Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #31  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

OK, holiday/life stress got the better of me today, thankfully I dealt with it IP style but I'm still not happy with myself because of it.

I am having another one of those years where I feel like everyone wants a piece of me, and all I want to do is enjoy the holidays with my kids. But this one wants us to visit on a certain day, my mother in law wants the grandkids to help her decorate HER tree, and the only day my SIL can be there happens to be the day I planned to do OUR tree decorating. I'm late for everything because I can never finish something in time to move on to the next thing. I'm COOKED.

So I had a tearful convo with hubby on the ride home from picking him up at college. Stress levels were up, and I hadn't eaten lunch. I grabbed one of my Fudge & Graham bars, and started eating it while I was finishing up a baking order that I needed to deliver on my way to work. Got that packaged up, and couldn't find the other half of my bar. Started getting stressed again, decided to just grab another bar. By the time I finished that, I found the other half of the first one.

What bothers me is that I ATE IT. Yes, it was still an IP product, yes doing an extra restricted today isn't going to kill me...but it was the fact that I had eaten half a bar, proceeded to eat a whole other bar, and then ALSO ate the other half even though I knew I didn't need it. It was TOTALLY stress eating.

I'm sure it's just life stress plus holiday stress getting overwhelming...but I am going to have to come up with better strategies for dealing with it, otherwise I am DOOMED if it hits me when I'm in maintenance!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #32  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

OK, holiday/life stress got the better of me today, thankfully I dealt with it IP style but I'm still not happy with myself because of it.

I am having another one of those years where I feel like everyone wants a piece of me, and all I want to do is enjoy the holidays with my kids. But this one wants us to visit on a certain day, my mother in law wants the grandkids to help her decorate HER tree, and the only day my SIL can be there happens to be the day I planned to do OUR tree decorating. I'm late for everything because I can never finish something in time to move on to the next thing. I'm COOKED.

So I had a tearful convo with hubby on the ride home from picking him up at college. Stress levels were up, and I hadn't eaten lunch. I grabbed one of my Fudge & Graham bars, and started eating it while I was finishing up a baking order that I needed to deliver on my way to work. Got that packaged up, and couldn't find the other half of my bar. Started getting stressed again, decided to just grab another bar. By the time I finished that, I found the other half of the first one.

What bothers me is that I ATE IT. Yes, it was still an IP product, yes doing an extra restricted today isn't going to kill me...but it was the fact that I had eaten half a bar, proceeded to eat a whole other bar, and then ALSO ate the other half even though I knew I didn't need it. It was TOTALLY stress eating.

I'm sure it's just life stress plus holiday stress getting overwhelming...but I am going to have to come up with better strategies for dealing with it, otherwise I am DOOMED if it hits me when I'm in maintenance!
Oh sweetie go easy on yourself. You are a rockstar and you are human. Mother-in-law stress is the worst! As you have advised MANY others, get back 100% right now and you will be fine. NO ONE can be absolutely perfect all the time and even the best of the best have a weak moment. I personally think you are going to be just as great during maintenance as you have been throughout your IP journey. Hang in there!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #33  

I AM DONE!!! Finals are OVER and I got all A's! I have been so busy and I don't see anything slowing down for me any time soon. I survived my first FUN day! I stuck with my typical phase 3 breakfast and phase 2 lunch and was more relaxed at dinner. I went to my hubby's Christmas party and enjoyed the nice dinner but still passed on the baked potato AND the dessert! I really do not crave the sweets like I used to. I was really proud of myself. At first I was worried I would go nuts once I got to maintenance but I am so aware of nutritional content in foods now. I really don't want to waste calories and carbs on things I am not really craving badly.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #34  

Quote:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Before I made it to 100%, I had several days of more than one restricted. It is not the end of the world. It is a signal that we still reach for food as a coping mechanism. Surprise! We've been doing something new for a few months and we expect to have changed a lifetime of habits (sort've overnite). And then we're PO'd at ourselves when we slip back into old ways.
You didn't eat everything in sight. You ate something extra from the plan. And you didn't hide it. You admitted it. Huge change, I bet, from previous behavior.
I "get" why you are mad at yourself but I hope you are gentle with yourself, as well. Know that you are learning new behaviors and new ways of reacting and it doesn't all come naturally. Change to something new takes time. It is a learning curve

You are doing great!
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

Quote:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

You are one of the inspiring women on this site for me.
Read dr tran's book over the weekend, he talks about our relationship with food. One of the things we have to overcome is feeling guilty when we eat something. You ate, he says enjoy it, savor it and from the next moment start fresh.

