Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 165/137.2/140

Height: 5ft 6in

Quote:
Originally Posted by thin4me View Post
Good morning Melissa

We are a balmy -9.2!!!! Such a change from -40

Today is my "weekend" as we work 4 - 10 hour days. Think I'll have to head to our local Rexall and see if they have any Protidiet products as some people have mentioned, but even though it is nicer outside I still want to hibernate
-9.2, that's almost like summer!!
MelissaM39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 130/119/102

Height: 5'1

thanks all for the advice! I will see how I feel and take it from there.

and thin that is still cold!!! but I guess warming up some
maryann21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Hey guys, I just ordered

* Proti-Thin Protein Cookie - Spice (14/Box, 2 Cookies/Packet) (The vanilla ones are tasty too)

And they reminded me of graham crackers!!! (which I like so it's a good thing).

I also got this:

*Weight Loss Systems Pudding - Creamy Cheesecake (7/Box)

I'm going to crush a spice cookie and layer it on top of the cheesecake for dessert tonight!!! I'm excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!

Just wanted to share!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #34  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Maggie - sounds so yummie!!! Peanut butter and cheesecake are my only 2 sweets' weaknesses! Bet you mixing in some pb2 would be good too

So ... I was reading another post about coconut oil. Anyone else read it? Does anyone use it? I started using coconut flour when I did P3 before and like it for pancakes ... I have to say I have broken the rules using Olive Oil and heating it too much. I'm thinking of switching ..

any thoughts?
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #35  

Angie, I read that post earlier today and I have to say I found it quite interesting. Anything that I come across that mentions "thyroid" makes my ears perk up! Anywho... I think I'm going to buy some this weekend and try it out, I figure there can't be any harm in it, right????

I can honestly say that I didn't know that you weren't supposed to heat up olive oil... I've been doing that for years. I guess I need the coconut oil to help recover the years that I may have lost by doing that!!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #36  

Also, Maggie, that dessert you're having tonight sounds delish!! I'm a bit jealous, actually more than a bit!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
So ... I was reading another post about coconut oil. Anyone else read it? Does anyone use it? I started using coconut flour when I did P3 before and like it for pancakes ... I have to say I have broken the rules using Olive Oil and heating it too much. I'm thinking of switching ..

any thoughts?
I heat EVOO all the time. My coach said it was fine. I put two tsp in a pan and practically "fry" tofu. It gets an awesome crispiness to it. I've done it all the time! Think of when you roast veggies. They are at high temps and the veggies come out crisp. Same concept.

Is this what type of "heating" you're referring to or did I miss the boat?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #38  

According to the comments in the Coconut Oil thread, if you heat olive oil it "causes free radicals".

Not knowing what free radicals are, I did what any smart girl would do and I googled it!! "Free radicals are molecules responsible for aging and tissue damage."
Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #39  
Keeping it real!

Melissa - I'm thinking it can't hurt either. I'm going to pick some up after work and use it to make the chimi's tomorrow for my husband....

Maggie - I've been doing it for years but I keep reading that we shouldn't be doing it .... I'm hearing that getting my steak really crispy on the outside (basically rare inside!) on the grill is bad too ... So no, you didn't miss the boat - that's what I meant, frying.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 130/119/102

Height: 5'1

I use EVOO all the time when cooking so I don't think its a problem
maryann21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post
Melissa - I'm thinking it can't hurt either. I'm going to pick some up after work and use it to make the chimi's tomorrow for my husband....

Maggie - I've been doing it for years but I keep reading that we shouldn't be doing it .... I'm hearing that getting my steak really crispy on the outside (basically rare inside!) on the grill is bad too ... So no, you didn't miss the boat - that's what I meant, frying.
I consider frying in evoo a.ok! I think if you get something to Carmelize it can be "bad". I use to pan sauté scallops and they would Carmelize and I was told not to do that. And baked turnip fries and cabbage can Carmelize too...
I still do it though .

My dh made a chimichurri sauce... I'm loving it! What is just churri?

Last edited by New Englander; 02-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaM39 View Post
According to the comments in the Coconut Oil thread, if you heat olive oil it "causes free radicals".

Not knowing what free radicals are, I did what any smart girl would do and I googled it!! "Free radicals are molecules responsible for aging and tissue damage."
Smart cookie. Now how do you say that in Canadian? Lol
Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #43  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Smart cookie. Now how do you say that in Canadian? Lol
Can't wait to hear this!

I have no clue what that sauce is your DH made but it sounds good!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #44  
Keeping it real!

Ok ladies - I'm off for the day .. going to take the kitty to the vet to make sure all is ok.

I'm not usually on over the weekend so have a good one everybody and stay warm 'eh!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #45  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

One of the problems with cooking with EVOO is the EV part. You typically pay lots more for the "extra virgin" which is the first squeeze and contains the most flavor. Then you heat it up in a pan and it starts to break down and you loose the special flavors that makes the extra virgin worth it's price. So if you are going to fry with it, don't bother buying the extra virgin quality, just buy regular ol' olive oil.

That being said, grape seed oil, which is OP, can get to much higher temperatures than olive oil and has some other qualities too that make it a better choice for frying. I think you use less of it as well as less of it gets absorbed into the food. So you might consider using grape seed oil instead of olive oil for frying, and save your EVOO for direct use on salads and such.

I have a big tub of coconut oil from when I had house guests. It is super expensive. Not sure why...
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote