Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #1  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Why is it so hard to loss weight the closer to goal?

I feel like a Boxer that keeps slugging away at their opponent and he just won't fall down.
I have loss the majority of my weight and am now 10 lbs to goal but it is soo slow.
I first started my diet at the end of June and have been very pleased with my progress...but these last pounds are gruelling.
I keep plugging away, but it seems like these last pounds are cemented to my body.
I stayed OP over all the holidays without difficulty.... the weight loss Fairy should have rewarded me!
I was hoping to be in phase 2 by this time but I am afraid at the rate I'm going that won't happen till the end of March.
How many of you that were OP found this happening the closer you got to goal,and what did you do to jump start your losing again?
Thanks,
Roo2

Last edited by Roo2; 01-05-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I've posted this in a few other threads - it's a very simplified explanation, but it works.

Your body requires a certain number of calories just to function (without added activity). This is your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR).

Say you weigh 230lbs. Just as an illustration, let's say your body needs 1900 calories per day to function (this is NOT a real number, just something to illustrate). When you are on IP, you are eating about 900 calories per day. So your body is going to burn up enough fat to make 1000 calories to cover the difference.

As that person loses weight, their BMR is going to change. Less of you means less calories needed to function. So at 160lbs, you may only need 1200 calories a day to function. You are still eating the same 900 calories per day, but now your body only has to burn up enough fat to make 300 calories. Even if you eat on the low end of IP's calorie intake (600 calories), that's still only a 600 calorie difference your body will burn in fat.

A bigger difference in what you're eating versus what your body needs means faster fat loss. Smaller person, smaller needs - smaller fat loss.

Obviously there are MANY factors that can also influence BMR and fat conversion (muscle mass, hormonal issues, age, stress, etc etc), but this at least gives you a basic idea of what is going on.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #3  
babybat

Height: 5'7

My friend is losing weight too, she's very thin! and it took her 3 months to lose 4lbs. It's kind of depressing but when you're already thin you don't lose weight as fast because there's so little of you.

But I agree with the top post, if you cut back on calories, exercise, stick to it, etc you'll make it eventually. Good luck you can do it
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

My weight loss stalled (for a few weeks) back in November. I remembered reading that Wuv's weight loss totally stalled at one point, and her coach had switched her on P3 temporarily (I believe it was for a week), then back to P1, in an effort to shock her body into further weight loss. It worked for Wuv, so I tried it too. I went on P3 for about 5 days, then switched back to strict P1. It got my weight loss started again. I wouldn't recommend this unless you have totally stalled in weight loss for several weeks. If you have a coach, I'd recommend you discuss this possibility with her.

Last edited by evepet; 01-05-2013 at 04:24 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #5  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Thanks Guys, my weight loss has not stalled just slow, and I know it will take time but would like to move to the next phase but my body is not ready.
Thanks ,Roo2
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #6  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

A friend of mine went to phase 3 from phase 2 before she had lost 100% of what she wanted, she started losing 2-3 lbs a week where as before she was only losing 1, if that.

I am afaid that last 10-20 lbs is just going to drive me crazy
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

And it does not help when you are a shortie, so calorie requirement is so much less.

I stalked maile- she lost so much weight, truly on the lower end of her range, but she lost the last 10 in six weeks.

I know I cheat very small amounts, so from today again I am trying to be 100% OP.

I have started Bikram yoga.

I see scorbett having great success, but then I realize she is 100% OP, taller and a different person.

I am trying hard to be grateful for my losses. I have not been this weight for 14 years. When you are not grateful you dont appreciate what you have and may gain your weight back. So I am grateful.

Also I wonder if I suffer from body dismorphia, where my brain has not registered my loss. I dont see myself as skinny. Not looking for attention. With the weight loss I get enough, positive and negative. But I dont see myself as skinny. I am working on that.

So much of this mental. Hang in, we got this.

Here's my pic from closet shopping this evening.

Last edited by sonyainva; 01-08-2013 at 04:51 AM.
sonyainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Aw Sonya you look fantastic!! I wish I could wear white pants and not feel like an elephant

It's true that I am taller and a different body makeup - I am also probably not as ambitious as I could be with my goal weight - it is on the upper end of my height's healthy range. So yes, if I tried to push it to the lower end of that range (140's) I would probably be fighting off the last 10 pounds. As it is, I may lower my goal by another 5-10lbs but only because the weight is still coming off pretty fast so I don't think my body is pushed to its limits.

It's funny you talk about body dysmorphia - my husband and i were talking about that the other night. I had been looking at some pictures of myself from just a few days ago, and all I see are big fat thighs! My head knows that I am wearing pants now that I couldn't even get past my knees six months ago. I KNOW I am a LOT smaller than I was. But when I look in the mirror, I don't see it. It's awful the games our minds play on us.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Sonya - I think you look fantastic in that picture! Nothing wrong with wanting to go a little lower, if that's your thing - but you really do look great right now.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #10  

Thank you ladies, but for me it is about rocking a bikini and turning my apple shaped body into an hour glass, here is another one I just took.

The pants are a size 0, I started out in size 14's in these 3 years ago.
Shirt I have had for a few years.

But you can see how I have a tummy. Tummy weight is the worse health wise and I want it gone.

Scorbett I understand, we are our worst critics.

I am type A, who does a lot of business planning even in my sleep, so constant cortisol, hence the tummy. Working on chilling it out.

Last edited by sonyainva; 01-05-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
My weight loss stalled (for a few weeks) back in November. I remembered reading that Wuv's weight loss totally stalled at one point, and her coach had switched her on P3 temporarily (I believe it was for a week), then back to P1, in an effort to shock her body into further weight loss. It worked for Wuv, so I tried it too. I went on P3 for about 5 days, then switched back to strict P1. It got my weight loss started again. I wouldn't recommend this unless you have totally stalled in weight loss for several weeks. If you have a coach, I'd recommend you discuss this possibility with her.
I asked my coach to go to P3 to change things up, she was against it. I hope she agrees soon. Congrats Evepet on restarting your weight loss.

Roo2, I guess it is normal to have slow losses when we are so close.

Roo2 I just saw your stats and so excited we are the same height and weight, somehow it is nice to have a bud on the journey. I will have you to inspire me.

Last edited by sonyainva; 01-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #12  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Great job Sonya, you look great! I know what you mean about that tummy weight, ever since I had kids I got that issue (plus 4 c sections does not help) BUT at least I don't look pregnant anymore. lol

My son took a picture of me the other day sitting down, first thing I notice is a fat lump on my side... I was like oh no way am I posting THAT picture! But look back 42 lbs ago and it was WAY worse.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
Thanks Guys, my weight loss has not stalled just slow, and I know it will take time but would like to move to the next phase but my body is not ready.
Thanks ,Roo2
I'll bet if you did try phase 2 you would see your loss speed up a bit. your body likely has gotten very used to the protocol and needs a bit of a shakeup.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisto View Post
Great job Sonya, you look great! I know what you mean about that tummy weight, ever since I had kids I got that issue (plus 4 c sections does not help) BUT at least I don't look pregnant anymore. lol

My son took a picture of me the other day sitting down, first thing I notice is a fat lump on my side... I was like oh no way am I posting THAT picture! But look back 42 lbs ago and it was WAY worse.
Calisto, funny How as we lose more weight we are more critical of our appearances. I have an apple body shape and tummy is my nemesis

Please do post your picture, you have lost 42 pounds, that's huge. I encourage you to celebrate your success. One of the things I am learning is to be grateful for my loss, when we are not we tend to gain it back. I would say yes I lost 20 but I have 20 more to go, and end up regaining the same 20 pounds again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I'll bet if you did try phase 2 you would see your loss speed up a bit. your body likely has gotten very used to the protocol and needs a bit of a shakeup.
Patns- my coach won't let me do p3 yet, I might try to talk to her at the next weigh in.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #15  

Height: magmeepEVE

You look great, Sonya! And your house. Wow.

I agree, it makes a difference with being taller and not have to reach into the lower weight ranges. I'm there too. I think I'm going to try to get into the 140's, but I'm waiting to see what my body looks like. I still have stomach fat to get rid of, but I am getting back my hour glass shape that genetics gave me (and that I so hated for so long, but now, it's a welcome sight). I think the walking I've done most all my life, and continued doing while on IP has helped my legs, although they are still fluffy also.

I avoided mirrors and glass reflections over the last 8 years, as I gained weight, and in my mind, I was never visually the person who weighed 250 pounds, so I think that helps me see myself the way I look more now. Although damn the wrinkles that are now on my face.

You're doing great, Sonya, and I love how you're figuring out your body and the foods and the exercise! Congrats!
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote