Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/181/169

Height: 5'5

Default Coconut Oil

Hello!

I think I've seen this asked before but searched and can't find under the IP forum.

Is coconut oil an ok option for us to cook with? I always make sure to get my proper olive oil portion but have heard so much re: coconut oil.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Ilovesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:55 PM   #2  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesugar View Post
Hello!

I think I've seen this asked before but searched and can't find under the IP forum.

Is coconut oil an ok option for us to cook with? I always make sure to get my proper olive oil portion but have heard so much re: coconut oil.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Only olive oil and grapeseed oil are on the sheet, so no, coconut oil is not allowed.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #3  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

However, if you do alternatives, I know Rainbow uses it and had some great info on it because you can cook at a much higher temperature than with olive oil. She (?) had a great link to a site with info on coconut oil and it was a very interesting read. I keep thinking about "after" so I'm always interested to learn new things

Last edited by IP43; 01-31-2013 at 07:05 PM.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #4  

Thank you both!

Bubbleblower- I know it's not on the sheet but I remember seeing some people discuss it on here. I also, know sesame oil isn't allowed but some use that too.

Ip43- that may be what I saw at some point. I'd love to hear more from rainbow or whomever has good info.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #5  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesugar View Post
Thank you both!

Bubbleblower- I know it's not on the sheet but I remember seeing some people discuss it on here. I also, know sesame oil isn't allowed but some use that too.

Ip43- that may be what I saw at some point. I'd love to hear more from rainbow or whomever has good info.
Yeah, wondered as I typed my response if perhaps there was an exception since you'd be using it for cooking (kind of the way that people say not to count the oil you're cooking with at all). I'd be interested to hear what others say as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

I use coconut oil (I also use alternatives) and have found it helpful in a few ways. Probably most obvious is that my memory has gotten a lot better after about 6 weeks of using it. I don't have any formal memory disorders but am menopausal, so always chalked up the lack of the correct word to that - it was just on the tip of my tongue but couldn't always retrieve it.

Here's some info from the Dr Oz website. He doesn't mention memory, other websites providing coconut oil do.

Added to Articles on Mon 10/29/2012 Conventional thought used to consider fats like coconut oil to be unhealthy and contribute to heart disease. We now know that this isn’t true. In fact, coconut oil is actually a heart healthy food that can keep your body running smoother in a few different ways

What are the health benefits of coconut oil?

Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus, and candida.

Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar, for coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

Can coconut oil reduce cholesterol?

Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid, a type of MCT. It has been shown that lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. Coconut oil lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion to pregnenolone, a molecule that is a precursor to many of the hormones our bodies need. Coconut can help restore normal thyroid function. When the thyroid does not function optimally, it can contribute to higher levels of bad cholesterol.

How does coconut help keep weight balanced?

Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy. One 2009 study found that women who consumed 30 milliliters (about 2 tablespoons) of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks not only did not gain more weight, but actually had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, a type of fat that is difficult to lose, and contributes to more heart problems.

Is it true coconut can help with aging?

The oils found in the coconut have a positive antioxidant action in the body. This means they help our body stop the damage to other healthy fats and tissues in our body. Oxidation is considered a major contributor to cardiovascular problems and skin aging. Coconut oil can actually help our bodies reduce the need for antioxidant intake.

Is coconut oil good for my skin and hair?

We tell our patients that from the time of infancy through the senior years, coconut oil is a wonderful moisturizer for skin and hair. It has good amounts of the antioxidant vitamin E, which is very protective. If you are using on the skin regularly, it is best to try to find an organic coconut oil, to reduce the absorption of toxins and pesticides through your skin.

We even recommend new parents massage infants with coconut oil after a bath. One 2005 study of 120 babies showed that a coconut oil massage is safe and has health benefits.

How can I use coconut oil?

Coconut oil works in both baked goods like zucchini and banana bread and with vegetables. It is especially tasteful when paired with bitter greens like kale. You can use it as part of the onion and garlic sauté, where it offers a surprisingly different and pleasant full-bodied taste. It is also a wonderful addition to oatmeal to make it even creamier, while staying healthy.

Coconut oil can withstand the heat – making it a better cooking option.

Having healthy fats and plenty of protein is a wonderful way to control blood sugar, and stave off mood disorders and depressive feelings.
Does coconut oil have side effects?

The literature suggests that coconut oil is quite safe to take in reasonable amounts. While no formal study has figured out the exact amount for optimal benefit, it appears one to two tablespoons a day can be beneficial.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #7  

CO was a non-negotiable for me when I started. My coach allows it (or at least tolerates it)

I use both refined (doesn't smell/taste like coconut) and refined (smells/tastes like coconut).