It's a busy time of the year, you have a lot on your plate, be compassionate to yourself.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #36  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Scorbett- sending a big hug your way. Take some deep breathes and relax. It happened, it doesnt mean it will happen again in maintenance.

Holly- way to go!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #37  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks guys Definitely need the boost today

It's so true that we shouldn't feel guilty about eating anything, it's the emotional separation from food that needs to be addressed (stress eating in my case). I think I was less guilty about having that extra restricted, than about knowing that I made a conscious choice to eat the rest of that other bar - it wasn't a mindless act, I actually thought "I shouldn't eat this because I just had one...but screw it, I'm in a bad mood and I'm going to eat it anyway". THAT is what I want to examine a little bit, because my HEAD knows that food really doesn't do anything to help. It didn't make me feel better, it actually made me too full so that I ended up not eating any veggies at lunch and had all 4 cups at dinner. I really think I shoved that other half in my face out of spite!!!

I'm trying to appreciate the fact that this holiday seems to have multiple extra layers of emotion attached to it. My mother in law is one of my best friends, I love her as if she were my own mom - and I know WHY she wants to get the grandkids together. Her mom (hubby's Mimi) passed away in January after a bad bout with CHF. Her dad has advancing alzheimers and lives in the in-law apartment attached to their house - he is usually pretty ok but lately has been looking for Mimi and not believing people when they tell him she passed. My MIL recently had a health scare, and found out she has autoimmune hepatitis, and she's had a rough go with the medications she has to take. After all that, she is definitely needing some grandbaby cheer. In my case, I am stressed about the load I carry at home (hubby is a full time student and I've been working 2-3 jobs to keep us afloat till he graduates in May), and I've been wondering if I just had a WHOOSH because I can feel my emotions on edge more than they should be. Darn estrogen!

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm so glad I can vent here and get my clean slate tomorrow
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #38  

Scorbett, sweetie, vent anytime
We're all in this together, even tho we all have different issues
Hang in there...
Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
I AM DONE!!! Finals are OVER and I got all A's! I have been so busy and I don't see anything slowing down for me any time soon. I survived my first FUN day! I stuck with my typical phase 3 breakfast and phase 2 lunch and was more relaxed at dinner. I went to my hubby's Christmas party and enjoyed the nice dinner but still passed on the baked potato AND the dessert! I really do not crave the sweets like I used to. I was really proud of myself. At first I was worried I would go nuts once I got to maintenance but I am so aware of nutritional content in foods now. I really don't want to waste calories and carbs on things I am not really craving badly.
CONGRATULATIONS on the finals! I don't think I could do school again. It's great to hear about your maintenance success too! It's a huge unknown for me and I've been trying not to overthink it too much

Quote:

It's so true that we shouldn't feel guilty about eating anything, it's the emotional separation from food that needs to be addressed (stress eating in my case). I think I was less guilty about having that extra restricted, than about knowing that I made a conscious choice to eat the rest of that other bar - it wasn't a mindless act, I actually thought "I shouldn't eat this because I just had one...but screw it, I'm in a bad mood and I'm going to eat it anyway". THAT is what I want to examine a little bit, because my HEAD knows that food really doesn't do anything to help. It didn't make me feel better, it actually made me too full so that I ended up not eating any veggies at lunch and had all 4 cups at dinner. I really think I shoved that other half in my face out of spite!!!

I'm trying to appreciate the fact that this holiday seems to have multiple extra layers of emotion attached to it. My mother in law is one of my best friends, I love her as if she were my own mom - and I know WHY she wants to get the grandkids together. Her mom (hubby's Mimi) passed away in January after a bad bout with CHF. Her dad has advancing alzheimers and lives in the in-law apartment attached to their house - he is usually pretty ok but lately has been looking for Mimi and not believing people when they tell him she passed. My MIL recently had a health scare, and found out she has autoimmune hepatitis, and she's had a rough go with the medications she has to take. After all that, she is definitely needing some grandbaby cheer. In my case, I am stressed about the load I carry at home (hubby is a full time student and I've been working 2-3 jobs to keep us afloat till he graduates in May), and I've been wondering if I just had a WHOOSH because I can feel my emotions on edge more than they should be. Darn estrogen!

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm so glad I can vent here and get my clean slate tomorrow
First of all HUGE HUG!!!!! Second, I think you're doing exactly what you need to. You're identifying and analyzing the trigger. You'll figure out a different way to deal with it from this experience. It's much better to identify them on phase 1 than wait til maintenance!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 150/123.4/115

Height: 5'2

Calm by dr Peter is great for relaxing you, magnesium basically
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #41  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Quote:

Sending hugs your way. So sorry about your experience today but I think you did great under the circumstances. And it is not always about the journey but rather the lessons learned from the journey. Your journey sounds pretty full right now so I think that you need to forgive yourself and move on.

Tonight I got an email from my coach. She sends these inspirational messages weekly along with the reminder to send in our food order so she can have it ready. With the recent theme about fear, maintenance, emotions, etc. I thought her words had extra special meaning. Plus it is a good time of the year to spend a few minutes for ourselves, remember our year, acknowledge our achievements and set our sights forward to the gift of our year ahead. So here are the words of my coach:

ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF 2012 & GET READY TO ROCK YOUR 2013!!!
During the remainder of this year 2012, create an opportunity to look over the past year and acknowledge your accomplishments. Give yourself the gift of self-gratitude and list out your achievements - big and small. We just don't do this often enough! Write out a list even!!! Now while you do that, consider the challenges that you have moved through and grown beyond! What lessons can you take away from those situations? Preserve the lessons and let go of the any lingering negative emotions and memories. We sometimes mistake that we need to hold on to the emotions, like fear or anger, thinking on some level that they protect us and guide us. No, no, no... it's the lessons learned from those situations that gives us the wisdom and guidance that keeps us safe and helps us to make better choices as we move forward. So let go of the old limiting emotions for they can cloud things, and really acknowledge and preserve the lessons. Then look to 2013! I love the start of a New Year; it's full of hope and promise of a terrific year ahead that's wide open to all possibilities! What would you like to create, be and do that would enhance your life? What's one thing you would love to create next year, that at Dec. 2013 looking back you would say, "Wow, what an amazing year!"? As your coach, I would love to support you in making that happen!!! So, if you're willing, let me know, and I would love to help you rock your 2013 into a wonderful year!!!! It is possible! Let's do it!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #42  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

I'm just popping in to say hi. I've been offline lately due to crazy business but I miss all the chat so had to come have my 3FC fix. We're off to Florida for the holiday, so I have 5 more days of mayhem, then I'll be off for 2 weeks to relax, catch up on sleep and reading my 3FC recipes... looking forward to that!

In case I'm not on again for a bit, Merry Christmas to you all!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmmommy2 View Post
First of all HUGE HUG!!!!! Second, I think you're doing exactly what you need to. You're identifying and analyzing the trigger. You'll figure out a different way to deal with it from this experience. It's much better to identify them on phase 1 than wait til maintenance!
Never thought of it that way, and your absolutely right that it is SO important to figure out what triggers each of us, Boredom, stress, filling a void, etc. I am absolutely in awe of all of you who are doing this plan with children and large families and all the other personal challenges, I don't know how you guys do it. I only have to worry about myself and my DH (and pets) and with all the extra hormones even that is enough to make me crazy at times. I think you should all give yourselves a pat on the back and see how OUTSTANDINGLY STRONG YOU ARE!!! I feel very privileged to be on this journey with you

Last edited by MonicaKolesnik; 12-17-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I'm just popping in to say hi. I've been offline lately due to crazy business but I miss all the chat so had to come have my 3FC fix. We're off to Florida for the holiday, so I have 5 more days of mayhem, then I'll be off for 2 weeks to relax, catch up on sleep and reading my 3FC recipes... looking forward to that!

In case I'm not on again for a bit, Merry Christmas to you all!
HI!!! I've missed you!!!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #45  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
HI!!! I've missed you!!!
Thanks! It's funny -- this time of year we think of family and friends and that's probably why you're all on my mind! We've had all of our "festivities" early because we'll be travelling, so I almost feel like I've made it through the holidays already! Work parties and family parties all done. Now just to make it through this busy week at school, and pack up for our trip and then I'll have time to surf the latest IP recipes and get ready for the New Year.
4 more long days to go! LOL... The kids are just a WEE bit excited that Chrismtas is almost here. Aren't we all I guess Have a good one!
Closed Thread