Chicken and Beef marinades with no oil?

• Hi! I am new to the diet and have decided to use my two teaspoons a day of olive oil as a dressing on my bucket of salad during lunch.

This leaves me with the following question! Anyone got any good marinades for chicken and steak that do not require the use of oil or any other substance that is not tolerable for the IP Phase I Diet?
  • Welcome!

I use rubs. I founds recipes by googling.
    Have you tried the WF dressings?
    Otherwise, Google has been my friend. Low carb, non-fat marinades might be your search

Also, the 2 tsp oil is MEANT to go directly on your food. Many here have found that they can still use a little oil in cooking, as well.
  • Yes I tried WF and found them way to sweet for my liking. I even tried to tweak them with spices and just can not get past the taste.

I found ton's of recipes that say phase 1-4 using google but they all seem to be based on using oil and not just the 2 teaspoons. Will look into the Rub idea thanks!

Luckily I have a cupboard full of various flavors of Mrs Dash. Will use that for the time being. I have just been a heavy marinade user over the years. Love that soaked in taste!
  • Quote: Yes I tried WF and found them way to sweet for my liking. I even tried to tweak them with spices and just can not get past the taste.

I found ton's of recipes that say phase 1-4 using google but they all seem to be based on using oil and not just the 2 teaspoons. Will look into the Rub idea thanks!

Luckily I have a cupboard full of various flavors of Mrs Dash. Will use that for the time being. I have just been a heavy marinade user over the years. Love that soaked in taste!
    Don't be afraid of a little oil in the marinade. It doesn't all end up in the food, which is why people have found they STILL need to add oil directly to food even if they cook with it.

I HEAR you on the sweet. I prefer savory to sweet, myself.
  • I came up with this while trying to make a teriyaki marinade. I mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, some Walden Farms maple syrup and ground ginger. I didn't measure anything, but the main ingredient is the soy sauce. I marinate my chicken in it for about half an hour or an hour. Just make sure the soy sauce is 0 carbs, 0 fat and 0 sugar. The Walden Farms syrup is pretty good, their best-tasting product in my opinion, and I often use it for a sweetener in marinades, stiry-fry, etc.
  • Quote: I came up with this while trying to make a teriyaki marinade. I mix soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, some Walden Farms maple syrup and ground ginger. I didn't measure anything, but the main ingredient is the soy sauce. I marinate my chicken in it for about half an hour or an hour. Just make sure the soy sauce is 0 carbs, 0 fat and 0 sugar. The Walden Farms syrup is pretty good, their best-tasting product in my opinion, and I often use it for a sweetener in marinades, stiry-fry, etc.
    That sounds like a winner! Teriyaki was my favorite thanks!
  • For steaks my favorite is lemon, garlic, sea salt & fresh ground pepper.
  • WE use all kinds of dry rubs and the soy sauce and ginger is what I'm using tonight too. Garlic and onion powder with a little red pepper etc. I do use a little EVO when I grill because it really doesn't go into the daily total but Im careful as to how much I use.
  • Quote: Yes I tried WF and found them way to sweet for my liking. I even tried to tweak them with spices and just can not get past the taste.

Re the WF salad dressings: You might try adding a dash of apple cider vinegar to the WF dressing. I do that frequently to both the Italian and Thousand Island dressings and like the taste. If it seems too vinegary, add a small sprinkle of stevia to it. I also add some acv and extra dijon mustard to the WF dijon dressing, and it gives it a stronger flavor. You might also try combining 1 tbsp of a WF salad dressing with some Paul Newman's Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing.
  • I use Montreal Steak Spice on steaks and pork. No oil.

Welcome to the forum!
  • I've use oil in my marinades the entire time I've been on protocol. As others have said, most of it doesn't end up on the plate. I don't care for any of the WF products, so I end up just making my own marinade with oil and spices or my own dry rub.