There is TONS of info on the net re: health benefits of CO. You can find some here: http://coconutoil.com/

I NEVER cook with olive oil. Heating it causes free radicals. I use a high quality EVOO for drizzling on salad.

I read a book a few years back that was HIGHLY recommended by a health care practitioner called Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. Learn enough about it & you KNOW that it really IS the (refined) carbs causing all the health problems, not the fats (not even saturated fats).

Right now, I needed something like IP to get me back in control of food, because my eating was out of control. So for the time being, I stick very close to the IP guidelines & only use amounts on the sheet.

The other thing about CO: If you read Dr Tran Tien's books, you see that he doesn't specify WHICH oil. My thought is that IP may have specified to keep it simple. Either way, CO is something I'm using for the health benefits. I didn't want to use products with gluten or soy but I did for the first 5.5 months on this plan. I have now cut them out due to changes in thyroid health (both gluten and soy avoidance are recommended by my natural health practitioner for anyone with thyroid issues)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #8  
Started IP 12/6/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

The other thing about CO: If you read Dr Tran Tien's books, you see that he doesn't specify WHICH oil. My thought is that IP may have specified to keep it simple.
Interesting! Thanks for all the info. Sounds like something I should consider adding to the diet.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #9  

Thank you for all this info!

My concern is that I'm heating my evoo too high and am not interested in the free radicals that could be being released! I'm going to get my coaches opinion on this tomorrow morning at weigh in but think I may switch either way.

Thanks again!!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

I am with Lisa on this. My clinic as well as my dads both reccommend coconut oil and no cooking with olive oil, unless it is low heat or not cooked long. I just use olive oil uncooked so far and cook with coconut oil. Its yummy!
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I use it
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

And I might be rubbing it all over my hair soon since all these conversations about IP and hair loss.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/192/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
CO was a non-negotiable for me when I started. My coach allows it (or at least tolerates it)

I use both refined (doesn't smell/taste like coconut) and refined (smells/tastes like coconut).

There is TONS of info on the net re: health benefits of CO. You can find some here: http://coconutoil.com/

I NEVER cook with olive oil. Heating it causes free radicals. I use a high quality EVOO for drizzling on salad.

I read a book a few years back that was HIGHLY recommended by a health care practitioner called Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. Learn enough about it & you KNOW that it really IS the (refined) carbs causing all the health problems, not the fats (not even saturated fats).

Right now, I needed something like IP to get me back in control of food, because my eating was out of control. So for the time being, I stick very close to the IP guidelines & only use amounts on the sheet.

The other thing about CO: If you read Dr Tran Tien's books, you see that he doesn't specify WHICH oil. My thought is that IP may have specified to keep it simple. Either way, CO is something I'm using for the health benefits. I didn't want to use products with gluten or soy but I did for the first 5.5 months on this plan. I have now cut them out due to changes in thyroid health (both gluten and soy avoidance are recommended by my natural health practitioner for anyone with thyroid issues)
Hi Lisa...do you also avoid dairy? My daughter has hashis and her practioner also advised not to use dairy. She is interested in the IP protocol but wasn't sure she could do the program with her restrictions of gluten, soy and dairy. Do you post your meals in the what are you eating thread? if so, I will have her check out your posts and model what you are doing. You look wonderful.
Roni Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #14  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni Lee View Post
Hi Lisa...do you also avoid dairy? My daughter has hashis and her practioner also advised not to use dairy. She is interested in the IP protocol but wasn't sure she could do the program with her restrictions of gluten, soy and dairy. Do you post your meals in the what are you eating thread? if so, I will have her check out your posts and model what you are doing. You look wonderful.
I have hashi's as well - you do not have to avoid dairy unless you have a lactose allergy. But you DO have to avoid having any dairy products (or calcium supplements) within 4 hours of taking your Synthroid, as the calcium prevents your body from properly absorbing the synthroid. I am actually switching when I take my synthroid from morning to bedtime because I plan on having dairy at breakfast once I am in Phase 3.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni Lee View Post
Thanks.
There is no dairy (milk, cheese, etc) allowed on IP (except for that 1 oz of skim milk you can put in your coffee) but whey protein is made from milk. I've not been asked to avoid dairy

My list of IP products I CAN have is pretty short. And I didn't completely cut out soy products at this point, just soy protein. There is still soy lecithin in many of the ones I'm allowing at this point.

I do post what I'm eating, either in the food thread or on MFP. Right now you'd still find some soy & wheat b/c I had products to use up. Scaling back til they're gone & making sure not all 3 packets every day have soy and/or gluten

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-31-2013 at 10:39 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote