Cold Cuts???

• Hi, Are we allowed cold cuts in P1? I never had them before but have some turkey and want to add a slice to my eggs...If it's not will it harm my progress of getting into ketosis...(I'm on Day 2 of my reboot).

Thanks!
    Maggie
  • A lot of those deli meats have sugar. I'd double-check first
  • Quote: A lot of those deli meats have sugar. I'd double-check first
    Yeah. I didn't think so. I was hoping for a magic wand to appear and make someone say "Yes, they are allowed"...wishful thinking!!!

Thanks!
    Maggie
  • As Lisa said, sugar! and God only knows what else! I don't keep my turkey leftovers in the frig for 2 weeks yet that stuff stays "fresh" for 2 weeks....made me think about what I was eating! but it is convenient!
  • My coach said yes! I eat cooked ham and smoked turkey both Walmart great value brands.
  • Quote: My coach said yes! I eat cooked ham and smoked turkey both Walmart great value brands.
    You have to be VERY careful with deli meats - they are high in sodium, many have carbs from the sugar used in processing, and one serving is generally WAY too low in protein to count as a dinner protein. That means you have to double, triple, or quadruple the serving size in order to get the right amount of protein (dinner protein should consist of 30-50g protein).
  • Maggie, I wouldn't interfere with the process when you are just getting into ketosis, but once you are firmly in it, then I would check the ingredients list; if it has no carbs or very low carb count, it is nice to sometimes change things a bit...of course also check the fat and protein content and all that...also salt - they may have too much...sure they'll have a whole slew of preservatives and chemicals, but...sometimes you just want it.