Coconut Oil

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: I use coconut oil (I also use alternatives) and have found it helpful in a few ways. Probably most obvious is that my memory has gotten a lot better after about 6 weeks of using it. I don't have any formal memory disorders but am menopausal, so always chalked up the lack of the correct word to that - it was just on the tip of my tongue but couldn't always retrieve it.

Here's some info from the Dr Oz website. He doesn't mention memory, other websites providing coconut oil do.

Added to Articles on Mon 10/29/2012 Conventional thought used to consider fats like coconut oil to be unhealthy and contribute to heart disease. We now know that this isn’t true. In fact, coconut oil is actually a heart healthy food that can keep your body running smoother in a few different ways

What are the health benefits of coconut oil?

Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus, and candida.

Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar, for coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

Can coconut oil reduce cholesterol?

Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid, a type of MCT. It has been shown that lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. Coconut oil lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion to pregnenolone, a molecule that is a precursor to many of the hormones our bodies need. Coconut can help restore normal thyroid function. When the thyroid does not function optimally, it can contribute to higher levels of bad cholesterol.

How does coconut help keep weight balanced?

Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy. One 2009 study found that women who consumed 30 milliliters (about 2 tablespoons) of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks not only did not gain more weight, but actually had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, a type of fat that is difficult to lose, and contributes to more heart problems.

Is it true coconut can help with aging?

The oils found in the coconut have a positive antioxidant action in the body. This means they help our body stop the damage to other healthy fats and tissues in our body. Oxidation is considered a major contributor to cardiovascular problems and skin aging. Coconut oil can actually help our bodies reduce the need for antioxidant intake.

Is coconut oil good for my skin and hair?

We tell our patients that from the time of infancy through the senior years, coconut oil is a wonderful moisturizer for skin and hair. It has good amounts of the antioxidant vitamin E, which is very protective. If you are using on the skin regularly, it is best to try to find an organic coconut oil, to reduce the absorption of toxins and pesticides through your skin.

We even recommend new parents massage infants with coconut oil after a bath. One 2005 study of 120 babies showed that a coconut oil massage is safe and has health benefits.

How can I use coconut oil?

Coconut oil works in both baked goods like zucchini and banana bread and with vegetables. It is especially tasteful when paired with bitter greens like kale. You can use it as part of the onion and garlic sauté, where it offers a surprisingly different and pleasant full-bodied taste. It is also a wonderful addition to oatmeal to make it even creamier, while staying healthy.

Coconut oil can withstand the heat – making it a better cooking option.

Having healthy fats and plenty of protein is a wonderful way to control blood sugar, and stave off mood disorders and depressive feelings.
    Does coconut oil have side effects?

The literature suggests that coconut oil is quite safe to take in reasonable amounts. While no formal study has figured out the exact amount for optimal benefit, it appears one to two tablespoons a day can be beneficial.
    Not on any plan but I have read all of that previously about coconut oil. I also read it speeds metabolism upto 24 hours. I eat it every so often, do hair treatments, and use it as lotion. I think I had candida when I started. I also take to soothe sore throats. And I use it for oil pulling. If done in the morning my teeth tend to stain less and flossing is easier. I think that helped with my gum problems. It's great stuff.
  • Quote: I have hashi's as well - you do not have to avoid dairy unless you have a lactose allergy. But you DO have to avoid having any dairy products (or calcium supplements) within 4 hours of taking your Synthroid, as the calcium prevents your body from properly absorbing the synthroid. I am actually switching when I take my synthroid from morning to bedtime because I plan on having dairy at breakfast once I am in Phase 3.
    I think her Doctor recommended the no dairy because she has nodules on her thyroid that they are watching and testing regularly. I think the dairy may contribute to growth. Have you heard this? Sorry you also have Hashi's but you are such a wealth of information your input could be very helpful with the Hashi's. Her practitioner has been great but she seems to get a lot of her information from Thyroid Sexy on facebook.
  • Hello everyone,

I was surprised to see this thread today, it is such a coincidence because, yesterday while shopping at Costco, I saw a reasonably priced box of coconut oil, it looked more like a white paste rather than oil, I look at the box and I hesitated whether I should take it or not, I remembered that Rainbow uses it in her recipes, but was not sure if it was allowed on IP or not, I ended up not buying it and thought to myself that today I will ask the question concerning it in the daily thread or maybe pm Rainbow and here I am finding a thread about it!

Thank you everybody for all the answers, you are all amazing!
  • Coconut oil is more solid until the temps get warmer and then Will become liquid. I'd look up exact temps but I'm on my phone.
  • I think I'll try it on my P3 morning bagel. I'm not crazy for coconut flavor, but it could be more of a negative reaction to the texture of the produce rather than the flavor that would be in the oil. I have a big tub of it left over from the visit from the grand kids. One boy has had skin problems from an early age, and his mom found that he does much better with some coconut oil in his bath. She also said her dad ate 2 tbsp every day and after a couple of month his toenail fungus went away.
  • Quote: I think her Doctor recommended the no dairy because she has nodules on her thyroid that they are watching and testing regularly. I think the dairy may contribute to growth. Have you heard this? Sorry you also have Hashi's but you are such a wealth of information your input could be very helpful with the Hashi's. Her practitioner has been great but she seems to get a lot of her information from Thyroid Sexy on facebook.
    I've done some reading on Thyroid.org (the American Thyroid Association) and the National Institute for Heath, and there is really very little linking dairy and aggravating thyroid issues, even thyroid cancer or nodules outside of having a food allergy (which if ignored can cause inflammation in your system, which can then aggravate goiter/thyroid disorder). I take everything on Thyroid Sexy with a big fat grain of salt
  • Quote: Not on any plan but I have read all of that previously about coconut oil. I also read it speeds metabolism upto 24 hours. I eat it every so often, do hair treatments, and use it as lotion. I think I had candida when I started. I also take to soothe sore throats. And I use it for oil pulling. If done in the morning my teeth tend to stain less and flossing is easier. I think that helped with my gum problems. It's great stuff.
    Like you, I started using CO a couple of years ago when I strongly suspected I had candida. I started reading about it's many benefits, and it's been one of my main oils since. I also use it in all of the ways you mention - it's great stuff.

Quote: I think I'll try it on my P3 morning bagel. I'm not crazy for coconut flavor, but it could be more of a negative reaction to the texture of the produce rather than the flavor that would be in the oil. I have a big tub of it left over from the visit from the grand kids. One boy has had skin problems from an early age, and his mom found that he does much better with some coconut oil in his bath. She also said her dad ate 2 tbsp every day and after a couple of month his toenail fungus went away.
    You can get varieties of co that no longer have that coconut flavor. It's caused by a variation in the processing. I did my research on co a while ago and have forgotten a lot of it, but I recall that it's important to get the cold-pressed varieties. Like your DIL's father, I believe it's helping me get rid of a stubborn toenail fungus I've had for 2-3 years now and which has been impervious to all other 'cures'. (I'm sure the low sugar diet of IP has helped a lot with that too). Ditto what I believe was a mild case of candida.

Coconut oil and EVOO are the only oils I use. That's been the case for almost 3 years now. I recall telling my coach when I first joined IP that I wasn't willing to give it up. She said it would be fine.

There are many good websites discussing the benefits of coconut oil - here's an article in The Huffington Post by Dr. Joseph Mercola which gives a good overview.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mer..._b_821453.html
  • Quote: Not on any plan but I have read all of that previously about coconut oil. I also read it speeds metabolism upto 24 hours. I eat it every so often, do hair treatments, and use it as lotion. I think I had candida when I started. I also take to soothe sore throats. And I use it for oil pulling. If done in the morning my teeth tend to stain less and flossing is easier. I think that helped with my gum problems. It's great stuff.
    Hmmm, I'm interestedin oil pulling...maybe I'll try it with co.

Evepet,
    I also get Dr. Mercola's daily email - always something interesting. Thanks for that link!
  • Quote: Hmmm, I'm interestedin oil pulling...maybe I'll try it with co.

Evepet,
    I also get Dr. Mercola's daily email - always something interesting. Thanks for that link!
    Yes, there's always something interesting in Dr. Mercola's updates.
  • Quote:
    I use both refined (doesn't smell/taste like coconut) and refined (smells/tastes like coconut).
    Thanks for the info Lisa. Is the above a typo? You have refined listed for both doesn't smell/taste and does smell/taste. The one I have doesn't smell or taste like coconut but I'm not at home so I don't know which it is but would like to find the other one because I love the coconut taste.

I also use coconut oil for cooking. In my actifry it takes about 10 seconds to liquify and then I throw in the rest of my ingredients. I tend to use grapeseed oil if I'm roasting in the oven because I can use a spray bottom to apply it evenly to my veggies.
  • Curious if you could combine some CO with chocolate drink powder for instance and make some kind of chocolate bark? Assuming no more than 2 teaspoons per serving.
  • Quote: CO was a non-negotiable for me when I started. My coach allows it (or at least tolerates it)

I use both refined (doesn't smell/taste like coconut) and refined (smells/tastes like coconut).

There is TONS of info on the net re: health benefits of CO. You can find some here: http://coconutoil.com/

I NEVER cook with olive oil. Heating it causes free radicals. I use a high quality EVOO for drizzling on salad.

I read a book a few years back that was HIGHLY recommended by a health care practitioner called Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill. Learn enough about it & you KNOW that it really IS the (refined) carbs causing all the health problems, not the fats (not even saturated fats).

Right now, I needed something like IP to get me back in control of food, because my eating was out of control. So for the time being, I stick very close to the IP guidelines & only use amounts on the sheet.

The other thing about CO: If you read Dr Tran Tien's books, you see that he doesn't specify WHICH oil. My thought is that IP may have specified to keep it simple. Either way, CO is something I'm using for the health benefits. I didn't want to use products with gluten or soy but I did for the first 5.5 months on this plan. I have now cut them out due to changes in thyroid health (both gluten and soy avoidance are recommended by my natural health practitioner for anyone with thyroid issues)
    Do you use the refined so that it doesn't have the coconut flavor? I love coconut oil (I use it for cooking and on my skin), but I've always stayed away from the refined. There are some dishes though that I don't WANT the coconut flavor in.
  • Quote: Hmmm, I'm interestedin oil pulling...maybe I'll try it with co.

Evepet,
    Cool let me know what changes u notice! I had gingivitis 3 times. Granted I was only flossing 3 times a week then, but this last dentist appointment I was complemented by the dentist and 3 others! Plus my tongue is pink again.
  • I had to look up Oil Pulling - never heard of it but might just try it! The last time I was at the grocery store, I was looking at the Coconut Oil because I remembered it was used in some of the IP recipes. Another lady was getting some and told me it is a miracle product - cures everything. I guess I need to go get some.
  • I tried to do the oil pulling thing tonight. Ugh! I started salivating and couldn't keep from swallowing. It must take practice!