Old 02-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #46  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I love Mongolian stir fry restaurants. You can pick your protein and veggies and any sauces. Many have ingredients listed but I usually go with soy sauce, garlic broth and ginger.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 236.4 /217.4 / 153

Height: 5' 7.5"

I am venturing out to Applebee's on Sunday for lunch. Taking another newbie IP'r from work and Tigerlvr52 is going to show us how to order in a restaurant and stay on plan. I don't eat out often but am excited to see first hand how to work the menu to stay on goal.
stubbornostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Applebee's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbornostrich View Post
I am venturing out to Applebee's on Sunday for lunch. Taking another newbie IP'r from work and Tigerlvr52 is going to show us how to order in a restaurant and stay on plan. I don't eat out often but am excited to see first hand how to work the menu to stay on goal.
I eat there often and almost always ordered their Under 550 calorie salmon meal. It is supposed to be served on a bed of potatoes and vegetables, so I ask to trade the potatoes for double veggies, no or butter. The salmon comes with a sauce so I ask them to omit it. I have never had a problem with it coming exactly as I ask.

Portions are small, too, but if the salmon has a really nice char on it, I am in heaven.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 201/169/150

Height: 5'5"

Wink

Learned a valuable lesson last weekend at a new restaurant we tried (Dick's Last Resort) - when they say mixed veggies, ask what, specifically, they mean. I thought I did great, ordering grilled chicken and subbing double veggies for the rice side. But then my order came out - their mixed veggies was corn with diced red peppers. With a double order of that, I'm pretty sure I had the equivalent of a full can of corn on my plate! Ate the chicken and my (plain) Ceaser salad and chalked one up to experience.
MareDog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 245/196/185

Height: 5'8"

I love the Cafe Osage

4605 Olive St
Saint Louis, MO 63108
Central West End

Farm to Table Foods...

Last edited by dchild8989; 02-07-2014 at 02:10 PM.
dchild8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:56 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I have definitely been burned on veggies and have learned to ask what they are.

I now look at all the various entrees to see what veggies they offer them and then request the specific ones I want no matter what meal I am ordering. This has always worked!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchild8989 View Post
I love the Cafe Osage

4605 Olive St
Saint Louis, MO 63108
Central West End

Farm to Table Foods...
Sounds yummy after P1
Thanks for posting. I've never been there
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #53  

Height: 5'2

So went to Applebees and it was a bit of a bust. Ordered some Portobello mushroom chicken entrée with no sauce/cheese/potatoes/butter. It came cooked properly but had very little veg so I asked for more veg and the waitress brought me carrots/broccoli/zucchini with a clear, salty, gelatinous substance on it. She said it was "LBA - light butter alternative". I said can I please have some steamed veggies with nothing on them? She then brought out the exact same veggies with the same stuff on them, just piping hot. FML. I guess I'll be sticking to the more expensive Keg steakhouse ><.
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephascope View Post
So went to Applebees and it was a bit of a bust. Ordered some Portobello mushroom chicken entrée with no sauce/cheese/potatoes/butter. It came cooked properly but had very little veg so I asked for more veg and the waitress brought me carrots/broccoli/zucchini with a clear, salty, gelatinous substance on it. She said it was "LBA - light butter alternative". I said can I please have some steamed veggies with nothing on them? She then brought out the exact same veggies with the same stuff on them, just piping hot. FML. I guess I'll be sticking to the more expensive Keg steakhouse ><.
More and more of the chains have pre-prepared VERY processed entrees that are frozen and microwaved on site. If you get a vote in where to eat out... I'd avoid most of them (except for the steak places). Small non-chain restaurants usually work out MUCH better in my experience. Esp many of the mom and pop places that boast short order cooks. (We should support those small businesses whenever we can anyway! They are usually local owners!!)
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #55  

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
More and more of the chains have pre-prepared VERY processed entrees that are frozen and microwaved on site. If you get a vote in where to eat out... I'd avoid most of them (except for the steak places). Small non-chain restaurants usually work out MUCH better in my experience. Esp many of the mom and pop places that boast short order cooks. (We should support those small businesses whenever we can anyway! They are usually local owners!!)
I fully agree 65x65. Normally we don't eat at chain restaurants but decided tonight to try Applebees as a lot of folks on this forum have been had success ordering OP stuff. Most of the small business restaurants we go to are ethnic and not IP compatible (Indian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Moroccan etc). I will definitely stick to the places where I can get a nice cut of Alberta beef!
stephascope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 178/155/140

Height: 5'4"

Any strategies for Bertuccis? MIL wants to meet there for lunch next weekend.

I checked out their online menu and was surprised by the nutrition info on some of the items. For instance, their plain small salad (no dressing but with romano cheese that of course I'd ask them to leave off) has 21 carbs. Can that be right?

Their roasted eggplant pomodoro (says eggplant layered with sauce and finished with provolone) has 1050 calories and 113 carbs!! Yikes. If I hadn't looked at the nutrition info, I would have thought that was a pretty good choice (but with no cheese).

Their appetizer of tuscan roasted veggies sounds pretty good for 320 calories and 16 carbs. Has anyone had that before. Were there enough veggies to count for the two cups?

Thanks!
trinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #57  

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinny View Post
Any strategies for Bertuccis? MIL wants to meet there for lunch next weekend.

I checked out their online menu and was surprised by the nutrition info on some of the items. For instance, their plain small salad (no dressing but with romano cheese that of course I'd ask them to leave off) has 21 carbs. Can that be right?

Their roasted eggplant pomodoro (says eggplant layered with sauce and finished with provolone) has 1050 calories and 113 carbs!! Yikes. If I hadn't looked at the nutrition info, I would have thought that was a pretty good choice (but with no cheese).

Their appetizer of tuscan roasted veggies sounds pretty good for 320 calories and 16 carbs. Has anyone had that before. Were there enough veggies to count for the two cups?

Thanks!
Does she know you are watching what you eat? She does not need to know more than you want to share...but if she doesn't know, will you let her in on that much? Then you can tell her part of what you are doing to " watch" ..is plan appropriately and in checking their menu...it doesn't look very weight friendly for you at this time. Other idea is to run an end pass and call the restaurant yourself TODAY and ask if they can do a grilled chicken caesar salad for lunch and can it be done with or without notice. No croutons, no cheese... And you can ask for lemon wedges and olive oil..or bring some of your own. Or tell them you need a lo carb option..what can they suggest...?? They may have a menu that is not published. If the answer is nothing...thank them and let them know "for the record" if they have nothing you can eat, it's too bad, because you eat out with groups often have the ability to direct where the group you dine with chooses.

If MIL is aware you are watching, and chose this with out checking with you or insists anyway...you have some passive aggressive relationship things going on here..it's more complicated than a diet problem! You will have to chose depending on your relationship with her, how to approach it. I'd suggest another place close in the vicinity and same price range...or less.

Also, ask yourself:
Was this diet your idea or someone else's?
Not many people would go on a diet because someone else wanted you to do it.

If you go off plan..it should never be because of someone else either....that 's a cop out.

Likely you will need to face this multiple times before..and even after you hit goal. Time to start planning and strategizing...suggesting a place that has a few more salad options doesn't seem like it should present a problem. If it does....you need to do some soul searching. Many stay away from social situations they can't or are afraid they won't be strong enough to handle early on. That's not practical, and goes away as you get more comfortable and are feeling successful and confident. Maintenance is just how you handle each day going forward. And to be successful..that doesn't go away.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 178/155/140

Height: 5'4"

Wow, 65x65, thank you for such a thoughtful and comprehensive response!

To clarify, MIL is great and not passive aggressive at all. She recently had success on WW herself and would be incredibly supportive of any suggestion I made for a restaurant. I haven't told her the details of IP because I know how extreme it sounds to people who have had success with the "all things in moderation" mantra so I just don't want to leave it open for discussion at all.

MIL suggested Bertuccis because she knows that my kids will enjoy the meal there. We went to lunch there previously (a different location) and the kids had a nice time in a relaxed setting. There's a reasonably-priced lunch menu that has lots of options (pizza/pasta for kids, soup/salad/sandwiches for adults), so I think she was trying to be thoughtful and come up with something she expected we'd all enjoy. And normally she'd be right on the money with this choice.

I could definitely suggest another restaurant, and she'd be very open to it. The problem is that we're meeting her at a museum that is closer to her home than ours (couple hours away). Not sure what else is in the area so I think it's easiest to just go with her suggestion.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather just find a way to make this menu work with the plan. At this point, I'm thinking of the roasted veggies with either an RTD shake that I bring with me or I'll ask for a double order of the shrimp they add to salads (so 8 oz) and that can serve as my natural protein for the day.

And I'm on this plan 100% by my own choice and I'm very committed to making it work. I'm not suggesting MIL is trying to sabotage me at all! For the first time, I'm finding myself strong enough to fight all kinds of temptations. This weekend I sipped black coffee while my DD enjoyed a doughnut after church. That would have been nearly impossible for me before.
trinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #59  

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinny View Post
Wow, 65x65, thank you for such a thoughtful and comprehensive response!

To clarify, MIL is great and not passive aggressive at all. She recently had success on WW herself and would be incredibly supportive of any suggestion I made for a restaurant. I haven't told her the details of IP because I know how extreme it sounds to people who have had success with the "all things in moderation" mantra so I just don't want to leave it open for discussion at all.

MIL suggested Bertuccis because she knows that my kids will enjoy the meal there. We went to lunch there previously (a different location) and the kids had a nice time in a relaxed setting. There's a reasonably-priced lunch menu that has lots of options (pizza/pasta for kids, soup/salad/sandwiches for adults), so I think she was trying to be thoughtful and come up with something she expected we'd all enjoy. And normally she'd be right on the money with this choice.

I could definitely suggest another restaurant, and she'd be very open to it. The problem is that we're meeting her at a museum that is closer to her home than ours (couple hours away). Not sure what else is in the area so I think it's easiest to just go with her suggestion.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather just find a way to make this menu work with the plan. At this point, I'm thinking of the roasted veggies with either an RTD shake that I bring with me or I'll ask for a double order of the shrimp they add to salads (so 8 oz) and that can serve as my natural protein for the day.

And I'm on this plan 100% by my own choice and I'm very committed to making it work. I'm not suggesting MIL is trying to sabotage me at all! For the first time, I'm finding myself strong enough to fight all kinds of temptations. This weekend I sipped black coffee while my DD enjoyed a doughnut after church. That would have been nearly impossible for me before.
GOOD FOR YOU!! I'm so glad to read this...

Our anniversary is Valentines day...last year...we just did a seafood IP compliant dinner...and I skipped the champagne! First real test of the diet..and the first time in 40+ years I did not have an adult beverage to celebrate. It was actually easier than I thought...and all I did was plan ahead and stuck to my salads and protein. This is a busy month for us..husbands B-day, daughter's B-day ... SIL and 2 granddaughters also have B-days... all in a 2 week time frame.. Last year..I had NOT told my spouse the details of what I was doing..just that I was watching and did not want to be in a situation where it would be hard to stay on track. There will always be something...as many others have posted, and it is easy to talk yourself over the edge.

My advice..is to stay the course. How long have you been on this?? ...Holidays, birthdays, celebrations of all kinds...just plan how you'll do it. You won't be sorry. You may be if you allow other events to dictate your resolve thou'. Some look for forgiveness on this forum...you will find a few who do...but they really don't matter...This is all about you.

There will always be something.. and most of these events are repeat calendar affairs!! Next year will be so much easier..and you'll find maintenance will be easier if you just start to manage yourself. I'd call the restaurant. The veggies must be starchy ones...to be that high in calories...or they have some sugar or flour dredging...that is way high. Same with the salad..probably full of nuts and dried fruit...or not great veggies for a dieter. You probably know what the nutritional makeup of an IP compliant salad should read...300+ calories...with no meat?? Something not right at all....

Actually, I would be surprised if they could NOT do a plain grilled Cesar salad...very surprised! Good luck...
Old 02-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #60  

Default Bertuccis...

TRINNY:
Check their Gluten Free menu...they DO have a small salad...150 cal...veggies look right...eliminate the olives and the cheese and you lose a few calories........might have to pick around a few other ingredients......and you can add grilled chicken.....shrimp or salmon....

Insalata

Mixed leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and black olives topped with Romano cheese.

Small $4.99
Large $6.99
Add Grilled Chicken $3.00
Add Grilled Shrimp (4) $4.00
Add Grilled Salmon* (5 oz) $5.00

Nutrition
Brick Oven Favorite

Serving Size 1 Serving (sm. without dressing)
Calories 150
Fat (g) 6
Saturated Fat (g) 2.5
Protein (g) 7
Carbohydrates (g) 21
Fiber (mg) 5
Sodium (mg) 320