Old 01-18-2013, 10:20 PM   #1  
I'm just saying...

S/C/G: 182.5/see tracker/147

Height: 5'10"

Default Help Please. Olive Oil Quantity

It's probably there somewhere, but the search didn't find it. I read in one place that you should have two teaspoons of olive oil per day, and in anther it said two tablespoons. Which is correct? Thanks!
Tuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #2  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuli View Post
It's probably there somewhere, but the search didn't find it. I read in one place that you should have two teaspoons of olive oil per day, and in anther it said two tablespoons. Which is correct? Thanks!
It's 2 Teaspoons
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #3  
I'm just saying...

Thanks!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 247/240.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Definitely 2 TEASPOONS/day of any healthy oil... Olive is good, many others too... not Veggie oil though!!
RNJen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNJen30 View Post
Definitely 2 TEASPOONS/day of any healthy oil... Olive is good, many others too... not Veggie oil though!!
On Ideal Protein it isn't ANY healthy oil, just Olive or Grapeseed.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #6  
I'm just saying...

Thank you for taking the time to respond and the data. I appreciate it.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247/240.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
On Ideal Protein it isn't ANY healthy oil, just Olive or Grapeseed.
oops! sorry.
RNJen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #8  

This is one area where I'm lucky to have a knowledgeable coach. I wasn't willing to give up healthier fats like coconut oil. She didnt have an issue. Only with amount. This is due to info I had gained way before learning about IP.

Olive oil is only used at our house cold (heated it causes free radical damage). CO (or animal fat) is our cooking oil. The sheet keeps things simple and straightforward but luckily some knowledgeable coaches who go to ongoing training know how to accurately answer questions such as this. It would have been a deal breaker for me from the get-go. That is how much I've read about CO.

My coach and her husband both follow a paleo/primal way of eating so I think she "got" me from the start. We've already discussed my longtime insulin sensitivity and my p3/p4 probably will look a bit different (lighter carb) when I get there. I DEFINITELY picked the right clinic. I did phone interviews. The one I use is NOT the closest to home but best for me.

Anyway, talk to your coach about oil if you have question and if you're lucky enough to have a knowledgeable coach.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
This is one area where I'm lucky to have a knowledgeable coach. I wasn't willing to give up healthier fats like coconut oil. She didnt have an issue. Only with amount. This is due to info I had gained way before learning about IP.

Olive oil is only used at our house cold (heated it causes free radical damage). CO (or animal fat) is our cooking oil. The sheet keeps things simple and straightforward but luckily some knowledgeable coaches who go to ongoing training know how to accurately answer questions such as this. It would have been a deal breaker for me from the get-go. That is how much I've read about CO.

My coach and her husband both follow a paleo/primal way of eating so I think she "got" me from the start. We've already discussed my longtime insulin sensitivity and my p3/p4 probably will look a bit different (lighter carb) when I get there. I DEFINITELY picked the right clinic. I did phone interviews. The one I use is NOT the closest to home but best for me.

Anyway, talk to your coach about oil if you have question and if you're lucky enough to have a knowledgeable coach.
I have to disagree. Coconut oil is higher in saturated fat than either Olive or grapeseed oil - and lacks a significant amount of the Omega 6 that is present in the other 2 oils. The Omega 6 fatty acids are the ones that aid in healthy brain function, and that is part of why the oil is necessary on IP. Coconut oil is absolutely healthier than many other oils out there - but it isn't nutritionally comparable to what is on the sheet.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I have to disagree. Coconut oil is higher in saturated fat than either Olive or grapeseed oil - and lacks a significant amount of the Omega 6 that is present in the other 2 oils. The Omega 6 fatty acids are the ones that aid in healthy brain function, and that is part of why the oil is necessary on IP. Coconut oil is absolutely healthier than many other oils out there - but it isn't nutritionally comparable to what is on the sheet.
CO contains medium chain fatty acid and has been shown to help with healthy brain function. Too much omega 6 contributes to inflammation. Most Americans have too much (from all the veggie oils in processed foods - our packets have it too) and it throws off the 3/6 ratios. I'm using both for different reasons. There is also a lot of newer research that sat fat was never as bad for us as they claimed (unless hydrogenated). Now they're learning the veg oils could be worse! I will agree, not nutritionally comparable to what is on the sheet, which is why I wanted to supplement with what I consider to be better oil, esp for cooking.

I read a great book some years back "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill", which was recommended by a chiropractor. Other studies I've seen since reading the book have supported knowledge gained there.

Like I said, the sheet keeps it simple for most people, but I'm glad there was a knowledgeable coach for me to work with who had some of the same background info I had. If there was going to be a modification, that was going to be it and it could have stopped me from doing IP altogether. The soy content almost did, too but I was willing to take a chance
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote