IP Daily Chat Jan 9th, 2013 - Page 9 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #121  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
It's heaven for dinner

Brown 8oz ground beef, drain and set aside.

Set up your salad: Lettuce, 1 cup chopped pickles, 1 cup other veggie of choice (I will mix tomato, onion and mushrom most of the time, but I use whatever I have on hand). Top with the ground beef, then drizzle with Walden Farms Thousand Island or Russian dressing. Eat. Have a private moment. Feel like you're cheating, know you aren't
ROFLMAO!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #122  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
So, why can't you have taco meat on a salad? I guess if ya want it, you'll make it work. I'm not trying to be harsh, just trying to be real. There are SO MANY RECIPES and ways to make foods we like there is no reason to eat stuff we have to choke down. But, again, if you're looking for an excuse to quit, don't look. Just do it.
How true! DH and I often used to make what we called Texas Tacos. Initially, we made them starting with a layer of chips on the bottom, and then added taco meat, cheese, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa, etc. Everything is serve in bowls and you build your dinner the way you like it. A few years ago, I replaced the chips in mine with a baked potato as the base. So, fast forward to last earlier this week ... DH wanted Texas Tacos. Initially, I said, "Sure, that'll work for me; I'll just leave off the potato and cheese and go easy on the tomatoes and salsa." Then I read the packet with the taco seasoning mix. Ummmmmm, no ... ain't gonna work. So, we did it the old fashioned way, making it with spices from scratch. Tasted better than with the packaged mix, IMNSHO!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #123  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
How true! DH and I often used to make what we called Texas Tacos. Initially, we made them starting with a layer of chips on the bottom, and then added taco meat, cheese, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, salsa, etc. Everything is serve in bowls and you build your dinner the way you like it. A few years ago, I replaced the chips in mine with a baked potato as the base. So, fast forward to last earlier this week ... DH wanted Texas Tacos. Initially, I said, "Sure, that'll work for me; I'll just leave off the potato and cheese and go easy on the tomatoes and salsa." Then I read the packet with the taco seasoning mix. Ummmmmm, no ... ain't gonna work. So, we did it the old fashioned way, making it with spices from scratch. Tasted better than with the packaged mix, IMNSHO!
It is SO much better to mix your own spices! I can't believe how many spice blends throw a little sugar or MSG in there. The internet is full of great homemade spice blend recipes, I save the spice containers when I run out and fill them with homemade blends.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
It is SO much better to mix your own spices! I can't believe how many spice blends throw a little sugar or MSG in there. The internet is full of great homemade spice blend recipes, I save the spice containers when I run out and fill them with homemade blends.
Speaking of spice blends, I made Morocan Meatballs last night and used this spice blend. DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!

Spice Blend:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #125  

Quote:
Me too! And rubs for meats, too!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #126  
Hard Working Newbie

S/C/G: 377/251/180

Good evening everyone. It's late and my head hurts today but I am checking in before shutting down for the night. It looks like there were a lot of fantastic WIs today. I know a few are also feeling frustrated. Something that helps me is the realization that for a very long time I did nothing to help my health. So now, even if it isn't 100%, it's progress and I deserve credit for that.

I had a great pasta salad with cauliflower and IP rotini with WF basalmic for lunch. It was delicious so I will for be doing that again. Dinner was a spicy Jicama Southwest Skillet recipe adapted from South Beach Diet. I was so whipped I didn't want to cook, but it is getting easier to make it happen. Those lazy pizza delivery days could have literally been the death of me!

NinjaNurse, I am using your spice list to add to my grocery list! Does anyone else have good combinations that they recommend?

Have a great night,

~Jenni
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #127  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselover View Post
I am so sad today. I just found out my Dad has a tumor behind his left eye. He is waiting for MRI results as I type this. These are the times that I hate living so far away from my family
I issued this earlier. My thoughts are with you and your family. Hoping for good news.

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-09-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Mooselover, so sorry to hear about your father. I hope he can get help.

Congrats to all the great WI today!!

Someone on a thread yesterday posted about making buffalo chicken meatballs (forgive me I forget who!). Tonight I decided to try my hand since I love buffalo sauce and had some ground chicken in the freezer. I minced celery, colored peppers, onion, fresh garlic and added salt, peppery, paprika, chili powder, cayenne, parsley and an egg. They were INSANELY GOOD!! I had done celery sticks on the side and made my own flavored dipping sauce. Just used two Tbs light sour cream as my milk allowance and added ranch seasonings. Delicious!!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #129  

S/C/G: 39% BMI now---goal 25% BMI..

Height: 5'10"

I'm a newbie here, finishing my 6th day OP and can honestly say I haven't cheated ONCE...mighty tempted, but willpower won! Going for WI tomorrow, but it's that TOM for me, so I imagine not much loss will show. My goal is to get to a healthy BMI of 25% because when asked what my goal was, I had no idea! I just want to be healthier and how many pounds to lose to get to a good percentage I had no clue. I have a scale at home and WI every morning first thing....watching the percentage of fat sslllloooowwwwlllyyy go down, but pounds not so much.
I am hungry a good percentage of the time...how long does that last?
Well, time for sleep...WI is bright and early...goodnight all...
Old 01-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #130  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselover View Post
Thank you so much everyone!!!! I appreciate your kind words and prayers. They think my Dads tumor can be treated with high dose steroids. They are still waiting on MRI results, but he had a steroid shot already and said he feels some relief. I will let you know more as I find out. They are in their vacation home for the winter, and my Mom is not comfortable driving around Las Vegas (small town Wyoming girl). She has been stuck at the hospital since yesterday afternoon and her phone is dead. My cousin who lives close by is going to go get my dads meds from the house and pick up my Mom so she can go home and get some sleep. My sister from Wyoming is going to fly there on Friday to help them out for a week
You are in my thoughts. Cherish your father!
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #131  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
Speaking of spice blends, I made Morocan Meatballs last night and used this spice blend. DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!

Spice Blend:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 tablespoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Sounds like you are Ninja cook as well as Ninjanurse!
Closed Thread