? I try to look at it that way, 2 lbs is 2 lbs!! You are doing awesome!
jmari816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Two important things to consider:
1. Remember that you are getting healthier every day, your cholesterol could be improving, better triglycerides, etc. Your pancreas is getting a well deserved rest too. So much is happening that is beyond the scale.
2. You are learning (or will soon learn) how to eat in a way that serves your highest good. If you go back to eating as you did before IP, you will gain all your weight back. This is ideally a one way journey and not a round trip.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote